The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    As an expert on entomology, I can say with a confidence level exceeding 99.9% that it is a common brushtail possum.
  • Shaggie is my younger cat. Onyx is the older.

She will eat literally anything. Even if it will make her sick.
  • FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Renowned Horrorman Kris Straub Reveals Development-Ready “Nightmares Park”
    August 11, 2015

Seattle, WA – Kris Straub, creator of Candle Cove (now in series development at SyFy) and Broodhollow (not in development because period piece = too $$$) is giving idea-birth to a new horror legend: Nightmares Park.

“It’s basically just Jurassic Park but I replaced the dinosaurs with nightmares,” said Straub as he typed this. “It’s pretty much just going to be Jurassic Park but about dreams.”

When the sleep research conglomerate Oneirosyn licenses their dream-realization technology to a theme park company, they end up creating the world’s most terrifying attraction: a place where everyone’s worst dreams become real… but safely behind glass. That is, unless the man the cages are wired to falls asleep.

“It doesn’t make a lot of sense as a device, but there had to be a way for things to go wrong,” said Straub. Straub was talking again. “Maybe I should do it where the guy has to wake up, and that makes the nightmares escape. But then that implies that it’s just his own nightmares. I wanted it to be everyone’s nightmares. That will pay off better later.”

“The best Straub in horror is back,” said me.

Kris Straub is not Peter Straub’s son but he once saw The Talisman at an airport bookstore.

Please release this press release immediately, like it said at the top. Thank you.

• My dreams exceed my real life
    SA hates Max Landis, because RLM told them to.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I don't know anything about Max Landis, and I'm not sure I want to.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    renowned horrorman
  • Dusty keeps sleeping on the cable box.

I don't know anything about Max Landis, and I'm not sure I want to.

He is the son of John Landis, who directed the music video for Thriller, and also some movies.

He himself directed Chronicle.

SA hates him, because they have no ability to form opinions unless the funny rapeman they worship tells them to.
    renowned rapeman
  • this is the 10th level of hell and nothing even rhymes
  • Everyone I follow is becoming fictionkin and it's weeeeeeeird
    I'm not fictionkin! I'm cowlibrariankin.
    Would it be called Dovahkiinkin?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Kexruct said:

Everyone I follow is becoming fictionkin and it's weeeeeeeird

What now.

There's a difference between identifying with something and saying you are a thing and I guess it's all in fun but I thought that was pretty rare?
  • Not even remotely. Most otherkin on tumblr are fictives with 10+ kin
    It's weird that the chicken crossing the road is the most cliche joke, when it's actually anti-humor.
    Kexruct said:

Not even remotely. Most otherkin on tumblr are fictives with 10+ kin

That is...
    Going to watch a movie with my mom now. See y'all!
  • Odradek said:

It's weird that the chicken crossing the road is the most cliche joke, when it's actually anti-humor.

The version we know is an anti-humor subversion. The setup is what's cliche.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_did_the_chicken_cross_the_road? Wikipedia suggests they came about at the same time.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    . . . y'know when i was a kid my dad taught me the answer 'for some fowl purpose' and i thought that was so clever

that came first?
    Papyrus no longer believes in you.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I remember being mildly disappointed when I looked into the Tumblr kin community and found a good chunk of it to be fictionkin

Like, I'm in no state to spit on other people's coping mechanisms, but it's not very interesting to me

You can be anything you can possibly imagine...and so you're Kankri Vantas. Yay?

Granted, my coping mechanism is pretending I'm a near-omnipotent magical princess, so like I said, no room to talk
    TBF, if I were ever to become a kin of anyone, it would probably be Karkat, so I can't complain too much about that.
    Tachyon said:

. . . y'know when i was a kid my dad taught me the answer 'for some fowl purpose' and i thought that was so clever

that came first?

This and the plumber story is indicating to me that your dad tells the best dad jokes.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

TBF, if I were ever to become a kin of anyone, it would probably be Karkat, so I can't complain too much about that.

I dunno what the popular thing is now but when I was last really into it during early 2013 (during my alicornkin phase) there were SOOOO many Homestuck fictives

It's like when you go to a convention and you see a good 90% of the people in costume are Homestuck trolls, because of course they are
    [insert Homosuck joke here]
    I remember when I first realized that being Princess of Centralia was a coping mechanism for what I feel to be a lack of control (and, to an extent, lack of agency) in my actual life

It was weird because suddenly this playful land of make-believe has this question attached of "would I even be entertaining this if not for my mental illness?"

I mean, I suppose it doesn't matter in the end, since it does really help me get through the day sometimes, but you know...it was weird to think about for a while
  • edited 2015-11-03 02:29:37
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    "quit digging and start living!"

edmund i am going to make you play as the lost where every run has thin-room haunt
  • if people were telling me I was the worst person to ever make a video game I'd be making cryptic tweets just to piss people off too
  • kill living beings
    betterthanyoukin

a coping mechanism, since you are better than me
  • i say im catkin because saying cats are my spirit animal would be cultural appropriation
    My relationship with the whole otherkin thing is weird

Perhaps most obvious, there was that time in 2013 when I was like "I'M LITERALLY AN ALICORN IN A HUMAN'S BODY" and @Anonus and @Section42L just went along with it because I'm me

That slowly morphed into being the princess of "Centralia", a name I often wish I'd put more thought into because it makes people think of an abandoned town that's been on fire for 50 years

But I never really applied the term "kin" to the princess thing, even though that's effectively what it is...I just say I'm "literally" a magical princess in a parallel universe

But of course I do use the term "kin" to describe my occasional desires to be a teenager, a doll, etc...but I'm note nearly as invested in those as I am in literally being a magical princess
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Odradek said:

naney said:
    Watch Dogs 2 is looking way better than the first.
    watch_dogs 2: literally just deus ex
    Odradek said:

bill watterson did ice bucket challenge
  • edited 2015-11-03 03:29:34
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Hey, Zeether, you there?

I remember seeing "Helga on the Couch" when I was young, at my grandma's house (we didn't have nickelodeon), and it was quite comforting.

^Calvin looks so sad in that third to last panel.
    my first encounter with otherkin was pretty negative, kind of soured me on the whole thing for a while, you guys helped me lighten up about it

i still can't really imagine being an otherkin because i dunno, my brain doesn't seem to work that way, i find it hard to internalize things that aren't literally true
    Like I said, I've internalized the princess thing largely because I can't deal with some things that are literally true.
  • edited 2015-11-03 03:39:34
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it's your coping mechanism and it works for you, i'm not knocking it

idk i don't want to be melodramatic but i feel like with me it's like, i can't deal with things that are literally true in my life, but things that aren't literally true are just intrinsically inadequate to me, so i'm a buzzkill 24/7
    i feel kind of bad

idk

i'm sorry if that was rude

i want to make it clear i was just musing on my own subjective experiences, up there, not commenting on anyone else's subjective experiences or the validity of such

honestly other people's fantasies tend to feel more 'literally real' to me than my own, since i experience them as part of the external world rather than something i created (idk if that makes sense)
    Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

that came first?

This and the plumber story is indicating to me that your dad tells the best dad jokes.
    Yiss.
    I didn't think it was rude, I just didn't have a response.

For a while I worried that treating my princesshood and magical powers as if they're real meant I'm delusional, but ultimately I decided that even if it does I'd rather be delusional and happy than lucid and sad.

Increasingly, it's become an integral part of my dreams now. It used to be that Princess dreams were few and far between, but now in my dreams I'm a magic princess by default.
    Having a fantasy persona seems perfectly fine to me so long as you don't impose any unfair expectations on other people because of them. Like, don't expect the plumber to kiss your rings and call you "Your Highness."
  • That would be kinda cool if the plumber did that though.
  • also hi Sredni

I'm listening to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
    Unless that's the kind of relationship that you have with your plumber.

After all, that tap on the door...
  • On fictionkin: a couple of my friends identify as fictional characters like this in some way and I don't particularly have any issues with it as a result, though I will say that I don't think I really qualify for it

Much as I love calling myself Rayman or Tiny, I know that I'm really just myself (albeit a self that identifies greatly with both of them and a few other characters, like Finn and Mordecai).
    my dad is big on dad jokes, i guess

also dadrock

i never saw anything wrong with having a fantasy persona