Comments

• Pasta!
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    imageimage

Carbuncle!
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Cute!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Final Fantasy derp lizards look like they evolved from Eevee.
    idk how i missed the Cainscross Road cycle path post
    Final Fantasy derp lizards look like they evolved from Eevee.
    first edition derp lizard
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I like how it's simultaneously of low intelligence, and smart enough to actively manipulate people. With its non-psionic telepathy.
    There are several first edition monsters that are shenanigans of the highest order.
  • dissertation is going so slowlyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • Augé is cool as hell tho
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I didn't need to wake up to political crap on my Facebook feed.
    Instantly skip all posts that aren't about cute animals or stuff happening in their personal lives.
    http://imgur.com/a/YCHuT#I0IhTRj

This is some cool world-building
    That is cool.  i like it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Let's Be British
    Tachyon said:

That is cool.  i like it.

Yes.

I was hoping there was more, but I could not find it.
    I wonder if part of the King James Bible's continuing popularity is that it's written in Elizabethan era English, and because of Shakespeare the average person thinks that sounds more poetic.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

there's no way Disney isn't doing this on purpose now
  • edited 2015-08-20 15:25:05
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    probably, Odradek

but i think it is genuinely written in more poetic language than some subsequent translations that prioritize accessibility or fidelity to the Hebrew/Greek
    do you believe in Sherlock Holmes

there's no way Disney isn't doing this on purpose now
    literally no way
    also i'm stealing that as a reaction image
  • Everyone thinks that Shakespearian plays are all flowery and lovely.

Except they're not.
    does anyone actually think that?

i mean we all read them in schools, if you studied Macbeth or Hamlet or Romeo & Juliet you know they end in tears
    I'm bored and feel like shitposting

Also I want a Union Jack dress
    Even though I'm not sure the UK, being a place on Earth, even exists in the same universe as Centralia
  • Some people think that Romeo and Juliet is the example of a perfect relationship.

Because a three day courtship between a 13 year old and a 17 year old that ends in six deaths is sooo perfect~
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Tools said:

Some people think that Romeo and Juliet is the example of a perfect relationship.

Because a three day courtship between a 13 year old and a 17 year old that ends in six deaths is sooo perfect~

They probably got the idea from either a) the DiCaprio movie or b) the Hey Arnold episode

Even though I'm not sure the UK, being a place on Earth, even exists in the same universe as Centralia

Bookersted is accessible from the UK, Centralia is accessible from Bookersted
    "It's Monday is actually due Thursday."
    Tachyon said:

So to get from Queen City to Cardiff requires transferring trains at Bookersted?

Tachyon said:

Robot Princess?
    What about As You Like it! That ends happily!
  • Odradek said:

What about As You Like it! That ends happily!

sponsored by burger king

Tachyon said:

So to get from Queen City to Cardiff requires transferring trains at Bookersted?

Tachyon said:

Robot Princess?

yes & yes
    Also a Midsummer Night's Dream.

And Much Ado About Nothing.

And Titus Andronicus
  • edited 2015-08-20 15:58:51
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Odradek said:

Also a Midsummer Night's Dream.

And Much Ado About Nothing.

And Titus Andronicus

The comedies aren't generally grim or depressing, no (Measure for Measure is pretty dark though), but in my experience in school they always make you suffer through the tragedies, because literature class is only about depressing books! :p

(This isn't entirely true, we did read The Winter's Tale which has a happy ending, but that was only after Macbeth, Othello and R&J)

Anyway, i'm not saying Shakespeare never wrote happy stuff, just that it's weird to me that anyone would get the impression his plays are all light and fluffy when they presumably had to read Shakespearean tragedy for school.

And Titus Andronicus is kind of a campy gore-fest.  Fun on those terms but definitely not one of his stronger plays imo.
    Have you seen the movie of Titus Andronicus?
    Jullie Taymor's Titus?  i have, yeah.

Hell of a weird movie, but really good as a result.
    I thought the DiCaprio R+J was bad but knowing that it's actually a very accurate adaptation makes it all the more interesting now.

Also that scene with the aquarium is cute. Too bad it's Romeo & Juliet.
    To clarify, by "campy gore-fest" i was referring to the play as scripted, not the movie which takes a lot of artistic liberties
  • Odradek said:

And Titus Andronicus
    Sponsored by McSoylent
    Zeether said:

I thought the DiCaprio R+J was bad but knowing that it's actually a very accurate adaptation makes it all the more interesting now.

It's not really?  The dialogue is edited, whole chunks of it are taken out of context and repurposed (most glaringly, making the Queen Mab speech about drugs), and also some of the delivery is really bad.

FWIW i liked that movie, but it's definitely not a faithful adaptation of Shakespeare's script.
    R+J did result in the writing of one of my absolute favourite songs

Tachyon said:

Zeether said:

It's not really?  The dialogue is edited, whole chunks of it are taken out of context and repurposed (most glaringly, making the Queen Mab speech about drugs), and also some of the delivery is really bad.

FWIW i liked that movie, but it's definitely not a faithful adaptation of Shakespeare's script.
    Brows Held High had a bit on it saying that it was actually pretty good at adapting the play, but since Blip is shutting down I can't really get the link.
    "pretty good", sure, "very accurate", no
    Roland Emmerich made a Shakespeare didn't write Shakespeare movie.

I wonder if people will do this with artists today.

For instance, the movie Independence Day is all about America, and other cultures are shown only as broad stereotypes looking on in the distance. The author must have been an American by birth.

Two central characters either are, or were, fighter pilots, so the author must have been in the air force at some point.

The highest levels of government are shown, therefore the author must have had personal knowledge of such things, even being part of the Executive branch himself.

Therefore, the true creator of Independence Day could only have been one man

George-W-Bush.jpeg
    I finally got Ruby working enough to update @avenue_ebook's database to make her sound even more like me

It was actually relatively painless this time