The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    We can't stop him now, he's taken over the system
  • I'm going from Ubuntu to Lubuntu on my netbook. Plain Ubuntu was good and all but it was bloated.
  • In other news, Mean Girls is on again.

Great movie. Gosh, TBS likes Lindsay Lohan tonight, huh?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I might install Lubuntu soon, though I want to get some blank DVDs so I can back up my stuff first.
  • Are you on Ubuntu? If so, it's letting me keep my stuff by "upgrading" (even though both of them are Ubuntu 11.10).

Though, only time will tell whether or not it'll work. I can't say I mind too much because the only valuable things I have are synced up with Google Chrome, which in a way caused me to switch.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I missed the Sonic SAT:AM stuff and Candy Valley stuff?!

Stupid real life, what you ever do for me?
  • edited 2012-04-07 02:17:07
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I think that was AOSTH, Justice.

...god, it would have been funny if AOSTH Robotnik were in Sonic Generations, but Long John Baldry is long dead and I don't know if Mike Pollock could do his voice well...and it's implausible anyway.
  • edited 2012-04-07 02:18:43
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I love that "p=pony" is a real page.

^^^ Windows 7, here. This would be my first Ubuntu installation of any kind.

Haven made some references that where clearly SAT:AM, namely, the theme song, which has been tattooed onto my brain since the show came out.

Also, yay Rarity and Outlaw start! 

And some other things got talked about which are interesting, but I guess it's good the impact these things could have on me is pretty nominal at this point.
  • edited 2012-04-07 02:24:29
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    ^ And here I thought I was the only one suffering from chronic SATAMthemeitis.
    According to Wikipedia, "many English-speaking tourists travelling in nearby Austria make a detour to Wank."
  • edited 2012-04-07 02:33:33
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

^^ XD

^ "You know what would be cool? If Space ships had fists to punch other space ships!"

O_O

And then everyone in Sunrise, Inc. got promotions that day.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So Ohio's new license plate (due later this year) is going to be covered in slogans:

The BMV held an online questionnaire thing to see which slogans would be included, and apparently "With God, All Things Are Possible" was one of the clear winners. Do you think I would get in trouble if I blacked that one out on my plate?
  • edited 2012-04-07 02:35:54
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Do you think it would be that visible?

...also I told the waitress at Ruby Tuesday about Gotham yesterday to see how she would react. She did not really react to it.
  • edited 2012-04-07 02:37:19
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't know.

Honestly, the question is mostly academic, because I know 30 years ago or so the courts ruled in favor of a New Hampshire man who blacked out "LIVE FREE OR DIE" on his license plate and I wonder if the same sort of rules would apply in this case.
  • why cover it in slogans?

that's so....cheap.

"You know what would be cool? If Space ships had fists to punch other space ships!"
    O_O
    And then everyone in Sunrise, Inc. got promotions that day.

Pretty much.

Also I think I may like Melfina a little too much.

I'm not sure if there was character I didn't like. Aisha could get a tad obnoxious at times, but it never made me dislike her as a character.

Also, Outlaw Star had Tao pirates....and that's just awesome.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ^^But just use Gotham and it'll look awesome...they think so, anyway.
  • Aisha's funny, though. So she's allowed to be obnoxious.

I raeg'd when they killed Hilda, though. Did not see that one coming. Probably should've, but..yeah.

• edited 2012-04-07 02:48:46
    Well, it is Ohio. Not exactly much to work with there.

For comparison this is our current design:

Of course, the state hasn't done a general re-issue in over 21 years, so plates issued as far back as 1996 are still valid with stickers.

Shame that. She was also a very well designed character. 

Are you watching the original uncensored version? 

Cartoon Network had to censor a bunch of stuff, including the hot springs episode...which is mostly fan-service, but their are a few important plot elements in it.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-04-07 02:51:12
    Well, I can't even see where it is, but it's probably a better idea to white it out if possible.

Also, dear god that new license plate is such an improvement. Plus it doesn't make the "birthplace of aviation" thing a big deal; apparently some North Carolinians get all hot and bothered about that claim.
    That was just a sample design made before the slogans were selected, so it might not even be on there.

But yeah, whiting it out would be far less conspicuous.
  • Justice: Indeed I am.

Though I've stopped for the day, think it's my Super Bedtime now. 'night

• Ohio's DMV is a BMV?

Odd.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-04-07 03:04:28
    It seems that Madonna knows exactly how to wriggle her songs into people's heads.

I'm neither a girl nor am I going wild, so having "Girl Gone Wild" stuck in my hippocampus auditory cortex is just unfitting. But still, it's there.
  • edited 2012-04-07 03:02:36
    Yeah, "Bureau of Motor Vehicles".

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably named that because it's part of the larger Department of Public Safety, and having departments within departments could get confusing.

Ooh, is the department head Lady Redundant Woman from WordGirl?

/2009-self's guilty pleasure
  • Yes finally, a patriot willing to speak out against the idea of highways connecting areas!
    what is that from Haven?
  • The sadness will last forever.

[Capt.+Berlin.jpg]

Spiderman mask = awesome

• ^^ Someone commenting on a news story about someone in Arizona's legislature refusing to vote for a highway through Arizona because it would be the final link to merge the US with Canada and Mexico, turning them all into one country using a currency called "the Amero".
    ...what the crap.
    party
  • $5 a page of avatars?

But, what if you're British?
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    @Tools: That's in American dollars. You pay the equivalent in British money.

Also, this is very important, but when you delete an Avatar, if you shared it or somebody shared it with you, it's not fully deleted. It means that everybody has to delete the same ones.

Protip: Everybody should purge their entire galleries and reupload. Then we won't have any issues.
  • edited 2012-04-07 04:16:34

I skimmed all that stuff, and now it finally dawned on me what the suggesting is.

I guess it's nice that there's a place to store hundreds of avatars, but when you consider that ones hard drive makes for a convenient place to store avatars it's a pretty dumb suggestion.

But I don't doubt it's main purpose is just an excuse to mass delete people's avatar storage.
    $5 per page for avatars? That's absurd.

It could easily be that way intentionally, as I mentioned.

...Though, I hope the first page is free or some such.
    Morbid, you realize that the avatars cost the site a huge amount of cash, right? FE even said he could purge the galleries all together if worse came to shove.

He gave us an option.

And we get the first page free anyway. That's 40 images and 400 Kilobytes(on average). That's a LOT.

@Justice42: Hardly. It's a money problem. It's a data problem. This was not something that was taken lightly by anyone at all.
  • edited 2012-04-07 04:22:24
    The sadness will last forever.

Couldn't they just put a donate button on every page instead or that's a bad idea?

^ I know that.

Donations didn't work. It was tried.

There's been a way to donate for a while now.

Remember, the forums are a privilege, not a right. People take it for granted, and now they gotta pay for a pricey service as is. TVTropes cannot afford to pay for people have over 10 Gigabytes of Images up. Most of that can be brought down to barely 400 Kilobytes as is without issues. Maybe 800.

TVTropes ain't cheap, after all.
  • edited 2012-04-07 04:30:02

Not exactly like the cost of maintaining the site and the vast image stores associated with such is news.

Though, a sudden drop in revenue because of "naughty tropes" certainly is.

Someone mentioned that Fast Eddie is in a very unenviable position right now, I'm inclined to agree. 
  • edited 2012-04-07 04:31:16
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Yeah, I honestly feel sorry for him right now.

Also, Adverse, the one being used, does not have a policy against NSFW pages. So they can't have their ads on JUST those pages.

Which means somebody reported something without either reading the actual TOU, or... they're soccer moms trolling. He's investigating this. For all we know, we never had to do a single thing.(although trimming down and de-creepifying stuff is good regardless)
    Soccer moms trolling? What? O_o

For what the mission statement of the wiki seems to be, I think that's true.

FE, while accepting that TVT is going to be more humorous, does seem to want to keep the site respectable at a level just slightly under "the other wiki". 

Keeping the wiki a little more objective when people discuss what could easily be considered fetish material is not a BAD thing to be mindful of, in that regard.

"Soccer moms trolling?"

I guess it wouldn't be "Trolling" so much as "Not having anything better to do with your free time then complain about stuff that's on the internet in the hopes of making it more decent."
  • edited 2012-04-07 04:43:47
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    @Justice42: Your first post, yep. He doesn't think the sex tropes are useful enough, but then again, he threatened getting rid of 'em at first. It forced us to clean 'em up. It was a cheap scare tactic, but what it meant is that the wiki was saved, de-creepified, and improved.

Also, yeah, when you're trying to hurt the wiki when our Family Friendly policy is different. Ours isn't "protect little children", it's protect "against explicit material". So that's why we're against Soccer Moms trying to run it. It's completely against our wiki's goals, which is documentation of almost everything possible.

He's not going to ever go the usual Family Friendly route that most use. He's made it clear we'll have sex tropes, sex-related works, etc. In pure neutral form.