The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    speaking of movies i am back from Jurassic World

i liked it, mostly

although i did feel distinctly like i was not the intended audience, and like moments that were supposed to make me sympathize with characters had the opposite effect and vice versa, which is not usual for me
    i was laughing non-stop through a particular scene near the climax of the film

however there were a few points that made me v tense, and one bit that struck kind of a nerve horror wise

I call myself (and my sister) "queer" all the time and it makes my dad mildly uncomfortable, which amuses me.

Oddly enough he never seemed to have any objections to my calling myself "Princess".

presumably he grew up when 'queer' was principally a term of abuse?
  • Apparently this is how my car was advertised when it was new

Gotta love the early '90s, when they were pretending it wasn't still the '80s

$1500 cash back
    i am going to have to disagree with Miss Utilis

i think the theme of the movie was "in Soviet Jurassic World, Content consumes YOU!"

. . . which is admittedly an odd theme for a summer blockbuster, so i could be off the mark, but i think my reading is a valid one nevertheless
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

I call myself (and my sister) "queer" all the time and it makes my dad mildly uncomfortable, which amuses me.

Oddly enough he never seemed to have any objections to my calling myself "Princess".

presumably he grew up when 'queer' was principally a term of abuse?
    ...that'd do it, I suppose.

Inevitably I have to tack "It's ok if WE say it" on the end when I use the term around him.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Is anyone else bored with this dimension
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    i am going to have to disagree with Miss Utilis

i think the theme of the movie was "in Soviet Jurassic World, Content consumes YOU!"

. . . which is admittedly an odd theme for a summer blockbuster, so i could be off the mark, but i think my reading is a valid one nevertheless
    http://heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/607302/#Comment_607302
    ah yes

i remember that image but at the time i didn't get it

relatedly i took the Jimmy Fallon appearance as tongue-in-cheek and even satirical, although knowing that it was a cross-promotion makes that feel kind of two-faced

i am torn is what i'm saying

I'm not interested in ordinary humans.  But, if any of you are aliens, time travelers, or espers, please come see me!
    alternative answer something about tesseracts i am too tired for math jokes
  • Tachyon said:

I'm not interested in ordinary humans.  But, if any of you are aliens, time travelers, or espers, please come see me!
    +10 Janelies for House Tachyon
    woot
    Tachyon said:

that sounds like the sort of thing i'd usually say instead of you

you would tell me that humans are wonderful and diverse and that if i'm bored with earth it means i'm not looking hard enough
  • Tachyon said:

that sounds like the sort of thing i'd usually say instead of you

you would tell me that humans are wonderful and diverse and that if i'm bored with earth it means i'm not looking hard enough
    it's actually something Haruhi Suzumiya would say.
    Tachyon said:

ah yes

relatedly i took the Jimmy Fallon appearance as tongue-in-cheek and even satirical, although knowing that it was a cross-promotion makes that feel kind of two-faced

I've been to Disney World recently, and gratuitous celebrities doing videos for attractions is all over the place.

You ever seen an animatronic Ellen Degeneres fight dinosaurs? I have
  • edited 2015-07-01 00:34:13
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @ CA: That sounds more like 2013-me, the swine.

Relatedly, have you ever watched Haruhi?
    Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

ah yes

I've been to Disney World recently, and gratuitous celebrities doing videos for attractions is all over the place.

You ever seen an animatronic Ellen Degeneres fight dinosaurs? I have
    i haven't, but that was how i took the scene, too.
    CIyebgVWgAEOoxx.jpg

Someone really does not like loose ends being pointed out in Star Wars
  • you can tell that that person has good opinions b/c they're named after Big Sean.
    i felt like i disliked Owen and Simon Masrani at certain times when i was not supposed to, and did not dislike Claire at certain times when i was supposed to.

and Hoskins' death could and should have been avoided

all that aside, i liked it
    Tachyon said:

2013!Tach confirmed for Rose Quartz

In fairness that's something I'd more likely to have said in 2013 too

I have not. Would I enjoy it, you think?

Hasn't Ellen been an Epcot shill for a while now?

She went back to Dinosaur times using a time machine made by Bill Nye
    Martin Short, Michael Jackson, and Aerosmith also appeared.

There was an attraction involving Tone Loc, but it's gone now.
  • Tachyon said:

I think that you, like me, would sympathize with Haruhi to a degree that is not necessarily intended by the creators.

You would also probably like it cuz it's good.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

and thus Reddit flooded the world with jizz

she'll turn around once the company that truly butters her bread, Warner Bros. Studios, finally opens a Looney Tunes theme park
  • Odradek said:

Yeah, but that's been there for at least three years now. Probably more, considering how dim the memory of it is

Tachyon said:

Hm . . . i don't know, since i don't know what anime you have watched and liked.

i think you might.
  • Anonus said:

Odradek said:

she'll turn around once the company that truly butters her bread, Warner Bros. Studios, finally opens a Looney Tunes theme park

briiiiight eeeyes

Anonus said:

Odradek said:

briiiiight eeeyes
    every now and then i fall apart!

damn you jane
    And yes, i think you might sympathize with Haruhi, at least to an extent.
    Also Central, you should totally watch "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" if you can.
  • Anonus said:

Odradek said:

briiiiight eeeyes
    every now and then i fall apart!

damn you jane
    BUT I NEED YOU HOME TONIGHT
    oh heck that's in my head now
  • Tachyon said:

oh heck that's in my head now

BUT I NEED YOU MORE THAN EVER
    Did you know that song's about vampires, according to the dude that wrote it?
  • the chorus of "One Night in Bangkok", ie. the part that is actually sung, is not by Murray Head, but by Anders Glenmark.

the chorus of "One Night in Bangkok", ie. the part that is actually sung, is not by Murray Head, but by Anders Glenmark.

He is the brother of Anthony Stewart Head.

The song is about a fictionalized version of American Chess Champion/Racist fuckwad Bobby Fischer hanging out in Thailand.
    Odradek said:

On my good days I'm Odradek, and on my bad days I'm the Squonk.

• also the song's very strange because the verses are this guy talking basically about how much Bangkok sucks and then the chorus is about how awesome it is.

I don't know if that's intentional or if there was just like zero communication during the songwriting process.
  • Odradek said:

the chorus of "One Night in Bangkok", ie. the part that is actually sung, is not by Murray Head, but by Anders Glenmark.

The song is about a fictionalized version of American Chess Champion/Racist fuckwad Bobby Fischer hanging out in Thailand.
    that explains a lot about the song actually
    the world's your oyster

Odradek said:

It basically only makes sense when you know that.
    how do other people avoid lying awake at night worrying that they have the most raw magical ability of anyone in the country and they're squandering it on an economy based around candy
    is it 80s music night

is that what's happening right now
  • Odradek said:

Odradek said:

It basically only makes sense when you know that.
    who's supposed to be singing the chorus then?
  • Tachyon said:

is it 80s music night

is that what's happening right now

it's always 80s music night

how do other people avoid lying awake at night worrying that they have the most raw magical ability of anyone in the country and they're squandering it on an economy based around candy

well where I'm from we still use the sugar standard