The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

It's the same for quality TV watchers who watch endless seasons of shows they don't like.

I really don't think this is as common as you act like it is, and it's bothersome because you derive soooo much of your views on media from opinions like these
    I follow a lot of people on twitter who do not like House of Cards, or the new season of True Detective, but are under some bizarre geas to watch it anyway
    Yeah well I like

Don't think it's a huge deal

I barely even consider it a deal

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

i'm considering watching A Game of Thrones.

I've heard some of it's good.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    my brother likes it.

This is probably my favorite performance of his.
    Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

It's the same for quality TV watchers who watch endless seasons of shows they don't like.

I really don't think this is as common as you act like it is, and it's bothersome because you derive soooo much of your views on media from opinions like these
    I follow a lot of people on twitter who do not like House of Cards, or the new season of True Detective, but are under some bizarre geas to watch it anyway
    Yeah well I like

I just want to set them free.

And also destroy the Marvel/Disney empire.
  • Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

Yeah well I like

I just want to set them free.

And also destroy the Marvel/Disney empire.
    As long as I get to have the rights to 101 Dalmatians, Pepper Ann, Lilo & Stitch and Dave the Barbarian you can do that
  • edited 2015-06-30 00:09:12
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i liked The Princess and the Frog.

i didn't think it was a bad movie.  i don't think it was racist.  It didn't strike me as excessively formulaic.  i liked Almost There.

Disney need to make more movies about people who are not white.  That would be good.

Failing that, people who are not Disney who make similarly high-quality animated movies need to eclipse them in popularity, but like, you know, that's not happening any time soon.

Disney movies are always conservative relative to the time at which they are released, and they always shoot for mass appeal, but they are typically of very high quality, at least when the company isn't going through a slump and if we disregard the niche and direct-to-DVD releases and the stuff that's farmed out to less competent sub-companies.
    Avengers: Age of Ultron was alright, mainly for James Spader Ultron and Mark Ruffalo Bruce Banner.

Captain America: Winter Soldier was an atrocity
    Tachyon said:

i liked The Princess and the Frog.

i didn't think it was a bad movie.  i don't think it was racist.  It didn't strike me as excessively formulaic.  i liked Almost There.

Disney need to make more movies about people who are not white.  That would be good.

Failing that, people who are not Disney who make similarly high-quality animated movies need to eclipse them in popularity, but like, you know, that's not happening any time soon.

Disney movies are always conservative relative to the time at which they are released, and they always shoot for mass appeal, but they are typically of very high quality, at least when the company isn't going through a slump and if we disregard the niche and direct-to-DVD releases and the stuff that's farmed out to less competent sub-companies.

They are making a new movie entirely about Samoans I believe.
    i haven't seen Captain America: Winter Soldier; some of my friends liked it but i never bothered with it

i quite liked Captain America the character when i was younger but i was never much into superhero comics

they are never must-watch cinema for me
    Tachyon said:

i haven't seen Captain America: Winter Soldier; some of my friends liked it but i never bothered with it

i quite liked Captain America the character when i was younger but i was never much into superhero comics

they are never must-watch cinema for me

The first Captain America movie is a fun period piece.

Captain America: Winter Soldier is awful.
    That's great.

i hope it's a really good film.
    Really though, the best Captain America movie is The Guest
    Tachyon said:

That's great.

i hope it's a really good film.

I'm sad they didn't get to make a Mort movie.

And doubly sad that Christopher Lee can never play Death again :(
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    heapers' hangout produces good content
    "Polynesian mythology" has me a bit wary though

Disney's track record for portraying other people's cultures and beliefs is not good
  • I feel that superhero stories translate better to television and while I thought the first Avengers was OK I think the best superhero thing I have ever watched was the Justice League Unlimited series
  • Tachyon said:

Disney's track record for portraying other people's cultures and beliefs is not good

rly was offended by the depiction of Atlanteans in Atlantis
    part of the reason i wish The Princess and the Frog had been more successful is that i honestly prefer the 2D hand-drawn aesthetic over CGI

CGI can be very good, but i feel that something was lost
    My favorite thing about DC animated shows is that they're canned every time the powers that be realize they're popular with girls.
    2D hand-drawn stuff is cool and I fully approve of it
  • Odradek said:

My favorite thing about DC animated shows is that they're canned every time the powers that be realize they're popular with girls.

if by "favorite thing" you mean "the thing that most makes me want to invite Cthulu into this world to destroy all that we have built", I agree.

Tachyon said:

i was thinking of Pocahontas, and also of the Greeks' anger at Hercules (although in the latter case i think they may have missed that ancient Greek culture occupies a position of huge respect in the narrative of Western culture and really isn't at risk of having its reputation damaged by a children's film)
  • Tachyon said:

Tachyon said:

i was thinking of Pocahontas, and also of the Greeks' anger at Hercules (although in the latter case i think they may have missed that ancient Greek culture occupies a position of huge respect in the narrative of Western culture and really isn't at risk of having its reputation damaged by a children's film)
    i was making a stupid joke
    Odradek said:

wait, this happens?

that's really weird
    Greek mythology is deeply bound up into our cultural identity as westerners, Hercules ain't gonna hurt it.

Tachyon said:

Tachyon said:

i was making a stupid joke
    well i'm not going to just ASSUME that you're not descended from the survivors of Atlantis and weren't outraged by their representation of your culture
  • Odradek said:

wait, this happens?

that's really weird
    It's happened like a dozen times.

It's not the sole factor afaik but it's been a contributing factor in the demise of at least Teen Titans which is unforgivable in of itself.
  • Tachyon said:

Tachyon said:

Tachyon said:

well i'm not going to just ASSUME that you're not descended from the survivors of Atlantis and weren't outraged by their representation of your culture

my grandma has probably put some thought into this idea
    Odradek said:

Greek mythology is deeply bound up into our cultural identity as westerners, Hercules ain't gonna hurt it.

Yeah.  But the result of that same mentality applying itself to a much less privileged and entirely foreign mythology worries me somewhat.
  • edited 2015-06-30 00:23:48
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

i'm considering watching A Game of Thrones.

I've heard some of it's good.
    The costume design is sometimes good. Liam Cunningham is good in everything he's in.

There is only one scene of rat-and-bucket torture, when there could have been upwards of one.

Can't say more, I've never seen it.

"Same reason Young Justice and Green Lantern The Animated Series were canceled: Girls liked it. Bruce Timm finally up an’ said it out loud in an interview a while back when he was asked why in the hell GL:TAS had been canceled when it was doing so well on every front; DC’s animation department has institutionally decided that feee-males don’t/can’t/shouldn’t like superheroes, so even if a show is drawing in great viewership numbers and has great toy sales, once they find out that it’s popular with women and girls, they pull the plug on it. Cartoon Network loved Teen Titans— two million viewers for new episodes will do that— and wanted a Season Six, and the production staff was already in the planning stages for it; they were going to have a big arc about Terra and why she was Living Normal, and do a lot more with the extended Titans team members."

To elaborate on this point a bit, the reason this happens is that modern television merchandising aims for total market segregation.

In a nutshell, it’s much more efficient to sell things to people if you can divide them up into tightly defined subcategories that have no interests in common; that way, you never risk accidentally competing with yourself.

This is why children’s toys (and toy sales channels) are actually much more strongly gendered these days than they were forty, thirty, even twenty years ago: one of the basic market segregation splits they’ve decided to use is “boys versus girls”.

Ever wonder why you see Avengers t-shirts that leave Black Widow out of the group shot, or Guardians of the Galaxy action figure lines with no Gamora? That’s market segregation in action.

The upshot is that shows with crossover appeal can actually be cancelled for being too popular with girls; they’re viewed as “stealing” the female market from the specifically girl-targeted media that rightfully “owns” it.

This is the sort of thing folks are talking about when they say gender roles are socially constructed, by the way. The gender split in media merchandising? It’s not just artificial, it’s deliberately imposed as a top-down marketing strategy. When folks try to justify it by saying “this is the ways it’s always been” or “this is just what the market wants”, they’re lying through their teeth - this is, in fact, the merchandisers dictating to the market what it wants in order to sell stuff more efficiently.

(Interestingly, the reverse isn’t always true: if a specifically girl-targeted show unexpectedly becomes popular with boys, sometimes rather than being cancelled, its merchandising will shift to court the male collector’s market. TV execs are so sexist, even their sexism is sexist.)

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    that's horrible, and i feel naive for not expecting it

it genuinely did not occur to me that execs would be so attached to sexist gender roles that they actively recoil from their audiences and eschew potential revenue in order to maintain said roles

i thought they WANTED everyone to watch their stuff
  • that's horrible, and i feel naive for not expecting it

it genuinely did not occur to me that execs would be so attached to sexist gender roles that they actively recoil from their audiences and eschew potential revenue in order to maintain said roles

well they do they just want boys to watch Boy Show and girls to watch Girl Show and not anything else.

You'll note that this strategy they pursue doesn't even work economically, most of the companies who employ it are slowly dying and have been for a long time.

well yes, i knew about this

but i always assumed it happened because of sexist assumptions about what toys would sell, the idea that only boys will want cartoon action figures and that boys won't want to play with girl-dolls

i didn't think they were actively TRYING to repel 50% of their audience on the basis of sexist stereotyping, i didn't think they were that stupid

i thought it was just a case of unexamined prejudices
    Assuming that executives are not extraordinarily stupid is a fool's assumption.
    TV is stupid

/original Imi comment, do not steal
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    Aliroz said:

Odradek said:

that's horrible, and i feel naive for not expecting it

well they do they just want boys to watch Boy Show and girls to watch Girl Show and not anything else.

You'll note that this strategy they pursue doesn't even work economically, most of the companies who employ it are slowly dying and have been for a long time.
    Good.

But it's so dumb!

And unless the shows are in direct competition with one another, like they air at the same time, wouldn't it make more sense from a marketing perspective to hope boys and girls will watch both shows?  Watching one isn't hurting the other.
  • Tachyon said:

And unless the shows are in direct competition with one another, like they air at the same time, wouldn't it make more sense from a marketing perspective to hope boys and girls will watch both shows?
    Yes, it would.
    i definitely remember hearing about how the American broadcast of Cardcaptor Sakura was cut so as to make it seem like Sakura and Syaoran were equal leads and so win over male audiences

so the thing i thought wasn't completely off-base

i guess this is what's meant about the reverse not always being true . . . same deal with the bronies
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Even as a kid, I knew it was Sakura's show.
    Sakura's name is in the title, yo
    not in the dub, it isn't

the dub was retitled Cardcaptors

plural
    The internet has made me nervous about bringing up philosophy terms or ideas I know, because people are really quick to dismiss it as semantics or nonsense.
    Dear God, no one can figure out this show was made by Japanese people, we swear it