• My dreams exceed my real life
    We are all so stupid
  • edited 2015-06-20 03:04:38
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    we were all so stupid!

but, some of us outgrew it.

I got the ninja'd
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i hope i'm in the process of outgrowing it.
    primer-chart.jpg
  • people talking about hipsters in 2015 are an automatic "im done w/ this conversation" marker for me
    now you mention it, it's been a while since i've heard people complaining about hipsters, before this conversation i mean
    well, good
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    I know someone who complains about hipsters constantly, it does get a bit irritating
  • edited 2015-06-20 03:13:45
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Tachyon said:

Clearly you feel strongly about them and i suppose as i haven't met any i should defer to your experiences.

i just, i don't know.  It baffles me.  The hatred they inspire seems utterly disproportionate to the things they are accused of doing.

Someone who just pretends to like unfashionable things because they think it makes them look cool is just kind of pathetic.

Oh, that's certainly pathetic. It's when you wax pseudo-philosophic and get yourself off on talking about how oh-so-deep you are while doing these obnoxious things (among others), that I write you off as a hipster and thus someone not worth listening to.

naney said:

people talking about hipsters in 2015 are an automatic "im done w/ this conversation" marker for me

Well it was mostly me but sorry, I guess?

Perhaps I just need to call insufferable idiots exactly that, but "hipster" already functions nicely so I have trouble caring enough to change.
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    I think my problem is that if you stretch it the term could be used for any number of things that have nothing to do with it, really

I think my problem is that if you stretch it the term could be used for any number of things that have nothing to do with it, really

That's kinda how it feels to me.

Or, frankly, it feels like a bunch of weird unspoken rules that keep changing and updating all the time, and if you break any one of them you are complete scum and also are assumed not to have any genuine interests and that everything you do is done out of smugness and condescension.

Like you could be minding your own business, trying to do your own thing, and then suddenly you are informed that the clothes you are wearing or the movie you liked are now "hipster" things, and therefore The Absolute Worst.
  • kill living beings
    if i'm stupid how do you explain - wow i've been trying to make this program work for three hours? yeah nvm
  • mostly in my experience complaining about hipsters is mostly a way to shut down people who enjoy things that are "too arty" or "not something a person like you should like"
    When people complain that things are "too arty" i'm left wondering if they'd rather all entertainment was just bland and made to fit a formula.

i'm guessing not, but if not, why punish people who try to do something original or clever?  What's up with that?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    @Patch & Tach:

That's fair, and I personally try to avoid unnecessary stretching. Perhaps I'm not explaining myself well. I don't know about unspoken rules and complete scum and The Absolute Worst, just that people who act like special snowflakes (for lack of a better word), and that their tastes are superior to "mainstream people" (a group always vaguely defined and constructed in a way to make them sound like idiots by comparison, in my experience), are incredibly tedious to talk to. Also keep in mind I wasn't talking about dress or anything like that, or even liking specific media. It's an irritating type of behavior, not so much a matter of tastes.

Like, there are far worse things in media chatter, like any form of pervasive bigotry for the easiest thing to come to mind.

naney said:

mostly in my experience complaining about hipsters is mostly a way to shut down people who enjoy things that are "too arty" or "not something a person like you should like"

That... is at least not how I think about them or use the term at all. I'm pretty bothered by those people too, though my experience is almost entirely with the former group. Which are also tedious to talk to, to me.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I feel like that sometimes it's a matter of accessibility, and I feel some folks try really hard to be obtuse and willfully abstruse, to the detriment of everyone.
    i don't like when people use mainstream as a pejorative, either.

i'm too quick to take offence.
  • Tachyon said:

The IJBM board on TVT was so stupid.

There is no coherent reason to detest mimes.
    i sort of feel like if something is inaccessible, then nobody will read it, so no harm done?

Crystal, it's pretty obvious we're not talking about the same people.

This probably proves Patch's point.
    Odradek said:

i kinda always assumed people did so as a joke

they always seemed such an arbitrary group to pick on
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Odradek said:

agreed

...oh wait, I thought that said memes
    now, lawyer jokes and politician jokes, those i can understand
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Tachyon said:

Crystal, it's pretty obvious we're not talking about the same people.

This probably proves Patch's point.

Whoops, yeah. Oh well. I get why you don't care for those types, so sorry for partially getting angry in my own little direction.

Odradek said:

Mimes are cool.
  • I apparently caused quite a controversy in my absence

no when I called myself an antihipster I was making fun of myself.

Plenty of people would tell you I'm a hipster as well, it's a term largely devoid of meaning.
    Crystal said:

I get why you don't care for those types, so sorry for partially getting angry in my own little direction.

Likewise, i apologize for getting angry in my own little direction.
  • granted I don't help my case when I do things like this

an antihipster is actually a hipster composed entirely of antimatter

that is a true fact and you know it is true because you read it on the internet
  • I totally fucking forgot to ask my mom if we could meet up with Kexruct today

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh I'm the worst.
  • Tachyon said:

or like

if it were just a particular way of acting was a hipster way to act, like only liking things that are unpopular, i could understand the criticism, and i have found jokes about that amusing in the past

but then people talk about "hipster media" and i'm like ?????

It's an indignant response to the perceived feelings of superiority found in hipsters, often projected onto the works they enjoy. Hence, why every damn thing that's the least bit didactic gets called pretentious.

• I totally fucking forgot to ask my mom if we could meet up with Kexruct today

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh I'm the worst.
    You're fine.

I've got a baby shower to go to tomorrow and I think I leave Sunday though. >_>

Sorry Jane.

• Kexruct said:

I totally fucking forgot to ask my mom if we could meet up with Kexruct today

You're fine.

I've got a baby shower to go to tomorrow and I think I leave Sunday though. >_>

Sorry Jane.

yeah that is why I had wanted to try to do it today but I totally dropped the ball.

well maybe next time. Hopefully I'll have a car by then so I can just drop by wherever you're at.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-20 04:57:30

idk apparently I've said something controversial

sorry

No, don't apologize.

You seemed to be asking for an explanation. Were you not?

You know when you're watching something that challenges you, because it's a very definite sense of not getting it, or not liking it, except instead of just distaste, you come to appreciate where it's coming from. i don't think you can be challenged by something and not notice it.
    I dunno

I am something of an antihipster in that I do tend to turn my nose up at anything I think is trying to be too heady for its own good

but I also love Serial Experiments Lain. But the thing with that is that even though I didn't understand the plot at first I could still appreciate the aesthetics and everything so I was sort of eased into things in that way. That happens to me fairly often, whereas I don't come around on things I used to hate all that much.
    Though I guess it is sort of a different thing, this conversation reminded me of Spec Ops: The Line and some of your criticisms of it, which seemed pretty legitimate to me from what I remember.

I think "deconstruction" as a concept is interesting, most of the works that tend to be described as being one, not so much. I suppose I am just not really into stuff in works that is aimed at making the viewer/player uncomfortable seemingly just for the sake of making them uncomfortable or to show how horrible things can be (or be imagined to be) and I feel like there is a lot of that in those works. Granted, I do like being "challenged" by a work sometimes (The Brothers Karamazov is the main example that comes to mind), so I probably just need to find more works like that.
  • Honestly I wouldn't really categorize SOTL as a deconstruction per se, because it really doesn't actually engage with its perceived targets all that much. Any such jabs mainly serve to enhance the pervading atmosphere of discomfort the game creates, but they aren't really the game's theme. Bioshock it ain't.

I realized after recommending it to a bunch of my friends just how hard it is to describe accurately. A lot of the expected tropes don't really come into play or don't work as expected- saying stuff like the PC being the "real villain," for example, is really reductive when placed in the context of the actual game and really only serve as a pitch. "Play this game, it's a deconstruction of Modern Warfare where you're the real bad guy!"

It plays on certain player expectations but on the whole it is its own work with its own goals, not just dark send up of shooters or a flash game-esque experiment in fucking with the player.
  • deconstruction is when margiela does the shoes with the holes in them
  • I have enunciated my issues (well, issue, really) with SOTL a number of times and am honestly just sort of sick of discussing the subject.

in other news

I have started my SU RP on that other website, hopefully this will go well.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-20 04:59:58

Kexruct said:

Honestly I wouldn't really categorize SOTL as a deconstruction per se, because it really doesn't actually engage with its perceived targets all that much. Any such jabs mainly serve to enhance the pervading atmosphere of discomfort the game creates, but they aren't really the game's theme. Bioshock it ain't.

Okay, I can see that. I guess "deconstruction" is thrown around a lot these days and it is not always super clear what it means (at least not to me).

I have enunciated my issues (well, issue, really) with SOTL a number of times and am honestly just sort of sick of discussing the subject.

in other news

I have started my SU RP on that other website, hopefully this will go well.
    Ah, sorry for bringing it up. I did not mean to bug you by doing that.

I hope your RP goes well.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don’t get why everyone’s line-up of the 1980′s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen includes Jack Burton.

Newsflash, assholes, the League is British. I mean, Allan Quarthermain, Jerkyl and Hyde, Nemo, Griffin? All British literature.
    An American League (which has precedent, there are the French Les Hommes Mysterieux and the German Die Zwielichthelden) wouldn't call themselves "gentlemen."
    Jack Burton is Kurt Russell's character in Big Trouble In Little China.
  • im hungry

goodnight
  • Watch Heart of Ice

Then the one with the Clock King. It's pretty lolzy
    I have seen every episode of this show multiple times.

I'm actually watching the STAS crossover rn.