The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• However many years on I still have trouble comprehending the fact--not knowing it, knowing and understanding are two different things--that Corporal Forsythe wrote and drew Listening to 11.975 MHz.

i know it
  • Having escaped the cave, Lunchbox and Deco walk from Vermont to the neighboring country of Red China.
  • It means absolutely nothing, as we return to Lunchbox sitting on a
    ledge. Off in the distance, you can see Barack Obama. This is the first
    of many examples of this comic predicting the future.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I wish 11.975 MHz was still a thing
  • i never read enough of it when i had the chance

unless it's in the Wayback Machine or something
  • it might be.

Some of the comics are preserved on tumblr, alongside commentary by someone named Oddbagel.
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    I never really got why people liked that comic
  • It's weird.

Really, really, really, profoundly, utterly weird. It's not the Lil B of webcomics, it's the cLOUDDED of webcomics. It's utterly bizarre and that makes it captivating.

That's also why I ripped it off. dae The Tripadelic Life of Spannith no-Punchlines
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Might still exist if ya didn't ban him. Everything was my fault and then I took a long break and suddenly everything was his fault.
  • Might still exist if ya didn't ban him. Everything was my fault and then I took a long break and suddenly everything was his fault.

It was not "sudden". His ban was a long time coming, and I feel that I should have done it sooner. I regret the tenuous "last straw" justification, but do not regret the ban itself.
    It was his fault a lot more than yours, Miko-chan.
  • No Forsythe had a serious belligerence problem.

Him being really conservative wasn't the issue itself, but it lead to constant fights and they were almost always at his instigation, and he didn't really have an "off" switch. Dude had to go.

I think the best thing I can say about him is that he was very knowledgeable on a lot of odd topics, and very creative. I wonder if he ever finished that Commodore 64 game he was planning on making.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    My theory is that he killed himself and that makes me sad. Not that I got along with him at all but like, I wasn't such a great person back then and I had a lot of issues.
  • While I suppose it's possible, he didn't really seem to have that kind of issue.

I wish he could've just gotten along with everyone better, but I suppose that's basically wishing he were a different person.
    I sincerely doubt he did that.
  • No Forsythe had a serious belligerence problem.

Him being really conservative wasn't the issue itself, but it lead to constant fights and they were almost always at his instigation, and he didn't really have an "off" switch. Dude had to go.

I think the best thing I can say about him is that he was very knowledgeable on a lot of odd topics, and very creative. I wonder if he ever finished that Commodore 64 game he was planning on making.
    yeah p much
  • he could be fun sometimes but the minute that you did something that annoyed him even a little he got really mean really fast
  • sometimes i forget that and i miss him and then i remember and im like oh yeah that totes wasnt worth it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Part of the reason it took us so long to get around to banning him was that, well, he and I clashed on pretty much every level and I didn't think I could make that kind of decision objectively because of it. Simply put, I had a hard time separating "I dislike him becuase he's conservative" from "I dislike him because he's a jerk."

It was only once other people started complaining to me that I looked and said "ok, maybe I wasn't so far off-base here."
  • Forsythe and Listening... pair up to make a very strange chapter in internet history.

I hope that whatever he's doing now, he's less angry, though I would like to see the story (if you can call it that) of said comic get some closure some day, that'll probably never happen.
  • my problem with him wasnt exactly that he was a reflexively jerkish person per se, i mean i can be like that to varying degrees a lot despite my best efforts

it's just that he automatically hit below the belt, he always tried to be as hurtful and cruel as possible when confronted or irritated and he never expressed any regret for his actions
  • In a way, I'm actually sort of glad that succubi.org seems to be gone.

In an age where almost everything is archived to death (this is usually a positive in my mind btw, I'm not a "THE INTERNET IS BAD" type), it's interesting to have something that is definitively gone. About a quarter or so of the comic is preserved on Oddbagel's tumblr, but that's only until that blog dies, even then, it's not anywhere near all 200-odd strips. Plus some random bits of art that Forsythe posted to a comics forum about a decade ago. He really doesn't seem to have ever come up with a character he didn't use for Listening..., those pictures are all of Deco and Elspeth.

Everything except those strips, that concept art, and what will someday be an orphaned reference in my own long-dead webcomic, Listening... might as well have never existed. In a way, it's a bit sad.

It also takes the man himself out of the equation, which, in Forsythe's case, is probably not a bad thing.
  • Well this has been a melancholic trip down memory lane

who wants to talk about idk roads or something.
  • there was a cool little sneaker boutique in philadelphia that sredni and i walked by but never entered

i would like to head in the next time i visit and buy him (and me) some cute shoes
  • Forsythe knew shit about the old Hanna-Barbera shorts, which was nice
  • kill living beings

Having escaped the cave, Lunchbox and Deco walk from Vermont to the neighboring country of Red China.
    my mind is wired such that i thought this was about the laughing man
  • Having escaped the cave, Lunchbox and Deco walk from Vermont to the neighboring country of Red China.
    I don't even know what that is.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Jay-Z and Kanye West are both big fans of Coldplay.
  • kill living beings

Having escaped the cave, Lunchbox and Deco walk from Vermont to the neighboring country of Red China.
    I don't even know what that is.
    a story by jd salinger that mentions the chinese-french border
  • Nitya I have no idea how to break this to you man but

Vermont

is not in France.

Nitya I have no idea how to break this to you man but

Vermont

is not in France.
    Its name does come from the French phrase "Les Vers Monts" which means "the green mountains".
  • kill living beings
    china does not border france either and yet here we are
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So what I'm learning from this is that China, France, and Vermont all meet at a single point
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Yeah, just dig down
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Vermont is actually an extradimensional location connecting to all points on Earth.
  • Writer problems

how do you point out that someone is of African descent in a setting where conceptions of race are not very strong

do you even point it out? Because most people are going to just assume he's white and that's not what the character looks like.

he looks in my head a bit like this guy, but wrinklier.
  • see if the story was in third person you could just point that out and be done with it and maybe that would be fine, but it's not, it's first person. 

but the character in question would probably not think it worth pointing out

but I don't want to effectively make my characters aracial (which most people will interpret as white, see: the Homestuck fandom), because they aren't, even though they live in a society where race is largely a nonfactor.

but also how do you point something out in the first person without having the POV character comment on it

this is somehow the biggest stumbling block this story has had so far.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    As the only living person who prefers the Dawn Brigade to the Greil Mercenaries, I am a national treasure.

Odra is also a national treasure, as he is the only person who sufficiently hates Red Letter Media (I really wish I could hate it as much as he does... it's so so awful; but you guys won'[t let him rant about it.  I'll make my own forum someday, with no swearing, where red letter media is as acceptable to trash as Tv Tropes is here).
  • Describe it in a way that makes sense to the person whose viewpoint is using.

Have dark skin mean something to the viewpoint character. Not necessarily in a racial way, but write her background in a way such that it has interest.

Don't necessarily bring it up immediately. If it's a longer work of fiction, let the reader make mistakes about the appearance for a while and then spring it on them when they're not looking. Then do the Ashton Kutcher thing and brag about how you pwned them. Kind of like how you don't always say a character's gay within 5 seconds of mentioning him.
  • The reader is allowed to be wrong, as long as they're corrected at some point in the actual piece of fiction.

Authorial post-revision is allowed, but not preferred. See Dumbledore.
  • Describe it in a way that makes sense to the person whose viewpoint is using.

Have dark skin mean something to the viewpoint character. Not necessarily in a racial way, but write her background in a way such that it has interest.

Don't necessarily bring it up immediately. If it's a longer work of fiction, let the reader make mistakes about the appearance for a while and then spring it on them when they're not looking. Then do the Ashton Kutcher thing and brag about how you pwned them. Kind of like how you don't always say a character's gay within 5 seconds of mentioning him.
    I suppose I'm overthinking this, in the sense that I've already described a character's hair color and hair color is not particularly important in this society either. The problem with your suggestion as it is is that this setting's pre-existing.

I mean I guess I could change it but I don't know. Normally I just kind of sit and let the words write themselves, thinking is hard.

I don't really know how big a role this person is going to play long term either.
  • Ah I think I might've thought of a solution actually.
  • SO 1 H34RD 1M1 L1K3S HUM4N RUMBL3 SPH3R3S
  • edited 2015-05-13 00:18:28
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Evil Response: No, that is a lie, miss Terezi.

You do not have to make room for Imipolex on the last voyage to the Land of Mammaries and Protuberances. He also hates cows, so you should avoid bringing him tot he land of Cows and Milk.

Neutral Response:  Yes, that is true, miss Terezi.

Thus, you probably should not bring Imipolex on the last voyage to the Land of Mammaries and Protuberances.  We'd never get him back.  You should bring him to the Land of Cows and Milk instead.

Good respone:  Yes, that is true, miss Terezi.  He'd probably love to go on the last voyage to the Land of Mammaries and Protuberances; so I hope you can force him to come back when the trip's over.  We'd miss him otherwise, and he'd never get to see the Land of Cows and Milk if he stayed on LOMAP.

Aliroz said:

Odra is also a national treasure, as he is the only person who sufficiently hates Red Letter Media (I really wish I could hate it as much as he does... it's so so awful; but you guys won'[t let him rant about it.  I'll make my own forum someday, with no swearing, where red letter media is as acceptable to trash as Tv Tropes is here).
    THANK you.
  • idk how you even hate it that much its just bland
  • nah RedLetter Media is awful I have just never met anyone who likes it.
  • section do (?) + this one person i follow on tumblr
    naney said:

idk how you even hate it that much its just bland

Imagine someone saying "Oh my God, what happened to your face?" in a silly voice.

Now imagine many, many people considering this line to be The Height Of Humor, to the point where they will quote it at the slightest provocation.

Now imagine people being so amazed at the pitch-perfect humor of saying this phrase in a silly voice that they want to enshrine the creator in a mountain carved out to resemble the greatest satirists of all time: Swift, Cervantes, Twain, and Internet Person #5237589372.

Now you know how I feel.