The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Having a weirdly depressing night.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    One day the storm disappears and I can see the sun. I hope it happens before my life is over.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I was just thinking about the Matrix. And I'd say that my big problem with the Matrix (aside from all the stupid New Age nonsense) is that most of the fight scenes are just two uninterested people just punching away at each other.

Cool choreography, but stuff about the world make it so that you don't really relate to the combatants. They're in a virtual world, and they know it, and they're fighting against it, so why should they let what happens in it affect their mood? Which is an interesting acting direction, but makes for really boring fight scenes. It tries to make up for that with complex choreography and flash, but it fails.

Compare with say, Jackie Chan's Hong Kong movies. Where the fighters whale on each other, but they express pain. Jackie punches a car door in? That's cool. Then he makes a funny face and just yeoches for a bit, huffing and puffing on his fists? That's hilarious.

Jackie Chan jumps off a building to cut off his opponent's escape? Awesome. Then he clutches his back and moans cartoonishly? I get that. If I did the same thing he did I'd have the same reaction.

Basically, flash is no substitute for high stakes and pain.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Life is too hard. I'm always at the mercy of others. With enough mercy I can relax one day.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    We found the cat. It was hiding in the storeroom. Probably from our relatives.
    I hope that I am a happy girl when I die.
    I'm told I'm an angel but it's so difficult to help myself, let alone anyone else.
  • MachSpeed said:

I was just thinking about the Matrix. And I'd say that my big problem with the Matrix (aside from all the stupid New Age nonsense) is that most of the fight scenes are just two uninterested people just punching away at each other.

Cool choreography, but stuff about the world make it so that you don't really relate to the combatants. They're in a virtual world, and they know it, and they're fighting against it, so why should they let what happens in it affect their mood? 
    Because if they die in the Matrix, they die in real life. 

For...some...reason...
    If you die in real life then you die in real life.
    People die when they are killed.
    I want this pain to end.
    Maybe I did something in the past to deserve this but I don't know what.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Cream said:

I feel this way a lot
    Acererak said:

Because if they die in the Matrix, they die in real life. 

For...some...reason...
    No, I don't have a quibble about that part. The Matrix is a deadly fantasy, a place where they can be cool and above-it-all. But it's not real. And they know it's not real. Every person they kill is another freed from the tyranny of the Machine.

They only meet in the Matrix to plan attacks on the Machine. Not to talk to the people still living there or interacting with them or anything. Because it's useless, because anyone not unplugged is absolutely a potential host for the Agents.

Nothing they do in the Matrix means anything. It repairs all damage and integrates all chaos into its status. And so they fight as if it doesn't mean anything.

They have no place in the Matrix. And so they fight as if they don't feel pain. Because they don't, not really.

That's all very clever. But it doesn't work in a series of martial arts-focused action movies.
    Cream said:

You're not the same person you were in the past. You're not even the same person from your previous life.

You're you, whatever that means.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Hah.

This whole thing makes me sad, cause Lenovo made some really high quality stuff. (My previous lappy was a Lenovo, although preceding Superfish by a couple of years.)
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Lenovo included the software WindowShopper, made by Superfish, as a preinstall on their new laptops. WindowShopper installs its own self-signed security cert authority on the system, which shares the same private key for every system it's on, and utilises MITM techniques to deliver ads, including on encrypted pages. Needless to say, this is less a security vulnerability, and more taking the security out back and shooting it in the head.
  • ...and just when I thought Lenovo might be a good option for laptops, now that Toshiba is off the table...
  • My new conclusion is that Llamas with Hats might just be the best thing to happen to Youtube Comedy.

I don't like it, per se, but it's still very, very important.
  • red and black and grey and white
  • The sadness will last forever.
    if only i could sleep the whole day
    bleh
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Cream said:

"The only sin is the sin of being born." - Samuel Beckett
  • full frequency response
  • I've lost my ability to shitpost and wonderpost, I've realized.
  • Kexruct said:

I've lost my ability to shitpost and wonderpost, I've realized.

Don't worry, you can easily restart, by just banging on the keyboard about seven times, then hitting Post Comment.
  • g4evrghtdmnhrsnyjrsng
  • Kexruct said:

I've lost my ability to shitpost and wonderpost, I've realized.

out here in the streets where children starvin' to eat, one step away from failin' that's why they call it The D.
  • oi;lwaaig;dl;kzcsVCXkjlefsi[ojewjvds

Is this how I do it?
    Maybe you outgrew the Trash Heap and it's time to step out into the world where adults do things like get a job and drive a car and pay bills.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Cream said:

Maybe you outgrew the Trash Heap and it's time to step out into the world where adults do things like get a job and drive a car and pay bills.

I've gotten a job, I've made a few attempts at driving, and have not paid any bills. At any rate, so far none of those things have conflicted with occasionally opening up a tab on my computer.
  • > Top 10 Sexy Female Aliens

i'm going to guess none of them are laffinty

Sexy's a false qualifier anyways.

...and now I'm angry about the Asari from Mass Effect being seen as beautiful by every other species in the game.
  • I'm in the constant state of loving Mass Effect and hating it at the same time.

They did so many things right, and yet they did so many things wrong.

Let each thing that they did wrong correspond to an element in set of the rational numbers and and let every thing they did right correspond to an element in the set of irrational numbers. Therefore, each wrong thing has a right thing arbitrarily close to it, which in turn has another wrong thing arbitrarily close to it. And so on and so forth. My love and hatred are arbitrarily close to each other at all times.
  • kill living beings
    Well, that means there are more right things than wrong things, though. and infinities of both

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I suppose I said that too, at one time or another
  • "Mom, what's that?"

"Shh.  Those are crazy people."
  • Well, that means there are more right things than wrong things, though. and infinities of both

If there were more wrong things than right things, I wouldn't bother playing ME. And it's not necessarily infinite, since there are a finite, if large, number of inputs. Of course, that would mean that the function would need to be continuous. Maybe even Lipschitz continuous.
  • kill living beings
    there are infinite rational and infinite irrational numbers

is what i meant
    *pretends the world is one big sofa*
  • there are infinite rational and infinite irrational numbers

is what i meant

Yeah, but the function's domain is finite, so the range has to be finite. 
    irrationality is always more infinite than rationality
  • edited 2015-02-20 21:06:49
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I hate this thing where I have assignments due next week, and so I should wait until next week so that in class they will teach me how to do them.

So, I can't do the assignments, and my brain keeps going "assignment due!  assignment due!"  and so I can't relax or have fun in certain ways that my brain thinks of as unproductive, but I can't do the work, so I just am unproductive in ways that don't make my brain think that I'm being unproductive.  Like internet.

My brain's logic:

PLay in sandbox, play with young cousins, play with toys or legoes:  HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE ARE ASSIGNMENTS.  THIS IS NOT HOW YOU WERE RAISED.  YOU FINISH YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES FIRST, AND THEN PLAY AND NOBODY CAN TELL YOU TO CLEAN YOUR ROOM OR DO HOMEWORK BECAUSE YOU ALREADY DID/

Waste time on internet:  no comment.

Studying:  HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING STUDYING YOU DON'T HAVE THESE ASSIGNMENTS DUE UNTIL NEXT WEEK AND YOU CAN'T EVEN DO THESE ASSIGNMENTS.  WHAT ARE YOU DOING STUDYING WHEN IT'S LOVELY OUTSIDE AND THERE ARE MEANINGFUL LIFE EXPERIENCES TO HAVE!  FOCUS ON RELEVANT THINGS?  MAKE ME.  OH WAIT, YOU'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO DO THAT, HAVE YOU.  I DON'T WANNA STUDY.