The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    because our forum software needed more memes I guess??
  • that's Actually Pretty Funny
  • kill living beings
    no
  • edited 2014-11-30 07:02:34

Memes are never a laughing matter
  • Tachyon said:

But like legit, why would you talk about how you were going to send specifically signed copies of your book?

And then why would you brag about getting link karma for that shit, and jokingly talk about how you weren't a good person?

This is not the time.

The thread itself was weirdly lighthearted. I'm not saying it should have been, but Green's tone wasn't out of place.

At any rate I'll bet money the apology will be up by tomorrow.

The argument I saw was that sending books doesn't matter and he hasn't done anything to bring visibility to Ferguson, but, like, what could he have done that wouldn't have then been perceived as shameless self promotion?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Y'know, i really don't like that meme.

i liked it at first but after i learned the original context for which that poster was intended, i hated the way it got turned into a cheap motivational poster.

Also i'm sick of wartime nostalgia, although that one is at least WWII not WWI.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    World-building is only necessary for certain kinds of fiction. The kinds of fiction that you really need a coherent, realized world for. Fables and fairytales don't really need well-developed worlds. Elsa's powers exist because they do and it's not important where she gets it from. It's not what the story is concerned with. 

The movie also doesn't require a "clear antagonist", because the struggles are mostly internal. It's Elsa's despair, depression, and isolation that is the antagonist. The Duke was a foil, nothing more. 

I'm personally of the opinion that I really liked Hans' role. He was supposed to be a flimsy, too-good-to-be-true guy that sweeps the girl away, and when that's revealed to be all a fantasy it shocks the characters and the audience. If that doesn't work for you, then that's you.

There's an unwritten rule of subtlety that goes "show enough that the audience can connect the dots," and that's inference. It can be a powerful tool at times.

Also I will say that I really liked 'In The Summer', even if it completely wrecked with the tone of the movie.

tl;dr: all fiction has its own set of internal logic.
  • confound ye writing man
  • Tachyon said:

i liked it at first but after i learned the original context for which that poster was intended, i hated the way it got turned into a cheap motivational poster.

who on earth would be nostalgic for WWI
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I do think the movie has plenty of flaws. But I don't think whatever was outlined in the post are actually flaws.
    i really don't care about John Green and i don't see why anyone should feel obligated to have anything on their tumblr that they don't want there.
    naney said:

Tachyon said:

who on earth would be nostalgic for WWI
    People who weren't actually there for it.

The current government wanted us all to celebrate it, since 2014 year is the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the war.  It was particularly insufferable earlier in the year.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    not many people who were around for WWI are still around, really
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I looked up the original context of the post y'all are talking about.

Is this REALLY what people are complaining about?
  • NOTHING SAYS "THE GOOD OLD DAYS" LIKE HAVING YOUR FEET ROT OFF, YOUR EYES BURNED OUT WITH CHEMICALS AND ULTIMATELY ACCOMPLISHING LITERALLY NOTHING
    i also enjoyed 'In Summer'.

i take the view that worldbuilding is a crucial element of writing, but to what extent you need to do it varies heavily depending on the genre.  Frozen contains plenty of worldbuilding, just not the kind that tumblrite was after.
  • Hooray, war.

In other news, the Seija bossfight is really annoying.
  • Tachyon said:

The current government wanted us all to celebrate it, since 2014 year is the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the war.  It was particularly insufferable earlier in the year.

why would anyone want to celebrate the OUTBREAK of a war?
  • seija boy tellem
    back in the trench, you unpatriotic unpatriot

Yes. It's very inappropriate. Hardly the worst thing in the world, but still really awful.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

ffs

Tachyon said:

why would anyone want to celebrate the OUTBREAK of a war?
    i'm guessing they didn't want to wait because the government is likely to be different by the time 2018 comes around.

i can hope, anyway.
    i really don't see what's so awful about that post.
  • edited 2014-11-30 07:16:44
    can someone explain to me what this thing about john green is

i clicked the reddit link and all i see is a librarian (for a town currently in the news) doing an AMA and some author i'm not familiar with promising signed copies of his books to be given to said librarian

and then jokes making fun of internet ads
  • I dont get it either
    Well, it's a white man making a dire need about himself and what he can do, and being smug about it.

You know how King Wencelas is all like; "Let's go get that peasant and stuff food in his face and see how happy he's going to be?" It's like that.

That's plenty that's awful.
  • ...could you actually say _what_ happened, rather than giving analogies and ascribing motives which end up basically being informed traits because i have no idea what source material you're talking about
  • edited 2014-11-30 07:21:31
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Responding to someone who asked specifically for copies of your book and then making a self-deprecatory joke about it makes you a terrible person.

Noted.
  • Responding to someone who asked specifically for copies of your book and then making a self-deprecatory joke about it makes you a terrible person.

Noted.

well yeah if you're a white guy obvs
    i think you have to have a pretty negative view of the guy to interpret that post as smug, but perhaps you know more about him than me.

It's a kind thing he's doing, a small thing but a kind thing.  If the people of Ferguson think his joke was inappropriate then that's fair, but i doubt he intended offence there.

Responding to someone who asked specifically for copies of your book and then making a self-deprecatory joke about it makes you a terrible person.

Noted.

Yes, of course it does. Like he said, he should have given to them without saying anything. He knew this.

...could you actually say _what_ happened, rather than giving analogies and ascribing motives which end up basically being informed traits because i have no idea what source material you're talking about

Don't you listen to Christmas carols? Good King Wencelas?
    oh shit not the white people
  • Hey, let's not pile it on KC.

I get what you're saying but this was not exactly a solemn tribute to Ferguson. It was just a simple thread asking for books; I'm not saying his comment was entirely appropriate, just that there was a clear attempt at self awareness and it wasn't ultimately that out of place.
    Not trying to dogpile KC, just giving my opinion.
  • Wrote that before you made your comment. I generally take a little while to make my posts.

• ...could you actually say _what_ happened, rather than giving analogies and ascribing motives which end up basically being informed traits because i have no idea what source material you're talking about

Don't you listen to Christmas carols? Good King Wencelas?
    I'm talking about the other part of the analogy.  The subject of the current conversation.  Not the Christmas carols.
  • edited 2014-11-30 07:28:31
    damnit internet

is it really that difficult to just post a matter-of-fact, not-affected-by-emotions, try-to-keep-opinions-out, level-headed account of an event
    I didn't think I needed to. All that happened was John Green said something inappropriate and stupid, and now people are justifiably upset.

Also, it's no big deal. After what happened today, this is nothing.
    No. Life without emotions is only for the Buddha.

And none of us are there yet.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

No. Life without emotions is only for the Buddha.

And none of us are there yet.
    that's not what he was trying to say
    There's also some business about how Green's not really using his power of making videos to say stuff about what's been happening.

Which I feel is sort of valid but that it's also not his place.
  • edited 2014-11-30 07:35:23
    what did he say that is allegedly "inappropriate and stupid"

because someone mentioned something about joking about getting pageviews or mentions or something like that

that seems hardly noteworthy

maybe a little scummy from a business ethics perspective but hardly noteworthy at all
    Section's post has a link to it. CTRL+F "original context"
    Your opinions and emotions are always going to colour what you read though, even if you aim for neutrality.  That's all reading is, an act of interpretation.

That doesn't make your interpretation correct, but stepping outside your own experiences to give an objective account isn't as easy as you might think.  Some would call it impossible.
  • can we talk about like

anything else
    i wouldn't mind that

sad, yet vaguely determined man with a hat
    Tachyon makes an excellent point that I tried but failed to make.

True objectivity is basically impossible.
  • edited 2014-11-30 07:38:01
    i've been looking through that link and i'm halfway down this very, very long page and all i can see is people joking about getting books from famous authors by hosting AMAs (I think) and something about knowing John Green from Crash Course History

where even is this alleged inappropriateness