The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• *looks down at chest*

I'm flat chested compared to anime girls.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm flat chested because lol pre-everything trans woman
  • speaking of music, i played a full set of major and minor scales and arpeggios (4 octaves each, three inversions for the arpeggios) last night.

hadn't done it in a while.

it's a decent little workout.

I should probably try that with the saxophone sometime this week.

I have been complaining about stagnation in that area anyway
  • edited 2014-11-15 14:17:48
    Tools said:

*looks down at chest*

I'm flat chested compared to anime girls.

that is probably certainly a good thing.
  • speaking of music, i played a full set of major and minor scales and arpeggios (4 octaves each, three inversions for the arpeggios) last night.

when's the last time you've done it?

i think i did it last...maybe a couple years ago?  if not longer...
  • edited 2014-11-15 14:20:51
    incidentally, looking at my own avatar and title line

i threw together the name "st. anthea of kallenberg" solely because it sounded nice

but come to think of it

that's blood in the picture
    she presumably just shot someone with that gun

it's an interesting juxtaposition -- a (literally) saintly title juxtaposed with the spilling of blood (and specifically, by the looks of the trailer, killing people)
  • also she's supposed to have blond hair but it looks grey/white in the picture

one can argue that's an artifact of lighting (or "lighting" since this is a drawn/animated work), but blah blah blah grey or white hair symbolism blah blah blah
  • i always found it interesting to play against type with hair color symbolism

or just to zig-zag that trope

just to render it meaningless

basically to drive home the point of "don't judge a person by their appearance"
  • so how about an anime series where the girl with long dark blue hair is the spunky happy-go-lucky one and the one with red hair is the quiet one, or something like that

come to think of it, nanoha strikers kinda did that with subaru and teana

though teana isn't exactly a quiet one, just less spunky than subaru
    and pink-haired caro is still a waif
  • Edge of the Sky is a nice track

really great harmonies and key changes

• kill living beings
    everyone is flat chested compared to anime

related: what's the deal with C1 control characters. why are they unused
  • edited 2014-11-15 14:38:11
    i think i figured it out

i don't just want a story that involves politics and political forces and makes me think about them

i want a story that does that, but ALSO makes me feel strongly about cheering on one of those sides (prefereably the side the protagonist is on), while nevertheless still keeping me at the edge of my seat regarding how it's going to turn out, and preferably also portraying both the benefits and costs of political conflict

the simplest depictions of conflict focus on the benefits -- what there is to be won by fighting

then you get those that primarily depict the costs of conflict -- what is lost to collateral damage or to chilling effects or the pain of loss of lives and livelihoods and such

but when is it still worth it to fight?
    is there such a thing as a cause sufficiently just that one could reasonably reconcile that price of conflict with continuing to persevere in that conflict?
  • don't just raise questions about whether war is worth it or not

ANSWER them
  • kill living beings
    have you seen flag
  • no; i just heard of it from looking it up on wikipedia
  • kill living beings
    it's not really about fighting being bad or good but it's the best warnime i've seen, so, just keep that in mind i guess

(it's basically about the us invasion of afghanistan)
  • i hate it when low-level things become unusuable by people at higher levels

up until just now
    i thought i had only encountered this in an MMORPG (the only one i played)
    which had level caps on some quests so you just can't complete the quests anymore after you're past a certain level

but just now
    i realized that this happens in real life

for example
    at low "levels", you learn that conflict happens because people want to achieve goals
    and you enjoy watching people striving through conflict for those goals
    then at somewhat higher "levels", you become interested in the unintended costs of those conflicts, and find the simple depiction of striving for goals via conflict as too simplistic and less enjoyable
  • it's not really about fighting being bad or good but it's the best warnime i've seen, so, just keep that in mind i guess

(it's basically about the us invasion of afghanistan)

lol i've already seen cat shit one (as far as warnimes about afghanistan go) but this does sound interesting
  • kill living beings
    i thought cat shit one was vietnam (also a comedy?)
  • To Sims 3 or not to Sims 3

when's the last time you've done it?

i think i did it last...maybe a couple years ago?  if not longer...
    Probably half a decade

Which reminds me, I'm questioning the idea of what equipment I should use when making music. The track I'm working on now sounds fine with my wireless headset, but I can hear blips and unusual static with the five dollar earphones that I picked up a while back. 
  • Also, advice for drone music. 

I haven't been having trouble with making it, but that probably means I'm not doing it right.
  • And now that I'm switching between headphones, the sound mixer on the computer is frazzling out.

At least I finally managed to find that Shatner sample. Good old Fall on Your Sword came through.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The horror of having your head up your own ass, only to find a waiting room with outdated pop sci magazines and a terrible show playing instead of the messy biological stuff that's supposed to be up there.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

The horror of having your head up your own ass, only to find a waiting room with outdated pop sci magazines and a terrible show playing instead of the messy biological stuff that's supposed to be up there.

Welp, you've found out how Shasta McNasty is making its budget back
  • edited 2014-11-15 17:11:53
    ^ you're tearing me apart scaring me, Congress Anonus
  • a horribly stupid topic to discuss: is tf2's engineer a democrat or republican?
  • a smart way to discuss it:

base the discussion in probabilities, based on proxies such as his race, gender, age, geographic origin, and profession

a stupid way to discuss it:

use his stereotyped personality and match it against negative stereotypes of each party
  • there are smart ways to discuss anything and turn anything into an intellectual discussion

but it's just a question of whether the internet falls victim to the trap of being stupid again
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Wanna know the rest? Hey, buy the rights. How bizarre.
  • the internet appears unable to learn from certain mistakes lol

of course, speaking of "the internet" is like trying to characterize a diverse mob of individual actors all doing things they perceive to be in their self-interest at the moment at which they are doing them
  • Wanna know the rest? Hey, buy the rights. How bizarre.

no

the rights

are FUNDAMENTAL

Wanna know the rest? Hey, buy the rights. How bizarre.

• the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of shasta mcnasty's budget
  • hey look, it's the grinch

i spotted the grinch a couple years back

every time i look around it's in my face
  • then take the KEEP RIGHT sign out of your room

Fig. 165: The exact opposite of what the Democrats are doing, according to some liberal critics.
    I'm not even sure I, like, get that joke
    left-wing
    the Sonic Boom cartoon seems real generic
    Has there ever actually been a good Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon?

That's NO GOOD

AOSTH was one of the only times that DIC created Art, albeit accidentally

The Saturday morning show has its fans, but none of them seem to post here

As the popularity of reality TV fades, what is taking its place is amazing content that's being created by everyday people. We're experiencing something incredible - the democratization of content.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristie-christie/frozen-dads-launch-tv-sho_b_6112164.html?utm_hp_ref=tv&ir=TV

welp I understand why people fume at the word "content" now
    Ariana Grande is older than Anonus even

So why do I feel like a creep when I look at her
  • 25 Ways 'The Little Mermaid' Basically Ruined Your Life
    5 ways clickbait article titles are reminiscent of madlibs
  • wow this ladys voice is boring
    Man we used to do Mad Libs in my 5th grade class

The teacher would read out the parts of speech and then we'd make a list of words on the board and then she'd read out the story

Whenever we needed a proper noun we'd go for "Monica Lewinsky", which says something about how long ago I was in 5th grade