The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• tl;dr Madoka Magica shares one major flaw with Pokémon the First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back -- i.e., it feels like it's trying to tell me something, but is insufficiently engaging otherwise

as such, the story is interesting, but the delivery feels lacking and flawed
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    That's his de-factor modus operandi, though. He doesn't write characters, he writes agents who are pulled to act towards the plot.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    this makes me wanna watch madomagi
  • i could try to come up with a fix fic idea for madomagi but i don't even know where to start -- it's just sort of too messed up for me to even make sense of what i want to do with it

like with kiddy grade i knew i wanted to explore the angle of social and political conflict, but here i just don't know...

lol i've spent far too much time thinking about madomagi
    i know i did the same with other series but at least those were ones i enjoyed more
  • My dreams exceed my real life

this makes me wanna watch madomagi

It's pretty good.
    You'd like the Witch Labyrinth scenes at the very least.
  • this makes me wanna watch madomagi

lol i've probably spoiled part of it for you?

i dunno

well i originally thought not knowing spoilers might have improved the experience for me, but after thinking about it some more, i'm not sure even that would have fixed the problems

That's his de-factor modus operandi, though. He doesn't write characters, he writes agents who are pulled to act towards the plot.

yeah, that's what i've heard.  i think you were the one who told me, actually, lol
  • Odradek said:

You'd like the Witch Labyrinth scenes at the very least.

yeah, the series is, visually, quite "artsy"

and kajiura's soundtrack is entirely consistent with that portrayal

thing is the "artsiness" detracts from the relatability of the scenario and characters, in this case
    Witch Labyrinth, eh?

As for spoilers, well, I'm not gonna lose my head over it
    I like artsiness, fuck characters
  • edited 2014-11-15 11:42:40
    and also, probably more recommended a watch if you're a fan of the magical girl genre or at least know its conventions or major series well.  such as the seminal Cardcaptor Sakura.  (so basically, more of the "cute girl gets magical powers" plot type, as opposed to the "magical girl team" plot type that you get from Sailor Moon.)

if not, there might not be much of a mold in your mind to be broken.

i think i walked in with a pre-broken mold anyway so i didn't feel hit by any metaphorical trains, despite everyone talking about how much that was a big part of the whole deal.
  • Witch Labyrinth, eh?

As for spoilers, well, I'm not gonna lose my head over it

i fucking hate those jokes

i didn't even like that character that much but i still fucking hate those jokes

they are all. over. youtube.
  • edited 2014-11-15 11:44:05
    like every video that has the DOOOO REEEEE MII DOO FAAAAA

there are head jokes

and i'm like

FUCK.
    YOU.

SHUT. THE FUCK. UP.
  • you know what else pisses me off?

camel crickets.  and they're less annoying than head jokes.
  • edited 2014-11-15 11:45:11
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    fine, I'll do Mami's mammies jokes instead

I prefer those anyway
  • y'know what else pisses me off?

getting hit by jarate.
  • edited 2014-11-15 11:45:48

fine, I'll do Mami's mammies jokes instead

I prefer those anyway

i'll accept that compromise

let's bring this bill to the full House floor for an up-or-down vote
    Full House? I remember that show
  • Well, the moment has passed.  Back to work!
  • I can often not really make heads nor tails of TinyMixtape reviews.

The thing about Tinymixtapes you have to keep in mind is that they approach albums like literary theorists approach books, They like to dissect music to try to find what the artist is going for and contextualise it within music and the greater cultural sphere. This sounds pretentious at first blush, but if you accept the premise that music is truly important (whether personally or universally) and that it has the potential to mean more than its surface value, then it doesn't strike me as overreaching to treat it like something worth analysing on that level.

Which is not to say that they are completely humourless or whatever, but there is an intensity there that is unusual.
    maybe that is why I don't get it.
    I am mildly amused that HH has as many music people as it does.
  • Odradek said:

i am somewhat disappointed that the other music people of HH don't talk the same music that i talk

though this is not their fault
  • speaking of music, i played a full set of major and minor scales and arpeggios (4 octaves each, three inversions for the arpeggios) last night.

hadn't done it in a while.

it's a decent little workout.
  • Odradek said:

why
  • sunn wolf verdict on musicthings

rtj2: pretty good and for the most part i didnt bother listening to the lyrics particularly though some were good from half paying attention

atomos: it's nice. real nice. making me wonder if it's too nice. i think it might just come down on the right side of the line
  • the lyrics from rtj2 were disappointing
  • edited 2014-11-15 12:24:11
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    sunn wolf said:

america is such a big weird and varied country

i live in england

it's small

the climate is rain

only london is important

Man, you live in flat, featureless England.  I feel sorry for you.

(and Tachyon's not here to chew me out for this!  nanananananaaaaaaaaaaanaaaaaaaaaa!)

(Okay, I swear this is the last time I talk about places I don't like in this way.  I've made my point that I don't like it when you talk about the places I like in that way.)
  • ^ aliroz confirmed for batman
  • naney said:

the lyrics from rtj2 were disappointing

some were good but idk really because im very bad at paying atttention to lyrics in general.
    It is weird that a rainly glorified island ran huge portions of the world at some point.
  • there were lots of really memorable and cool moments on the first one

but after listening to the second one 3 times now the only things that have really stuck with me are the running backwards through a field of dicks bit, the beat from Blockbuster Night 1 and Crown which was incredibly dope all around
  • Crown is so good that it almost makes up for the rest of it tho
  • naney said:

running backwards through a field of dicks

you see i completely missed that
  • not much stuck with me but i enjoyed listening 2 it
  • if i like music in the moment then i am considerably less bothered by whether it sticks to me or not rly
    TIL that the famed St Nicholas was at the Nicean council.

He got so angry about perceived heresy on the part of Arius that he walked up and slapped him, and got in a lot of trouble.
  • edited 2014-11-15 12:41:17

seriously this track is amazing
  • edited 2014-11-15 12:47:04
    can someone please tell me, in encyclopedic fashion (e.g. "something you'd find on wikipedia"), what Run The Jewels and Meow The Jewels are?

i keep on seeing them mentioned around here
    Run the Jewels is a rap album by a rap group of the same name.

Meow the Jewels is a remake of the second album of said rap group with cat noises.
  • run the jewels is a rap duo consisting of the unlikely pairing of Killer Mike and El-P

Meow the Jewels is a remix of the second Run The Jewels album consisting entirely of cat noises that started out as a joke but apparently it's in the works
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    If the rap critic don't mention it, I don't listen to it.

le trollface for mojave
  • run the jools holland
    she's lump
    she's lump
    she's lump
    she might be dead
    I don't want to go to work but I guess I will anyway
  • Imipolex G's avatars generally look really really adorably cute but then when i click them i discover some animu girl with big breasts

and this avatar is no exce--*clicks*

...well, i have been shown i am not the prophet.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    > implying anime girls with big breasts can't be adorably cute
  • they can, but it gets a little difficult if said breasts are oversized beyond pretty much all reason

which happens a little too often in anime fanart
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You're just jealous that Imi's hypothetical boobs are bigger than yours