The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life

You know who'd like Time Fcuk?

Sredni

"it's like the Death Grips of video games" -- me, endorsing Time Fcuk
    The platforming gets a bit difficult at times, but I think he would like it yeah.
  • Odradek said:

You know who'd like Time Fcuk?

Sredni

"it's like the Death Grips of video games" -- me, endorsing Time Fcuk
    The platforming gets a bit difficult at times, but I think he would like it yeah.
    have you played Rebirth yet?

it's fuckign awesome
  • ach, ma needs the computer

later fellows!
    I have played a decent amount.
  • Video games are such a weird thing, when you think about it

We have these computers that are orders of magnitude more powerful than any technology used in the Apollo space programs, and we use them for entertainment
    Elevating the human experience isn't something worth shooting for? 

Mind you, there are still like loads of problems in the world, but humans beings are sort of these creatures with entire mental wellbeings that oftentimes needs just as much care as their physical beings.

saying that... not only making entertainment, but enjoying entertainment is something that is bottom rung seems entirely... ignorant. 
    Alice Cooper seems like a good soundtrack to Binding of Isaaac.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I dunno, it's just kind of impressive to me that this technology that would have been inconceivable just a few decades ago is now accessible enough that we can afford to use it for leisure
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    When I was a little kid I used to pretend I had a "computer book"

It was just something I made out of cardboard, but in my head it was a computer about the size of a trade paperback that you could open up, play games or send email or something from, and then close up the cover and stuff it in your backpack with real books.

And now that I'm a grown-up...

• I grew up with a computer in the 90s, so advancements in technology for me, while still somewhat astounding, are just taken in stride.
  • So, I accidentally left my laptop cooling pad at a friend's house and since my comupter will overheat if I play certain games on it without some sort of additional cooling, I had the idea to put a small box fan on its side and use it as an impromptu cooling pad. This has to be the silliest yet still effective jury rigging I've done.
  • edited 2014-11-13 21:37:32
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yay jury rigging

I always have that running gag of "since I'm biracial, when I jury-rig something is it 'redneck' or 'ghetto'?"
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I've heard it said that as limited as Apollo's computers were, they were still immensely, outrageously hardy and reliable. Which is what you need with a space mission.

I've heard it said that as limited as Apollo's computers were, they were still immensely, outrageously hardy and reliable. Which is what you need with a space mission.

Seems sensible.

I guess that is one major difference between those purpose-built machines and the sort of general-purpose consumer computers available nowadays
    I remember back when people were freaking out over Y2K, it was pointed out that anyone seriously reliant on computers for a life-or-death scenario (medical equipment, air traffic control, etc.) would never actually be running something like Windows 98 anyway.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

I remember back when people were freaking out over Y2K, it was pointed out that anyone seriously reliant on computers for a life-or-death scenario (medical equipment, air traffic control, etc.) would never actually be running something like Windows 98 anyway.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, actually.

There are a lot of essential services that still use Windows XP out there, so I would easily imagine there were a lot that used Windows 98 back in 2000.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    we're all gonna die
  • kill living beings

the apollo programs were really pretty great. they very nearly all died because of an out of memory exception (they accidentally left some sensors designed for space on during the landing, and they went crazy with all the input data), but even their shitty 56 kb lack of OS had an OOM-killer, so they could still land.

I dunno, it's just kind of impressive to me that this technology that would have been inconceivable just a few decades ago is now accessible enough that we can afford to use it for leisure

it is impressive

There are a lot of essential services that still use Windows XP out there, so I would easily imagine there were a lot that used Windows 98 back in 2000.
    yeah i have bad news
  • edited 2014-11-13 22:34:47
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You know, I shouldn't be so hard on the eastern coast states of the United States (Virginia, maryland, Ohio, Delaware, Vermont, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Michigan, West Virginia, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Georgia, Maine, Indiana, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, and New Hampshire).

They are a buffer keeping the important and beauty-containing states from the evil influences of the great waters. If the east didn't exist, then Montana would have to have a coastline. And I don't want to think about what would happen to the south.

Why the West coast isn't as bad is clear: all of its badness was concentrated in California.

• kill living beings
    Aliroz said:

They are a buffer keeping the important and beauty-containing states from the evil influences of the great waters. If the east didn't exist, then Montana would have to have a coastline.

missoula amirite
    Screw Windows

I'm moving to Nicki Minaj OS
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    You know, it's really fun to talk about blue states the way you guys talk about red states.
  • Aliroz your weird ironic statements are becoming impenetrably again, genuinely friendly warning.
  • becoming impenetrably
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think he hit the wrong key. It happens.

Also, most of the South consists of coastal states.
  • your statements are becoming john malkovich
    your statements are becoming questions
  • On the outside
    grows the furside
    on the inside
    grows the skinside
    so the furside
    is the outside
    and the skinside
    is the inside
    oneside likes the
    skinside inside
    and the furside
    on the outside
    others like the
    skinside outside
    and the furside
    on the inside
    if you turn the
    skinside inside
    thinking you will
    side with that
    side then the
    softside fursides
    inside which
    some argue is
    the wrong side
    if you turn the
    furside outside
    as you say it
    grows on that side
    then your outsides
    next to skinside
    which becomforts
    not the right side
    frilly dresses
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

yeah i have bad news
    I assume this was in agreement with me.
    Windows XP is no longer supported, so if essential services still use it then we're probably fucked
  • edited 2014-11-13 23:17:29
    (2015 self)
    Okay, it just really bugs me the way you guys talk smack about the red states.

So, I comfort myself by reminding myself that the best stuff is west of the Mississippi.

Need I remind you that the world's oldest and largest single organism lives in Utah? Or that the sphinx is in Montana? Or that Mount Mazama, , is in Oregon? Or that new Mexico's snowy river cave system is one of the ten longest in the world and is completely ecologically unique, having fascinating microbial life that is so rare and precious that tourists are not allowed at all there anymore? Or that Nevada has, um, sagebrush and flatness?

Take that, east states! How do you like your progressive social policies and actually funded education now, huh? Oh, and your cultural heritage and museums with all the cool art and the EVERYTHING ABOUT HARLEM and the library of Congress and Cleveland is awesome, and Boston in fall and your standard of living and SHUT UP WE HAVE GORGES.

Stupid east states.
  • edited 2014-11-13 23:45:08
    (2015 self)
    England is to the Eastern United States what the Eastern United States are to the Awesome States.

And The Awesome States are to South America as Eastern United States is to the awesome states. And South America had the same relation to Africa and Australia, which are, strictly speaking, the best, because wait that makes no sense what am I even saying here

RESURGAM BEFORE I EMBARRASS MYSELF FURTHER.
    people live everywhere except Antarctica.

ergo, Antarctica is the best
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Dear Celestia, today I learned the importance of not posting while sleep deprived.
    I learned that one a long time ago
    Apparently the level of impairment is similar to drunkenness.

In other words, HEY AL IS BLITZED, LET'S TAKE PHOTOS.
    tan(θ)
  • edited 2014-11-13 23:51:21
    (2015 self)
    Oh gosh.

I knew I was going to regret staying up last night...

RESURGAM.
    Run while you still can! Just don't trip!
  • edited 2014-11-13 23:55:08
    (2015 self)
    -handwalks away-

Night, fellas.
    there are bullet bills in Mario Kart now?
    Popped a melatonin, which I'm going to regret in the morning but be thankful for in the afternoon
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

there are bullet bills in Mario Kart now?

they've been present since Mario Kart Wii

I might be wrong, but that track looks a lot like DK Mountain from Mario Kart Double Dash!!
    the only true Mario Kart is the SNES original

/grumpy old cow