The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ugh, work in the morning

three weeks left of this

i don't know how i'm gonna manage to drag myself in there for 15 more non-consecutive days -_-
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm feeling kind of bluh in that I'm going to end my boring-ass job only to immediately throw myself into full-time classes at Ohio State

I haven't done full-time schooling in years...
  • at least you have something to do that people won't constantly say you're lazy and listless for doing

I'm going to be doing absolutely nothing for about a quarter of a year. It's going to fucking suck b/c I know my uncle will get wind of it and never let me hear the end of it.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You know, making music and writing about things is quite the opposite of "lazy." It's not like you just sit around and stare at the TV while doing nothing. You do things. You just have problems that make conventional job and school things harder, and people who get on you for that without respecting what skills you do have and what sacrifices you are clearly willing to make can go fuck themselves with rusty corkscrews.
    Your uncle is a self-important jackass.
  • my uncle is a police chief.

pathetic scrub job
    See, I think I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum right now

I didn't want to admit it to myself, but I worry i may have bitten off more than I can chew, academics-wise
    $5 says I end up as "Lesson Zero" Twilight Sparkle by October
  • like are there any police officers out there with IQs above 90?
  • Your uncle is a self-important jackass.

the two are not mutually exclusive.

See, I think I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum right now

I didn't want to admit it to myself, but I worry i may have bitten off more than I can chew, academics-wise

I think this with everything I do.

It is not conductive to a good life.
  • edited 2014-08-04 01:33:46
    We can do anything if we do it together.

$5 says I end up as "Lesson Zero" Twilight Sparkle by October

That happened to me two years in a row. It's not fun.

I hope I can help you make it through, and try to avoid the mistakes that I made.
    Thanks Section.

It's just...bluh, I haven't taken a full-time courseload since Spring 2012, and even then one of my classes was online...I worry it was a mistake to just drop myself right back into this as I've done
  • edited 2014-08-04 01:44:47
    If I'm being honest, I'm kinda anxious about what's going to happen to me this fall, too.

I know, however, that if I don't push myself to make it through somehow, I'm not going to get the life that I want to have. You aren't going to get the life that you want to have either if you keep delaying. We've both delayed for essentially three years now, and we both need to get on the horse that is life and learn how to command it before it crushes us under its feet.

Let's try our best not to cave into pressure this time. I know we can get through this together if we give it our best effort.
    naney said:

like are there any police officers out there with IQs above 90?

Yes. There are also some very charming and reasonable policemen out there. But it really depends on where you are and why they came onto the force, which is not exactly something that you know right off the bat. It also depends on rank, but that's even thornier.
    Back in 2011-2012 I viewed college as this cool sort of thing, and I made a routine of going to campus for most of a day and using the time between classes to study or hang out.

By the end of 2012 I had shifted to taking minimal coursework and viewing school as kind of a burden. I never stuck around longer than I had to; I'd just go to my one class and go straight home.

Now that I'm finally out of that community college and into OSU I'd like to go back to the former approach, but it's going to be a mighty big shift to do all at once...

If I'm being honest, I'm kinda anxious about what's going to happen to me this fall, too.

I know, however, that if I don't push myself to make it through somehow, I'm not going to get the life that I want to have. You aren't going to get the life that you want to have either if you keep delaying. We've both delayed for essentially three years now, and we both need to get on the horse that is life and learn how to command it before it crushes us under its feet.

Let's try our best not to cave into pressure this time. I know we can get through this together if we give it our best effort.
    Well said.

Let's agree that if we survive this semester we'll do something cool for winter break.

Anonus too.
  • edited 2014-08-04 01:53:42

Well said.

Let's agree that if we survive this semester we'll do something cool for winter break.

Anonus too.
    Maybe we can jam together in plug at some point during the winter break together? :P

Of course, SFS will have to be there with us whenever we do it.

I need hugs.

*hugs the Mo*
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    meow
    My mind has gone weird places

Does having an imaginary world that varies slightly depending on who I'm role-playing with mean I'm Too Autistic
    So when you look at a photograph

How do you know it's just a photograph

And not a photograph of a photograph
  • Four hours to go until school, and I need to do two essays.

Ah, the ever compelling saga of my enormous capacity to procrastinate.

TO BE FAIR I didn't realize I had more than one summer reading assignment until I ran into a friend who didn't provide the information needed until recently.

Still kind of dumb how much I put it off, but c'est la me.

...that pun was clever. Appreciate it.
  • Also Metamorphosis is interesting, but somewhat infuriating.
    Kexruct said:

Also Metamorphosis is interesting, but somewhat infuriating.

The Kafka novella?
  • god neelix is such a fuckin dork
  • Kexruct said:

Also Metamorphosis is interesting, but somewhat infuriating.

The Kafka novella?
    ye

I didn't know what to expect- I absorbed surprisingly little of it from hearing it mentioned so many times- but I was not expecting to get angry.
    Kexruct said:

ye

I didn't know what to expect- I absorbed surprisingly little of it from hearing it mentioned so many times- but I was not expecting to get angry.
    Why angry?
  • So when you look at a photograph

How do you know it's just a photograph

And not a photograph of a photograph

Pixel count, silly

Kexruct said:

ye

Why angry?
    Because the situation presented is pitiable and could be so easily fixed with a little bit more communication.

Because the situation presented is pitiable and could be so easily fixed with a little bit more communication.

You are not Kex!

Also, isn't that Kafka in a nutshell?
  • BECAUSE HE'S SO GREAT AND HIS FAMILY'S SO TERRIBLE

I'm not angry in a bad way; I mean, that's clearly the intent, but it's still frustrating. I liked the story quite a bit, but man
    What is it with independent-film artistes and being think-skinned, whiny assholes? I'm talking about Lupa's "Zen filmmaking" reviews from 2012, which apparently had to be removed and reposted in heavily censored form because Scott Shaw "contacted" her. I'm assuming that either a copyright infringement lawsuit or an actual death threat was involved. I don't know the details.
    Whereas the studios almost never go after critics. If they had the thin skins these fucking artiste types had, n one outside of Chicago would have ever heard of Siskel and Ebert.
    I know something similar also happened to Oancitizen and Brad Jones once (each), but that was less infuriating because they were reviewing unreleased films, things that were considered embarrassments by their authors and could well have gotten them both sued for defamation.
    lee4hmz said:

I know something similar also happened to Oancitizen and Brad Jones once (each), but that was less infuriating because they were reviewing unreleased films, things that were considered embarrassments by their authors and could well have gotten them both sued for defamation.

What Is It? was unreleased?
    As I understand it, it was something Crispin Glover only wanted seen if he could host the showing personally.
  • edited 2014-08-04 02:54:37
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm guessing that's code for "this was meant as an in-joke or shibboleth between a few close friends, and was never meant to be seen by anyone else."
    lee4hmz said:

I'm guessing that's code for "this was meant as an in-joke or shibboleth between a few close friends, and was never meant to be seen by anyone else."

Ah.

So panning a leak of such a film would sort of be missing the point of the film in question?
    Still, the fact that a raging asshole was able to successfully bully an Internet reviewer into not talking about any of his films except in the most circumscribed of ways is pretty troubling.

lee4hmz said:

Ah.

So panning a leak of such a film would sort of be missing the point of the film in question?
    I suppose so, yeah.

Kyle also took down his review of The Girlfriend Experience, but that was his choice, since he thought he was way too hard on the star herself instead of sticking to the film.
  • edited 2014-08-04 03:07:01
    lee4hmz said:

Still, the fact that a raging asshole was able to successfully bully an Internet reviewer into not talking about any of his films except in the most circumscribed of ways is pretty troubling.

This makes me think of how Bryan Adams was able to get AllMusic to take down their reviews of his discography.
  • edited 2014-08-04 03:08:28
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ I remember him talking about that, and he was, but at least he copped to it. I can also understand the temptation to rip into a movie when it's presented like that even when it misses the point.

In any case, I really do respect his approach to the whole video review thing. He doesn't softball his reviews, but he doesn't go out of his way to pan things or complain about how "pretentious" a film is, either. He's very even-handed, insightful and amusing.
    lee4hmz said:

Yeah, that's a serious issue. I understand why he would be upset, but his approach was pretty ridiculous.