The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Kexruct said:

It's just asking the wrong question to ask if it's "actually" a game. What good can that conversation bring?

Like, what other medium has to prove itself worthy of being in that medium?
    Literature. See the ongoing elitism over genre fiction and "real" literature.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Kexruct said:

It's just asking the wrong question to ask if it's "actually" a game. What good can that conversation bring?

Occasionally people get angry at some movies for not being movies, or books for not being books, generally when they get too experimental for their tastes.
  • gotta make sure that plebs don't see the endings
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Odradek that review was great.
  • Kexruct said:

was anyone doing that?
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Gone Home is a walking simulator!

/stuffotherpeopleactuallybelieve

Nah people believe this about Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs because people don't like good games.
    this is an opinion people have about any video game that's not Pac-Man.
    Pac-Man is an atrocious game

From it's shameless retro-attempt to appeal to eighties kids, to it's idiotically simplistic gameplay, the whole package is just insultingly indie. Ghosts are added, perhaps as some sort of ham-fisted symbol of death, and the whole game revolves around eating flashing pellets, perhaps reflecting the creator's obsession with food.  Pac-Man himself controls like a sack of potatos, and the whole game seems destined to be played by those who have only played classic games through the use of emulators and save states.

Fine, if you're one of those insipid manchildren who prefer hamburgers to steak, Spec Ops to CAVE shooters, beer to wine, and Russell to Nietzsche, but for those of us who are adults, Pac-Man offers little.

0/10
    if Pac-Man had never existed before, and came out today, and was for iOS and Android, people would slam it as casual garbage.
  • Wilhelm said:

gotta make sure that plebs don't see the endings

the "no endings" thing to me has always felt kinda insulting because it ties into this larger attitude I sometimes see where people think that how good you are at video games has some correlation to your character as a person.

See also: Team Ninja.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Wilhelm said:

The endings aren't that hard to see imo; sometimes even an Easy 1cc is enough.
    I don't see why Flappy Bird has to be anything other than Flappy Bird.
  • Kexruct said:

was anyone doing that?
    No, and I didn't claim that anyone was.

Kexruct said:

Literature. See the ongoing elitism over genre fiction and "real" literature.

Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Occasionally people get angry at some movies for not being movies, or books for not being books, generally when they get too experimental for their tastes.
    Ah. 

Well, it's still dumb.
  • Miko said:

Wilhelm said:

I am reasonably certain that if you could survey everyone who plays video games in the world, most would not find the Easy difficulty of any shmup to actually be that easy.
    The git gud scrubs attitude is annoying.

See Dark Souls, where despite using a shield being recommended, supported, part of the default game, done by most of the NPCs, and extremely helpful, parts of the fandom still persist in seeing shield usage as a crutch for scrubs.

Note that Dual Wielding was not really supported until Dark Souls 2.
  • edited 2014-06-19 23:40:58
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I don't really have anything to add to this conversation, except to say that being "casual" doesn't necessarily have to mean dumbed down, like many gamers seem to think it does.

Plants Vs. Zombies is a good example of a "casual" game that holds up as a real game.
    Plants Vs Zombies is so fun.
  • Odradek said:

See Dark Souls, where despite using a shield being recommended, supported, part of the default game, done by most of the NPCs, and extremely helpful, parts of the fandom still persist in seeing shield usage as a crutch for scrubs.

Someone actually compared me to a racist once because my DkS 2 character is a sorcerer.

Don't ask me how they came to that conclusion because that still baffles me to this day, and that was months ago.
  • and of course playing dark souls requires you to interact with these people
  • I don't really have anything to add to this conversation, except to say that being "casual" doesn't necessarily have to mean dumbed down, like many gamers seem to think it does.

Plants Vs. Zombies is a good example of a "casual" game that holds up as a real game.
    "Casual" is literally a meaningless descriptor.

It is possible to play almost any game casually and it's possible to play almost any game obsessively and in a "hardcore" way.

Odradek said:

Someone actually compared me to a racist once because my DkS 2 character is a sorcerer.

Don't ask me how they came to that conclusion because that still baffles me to this day, and that was months ago.
    Sorcerers have a HARDER time in the early game, IMO.
  • Wilhelm said:

and of course playing dark souls requires you to interact with these people

actually talking to anyone you meet in Dark Souls is pretty rare, despite the presence of a voice chat function.

Also strictly speaking you do not need to ever interact with anyone. I'd argue it doesn't even really make the game that much harder.

Comics trying to remain hip has lead to an odd situation where some jokes can only be understood if you have the same level of cultural knowledge and ignorance the author has.
  • I was also relatively recently accused of being a corporate sabotager (sabotagist?) when I said that people are going to be disappointed with Bloodborne. That was also fun.
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Sorcerers have a HARDER time in the early game, IMO.
    even if they don't, who honestly cares

90% of the people who play Dark Souls are just there to play, the remaining 10% go to r/darksouls2 and bitch about how pyromancy is unbalanced.
  • edited 2014-06-19 23:46:39
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Well, O&S is a pretty significant spike in difficulty if you solo it, owing to how that fight works in the first place.
  • Well, O&S is a pretty significant spike in difficulty if you solo it, owing to how that fight works in the first place.

Yeah but that's like the only major stopping block I can think of unless you insist on doing the bonus boss at the end of the DLC.

I'm not saying I'd want to do it, but it's possible.

Dark Souls 2 has even less of a difficulty discrepancy when you're soloing vs. playing with summons. Summons actually make some fights much harder because goddammit you fucking idiot stay away from the ballista.
    I am reasonably certain that if you could survey everyone who plays
    video games in the world, most would not find the Easy difficulty of any
    shmup to actually be that easy.
    I'm not completely disagreeing with you, but I think that an Easy clear isn't very demanding and only asks the minimum of players, enough to understand the basic mechanics and strategies and not much beyond that.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    shooters r hard
  • Miko said:

I am reasonably certain that if you could survey everyone who plays
    video games in the world, most would not find the Easy difficulty of any
    shmup to actually be that easy.
    I'm not completely disagreeing with you, but I think that an Easy clear isn't very demanding and only asks the minimum of players, enough to understand the basic mechanics and strategies and not much beyond that.
    Fair enough.

I still think that the idea that the narrative of the Touhou series is something so good it has to be protected behind a skill wall is very silly though.
    I would play Dark Souls (I still have it) but I probably need better specs for it, and I also haven't looked into how well it emulates on Wine.
  • Miko said:

I would play Dark Souls (I still have it) but I probably need better specs for it, and I also haven't looked into how well it emulates on Wine.

I don't have a Linux but popular word is that it basically doesn't.

The PC port of the first Dark Souls was fuck awful in every technical aspect. It speaks to the game's quality that it's as well regarded as it is regardless of that.
  • edited 2014-06-20 00:00:16
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Miko said:

Wilhelm said:

No, because Touhou is incredibly difficult.

Not all of us have superhuman reflexes, Miko.
    I still think that the idea that the narrative of the Touhou series is something so good it has to be protected behind a skill wall is very silly though.
    Me too, especially since the stories are essentially nonsense and dark humour, and the endings in particular are anti-climactic and non-serious. The mythology of Gensokyo is rich and does interest me a lot, and some of the characters have some nice (and often dark) back stories, but it's not like the series has, well... a plot of any kind. XD
  • kill living beings
    i was going to respond to something on the last page but this looks pretty dumb, so, nevermind. what are your feelings on
    No, because Touhou is incredibly difficult and is possibly a
    cause of the same Repetitive Motion and Sensory overload related
    problems my mom has been havingfrim medical-transcriptionist-ing all the
    time.

Not all of us have superhuman reflexes, Miko.

^^ My feelings on that image are that I probably don't know as much chemistry as my gf does.
  • i was going to respond to something on the last page but this looks pretty dumb, so, nevermind. what are your feelings on

I think Black is gonna win for sure. Second place is gonna be a close race between Red and Grey though.
  • kill living beings
    i think ur seriously underestimating white
  • i think ur seriously underestimating white

nah, White is finished unless Red does something very skillful, and he won't, you can tell Red is a rookie player.

He's got all those O and H units, but they're scattered all over the board! Such recklessness.
    It's pretty obviously going to be a dark horse victory by purple, lying in wait for the most opportune moment for a sneak attack.
  • Fossilmaiden, I don't think you actually understand how this game is played :|
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    RESURGAM.

Nah, Touhou probably has no I'll health effects, and I'm just looking in for an excuse not to get into it.

Won't be posting tomorrow, real life stuff.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Bolt and bar the shutter,
    For the foul winds blow:
    Our minds are at their best this night,
    And I seem to know
    That everything outside us is
    Mad as the mist and snow.

Horace there by Homer stands,
    Plato stands below,
    And here is Tully's open page.
    How many years ago
    Were you and I unlettered lads
    Mad as the mist and snow?

You ask what makes me sigh, old friend,
    What makes me shudder so?
    I shudder and I sigh to think
    That even Cicero
    And many-minded Homer were
    Mad as the mist and snow.
    was that the Ohio molecule
    Not getting into Touhou is a personal choice and one that will perhaps better preserve one's sanity. But for me it has been wonderful and introduced me to new things and helped me through difficult times!
    Also I was rather insane to begin with and Touhou was just a ready vehicle for my lunacy.
    Touhou is cool but it is pretty hard
    I wonder what Ganon's up to
  • i still cannot get my foot behind my head

Touhou is cool but it is pretty hard

But Touhou has Patchouli Knowledge in it.

Incense Wisdom

i still cannot get my foot behind my head

I always thought male legs were harder to contort backwards than female ones, but I'm not sure.