The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• so I was browsing EU4's achievement list and

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    An important reminder that SMB1 Hammer Bros are cheating jerks with oversized hitboxes.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the worst enemies in that game fer sure
  • kill living beings
    damn right
    unless you can just fireball 'em
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

The oft-rumored but rarely-seen oblong fish-eye lens!

I was thinking exactly that!

I kinda like it, personally.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    lol the only reason someone would want to ban videos of their game is if people could only experience it in one way. Nearly every shmup that is released now will always have a replay feature, and that is because gameplay is meant to be shared!! People have different play styles and skill levels and discover new things in the game and it would be a real shame to ban people being able to showcase a game in the manner they want. But like I said, if a developer wants to ban videos of their game, in my opinion it reflects poorly on the way the game involves its player(s) and audience.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

That hitbox is smaller than I thought. :o
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Charles Soule is supposed to be pretty good, as comics authors go.
    Miko said:

lol the only reason someone would want to ban videos of their game is if people could only experience it in one way. Nearly every shmup that is released now will always have a replay feature, and that is because gameplay is meant to be shared!! People have different play styles and skill levels and discover new things in the game and it would be a real shame to ban people being able to showcase a game in the manner they want. But like I said, if a developer wants to ban videos of their game, in my opinion it reflects poorly on the way the game involves its player(s) and audience.

I recently bought The Wonderful 101 because someone I like is doing an LP of it and I wanted to experience it myself.

LPs also why I bought Dark Souls, They Breath, XCom, Myst, Legend of Grimrock, The Void, The Binding of Isaac, Metal Gear Rising, Uplink, and Nier.

So Phil Fish is speaking out of his ass here.
  • edited 2014-06-19 23:03:32
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    http://www.tickld.com/funny/t/732659

goodness... I want to believe these are made up.
  • Well, I can't imagine most people would buy a visual novel after seeing an LP of it, but that' really the only counterexample I can think of.
  • edited 2014-06-19 23:09:47
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I never watch LPs, really. I watch a lot of replays and demonstrations, occasionally with (knowledgeable, expert) commentary.
    If you have watched this LP, you will die in 7 plays.
    The window was open for like a whole day and this room still smells like weed. :v
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Miko said:

The window was open for like a whole day and this room still smells like weed. :v

You don't like the smell of weed?
    are you high, Miko
    We didn't even use weed in here at all.
  • edited 2014-06-19 23:12:35
    You don't like the smell of weed?
    I find it relaxing.

are you high, Miko

Nope.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    ivivvivivjviviviv
    Kexruct said:

Well, I can't imagine most people would buy a visual novel after seeing an LP of it, but that' really the only counterexample I can think of.

True.

Sometimes they still buy it, even if the game was bad because they are curious, or even if it was a VN because they want to support the developer.
  • Fez (the *only* notable game Phil Fish has ever done) is a puzzle game (a very involved, difficult puzzle game, mind you), so in that light I can sort of see where he's coming from, but there's still an enormous leap between "I'd rather you not LP my game past a certain point" and "you owe me money you fucking piece of goddamn shit fuck you"
    I can't stand the smell of weed, personally.
    It's always better to experience a game in 60fps, uncompressed, and at the full resolution, instead of that 30fps youtube nonsense.
    I remember hearing that in Japan, the developers of one VN asked people not to LP their game past the first chapter, and that apparently worked, either by being enforced or people respecting their wishes.
  • Miko said:

It's always better to experience a game in 60fps, uncompressed, and at the full resolution, instead of that 30fps youtube nonsense.

FOV slider or it's fucking garbage
    I only watch LPs if its the cow of rao
    (2015 self)

I would make an exception for an interactive story I guess. For example, Zun asks his fans not to share the Touhou endings, and they generally respect this. You can still find the endings in a few not-so-well-known places on the internet, but most people don't post them.
    Aliroz said:

I find it strange that you know what it smells like.
    We have 6,082 threads for regular members.
  • Miko said:

I would make an exception for an interactive story I guess. For example, Zun asks his fans not to share the Touhou endings, and they generally respect this. You can still find the endings in a few not-so-well-known places on the internet, but most people don't post them.

Touhou is not an interactive story.

An interactive story implies like, Gone Home, or something like The Stanley Parable.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I have never smelled weed

Not that I could tell, anyway
    Gone Home is a walking simulator!

/stuffotherpeopleactuallybelieve

Nah people believe this about Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs because people don't like good games.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Miko said:

http://www.tickld.com/funny/t/732659

goodness... I want to believe these are made up.

Look up Not Always Right if you haven't already.

None of those are implausible.
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

Aliroz said:

I find it strange that you know what it smells like.

People at my high school, on the bus home before I switched busses to Busdriver Dave, the Ogier-The-Dane of bus drivers. May his legend live on forever.
  • Odradek said:

Nah people believe this about Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs because people don't like good games.
    this is an opinion people have about any video game that's not Pac-Man.
    Pong: Extreme Walking Edition: Super Hyper Turbo Max.
  • Pong: Extreme Walking Edition: Super Hyper Turbo Max.

You know what I mean.

For as long as I have had even a passing interest in video games, there have been people being mad that the games are not "game" enough.

These people are known as immature idiots who cannot handle people liking things that are different from the things they like.
    Touhou isn't an interactive story, of course, but I mean that if the endings are supposed to be a surprise, then I don't mind letting people play the game and see for themselves, although I don't know why Zun wants them to be secret.

While I'm on this topic, I wouldn't let any game fall into my "interactive story" category unless the gameplay is impossible to separate from the story (i.e. a visual novel).
  • I mean ideally, the ending of any narrative is supposed to be a surprise, at least in some way.

Do people still abide by the "no spoiling the endings" thing? I've seen full transcripts of Touhou games before without really actively looking for them.

Odradek said:

this is an opinion people have about any video game that's not Pac-Man.
    Pac-Man is an atrocious game

From it's shameless retro-attempt to appeal to eighties kids, to it's idiotically simplistic gameplay, the whole package is just insultingly indie. Ghosts are added, perhaps as some sort of ham-fisted symbol of death, and the whole game revolves around eating flashing pellets, perhaps reflecting the creator's obsession with food.  Pac-Man himself controls like a sack of potatos, and the whole game seems destined to be played by those who have only played classic games through the use of emulators and save states.

Fine, if you're one of those insipid manchildren who prefer hamburgers to steak, Spec Ops to CAVE shooters, beer to wine, and Russell to Nietzsche, but for those of us who are adults, Pac-Man offers little.

0/10

???
  • It's just asking the wrong question to ask if it's "actually" a game. What good can that conversation bring?

Like, what other medium has to prove itself worthy of being in that medium?
  • edited 2014-06-19 23:34:05
    re: Touhou: As far as I know, the fan community generally doesn't show the endings. They aren't on the wiki, either.