The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

nobody i know takes 'weed culture' seriously

that includes the people who smoke it

it's just like a joke

Fake Rastas are... a thing. An iffy thing.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Tachyon said:

nobody i know takes 'weed culture' seriously

that includes the people who smoke it

it's just like a joke

Fake Rastas are... a thing. An iffy thing.
    i am aware of their existence, but i have never encountered one to my knowledge
    OK, stoner metal is a different matter.

Music conceived (but generally not played) under the influence tends to be pretty cool overall, lame jam bands aside. But the kind of culture that produces lame jam bands is of which I speak.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    You know what chaps my ass? That the music world is so much less buttoned-down than the world of TV or movies

You never hear of anyone who got stoned and then wrote a screenplay
    Pynchon wrote parts of GR on acid, so they say

because literature is cool
  • it is

degrees
    Anonus said:

You know what chaps my ass? That the music world is so much less buttoned-down than the world of TV or movies

Well, there is the old joke about 80's screenwriters and cocaine...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Xkcd is good when Randall can keep his techno-hipster tendencies down. Yes, you had a 1920x1200 display in 2003; good for you. :P
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Anonus said:

iiirc Harold Raimis and Dan Akroyd getting stoned is the cause of Ghostbusters.
    Odradek said:

Anonus said:

iiirc Harold Raimis and Dan Akroyd getting stoned is the cause of Ghostbusters.
    I can totally see that. I mean, the final monster turns a skyscraper into a giant s'more...
  • edited 2014-04-20 20:36:58
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm now wondering if it's possible to be weeaboo for a different region of your own country. I know something like that happens with the US, if California is any indication.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    My life dream is to go to Japan and join a sukeban gang.
    I'm already practicing my squating
    lee4hmz said:

I'm now wondering if it's possible to be weeaboo for a different region of your own country. I know something like that happens with the US, if California is any indication.

There a lot of people in Spain who are absolutely in love with Andalusia
    lee4hmz said:

might not be quite the same but you do get English people of dubious Scottish ancestry asserting their supposed origins and wearing kilts to prove it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I feel fucking weird this evening.

I don't even know why.

And I'm having a hard time describing it...
    Tachyon said:

lee4hmz said:

might not be quite the same but you do get English people of dubious Scottish ancestry asserting their supposed origins and wearing kilts to prove it
    I'm part-Scottish (un-dubiously) and I've never worn a kilt
    I'm watching Ashen's MLP blind bags episode. It is a symphony of destruction on par with the "Layla" sequence from GoodFellas.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I thought his MLP video was pretty funny, but I'm worried it's going to make the people in the comments even more obnoxious.
    I don't even bother reading the comments...usually. I took a peek in this time to see how many bronies didn't get the joke or understand the whole "not liking crap toys" thing...so far I've only seen one "YOU HAVE BROUGHT DISGRACE UPON THE FANDOM"-type screed.
    I know quite a few people have been disappointed by the official toys (I remember the whole "pink rarity" kerfuffle), and that the EG toys are just bad copies of Monster High dolls.
  • As someone who smokes weed, I sincerely hope whoever perpetuates and buys into weed culture dies a painful fiery death

So do you hope they die in

a blaze

B)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    the first sentence is the hardest part of writing anything
  • the first sentence is the hardest part of writing anything

Maybe an essay, but in my experience everything after the first page is the hardest part of writing a narrative.
    Honestly, it's not so much the bronies I'm worried about

It's more the people who foam at the mouth any time MLP is brought up and who left comments on nearly every one of his previous blindbag videos saying things like "why haven't you burned my little ponies yet? i can't wait to see the brony tears!!"
    those people
    MLP is no fun to talk about nowadays
    Kexruct said:

the first sentence is the hardest part of writing anything

Maybe an essay, but in my experience everything after the first page is the hardest part of writing a narrative.
    nah, first sentence is the hardest thing ever in anything.

harder than Lunatic Touhou
    it depends whether you keep going or not, i think

the hardest is when you're a few pages in and suddenly you get hit by that feeling that everything you wrote is shallow and crappy, and so are the authors who used to awe you or make you laugh or make you think or unsettle you or move you to tears, and then it feels like the entire medium of language is vacuous and useless and none of your ideas will ever sound good when you put them into words, and then you start to wonder whether they were even good ideas to begin with and the whole exercise seems futile
    ever feel like 'wow this writer is a genius, i could never, ever accomplish what he or she did?'

latest for me was Leonard Cohen

previous was Ted Hughes, whose writing now feels somehow hollow to me

this always happens

it hasn't happened to Cohen, but it will

Honestly, it's not so much the bronies I'm worried about

It's more the people who foam at the mouth any time MLP is brought up and who left comments on nearly every one of his previous blindbag videos saying things like "why haven't you burned my little ponies yet? i can't wait to see the brony tears!!"
    sometimes I worry that I am far more fervent a fan or a hater of anything than anyone else on this site

Tachyon said:

the hardest is when you're a few pages in and suddenly you get hit by that feeling that everything you wrote is shallow and crappy, and so are the authors who used to awe you or make you laugh or make you think or unsettle you or move you to tears, and then it feels like the entire medium of language is vacuous and useless and none of your ideas will ever sound good when you put them into words, and then you start to wonder whether they were even good ideas to begin with and the whole exercise seems futile

sometimes I think everything I like might secretly suck
  • edited 2014-04-20 21:46:09
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Reading Unwrapped Sky.

I cannot tell you how much of a relief it is to have a fantasy book gloss over sex scenes.

Fuckin' GRRM
  • Tachyon said:

ever feel like 'wow this writer is a genius, i could never, ever accomplish what he or she did?'

nope

but on the flipside, I am almost never wowed or awed by anything, and have a genuinely difficult time coming up with anything I'd consider "great" instead of just "good" or even "okay".

So I suppose I sort of have the opposite problem.
    Tachyon said:

nah, the first sentence is the hardest.
    well, i don't know what it would mean to secretly suck

what would that entail?

i'm talking about when you look at something that used to be real writing, real magic, and you find somehow all the magic's drained away leaving a lifeless collection of words and stylistic techniques
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-04-20 21:54:00
    some-body's a vain asshole

and it's not any one of you all
  • [raymanning intensifies]
  • Tre we have a thread for selfies.

I don't really care that much, but, y'know.
    Tachyon said:

well, i don't know what it would mean to secretly suck

what would that entail?

i'm talking about when you look at something that used to be real writing, real magic, and you find somehow all the magic's drained away leaving a lifeless collection of words and stylistic techniques

oh

well, my worries manifest in feelings that MLP:FIM is way overrated or that 101 is not worth watching

or that I shouldn't watch PPG because of certain questionable episodes (e.g. "Moral Decay" and "The Boys Are Back In Town") or R&B because of the Russian stereotypes