The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tre said:

oh no

oh god oh no

I'm hitting the apex of dorkery please help

...I kinda want to write Rayman fanfic

I think that recognising Dog Cop references already puts you at the apex of dorkery, which incidentally puts me somewhere in low earth orbit.
  • I actually do remember 101 Dalmatians: The Series from Toon Disney, tho

but fanfic is weird because I feel like I'm going to screw up and accidentally make something terrible (not to mention the whole stigma of being a fanfic writer)

I've already started and abandoned one, but nobody really gave a shit because it was based on Thrillville, which no longer has any fandom

OTOH, Rayman does, even if it is tiny
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Thrillville?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    How well do you remember 101?

I admit my interest in it kind of came out of nowhere in 2012...and of all the '90s cartoons, this one never comes up when people wax nostalgic
  • why not just remix a bunch of Rayman tunes instead

more productive and less likely to make you disappear from reality.
  • but generally I kind of want to explore how Globox and Ray became best friends

Even though the games have made their dynamic pretty clear, we've never seen any back story behind it. Glo (and a lot of the characters introduced in Rayman 2, I might add) kind of just gets dropped into the series out of nowhere, and it's not particularly an issue but the fact that the second game starts off with the two hugging it out when Glo wasn't even in the first one is kinda glaring.

It's a part of the series that, dare I say it, is dying to be explored, and I think Rayman Origins was going to do so before the story took a backseat during the game's development.
  • Anonus said:

How well do you remember 101?

I admit my interest in it kind of came out of nowhere in 2012...and of all the '90s cartoons, this one never comes up when people wax nostalgic
    Not to the point where I can name episodes, but it was a solid show when I was younger. I remember really liking the character designs (still do, in fact).

Thrillville?

Duo of video games for the PS2 where you ran a theme park. Think RollerCoaster Tycoon for kids.
  • I could criticize if I wanted to be pointlessly mean, but honestly I share a similar softspot for forgotten video game characters like Bubsy the Bobcat (though he is probably the most well-known unknown, if that makes any sense).
    101 does have a nice art style, but unfortunately the animation goes off-model a lot...
  • Oh, Bubsy, Bubsy, Bubsy. "What could possibly go wrong" indeed...

I always found Ristar to be kinda fascinating, m'self. Perhaps I might try that one out via emulation sometime.
    Ristar is included in Sonic Mega Collection but I haven't unlocked it...
  • My understanding is that Ristar is a decent game but not very much like the Sonic series at all.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-04-06 03:18:32
    Apparently the game is on Steam for fairly cheap, too. Hmm.

I might have to look into getting it.
  • My understanding is that Ristar is a decent game but not very much like the Sonic series at all.

(Disclaimer: Tre is not a Sonic fan)
  • you could also buy the "Sega Genesis Classics Pack" which is $7.50 and has like 50 games in it (including Ristar).

I don't know if there's a reason to pick up this over that though.
  • Tre said:

My understanding is that Ristar is a decent game but not very much like the Sonic series at all.

man, Sonic is like the only mascot platformer I like at all, and absolutely everyone seems to hate the series with a passion that burns brightly enough to attract The Emerald Herald.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-04-06 03:43:50
    I don't hate Sonic that much (or at all, really), but

1. I feel like the "gotta go fast" mentality isn't my style. A personal gripe, yes, but I can't help but feel like emphasizing speed over everything else makes it harder to enjoy the games than it should be.

2. The games ping-pong between "breezy" and "self-serious" far too much for their own good, and a series like Sonic doesn't work when everything is moody and dark. (Now, I'll be frank: Rayman 2 also kinda suffers from that, but any and all of the lasting seriousness in that series died with the release of R3, and the games since have been better for it.)

I'm not going to outright discredit the series, because there's obviously an appeal for it that many a player can appreciate and there's not a platformer out there that hasn't taken at least a smidge of inspiration from it (and that includes my beloved Rayman-- the latest games in particular are kind of a reimagined version of the 2D gameplay the original games and Mario pioneered). It's just not really my thing, and that's OK.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    I like Sonic's games, but don't care much for the characters. Robotnik is cool though
  • edited 2014-04-06 04:05:26
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I like Sonic too, but I admit the franchise's overly self-serious phase was a low-point...

Wasn't the early thinly-veiled environmentalism and the enslavement of wild animals dark enough, at least implicitly?
  • kill living beings
    jesus
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I remember Burgundy Queen once pitching a Roger Rabbit style game where the forgotten mascots of old like The Cheetahmen and Gex team up to fight the industry that abandoned them.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    TIL pretty much Sega's entire historical catalogue is available on Steam. Wow!
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Tre said:

My understanding is that Ristar is a decent game but not very much like the Sonic series at all.

man, Sonic is like the only mascot platformer I like at all, and absolutely everyone seems to hate the series with a passion that burns brightly enough to attract The Emerald Herald.

I really like the Sonic games.
  • edited 2014-04-06 12:18:58
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Ristar is a good game. Very colorful, and not much like Sonic, really. Although I like Sonic.

I think Ristar might've made more impact if it hadn't been released late in the Genesis' life-cycle, when people were already moving on to newer consoles.

A couple of Ristar backgrounds made it into Black Candles, YNTKT
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Ristarotto.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Bluh, I feel like a bad person

I told AU I'd call him last night, then I FELL ASLEEP instead

I hope he has time to talk on the phone tonight...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    From an article about Canonical shutting down Ubuntu's cloud storage service:
    One of the reasons I've remained with Ubuntu is Ubuntu One. Without a cloud offering, Ubuntu offers little more than any other Linux distribution outside of a desktop interface and package management system.
    ...Sigh.
    1865 MikoMayonegg the Ducker (level 8, 78/78 HPs)
    Began as a Troll Berserker on Apr 6, 2014.
    Was an Elder of Trog.
    Starved to death
    ... on Level 7 of the Dungeon.
    The game lasted 01:09:43 (6758 turns).
  • I'm so pissed off.

I was supposed to go out and get some stuff done today, the plan was that I'd tag along when my mom took my younger brothers back to their dad's place, and would get dropped off somewhere to do some homework online.

Buuuuuut for some reason she decided that because I've been sleeping too much (?) I don't get to go, so now I'm pissed off that I'm not going to get out of the house for the fourth fucking day in a row and I have no motivation to do the three units of Music homework that are due on the 9th.
  • edited 2014-04-06 14:58:03
    (flower path)
    Miko said:

TIL pretty much Sega's entire historical catalogue is available on Steam. Wow!

there's some nice stuff on Humble Store from 'em too.

also was Ubuntu One ever anything but kind of a shitty Dropbox ripoff?
    I just...

*sigh*

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Needs more fish.
  • the Gradius games are actually some of the only shmups I can beat.

Not easily, mind you, but I can do it if I'm persistent enough.
  • you know who is cute?

my boyfriend is cute
  • you know who is cute?

my boyfriend is cute
    that's hella
  • i should get rogue legacy at some point

after i pick up a controller that works

Needs more fish.

I haven't played Darius yet, maybe because I'm afraid of the zillion branching paths. >_>
  • i should get rogue legacy at some point

after i pick up a controller that works
    it works fine on keyboards.

There's a public demo (it's not on Steam, you'll have to google it) that lets you play one run if you want to test the controls out.
  • I maaaaaaaaaaay be getting compensated for my work for the first time ever in the near-ish future (like, within the year).
  • i just have a really hard time platforming with a keyboard for some reason

like, i just can't do it
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Me neither. I had to buy a gamepad for my computer so I could finish Cave Story.
  • Flash games have sharpened my skill in that area, though I do still prefer controllers

I'm honestly fine with either, though
  • Ever since Cave Story, keyboards haven't been a problem for me. 

Which reminds me, I still need to beat -Spoilers- in the plus version.
  • oh no

the weather is getting warm

that means that the neighbors will start partying again soon
  • Cave Story still scares me

Maybe I might try it again on my PC instead of on the PSP like last time but as it stands I won't be finishing my older save
  • perhaps it's kinda jerky to complain about them listening to music outside and being raucous

but they are very loud and they leave litter all about