The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My mom wants me to turn off the modem at midnight.

lol
  • Thompson has just been retreating further and further into the depths of his own little rabbit hole lately, hasn't he?

also "seeing people say Our Darker Purpose is a Binding of Isaac ripoff" is my new "seeing discussions about Macklemore".
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ A sign of such feebleness.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    tbh i kind of resent telling people what they can or can't talk about

like irl if other people were having a conversation i didn't like, i wouldn't go up to them and yell at them to shut up

or attempt to drown them out by playing loud music or whatever, i'd walk away
  • edited 2014-01-29 21:11:14
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i have no interest in talking about Macklemore but i mean generally, it seems like often here when someone's talking about something and someone else isn't interested, people will shitpost to try to get them to shut up

or go 'oh god who cares' or something to that effect

idk, just seems kinda rude
  • Thompson has just been retreating further and further into the depths of his own little rabbit hole lately, hasn't he?

also "seeing people say Our Darker Purpose is a Binding of Isaac ripoff" is my new "seeing discussions about Macklemore".

The Heist is a Binding Of Isaac ripoff
  • Tachyon said:

i have no interest in talking about Macklemore but i mean generally, it seems like often here when someone's talking about something and someone else isn't interested, people will shitpost to try to get them to shut up

Oh man thank you for saying this. 
  • idk, it think it's reasonable to not want to hear about a thing

tho there are better ways of dealing with it than spamming shitposts until it goes away
  • Well, generally I just shitpost for the hell of it, not because of any ill will toward anyone or what they have to say

If it appears that I've done so out of spite in the past, however, I am sorry
  • edited 2014-01-29 21:22:32
    ^^ but if you don't want to hear about a thing you don't have to read it

what i always liked about this site is there's no real topic and very little that's off-limits

^ i don't remember seeing you do it, but a lot of people here do
  • Tachyon said:

I do better than that

I just shitpost whenever
  • Tachyon said:

but if you don't want to hear about a thing you don't have to read it

well the thing is is like if you see something you can't like will yourself to not see it
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tachyon said:

That's because it is.

Tachyon said:

but if you don't want to hear about a thing you don't have to read it

well the thing is is like if you see something you can't like will yourself to not see it
    you can stop reading a post/discussion if it becomes obvious it's not something you want to read

if you read a short sentence or two that you're not interested in it's hardly the end of the world
  • Tachyon said:

tbh i kind of resent telling people what they can or can't talk about

like irl if other people were having a conversation i didn't like, i wouldn't go up to them and yell at them to shut up

or attempt to drown them out by playing loud music or whatever, i'd walk away

1. The internet is not IRL

2. I am not talking about a productive discussion, I'm talking about a room full of people circlejerking that this game is oh-so-clearly a ripoff of a better game and that the developers are horrible people who should cut themselves and die.

3. point 2 is not happening here so I don't even understand how this came up.
  • edited 2014-01-29 21:31:33
    @ Burgundy Queen: i'm not talking about that, you just reminded me of something that happens a lot here

and, well, you are one of the ones who does it

i know the Internet isn't IRL, but i don't see why that should give anyone the right to shut down a conversation they aren't themselves part of
  • Tachyon said:

i'm not talking about that, you just reminded me of something that happens a lot here

i know the Internet isn't IRL, but i don't see why that should give anyone the right to shut down a conversation they aren't themselves part of

There is a point where a discussion occurs enough times that having it again is essentially the same as spamming.
    You know what the best way around this would be? If we had a shitpost-free discussion thread (I made one a couple of years ago, but elected not to bump it because the early pages of it were too full of TV Tropes and that would have brought back bad memories for too many people)...
  • Anonus said:

You know what the best way around this would be? If we had a shitpost-free discussion thread (I made one a couple of years ago, but elected not to bump it because the early pages of it were too full of TV Tropes and that would have brought back bad memories for too many people)...

Isn't that what the Talk category is for?
  • Anonus said:

it'd get like runed in 5 seconds by the anti-srs brigade

There is a point where a discussion occurs enough times that having it again is essentially the same as spamming.

well, maybe, but often it feels like people are getting tired of something they read off-site, and not everyone reads the same websites
  • 30% Less homicidal kittens.
  • I'm definitely not opposed to serious discussions here but certain kinds of discussions just only have so much ground to cover before they become redundant, and no one likes redundancy. It's boring.
  • edited 2014-01-29 21:36:30
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ^^^^^Yes, but this forum has a tendency to prefer disorganized conversation centralized in big threads. So I figured that was the best option for random, preferably conversations...

^^^^The anti-srs brigade has this thread and the whole General category...
  • Anonus said:

The anti-srs brigade has this thread and the whole General category...
    do you really think that will stop them?

has that stopped them before?
  • Anonus said:

^^^^^Yes, but this forum has a tendency to prefer disorganized conversation centralized in big threads. So I figured that was the best option for random, preferably conversations...

If you want to create such a thread, then by all means. I just think it won't see much use.
  • Tachyon said:

i'm not talking about that, you just reminded me of something that happens a lot here

Funny thing is that I have this same feeling when people keep on mentioning pretty much any particularly popular thing repeatedly in a general chat environment.  Be it Attack on Titan, or DayZ, or Pacific Rim, or whatever.

I think I share some of that resentment, which might be one small reason why I don't get into popular stuff.

Funny thing is that I have this same feeling when people keep on mentioning pretty much any particularly popular thing repeatedly in a general chat environment.  Be it Attack on Titan, or DayZ, or Pacific Rim, or whatever.

I think I share some of that resentment, which might be one small reason why I don't get into popular stuff.

one of the things i particularly like about this site is that for the most part nobody seems to mind if you have a particular interest that you bring up a lot

Anonus said:

The anti-srs brigade has this thread and the whole General category...
    do you really think that will stop them?

has that stopped them before?
    If they insist on ruining this shitpost-free discussion thread, then they'll get Probated.
  • Tachyon said:

one of the things i particularly like about this site is that for the most part nobody seems to mind if you have a particular interest that you bring up a lot
    Probably because we all have a apticular interest that you bring up a lot.

It's like a drug-dealer buying from another dealer, they both know the scoop, and the hoops, but they're not shooting baskets.

They're trading dope.
  • Tachyon said:

That's not really what I'm talking about,

Like, to swipe your example, having discussions about Attack on Titan is different than having discussions about things that happen in Attack on Titan.

The former is "is Attack on Titan overrated? Y/N, please explain your reasoning." And tends to get responses like "Attack on Titan is THE BEST SHOW ON CRUNCHYROLL OMG" or "Attack on Titan is stupid and you're stupid for liking it". Not exactly the most productive, compelling, or even entertaining thing to read.

The latter is "whoa The Monkey Titan is so weird & creepy I wonder how they're gonna explain this one." Which leads to a more diverse range of responses like other reactions to it, theories about what it is, etc. etc. etc.

The problem this site has is that I feel like there are not many shared interests amongst its members, and as such the latter kind of discussion is difficult to have, which leads to a lot of the former. eg, me complaining about Drake, for example.
  • Tachyon said:

I actually am sometimes annoyed by this I just don't say anything because I feel like it'd be rude and contrary to one of the reasons the site exists.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    literature
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-01-29 21:48:33
    re: interests we bring up a lot: one of the reasons I abandoned the whole Rayman thing until recently was because I felt like it was somewhat alienating (hence why I tuned it out)

I don't think I'm going to outright hide it anymore, but still, I think it'd probably do well to show at least a bit more restraint
  • So I've been rewatching Doctor Who, technically watching it for the first time.

And by watching it for the first time, I of course mean the fresh fresher series starting at the ninth doctor.

Anyways, I watched the episode Dalek, where the Dalek changed and pretty much everyone agreed that the Dalek's decision to kill itself was the only one that existed.

This bugged me a lot, but I can't exactly formulate into words the exact reasons why it did.

So I've been rewatching Doctor Who, technically watching it for the first time.

And by watching it for the first time, I of course mean the fresh fresher series starting at the ninth doctor.

Anyways, I watched the episode Dalek, where the Dalek changed and pretty much everyone agreed that the Dalek's decision to kill itself was the only one that existed.

This bugged me a lot, but I can't exactly formulate into words the exact reasons why it did.

Rose didn't want it to kill itself.

The problem is a Dalek absolutely hates anything that isn't Dalek.  It didn't matter what anyone else thought; it despised itself.
  • as far as everyone else's interests go, though, I like that a lot!

nothing's better than letting your love for stuff show and be heard, and the least I think I can do is listen, even if I'm not particularly great at responding

and hey, I've actually gotten into a good portion of stuff I adore because of you guys, so there's that
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

I giggled
  • so that probably means y'all consider me annoying that i never talk about like current anime series but just go on about the few series that i've seen (occasionally adding a new one)?

I actually am sometimes annoyed by this I just don't say anything because I feel like it'd be rude and contrary to one of the reasons the site exists.

but like

there's a whole internet where people will be judgemental about you for talking about stuff you like, and innumerable forums dedicated to discussing specific things

so that probably means y'all consider me annoying that i never talk about like current anime series but just go on about the few series that i've seen (occasionally adding a new one)?

i don't find that annoying
  • or at least you probably do, burgundy/mojave/[insert future name here, so this post is applicable for posterity]
    i haven't seen many anime, in any case, although i have seen some recent series
  • Tachyon said:

but like

there's a whole internet where people will be judgemental about you for talking about stuff you like, and innumerable forums dedicated to discussing specific things
    I'm aware of that.

I just have a very short attention span and get bored of most things very quickly.