The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• As for myself, i thought Yeezus was a pleasant change of pace for pop music. As such i found people's not liking it in general to be kind of disappointing, regardless of it's not being like overly revolutionary or anything...
  • edited 2013-12-10 21:47:40
    Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    /pol/ is the funniest board except when they are trying to be funny
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

As for Yeezus, there are plenty of people who thought it terribly half-assed.
    well i know that, but it isn't really what i was talking about.
    Yeah, true.

It's definitely dirtier-sounding than most pop-inflected rap, but it's not particularly avant-garde to my ears, either.
  • edited 2013-12-10 21:50:19

man i don't care if it's actually avant-garde or not

i just want more fun music to exist

I do not disagree with this sentiment.

Fun and innovative is a nice combo, though.
  • edited 2013-12-10 21:53:01
    Quick question:

What genre and subgenre terms would you use to describe this song: watch?v=pJvQYje9mOA
  • My dreams exceed my real life

• As for myself, i thought Yeezus was a pleasant change of pace for pop music. As such i found people's not liking it in general to be kind of disappointing, regardless of it's not being like overly revolutionary or anything...

I really wouldn't call it fun.

If I want rap with industrial-influenced production that is also fun to listen to I'll listen to Run the Jewels, which is a strong contender for AOTY in my opinion.
  • edited 2013-12-10 21:55:12
    And after you've done my last post, what genre and subgenre terms would you use to describe this song: watch?v=HfGXyCVI57Y
  • speaking of Run The Jewels, "Banana Clipper" reminds me that OutKast is reuniting next year.
  • Quick question:

What genre and subgenre terms would you use to describe this song: watch?v=pJvQYje9mOA

it's vocal trance but with guitars and fake orchestral sections for some reason

japan seems inordinately fond of that combination, there are some actual bands there who make music kind of like that but they escape me at this moment
  • And after you've done my last post, what genre and subgenre terms would you use to describe this song: watch?v=HfGXyCVI57Y

You're not even gonna like, make them links?
    On the edge of oblivion 
    All the world is Babylon 
    And all the love and everyone 
    A ship of fools sailing on 

This lyric doesn't seem to fit in the song.
  • rap with industrial-influenced production

Run the Jewels

eh?
  • also i'm p sure i have listened to run the jewels like 50 times

it is fun
  • edited 2013-12-10 22:01:26
    Pangur Bán: I thought "trance" was much more repetitive than that...am I wrong about this, or does "vocal trance" imply a full-fledged song rather than an ostinato (repeated) figuration?

Mojave Music: well i didn't link the first one because I didn't want to generate more inbound links that might help get it takedown'd, and then I didn't link the second one because it just seemed fair.
    Hey! Chingedy ching,
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
    It's Dominick the donkey.
    Chingedy ching,
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
    The Italian Christmas donkey.
    (la la la-la la-la la la la la)
    (la la la-la la-la la-ee-oh-da)
    Santa's got a little friend,
    His name is Dominick.
    The cutest little donkey,
    You never see him kick.
    When Santa visits his paisons,
    With Dominick he'll be.
    Because the reindeer cannot,
    Climb the hills of Italy. 

Hey! Chingedy ching,
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
    Chingedy ching,
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
    Jingle bells around his feet,
    And presents on the sled.
    Hey! Look at the mayor's derby,
    On top of Dominick's head.
    A pair of shoes for Louie,
    And a dress for Josephine.
    The labels on the inside says,
    They're made in Brooklyn.

Hey! Chingedy ching,
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
    Chingedy ching,
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)

Children sing, and clap their hands,
    And Dominick starts to dance.
    They talk Italian to him,
    And he even understands. 

Cumpare sing,
    Cumpare su,
    And dance 'sta tarantel.
    When jusamagora comes to town,
    And brings du ciuccianello. 

Hey! Chingedy ching,
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
    Chingedy ching,
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)

Hey! Dominick! Buon Natale!
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
    (hee-haw, hee-haw)
  • Ideally, I'd just be giving you music samples, with no text or anything attached.  In fact, ideally, I'd just be giving you music samples with nonsense syllables sung to the words, so as to limit the number of confounding variables.

I am pretty sure I have some genre terms wrong in my head, and I'm trying to figure out what the right terms are, but without biasing an answer.
  • edited 2013-12-10 22:06:35
    Like that first song whose link I didn't post.  When I first heard it I called it "demonic pop", due to it having a standard melody-centric texture and song form (pop), but also featuring metal influences, lots of low notes, driving rhythms, and suggestions of phrygian mode in a minor key (the "demonic" bit).

I am probably using the term "pop" wrong, and I never thought to include "trance".

I guess it does share instrumentation with the trance I've run across.  Maybe genres are much more instrumentation-dependent than I originally thought.
  • Mojave Music: well i didn't link the first one because I didn't want to generate more inbound links that might help get it takedown'd, and then I didn't link the second one because it just seemed fair.

what

rap with industrial-influenced production

Run the Jewels

eh?
    El-P has previously cited Industrial music as an influence on his production.

I don't listen to enough to know firsthand whether or not they sound similar but I don't see any reason to doubt him.

Like that first song whose link I didn't post.  When I first heard it I called it "demonic pop".

That sounds like something a marketer would come up with to describe some boring indie act or another.
  • vocal trance is trance w/ vocals, almost always female, and usually less of a dance-floor focus i.e. they tend to be "songs" more often than "tracks"

p much the only trance-like thing with that track is the beat and the bassline, they've done away with most everything else that usually goes into a trance song to fit in the orchestration, the guitar, vox ect. but due to any other clear focus vocal trance was the only categorization i felt comfortable giving it.
  • that said it's defs a step up from normal trance as trance is an utter garbage genre
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    not a big Pantera fan, but I wouldn't say I hate 'em or anything

Say, did you read the obituary last week for the French general who blew the lid off of torture and other atrocities the French committed in Algeria? In unrelated news, here’s a zany cartoon!

• that said it's defs a step up from normal trance as trance is an utter garbage genre

I don't get why everyone hates trance.

It's repetitive as hell certainly but so is Techno.
  • edited 2013-12-10 22:10:31
    @ Mojave Music: (repost b/c ninja edit)

When I first heard it I called it "demonic pop", due to it having a standard melody-centric texture and song form (pop), but also featuring metal influences, lots of low notes, driving rhythms, and suggestions of phrygian mode in a minor key (the "demonic" bit).

I am probably using the term "pop" wrong, and I never thought to include "trance".

I guess it does share instrumentation with the trance I've run across.  Maybe genres are much more instrumentation-dependent than I originally thought?

Note: Pangur Ban replied and said it's not the instrumentation but the rhythm...but I also thought that trance usually features regular rhythms rather than highly "jagged" syncopated rhythms...

@ Pangur Bán: so what is trance, usually?  Like, what are its characteristic features?
  • @ Mojave Music: (repost b/c ninja edit)

When I first heard it I called it "demonic pop", due to it having a standard melody-centric texture and song form (pop), but also featuring metal influences, lots of low notes, driving rhythms, and suggestions of phrygian mode in a minor key (the "demonic" bit).

I guess it does share instrumentation with the trance I've run across.  Maybe genres are much more instrumentation-dependent than I originally thought?

I have no idea what half of this means so I'll just take your word for it.

"Pop" is either music that is popular currently or music that emulates popular music styles of the past. It's a nebulous term.

I am pretty sure no one has ever called anything "demonic pop", except again, maybe marketers.
  • Repetitiveness isn't a problem,

trance's problems are the cheesy melodies, crap sound design, endless focus on huge emotive breakdowns and utter lack of subtlety.
  • cheesy melodies

what does this even mean?

what makes a melody cheesy?

that is just such a ????? criticism.
  • actually I think I might call Kerli demonic pop (again, if I were a marketer).

• edited 2013-12-10 22:24:18
    > utter lack of subtlety

HOLY SHIT this describes an obnoxiously frequent problem in J-pop.  I WISH they would stop throwing in an extra instrument for every little flourish and every dramatic moment and stuff.

Re trance

I actually meant, what are trance's typical defining features.  I guess repetitiveness is one, as are the cheesy melodies.  Not sure I've listened to enough trance to recognize "crap sound design" or know what you mean by emotive breakdowns -- is that when you have the backing beat just go faster and faster to build up to a climax?

Re "demonic pop"

I used that term mostly because the features I cited (metal influences, low bass notes, phrygian tonicization) gave the song a darker tinge, and coupled with the aggressiveness of the song as a whole, made it sound "demonic" in a way.  (The typical accompanying visuals -- what appear to be sculptural depictions of shells of human bodies -- does help, admittedly.)

That said, this specific term is totally something I made up to describe the song.  Which is why I said, I don't actually know my genre names.

----

Anyway, what genre/subgenre labels would you give this song? (reposting the second one)

• edited 2013-12-10 22:24:10

so what is trance, usually?  Like, what are its characteristic features?
    trance has a kick on every downbeat with a very simple bassline hitting between the kicks. on top of that you usually have a pad sound playing some chords, and a melody that repeats throughout forming a hook.

cheesy melodies

Typical, overused, overly dramatic "isn't this awesome?" progression played with a similarly tired, silly instrumental timbre. Y'know, cheesy. It's not a totally objective criterion, but it is a thing that exists.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Pangur, you have watched Beyond the Boundary, correct?

• cheesy melodies

Typical, overused, overly dramatic "isn't this awesome?" progression played with a similarly tired, silly instrumental timbre. Y'know, cheesy. It's not a totally objective criterion, but it is a thing that exists.
    *shrug*

The only trance thing I listen to at all really is Sphongle, so maybe it's just different with psytrance/whatever you wanna call it.

Also the occasional Groove Coverage song but they have some stuff I hate too.
  • a similarly tired, silly instrumental timbre.
    the timbre in this case being the fucking supersaw

I like cheesiness, sometimes
  • Crystal said:

Pangur, you have watched Beyond the Boundary, correct?

nope
  • Man, I really really like Portal. I still need to play the second.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Darn, must just be remembering you mentioning it offhand then, and/or mixing you up with someone else. Well all right.
  • Yeah, I like cheesiness, but only when it's not cheesy.

Well, put it this way: the reason things are cheesy is because someone at some point figured out the basic essence of some music that's really catchy or emotionally meaningful.  Such as one very salient chord progression or melodic motif.  And then that person decided to exploit it by using it a lot.  Other people saw the result, enjoyed it, and decided to repeat it.  And then you have an oversaturation of "meaning".

The proper thing is to know how to pace such moments properly so that you don't have far too many in a single song, and the ones you do have are properly placed so they make sense in the song's overall narrative.

that thing has the most dissonant name compared to what it actually sounds like.

also it sounds like a timestretched sample of a Tangerine Dream song. Even though it's not.
    Kexruct said:

Man, I really really like Portal. I still need to play the second.

a lot of people (myself included) consider Portal 2 to be a lot better than the first game. I recommend it.
  • About to watch Pacific Rim again. Not sure how much excitement I can handle at this time of night.
  • What's the meaning of each of these terms, and how are they distinct from each other:

techno, trance, house, dance, electronica, eurobeat

that thing has the most dissonant name compared to what it actually sounds like.
    Kexruct said:

Man, I really really like Portal. I still need to play the second.

a lot of people (myself included) consider Portal 2 to be a lot better than the first game. I recommend it.
    I'm well aware. Although I do have a soft spot for bleak, minimalistic(ish) games. It's part of the reason why I still don't know if I like 999 or VLR more, but only Odradek and Fossil will understand The Struggle.
  • What's the meaning of each of these terms, and how are they distinct from each other:

techno, trance, house, dance, electronica, eurobeat

techno, trance, and house are three different musical genres that all sound fairly different from each other.

electronica and eurobeat are both umbrella terms (the three genres prior listed fall under the "electronica" umbrella but not necessarily the eurobeat one)

"dance" is both an act and what people who don't listen to any electronic music call electronic music.
    your mom's favorite thrash metal album
    headbanging Patchouli