The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Fair enough, I don't remember Devil Doll that well.

I like high-concept movies with a small budged though.
    It is, however, better than Black Devil Doll From Hell.
  • mike wazowski/olaf mpreg
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

Aliroz said:

So

Suffering = bad

Pleasure = good

lack of suffering = good

lack of pleasure = not bad

Wait...

I think I see the problem here.
    Internet antinatalists like to stack the deck here by denying the existence of pleasure.
    Internet anti-natalists are dumb. I can respect that people like Benetar or, hell, Ligotti have thought this stuff through even if I disagree with the basic premise, but it seems that so many of their adherents are just trying to justify being grumpy, boring and self-absorbed.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    olaf and klaus
    peter capaldi's book of swears
  • edited 2013-11-22 17:25:50
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Wait a minute, "Mongoloid" is now an insult?

Explain, heapers.

Also, I'mma get a time machine and save Baghdad and Kievan Rus from the Mongols.
    roars
  • edited 2013-11-22 17:26:51
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Odradek said:

hehe aww :)
    Pillows said:

and I made this Mario fangame name of Black Candles does anyone want to play it besides Miko

i do!
    Odradek said:

http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/life-why-bother/

I'm surprised no one ever got up in arms about this.
    i don't agree with this article's conclusions regarding religion

for one, while i don't think it makes sense to consider "potential people" as experiencing deprivation, i don't agree that pleasure is merely the absence of suffering.  pleasure is, or may at least be regarded as, an end in itself

furthermore it may be that eternal bliss is, if not fundamentally different, then at least both quantatively and qualitatively different from life's pleasures, in which case Benatar's argument simply isn't applicable to a religious worldview
  • I believe "Mongol" is like, a really old-timey slur for Germans.

I have not heard it ever used in that context in the modern day though.
  • Tachyon said:

furthermore it may be that eternal bliss is, if not fundamentally different, then at least both quantatively and qualitatively different from life's pleasures, in which case Benatar's argument simply isn't applicable to a religious worldview

another case of "let me define this for you so I can tell you you're defining it wrong".
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Aliroz said:

Wait a minute, "Mongoloid" is now an insult?

Explain, heapers.

Also, I'mma get a time machine and save Baghdad and Kievan Rus from the Mongols.
    Mongoloid is a (formerly clinical, but now outdated and extremely un-PC) term for a person with Down's syndrome

Tachyon said:

another case of "let me define this for you so I can tell you you're defining it wrong".
    i don't follow you

who are you talking about?  me, the religious, Benatar, Southan?
  • Tachyon said:

Tachyon said:

i don't follow you

who are you talking about?  me, the religious, Benatar, Southan?
    whoever wrote the thing you're talking about.

what's this about Pat Benatar?
    "Mongoloid" as an ethnic term is also associated with scientific racism, btw
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    So, yeah, looking up the Mongols on Cracked.com (I'd forgotten why I hated that site after a year and a half)

and came across this in the comments section:

Kill74: of all the terrible, terrible, excuses for philosophies that we call religion, islam is by far the worst. if you don't believe me google "dar al islam dar al harb" and you'll find articles by accredited sociologists pointing out how, for all the muslims' claims of searching for peace, the religion of islam (which I refuse to capitalize for a reason) is based on an ideal of "convert or kill" I say all other faiths, or lack thereofs nut up, band together, and raze mecca to the f**king ground.
  • You know what people say about never reading Youtube comments?

That applies times 90 for any site that has articles. At all.

whoever wrote the thing you're talking about.

what's this about Pat Benatar?

oh, Southan then

i meant David Benatar, pessimistic philosopher and antinatalist icon

I believe "Mongol" is like, a really old-timey slur for Germans.

"Mongoloid" is a really dated term for people with Down's syndrome. In that context, it's pretty offensive, although when used in physical anthropology it's pretty neutral: It just means "possessing a skull shape indicative of Mongol peoples."

"Hun" is the anti-German slur.
  • I believe "Mongol" is like, a really old-timey slur for Germans.

"Mongoloid" is a really dated term for people with Down's syndrome. In that context, it's pretty offensive, although when used in physical anthropology it's pretty neutral: It just means "possessing a skull shape indicative of Mongol peoples."

"Hun" is the anti-German slur.
    ah.

You know what people say about never reading Youtube comments?

That applies times 90 for any site that has articles. At all.

and multiply that by 90 again if the site happens to be Cracked, or any similar site
  • i have contacted asus tech support
    Youtube comments and any comments section on the internet are the worst.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

i have contacted asus tech support

good luck

Aliroz said:

So

Suffering = bad

Pleasure = good

lack of suffering = good

lack of pleasure = not bad

Wait...

I think I see the problem here.

Internet antinatalists like to stack the deck here by denying the existence of pleasure.
    Internet anti-natalists are dumb. I can respect that people like Benetar or, hell, Ligotti have thought this stuff through even if I disagree with the basic premise, but it seems that so many of their adherents are just trying to justify being grumpy, boring and self-absorbed.

Which is funny, because of how often opponents get accused of being egotists.
    Technically, the origins of Islam were pretty militant, but not because the religion itself is militant so much as because Muhammad ended up being a kind of great unifier of the tribes of the Arabian Peninsula, and consequently a temporal ruler just as much as he was a religious leader. The notion that the tenets of Islam themselves are any more violent than any other is pretty absurd.
    you know i didn't know about Pat Benatar before seeing people making jokes about her with reference to antinatalism

i remember the first time Odradek said something like 'why are antinatalists all obsessed with Pat Benatar?', it went right over my head

because i'd forgotten David Benatar's first name, and i didn't know who Pat Benatar was
  • i am pretty sure that any argument for pleasure being illusory could be applied to suffering as well
    My tolerance of extreme pessimism is dependent entirely on whether one can get the joke.

Samuel Beckett, Kafka, and Bataille do, Lars Von Trier and internet antinatalists do not.
  • People who take themselves too seriously are the worst kind of people.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

you know i didn't know about Pat Benatar before seeing people making jokes about her with reference to antinatalism

i remember the first time Odradek said something like 'why are antinatalists all obsessed with Pat Benatar?', it went right over my head

because i'd forgotten David Benatar's first name, and i didn't know who Pat Benatar was

sounds like they hit you with their best shot

i am pretty sure that any argument for pleasure being illusory could be applied to suffering as well

It's intuitive to people with depression.

Well I guess.

It never seemed intuitive to me during my depressive period, and my uncle who's struggled with depression came up with the same come back when I told him about it.
    Odradek said:

My tolerance of extreme pessimism is dependent entirely on whether one can get the joke.

Samuel Beckett, Kafka, and Bataille do, Lars Von Trier and internet antinatalists do not.
    Absolutely. The absence of a sense of humour about the situation, however morbid, is a bit of a deal-breaker.

i am pretty sure that any argument for pleasure being illusory could be applied to suffering as well

Probably.

I would say that there are good arguments for life being a good or bad thing that cannot be countered thus, but when you get into "X is an illusion" territory...
  • edited 2013-11-22 17:45:57
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Beckett is funny

sometimes
    (2015 self)
    One trillion gigabytes is a zetabyte.

Why do we even have a word for such informaion.

I mean, a gigabyte is like a huge huge huge game that makes your computer run extremely slow and makes you have to uninstall everything except your basic computer functions and the game.
    Like, there's a book that's literally about a murderer in an eternally repeating hell, and it's pretty funny.

Saying which book would be a spoiler.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I know which one
    Kafka can be very funny and very disturbing, occasionally at the same time. Take "A Country Doctor". The situation that transpires is fundamentally horrific, and yet in equal measure incredibly silly and frequently slapstick in a ghoulish way.
    Pillows said:

I know which one

I felt like the protagonist of the book was a harsh parody of myself, which made me like it more.
    Tachyon said:

Pillows said:

and I made this Mario fangame name of Black Candles does anyone want to play it besides Miko

i do!
    Well then wait'll you see the BLACKENED EDITION
    Odradek said:

Pillows said:

I know which one

I felt like the protagonist of the book was a harsh parody of myself, which made me like it more.
    Is it bad I kinda liked him?
  • I mean they're feelings. Feelings are purely objects of the mind. An illusion is a thing that is solely an object of the mind. So, saying that a feeling is illusory is useless, as there is no way for them to be anything other than illusory.

Also I don't understand how pleasure or suffering being illusory is supposed to be a mark against them? because if things that are solely mental constructs are irrelevant, than shouldn't all thought be so?
    Pillows said:

Odradek said:

Pillows said:

I know which one

Nah.
    (2015 self)
    Pillows said:

Beckett is funny

sometimes

It's a'Becket, and his first name is Thomas.
    Nah, his first name was Sam.

I mean they're feelings. Feelings are purely objects of the mind. An illusion is a thing that is solely an object of the mind. So, saying that a feeling is illusory is useless, as there is no way for them to be anything other than illusory.

Also I don't understand how pleasure or suffering being illusory is supposed to be a mark against them? because if things that are solely mental constructs are irrelevant, than shouldn't all thought be so?
    but i think to myself whats the meaning of happiness? feeling doesnt exist, you should realize that humans don't really feel anything any feeling you have is a chemical in your mind sending off "happy" or "sad". 

That beauty is just how pleasing the things you see are, there isn't a delusional idea that people really "feel" or "love" Love is just a chemical in your brain. Its not a "truly moving, fascinating, deep, wonderful experience".it to you, but there isn't anything magical going on. No need to be delusional. They're just neurons. all pleasures are just hormones, happiness is just hormones, why living because of chemical thing???? why to be so attached to life if all is just chemical???
    I remember having to explain to my parents what a terabyte was

Because, at the time, it seemed like an obscenely and impossibly large amount of storage space
    Pillows said:

Odradek said:

Pillows said:

I know which one

What book is this.

I mean they're feelings. Feelings are purely objects of the mind. An illusion is a thing that is solely an object of the mind. So, saying that a feeling is illusory is useless, as there is no way for them to be anything other than illusory.

True.

Honestly, the biggest mark I can think of against organic life has nothing to do with emotion or even sensations exactly, but what it requires to exist.
    "What book is this."

The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien
    Confession: It's 2013 and I still don't own a 1 TB hard drive

I'm too fucking poor >_>