Comments

• The sadness will last forever.
    well i need to fix my pages but here's too many videos :/
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the lakitus are throwing lakitus
    babies throwing babies
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Lakitu: The most overused romhack enemy of all time.
    that's cuz he's a badass
  • Ghouls and Ghosts and Ghoblins originated from Ghackers who Ghoti'd
    white knighting the zombies
    charles manson making music is really weird
    seriously
    Go Ghoti.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Go Ghoti.

I was reading that book!

Gh from Laugh, o from women, and ti from motion.

Gh-o-ti

fish!
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    "The Medveds evolved into Mystery Science Theater 3000. Rather than giving Hollywood, with its plethora of big budget, generic excrement, what it deserved, the MST3K production team, erroneously imagining themselves hip, picked easy targets in low budget indie films. Naturally, Ed Wood was a frequent focus. The do-nothing couch potato geeks made the show a hit. It was their sole shot at superiority."

366 Weird movies is a good blog, but man Alfred Eaker is irritating.
    I'm like, hey, an essay on Plan 9, this'll be interesting, but nope, you have to take paranoid potshots at people who don't enjoy the movie the way YOU enjoy it Alfred.
    taking things too seriously
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

shitlordery

Lord of Shit.

Strong class, weak aspect.
    Pillows said:

Am I?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

"The Medveds evolved into Mystery Science Theater 3000. Rather than giving Hollywood, with its plethora of big budget, generic excrement, what it deserved, the MST3K production team, erroneously imagining themselves hip, picked easy targets in low budget indie films. Naturally, Ed Wood was a frequent focus. The do-nothing couch potato geeks made the show a hit. It was their sole shot at superiority."

*sigh*

We do not bust our asses and spend billions of dollars on this shit to be given "what we deserve"

What we deserve is, to me, more MONEY
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Mildly amusing thing: A local BMW dealership uses a Mercedes-Benz van.
    Odradek said:

Pillows said:

Am I?
    Perhaps not, but this Alfred whoever is

I would disagree... slightly. Eaker is not irritating in general, but his opinions on things like this are.

Also, I still don't really know what he was doing with W: The Movie.
    Anton LaVey playing circus music with the piano. It exists.
    Kid in an Adventure Time hoodie walking around out here. It has little ears. It is awesome. I complemented him on it, but he just kind of looked at me oddly.
    Final Fantasy XIII-3 ending spoilers: Lightning is God. As in literally, Creator Of The Earth. She goes to France. I wish I was making this up.
    Also kind of biting the hand, because if you're doing a blog of weird movies on the internet, a fair share of your audience is gonna be do-nothing couch potato geeks.

Final Fantasy XIII-3 ending spoilers: Lightning is God. As in literally, Creator Of The Earth. She goes to France. I wish I was making this up.

On the other hand, you played Final Fantasy XIII-3

Who is the joke really on?
  • edited 2013-11-22 16:48:27
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    No I haven't. I don't speak good enough Japanese. :P
    Weird media is my life
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Rather than giving Hollywood, with its plethora of big budget, generic excrement, what it deserved, the MST3K production team, erroneously imagining themselves hip, picked easy targets in low budget indie films.

I'm sure the fact that low-budget indie films were the only ones they could afford the rights to, had nothing to do with that decision. It's not like the head writer of MST3K, after the show was cancelled a second time, went on to record derisive commentary tracks for big-budget Hollywood films, after all.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Is it wrong that I find it bleakly amusing that KTMA is now owned by Sinclair?
    MetaFour said:

Odradek said:

Rather than giving Hollywood, with its plethora of big budget, generic excrement, what it deserved, the MST3K production team, erroneously imagining themselves hip, picked easy targets in low budget indie films.

I'm sure the fact that low-budget indie films were the only ones they could afford the rights to, had nothing to do with that decision. It's not like the head writer of MST3K, after the show was cancelled a second time, went on to record derisive commentary tracks for big-budget Hollywood films, after all.
    This is correct.

Someone should probably tell Eaker this. Or at least try valiantly.
    http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/life-why-bother/

I'm surprised no one ever got up in arms about this.
    zuzu
    "life-why-bother"

I thought we were done with the antinatalists
    Speaking of MST3K, I'd like to say that I consider Girl From Lover's Lane, Jack Frost, The Mole People, The Leech Woman, Devil Doll, and SoulTaker to be good movies. Also The Magic Voyage of Sinbad is apparently a poorly-edited and dubbed version of a fairly good Russian fantasy movie. Also I am in the minority here very much, but I think Red Zone Cuba, is, from a meta-perspective, an interesting film and wouldn't be too out of place in the arthouse circuit.
    naming a kid satan because of satanism
    naming a kid jesus because you're mexican
    Teenagers From Outer Space
    Odradek said:

http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/life-why-bother/

I'm surprised no one ever got up in arms about this.
    I really like this article.
    Pillows said:

"life-why-bother"

I thought we were done with the antinatalists

It's a lot cleverer than that. Seriously, read it.
    life is dumb
    (2015 self)
    On the one hand, I grew up reading the Mongolian view on Genghis Khan; and that has really colored my perception of him.  Also, Subutai and Jebe are two of my favorite historical figures.

But on the other hand, I know it was Subutai and Jebe who destroyed the Kievan Rus; which is one of my favorite civilizations ever; and that destruction is one of the History's great losses. 

It's like when Edward The Confessor kicks out the line of Canute from the throne of England, and I'm like; you're both awesome, why can't there be room for you both?
    animal noises as music
    "Benatar anticipates this objection with the book’s other main argument: Life is a lot worse than we realize. But assuming that’s true, the stakes remain low. After all, if existence is so unfortunate, it’s at least a travesty with an out: death. If we grant to Benatar that, “the quality of even the best lives is very bad,” existence is like a prison with no locks, protected by unarmed guards who can plead with us to stay but cannot block the exits. We the prisoners may fear what the outside holds for us, and we may not want to hurt the guards by abandoning them, but if we decide we would be better off leaving, we’re free to go. And no matter what we decide, we’re all released before too long." 

Incidentally, I disagree with this bit, except for the last sentence. I've seen some people who are really desperate to die who are still alive because suicide is a lot harder than it sounds, considering the difficulty of extreme self-harm, strong social structures in place to prevent suicide, and just plain fear.
    (2015 self)
    So

Suffering = bad

Pleasure = good

lack of suffering = good

lack of pleasure = not bad

Wait...

I think I see the problem here.
    There is also an important distinction to be made between not wanting to live any more or even be dead and wanting to die, and another between wanting to die and wanting to kill oneself.

But that is another conversation.
    Aliroz said:

So

Suffering = bad

Pleasure = good

lack of suffering = good

lack of pleasure = not bad

Wait...

I think I see the problem here.
    Internet antinatalists like to stack the deck here by denying the existence of pleasure.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Odradek said:

Speaking of MST3K, I'd like to say that I consider Girl From Lover's Lane, Jack Frost, The Mole People, The Leech Woman, Devil Doll, and SoulTaker to be good movies. Also The Magic Voyage of Sinbad is apparently a poorly-edited and dubbed version of a fairly good Russian fantasy movie. Also I am in the minority here very much, but I think Red Zone Cuba, is, from a meta-perspective, an interesting film and wouldn't be too out of place in the arthouse circuit.

The Russian fantasy movies were quite good. Some of the others you name were fine, though Soultaker was too high concept for its budget (Heaven is the top floor of a hospital?). But you're wrong, wrong, wrong about Devil Doll and Mole People. Especially the former, since the latter had an interesting script spoiled by the dragging injured guy subplot and casting John Agar to condesend to everyone.