The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Aliroz said:

What's so important about security?

I mean, it's not as though getting into my account is going to let you find out my personal identity number.

Consider the possibility that someone reused their TVT password on another website, which might contain personal information.

(Everyone knows that reusing passwords is bad, but we all do it anyway.)
    Aliroz said:

Dang it, she picks that one to do; and not the "Read The King's Shadow" one.  I mean, is there some sort of chemical imbued within every copy of that book that all of humanity is allergic to except me?

Perhaps I should read that book, since it comes so highly recommended from you. I have a LONG list of books to read, though >_>
  • edited 2013-11-21 20:19:50
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Darn it, I thought it was going to be something like "Library Of Kiev Recovered", "Secret of Edward The Confessor's awesome healing miracles revealed", "Sarcosuchus Imperator resurrected", "new invention allows people to e-mail a punch to the face", "Megatokyo updated", "Ravens flee tower of London", "Linear A finally deciphered entirely", "German man has goodwill towards Czech man", "India and China unite into Chindia", "Canada becomes 51st state of the USA", "Potol finally photographed", or something amazing like that.

Then again, that last one would be all just plain incredible.

Aliroz said:

I mean, it's not as though getting into my account is going to let you find out my personal identity number.

Consider the possibility that someone reused their TVT password on another website, which might contain personal information.

(Everyone knows that reusing passwords is bad, but we all do it anyway.)
    Aliroz said:

Dang it, she picks that one to do; and not the "Read The King's Shadow" one.  I mean, is there some sort of chemical imbued within every copy of that book that all of humanity is allergic to except me?

Perhaps I should read that book, since it comes so highly recommended from you. I have a LONG list of books to read, though >_>

Aliroz said:

You know, in all the chattering I've seen about TVT's shitty security, nobody's ever pointed out that the captcha on the password-changing page is literally always "ploughed"

Though perhaps more worrying is that the page displays your password in plaintext.

Many people use the same password for multiple sites, so people who are trying to break into other accounts on other sites and things you may have accounts on will oftentimes have a good place to start.

Of course, this is exactly why you should have diverse passwords.
    Wait a minute.  People DO that?

That's stupid.  That's like, Norwegian-level of not-sophisticated.

You should change your password every year, and your passwords should be something like ry2dwuFIkmgtre56;p,gd4gdt; not something like pastramidirigiblealgaebaroque or Sw0rdf1sh.
  • i am like so fucking comfy right now
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Generally speaking, longer passwords that are easy to remember are a lot better than shorter ones that are harder to remember. The more characters there are, the more the time it takes to hash it goes up exponentially.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Obviously using a word that can be found in the dictionary is a bad idea.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    *pirouettes*
  • abba's original was better
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Miko said:

Generally speaking, longer passwords that are easy to remember are a lot better than shorter ones that are harder to remember. The more characters there are, the more the time it takes to hash it goes up exponentially.

Oh come on, it takes just as many keystrokes to go Qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcbnm as to go ry2dwuFIkmgtre56;p,gd4gdt.  Practice, practice, practice and muscle memory will make it just as easy to go "zrrydwu" as to go "pancakes".

Also, your thing there is comparing long passwords to short passwords, which is unfair; as long passwords have way more possible permutations to use as a password.  And the advantage of the y2dwuFIkmgt is that human hackers aren't going to guess it; but your muscle memory makes it easy to type.
  • human hackers don't guess things themselves

abba's original was better

yes, Abba did the best version of "I Lit Your Baby On Fire"
  • every song is an abba cover
  • Miko said:

Obviously using a word that can be found in the dictionary is a bad idea.

correct horse battery staple
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know, there was a period in 2011-12 during which "Tennessee" was mentioned repeatedly in my dreams

It was strange
    CENTRALIA NATIONAL RAILWAY
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    "Aeedles"
    SNKlish
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Why don't nerds like American* animation more

*most American shows these days have their actual animation outsourced
  • because anime is of SUPERIOR QUALITY

Anonus said:

You act as though "nerds" constitutes one homogeneous group
    why am i looking at East Tennessee on Google Maps
    moo
  • Coronation Street
    Fascination Street
    everything by CAVE is bad ass and also awesome

but is it groovy and waycool?
    K.O. I BEATED TOUHOU 8 ON LUNATIC because yntk these things i guess
    ^^ yes :)
  • why am i looking at East Tennessee on Google Maps

You just want to be connected in some way to me. I can't blame you, really.
    Miko said:

K.O. I BEATED TOUHOU 8 ON LUNATIC because yntk these things i guess

Congrats.

Now beat The Lost Levels.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-11-21 21:36:52
    > everything by CAVE is bad ass and also awesome

same with Ubisoft Montpellier

except Rabbids

though one could argue that they did a good job with the first game though I haven't played it yet. maybe I will at some point, but only after having decided to hate myself.
  • edited 2013-11-21 21:34:34
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ But I am trying to capture every spell in Touhou 8 now. :o I have 199 out of 222.

Anonus said:

You act as though "nerds" constitutes one homogeneous group
    the ones i tend to interact with aren't into it

which makes me wonder why I don't just go back to TZ, but still
    Kexruct said:

Did you know: Your ABC affiliate changed hands from Young Broadcasting to Media General last week
  • My phone automatically says Montpellier whenever I type "Ubisoft" now

I like this thing already
    patchouli
  • Anonus said:

Kexruct said:

Did you know: Your ABC affiliate changed hands from Young Broadcasting to Media General last week
    No, I didn't. Thanks for the info though, /sinceritymode.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-11-21 21:41:10
    Also I'm a total and utter western animation nerd

I do enjoy anime but I think my favorites skew American
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-11-21 21:40:54
    Well, favorites in TV anyway.

Video games, I guess you could say I'm a little bit of a sucker for French ones these days. :P
  • My tastes

what even

lol who the hell is buying a givenchy case for their iphone 4

• edited 2013-11-21 21:53:21

man i knew this dude who said that porter robinson''s work is "going downhill"

and it's like

he has one EP and some singles of varying quality, and has only been doing this for like 3 years

that's not enough data to really plot a trajectory
    256 x 224
  • I've personally enjoyed basically everything Porter's released so far but that's just me

and yeah, that is a bit too little to determine whether his work is going downhill or not
    Lesbi9: The Buttercup Story