The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2013-11-11 00:41:05
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ did you like them?
  • edited 2013-11-11 00:42:50
    i don't understand the trend towards reduced information for the consumer in technology and new media

i find it creepy and paternalistic
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm sorry
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

i don't understand the trend towards reduced information for the consumer in technology and new media

Meet the Windows 8 Blue Screen of Death:

• Tachyon said:

that is the worst thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

Tachyon said:

i actually thought of that as i was typing that

you could not have come up with a better case in point, really
    that fucking emoticon
    ugh
  • i kinda like that it tells you which part to google
  • The sadness will last forever.
    THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

DESTROY IT
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's especially frustrating because the wording of the XP-7 BSOD was already pretty user-friendly but provided way more information/guidance:

:(
  • edited 2013-11-11 00:53:27

i kinda like that it tells you which part to google

yeah

that's the only useful information on the page tho

in general there's been a move towards 'look it up online for help' which is no help if you're not connected to the internet for whatever reason
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The Windows 8 blue screen is eminently punchable. Doubly so for me, since I do have to develop device drives on occasion, and just giving a :( face and maybe the STOP #define isn't going to be enough. (Then again, I also have WinDbg for situations like that.)

Also, my computer (I guess because it's relatively generic) actually has the AMIBIOS boot screen enabled, as do the two new-ish XPCs I got for the office recently. The Dells have the DELL splash screen, but they're not fooling anyone; it's actually Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS 386 1.10 with their own cumulative changes since, oh, 1988.. 
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I don't like that trend either, and also the trend towards "simplicity" (read: burying previously-immediately accessible menu options under more menus; look at this year's Gmail redesign)
    I never actually got a blue screen but that doesn't change the fact I hate it
    One strange thing I've noticed about my laptop: It boots straight into GRUB, with no logo or splash screen, and only shows the Asus logo after I've selected "Windows Boot Manager"

I suspect this is some kind of UEFI quirk
  • i like things that look nice
  • edited 2013-11-11 00:56:34
    @Anonus or Google's home page itself

i liked when YouTube and Google Maps were visible on the front page
    Also, this is so me. Indeed, it could apply to developers in general:

Anyway, speaking of Phoenixes, I've been playing the old Ace Attorney games while my internet's been down

I love Maya Fey

And Pearl Fey is adorable

i like things that look nice

i like things that look nice (to me), but sacrificing function and user-friendliness in favour of minimalism strikes me as counter-productive
    lee4hmz said:

Also, this is so me. Indeed, it could apply to developers in general:

that Hackers thing is so '90s-looking
    Except that you could probably replace that last panel with a shot of my messy desk and huge Samsung monitor, complete with an army of empty Diet Mountain Dew and Diet Dr Pepper bottles. :P
    Tachyon said:

@Anonus or Google's home page itself

i liked when YouTube and Google Maps were visible on the front page

they are, you just have to click on the nine-square icon

which proves my point...
  • edited 2013-11-11 01:00:44
    exactly

it's completely unintuitive if you didn't already know the services existed
    Yeah, the Hackers movie it's referencing came out in 1995 and was considered campy even then, when public use of the Internet had only been around for about two years.
    Honestly the Windows 8 BSOD seems kinda condescending too

With the big frowny face and the first-person pronouns (seriously, what the hell is that?) I get the impression that they're talking to me like a 6-year-old
    ...it was a United Artists movie?

Good god MGM and UA had a hell of a dork age

With the big frowny face and the first-person pronouns (seriously, what the hell is that?) I get the impression that they're talking to me like a 6-year-old
    it strikes me as an attempt to be "friendly"

also, what about what I said about burying things under extra menus

yeah
  • Lately, my life seems to involve me being stranded in places I don't want to be and saying things while drunk that I prolly shouldn't.
    campy love
    Anonus said:

also, what about what I said about burying things under extra menus
    Yeah, that's irritating too

iTunes 11 is especially annoying, because the menu bar is hidden by default, but there are certain things you can't get to unless you enable it

Lately, my life seems to involve me being stranded in places I don't want to be and saying things while drunk that I prolly shouldn't.

i know the feeling

• this is the dumbest thing ever and I love it.
    1. You must be born to write

You can't teach someone to know how to use words effectively and beautifully. You can help people who can write to write more effectively and you can probably teach people a lot of little tips for writing a novel, but I don't think somebody who cannot write and does not care for words can ever be made into a writer. It just is not possible.

Nobody could make me into a musician. Somebody might be able to teach me how to play the piano reasonably well after a lot of effort, but they can't make a musician out of me and you cannot make a writer, I do feel that very profoundly.
    fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you i'm not listening and i don't care

• this is the dumbest thing ever and I love it.

i know right

i made a thread for it a while back...
    Tachyon said:

You can't teach someone to know how to use words effectively and beautifully. You can help people who can write to write more effectively and you can probably teach people a lot of little tips for writing a novel, but I don't think somebody who cannot write and does not care for words can ever be made into a writer. It just is not possible.

Nobody could make me into a musician. Somebody might be able to teach me how to play the piano reasonably well after a lot of effort, but they can't make a musician out of me and you cannot make a writer, I do feel that very profoundly.
    gay-ass bullshit
  • Tachyon said:

some day people will accept that arts are crafts and can be learned and that talent is largely a myth.

if it weren't, Chief Keef wouldn't be successful.
  • Tachyon said:

I think some people may be more incline to certain things (like writing). But, that doesn't mean it can't be learned and someone can't create something worthwhile. I suck at math. But, I believe if I was driven enough, I could possibly really motivate myself and could comprehend it and be able to actually do something with that.
    eugenics
    BORN
    sponges
    i just can't stand that kind of advice

i never know whether i should feel defiant or curl up and accept that i will never amount to anything
    Next question, for $1000:

Which of the following is NOT something Central Avenue doesn't love?

A. bad drivers
    B. Anonus
    C. cell phone contracts
    D. John Boehner