The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Route 666 said:

Hmm, I hadn't considered that before.

I wouldn't want you to die...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

Route 666 said:

Hmm, I hadn't considered that before.

I wouldn't want you to die...
    Aww, I know...

I promise to wear a seat belt, sweetie
  • edited 2013-10-11 20:10:55
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ If someone has no fear of being arrested or disenfranchised for seeking help for their addiction, and if the taboo were not there to create the temptation and reinforce the power of criminal outfits, then I do think that addiction would be less of a problem. But by the same token, there is a difference between having federally funded needle exchange programs and letting street dealers hock rat poison-laced heroin.
  • ^^^ If someone has no fear of being arrested or disenfranchised for seeking help for their addiction, and if the taboo were not there to create the temptation and reinforce the power of criminal outfits, then I do think that addiction would be less of a problem. But by the same token, there is a difference between having federally funded needle exchange programs and letting street dealers hock rat poison-laced heroin.

Fair enough.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
  • edited 2013-10-11 20:53:56
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Route 666 said:

Seat belt laws make me feel weird.

Yes, there are a lot of people who wouldn't wear the seat belts if not for the threat of a fine. Yes, this has most likely prevented hundreds of deaths over the years.

But at the same time...if something I do endangers only myself, why does the government have the right to forbid me from doing it?
    Would you endanger another person?

No, you would not.  You value life too much; and you try to be kind to others.

Why, then, do you treat yourself so poorly?  You are a person, are you not?

We are supposed to be kind to all people, and that includes ourselves.

Also, in a car accident, a person without a seatbelt is a danger to others, as an unrestrained projectile.  Not only could you die, you could kill other people in the car.

Force equals mass times accelleration.  Car crashes have tremendous accelleration.

When you go without a seatbelt, you endanger everyone in the car.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • edited 2013-10-11 20:50:25
    (2015 self)
    Marijuana should probably be illegal except in cases like Charlotte Figi.

Really, it shouldn't be sold as a commercial enterprise; a person who sells marijuana is, to me, in the same room as a person who sells cigarrettes or alcohol to addicts, or any addictive drug; including the most harmless painkillers. 

Addiction is not a good thing.  Even if the drug is physically harmless (which I don't think any addictive drug really is if you're addicted to it; nothing is healthy in huge quantities) or even good for you; it still makes the addict dependent on the substance; and that is a really scumbaggy way to make money.

Addiction is not a healthy thing, psychologically.

Cigarrettes and alcohol should be illegal.  Or, at least, the selling of such things in such a way as to make people addicted.

Doctors, however, could administer marijuana in cases like Charlotte Figi's case.
  • I need a job. I want money so I can buy this.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    -throws money at the computer screen-

Sorry, Cutxerk, it's not getting through.
  • Darn. I appreciate the sentiment at any rate.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Marijuana should be illegal except in cases like Charlotte Figi.

Really, it shouldn't be sold as a commercial enterprise; a person who sells marijuana is, to me, in the same room as a person who sells cigarrettes or alcohol to addicts, or any addictive drug; including the most harmless painkillers. 

Addiction is not a good thing.  Even if the drug is physically harmless (which I don't think any addictive drug really is if you're addicted to it; nothing is healthy in huge quantities) or even a bit good for you; it still makes the addict dependent on the substance; and that is a really scumbaggy way to make money.

Cigarrettes and alcohol should be illegal.  Or, at least, the selling of such things in such a way as to make people addicted.

Doctors, however, could administer marijuana in cases like Charlotte Figi's case.

The problem with making addictive things illegal is that it only makes the market for them more dangerous. Better to make something potentially hazardous a legal and well-regulated commodity than an unknown quantity only available via the black market.

Also, marijuana is generally not addictive. At worst, it is habituative in the way that anything connected with ritual and euphoria is, with the added psychoactive element. But yes, making it legal as a medicinal substance is still more pressing than allowing it recreationally.

What in a perfect world would be cannot be in an imperfect world.
  • edited 2013-10-11 21:07:57
    (2015 self)
    No, I don't want it to be a common medicinal substance; that opens up opportunities for exploitation.

I mean that in cases like Figi's; it should be used; but not in cases of "I got a hangover and need to feel happy".

Here's what the National Institude on Drug Abuse has to say about marijuana and whether it is addictive.

Nine per-cent is too goshdarn much.

I think that selling anything in such a way as to get people addicted to it and dependent on it; and exploiting that addiction for money, is scumbaggy.

it only makes the market for them more dangerous. Better to make
    something potentially hazardous a legal and well-regulated commodity
    than an unknown quantity only available via the black market.

is it wrong that this made me think of assassination and whether it should be a legal and well-regulated commodity?  I know you didn't mean anything like that at all.

Resurgam.
    Note the weasel words there: "Long-term use may cause addiction." Lot of conditions there. Long-term use of marijuana is not the same as occasional use, There is also a difference between using something habitually and actually being physically addicted to it which they do not make clear there. I would also like to add that for someone with a severely addictive personality, anything and everything that evokes that kind of chemical response in the brain poses a risk of habit or need.

Also, the physical withdrawal symptoms for people who do "need" pot are basically identical to the reasons why someone would start smoking it semi-recreationally in the first place; Grumpiness, occasional sleeplessness, nerves. Comparing it to nicotine is also unfair, given that tobacco smokers consume a heck of a lot more of their drug of choice to weaker effect, totalling their bodies in the process.
    There is a Heaper equivalent to Godwin's Law, I think.

It involves techno, ponies and Homestuck.
    the system

is down

the system

is down
  • So Fez is pretty kickass, and I respect Phil Fish a little more now after having played some of it.

Also

I'm usually not into video game OSTs but holy hell
  • phil fish: the varg vikernes of gaming

Seiken Densetsu 3 (a.k.a. Secret of Mana 2) is kind of a weird game sometimes
  • phil fish: the varg vikernes of gaming

well Phil Fish has never killed anybody, he's just racist and he hates everything.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Drug inject
    Melusina said:

the system

is down

the system

is down

*oonts oonts oonts oonts*

Ludmila said:

phil fish: the varg vikernes of gaming

well Phil Fish has never killed anybody, he's just racist and he hates everything.
    Namely, Varg Vikernes before he killed Euronymous.

Minus the sense of humour.
    Phil Fish threw a fit on Twitter. That's all I know about him.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    varg is such a cutie
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Guns are bad and drugs are good. Anyone who thinks differently is wrong.
    what about guns that shoot drugs
    Melusina said:

what about guns that shoot drugs

Boogad.
    Guns are a necessary evil
    And I say that as someone who doesn't like guns
  • edited 2013-10-11 22:18:52
    My dreams exceed my real life
    nm
    Pedoshit No Fapfap
  • "if I don't have a gun, how will I kill all of these other people with guns?"
  • Ludmila said:

"if I don't have a gun, how will I kill all of these other people with guns?"

in their sleep
  • it's fun watching senior republicans getting increasingly desperate
    Left wing? Right wing? How about No wing?
  • Left wing? Right wing? How about No wing?

yeah we should all just vote for Impartial Totally Neutral Freedom-Loving Politican Ron Paul.
  • edited 2013-10-11 22:45:57
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Dangit Ronpaul
    Dangle Rumpus
    Dingdong Roller
    Doodoo Ricecake
    Doggy Romper
    drugs solve all problems and guns make all problems
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    wait what
    Rich people are the problem
    already did that; it is not fun