The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2013-05-10 16:35:52
    Today I learned my friend is the lead singer of one of those screamy metal bands.

He's generally a pretty soft spoken, genial guy and seeing him at a talent show screaming at everyone was really surreal.
  • i am now imagining your friend is Jacob Bannon.
  • edited 2013-05-10 16:48:37
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh wow, Too Cute has a KITTEN CAM.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    You seem to like that show a lot...

Also, apparently Andrew Nicholls and Darrell Vickers were, at one point, doing a new Mr. Magoo series for Classic Media. In that one he wasn't nearsighted...but he was a detective!

It didn't get off the ground, and now it, again, makes me wonder if ABC Inc wasted money on Classic Media... (I admit, I saw Mattel buying Hit Entertainment as a sign that it was crunch time on buying CM)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    i'm off to work, i s'pose

see everypony later

might get done early again, they don't seem to have much lined up for tonight
  • Too Cute is the best television show of all time
  • good, maybe then you'll stay away from the pot.
  • NEVER

(*Hugs the pot*)
  • Can someone please explain to me why it's okay for people to change straight characters' sexuality in fanfic but not gay characters'?

I don't write fanfiction but this really bugs me.
    It's not exactly okay to do that either

People on Tumblr tend to complain about that because they usually see it used to fetishize gays...
  • In my opinion, it's about portrayal. If you're changing a character's sexuality, you'd better have a good reason for it.
  • Kexruct said:

Can someone please explain to me why it's okay for people to change straight characters' sexuality in fanfic but not gay characters'?

I don't write fanfiction but this really bugs me.
    Whenever someone changes a gay/lesbian's character in a fanfic it annoys the hell outa me because THERE ARE SO FEW GAY CHARACTERS DAMNIT

changing a straight character's orientation is also pretty scummy too tho

rule of thumb: if you need to change a major facet of a character to get a ship to work it is a crappy ship
  • so basically neither is ok, but one is less ok than the other due to unfortunate implications and shit
  • Naney said:

Kexruct said:

rule of thumb: if you need to change a major facet of a character to get a ship to work it is a crappy ship

This isn't always the case (e.g. Kanaya), but I see where you're coming from.
  • Kexruct said:

Naney said:

Kexruct said:

Kanaya being shipped with whom?
  • Naney said:so basically neither is ok, but one is less ok than the other due to unfortunate implications and shit

But as long as it is done well (and understand that I'm saying it has to be done
    really well), why does it matter?
  • Naney said:

Kexruct said:

Naney said:

Kexruct said:

Kanaya being shipped with whom?
    Pretty much anyone, really. She has interesting relationships with pretty much all of the characters.
  • edited 2013-05-10 18:03:26

By definition it cannot be done well.

^ Well, she is in a cannon relationship with Rose, though i guess you do have three other quadrants.
  • personally, I find the entire practice of shipping to be really dumb.
    Sometimes I worry that shipping Rarilight is bad, because Rarity has only shown an interest in male characters and Twilight Sparkle, like most of the characters, may as well be asexual

Would you mind elaborating on this?

i do tend to agree with this

especially with the peeps who get REALLY MAD about people shipping characters in their ships with other characters, that shit is cray-cray

though i do have one non-canon ship
  • Naney said:

But you haven't really said that much to back this up.

I guess it really depends on how important it is to the character. Kanaya being a lesbian isn't particularly important to her character, so it's not as bad to change it, but (to use an example from a game I've heard about extensively but never played) doing so for say, Kanji from Persona 4, probably wouldn't be okay as so much of his character development is based off of his coming to terms with his sexuality.
  • Kexruct said:

Naney said:

If you are writing using someone elses characters and then you change what the characters are, why the hell are you using their characters

it's like

why

i dun geddit

I don't really see how I can. I find the idea of pairing up fictional characters that don't have any real relationship in the work they originate from to be silly, and frankly just don't see the point.
  • Naney said:

Kexruct said:

Naney said:

If you are writing using someone elses characters and then you change what the characters are, why the hell are you using their characters

it's like

why

i dun geddit
    Once again, it's about how important that character's sexuality is to their character.

I don't really see how I can. I find the idea of pairing up fictional characters that don't have any real relationship in the work they originate from to be silly, and frankly just don't see the point.
    it can be fun to think of how characters would interact and things

i can see no way that this ship could not result in boatloads of amazing dialogue.

It's mostly just for the fun of the shippers, they like both of the characters, and they make a realm where the two characters can play off of each other (Not my best word choice) But it's much in the same way crossovers work, or "Vs." posts. They like the thought of the two characters interacting and so they write about it.

It's about as dumb as all other fanfiction in this case. /shrug.
  • though i guess we have ARquiusprite now so that is like a moot point
  • Naney said:

personally, I find the entire practice of shipping to be really dumb.

it can be fun to think of how characters would interact and things

i can see no way that this ship could not result in boatloads of amazing dialogue.
    what even is this picture even
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-good-bands-start-to-suck-illustrated-guide/

I feel no relation or emotional attachment to anything this article says at all
  • Odradek said:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-good-bands-start-to-suck-illustrated-guide/

I feel no relation or emotional attachment to anything this article says at all
    oh shit this gonna be good
  • actually it was pretty boring
  • any article that contains "listen to metal" as advice is immediately shit tier.
  • edited 2013-05-10 18:28:24

dubious examples aside it was fairly accurate

it just was not funny

which when it comes to humor is something of a failing

anyways i advise you to listen to metal

Fact: Flo Mouiner is secretly an octopus
    http://dimasokantinatalism.blogspot.com/2013/05/its-immoral-to-be-happy-in-this-shithole.html#comment-form Behold, the world's worst support group.

God this is depressing, if not for the reasons the author means.
  • Naney said:

dubious examples aside it was fairly accurate

I read like three sentences in the entire article to be completely honest.

It's way funnier if you just look at the pictures out of context.

Odradek said:
    no stahp
  • 312,740,000 animal born into a life of suffering
    hahahahahaa
  • and topped off with an image macro
  • The Rap Video That Is Clearly About Stalking Kim Kardashian

>article is about "I Hit It First" by Ray J

see, it's not funny if you pretend something is about something else if what you're pretending the thing is about is actually what it's about

it's not funny to say that that stupid Ray J song is about stalking Kim Kardashian, because it fucking is

why would you want to devote an entire article--even a small one--to pointing this out, especially when this was news like a month ago.

• The sadness will last forever.
    binz

How did people ever get angry at this man.
  • weirdest thing about Soulja Boy is how his music predicated a lot of what's currently popular in mainstream rap by several years, and how he's now trying to play catch-up with the very people who came after him.

for my part, the only song with Soulja on it that I really like is Andrew WK's "Goner".

• Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    I finished Off today. It was cool.
    t. Proffesional videogame reviewer
  • Apparently a few people on Tumblr take issue with what I said earlier.