The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    This may be a stupid question but why does BBC America carry a lot of non-BBC programming?
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Yarrun said:

Because money, presumably.

But But the BBC is funded by my money Q_Q
  • Yarrun said:

The Nostalgia Critic has an intro segment now. With electric guitar riffs.

For pete's sake, Doug, not having an intro segment made you different. It made you better than the rest of the reviewers wallowing in the pits.

Ahem.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm a person who exists and is also posting here now.

I want to design an imaginary city...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I remember SimCity
    The SNES version had Bowser instead of Godzilla, I thought that was a nice touch.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Classy, Microsoft. You may as well print the games on those dodgy self-destructing discs, too, just to rub it in. :P

Speaking of Microsoft:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/20/pegatron_microsoft_surface/

FONDLESLAB!!!!!! It sounds like a lowblood troll word for a tablet! XD
  • "It calls itself Plane-freezer Lakhrahnaz in our language. I regret asking it to say it in its own, for the combination of audible and inaudible sounds from its many lipless mouths caused me a pounding headache and blood to cascade from my nose, which Lakhrahnaz then froze."
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Should I do more in-depth blogging?
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Why not? I think it'd be interesting to see.
    BLOG TO THE BOTTOM OF THE DEEPESTMOST DEPTHS
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

http://kotaku.com/5982097

hahahaaaaaaa

oh wow
    If the other console makers follow suit then I would be very upset

I am not looking forward to a day when media consumption is Internet-centric, oddly
    Ace Rimmer said:This may be a stupid question but why does BBC America carry a lot of non-BBC programming?

BBC America's niche is British imports, not always from the BBC. It veers off of this niche occasionally (its shows include
    Star Trek: The Next Generation and The X-Files as well), though.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    "Non-Euclidean' Lovecraftianism: horror deriving from the premise that human emotions *do* have significance in the vast cosmos-at-large..." I feel like this would be a reactionary and idealistic step back from Lovecraftianism.
  • horror deriving from the premise that human emotions *do* have significance in the vast cosmos-at-large

interesting idea
    my angst is justified
  • edited 2013-02-06 20:01:09

i can't tell if mine is

but justification is overrated
    I'm home now.

On the way back from the store there was a cop behind us who was using a weird sort of two-tone siren. It sounded more like something that belongs across the pond.
  • GREAT IDEA

Majora's Mask/Ankh-Morpork City Watch crossover. Link and Vimes switch minds.
    Just finished reading The Postman Always Rings Twice.

Well, that was certainly a thing.
    There's this dude who can jump like 20ft IN THE AIR! That's like higher than my house or at least higher than anyone else who I've seen jump! And he's a plumber, which is fuckin' sweet 'cause he's got a trade so he's fuckin' loaded! But he collects coins anyway for this HOT BABE who's like a princess and like all FUCKIN' OVER HIM. He kicks the ass of a DINOSAUR to bang her, which is cool 'cause dinosaurs don't exist any more so maybe he FUCKIN' PWNED 'EM by jumping on 'em...
  • so i brained an idea while i was in the drippywet

for some reason i always imagine particularly painful ideas in the shower

in this case, i realized just how excruciating growing a pair of wings would be

your physical body does not exist when you die, but we are made up of everything that the universe is made out of - hence we just move on to a different plane of being.

the same way that the cloud turns into the rain which turns back into the cloud. our death is a transfer of energy just the same as the clouds. the underlying comparison is that we (clouds and body) are both energy.,

we are walking, conscious incarnations of the energy of the universe, and only perceive what our primitive bodies and senses allow us to perceive.

behind your ego and sub ego is a higher consciousness that watches reality pass by like a movie - an illusion where we are given tests to grow as a soul. so meditate long, find yourself behind all the sand in your eyes.

or you can just give up and believe its all black nothingness when we die and its like a dream, to repeat the birth and death cycle until you get it right.

everyone in the west has forgotten this because we are in a consumerism, materialistic 'EGOsystem' where we are separate from everyone instead of one with everything.

We forget that Batman was always meant for kids, with colourful characters that will stick in the imagination of the child; like Danny Devito's Penguin or Michelle Pfeiffer's Cat Woman. Those films were kids comics, with bombastic sets, funny set pieces, and ridiculous characters that adults could also enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Nolan ones; unfortunately, Kids will hate the Nolan ones! This is a problem.

Now, the first Christopher Nolan Batman was, off course, excellent; but the second on got too stupid. That one, the one with The Joker, tried the be so real, like the realism in the HBO series, The Wire; with gangs and scary black guys. In that Joker instalment, there was even a big black gangster with a Detroit accent that was obviously inspired by The Wire. However, in real life, a guy with a painted Joker face would get his brains blown out of his cranium, no doubt, they would do that thing right! People shoot you in the face in gang-land, you see, especially if you wear face paint and plastic trousers, and Nolan's Batman is full of plastic trousers and gangsters and geezers who would kill you in a second if you crossed them. Realism demands guns and blood!

This is the problem with these films. If your gonna go all veritas and post-modern then you have to go the whole hog. You can't have the evil one beating up a load of pigs and the pigs not shooting you in the face, you see. Where is the comical imagination?

These films try too be too realistic and this is why the critics get all hot and wet over them, like silly girls. In this third instalment there is even loads of Ayn Rand philosophy, like the kids will understand that one and Michael Cains character is no longer a butler, but instead, Michael Cain is now a father figure to Bruce Wayne, with plenty of 'I fear for your safety Bruce' and 'I'm there to pick up the pieces Bruce'. This has the unfortunate effect of turning the Michael Cain character into Bruce Wayne's gay lover. Really, watch the film to see for your self!

Also, for a film that is trying to be gangster-wild, there is no swearing in the Nolan films, just like in the old A Team series, no one really gets killed and there is no blood, like in the old A Team series.

It is still a good film mind, and the cat woman character is great and the other woman is also great! However, I think we are somewhat selfish if we drag our kids to see this comical castrato.
    Myr: Apparently the only Batman this writer's familiar with is the 1960s TV show and maybe his guest appearances on Superfriends and Scooby-Doo. The comic hasn't really been kiddy-fied since the Silver Age ended.
  • perhaps you weren't aware

comics inherently suck if they try to be serious

Naney said:

(*Sigh*)

wut rong

best Joker face.
    Kex: hehehehe. Because "serious" always means Liefeld-esque OMG XTREEM bullshit, amirite? (BTAS was dark without being XTREEM...then again, the XTREEM thing wasn't for another few years anyway.)
  • My brother is 9 and loves the Nolan movies. Jsaying, you can't really do Batman without a kid appeal of some sort being there. The average ten year old probably finds the basic concept of a man gliding around in a bat suit to be fairly awesome, hence why we see so many Batman Halloween costumes, Nolan branded or otherwise.

Heck, for a couple of years I wore my Nolan Batsuit as my solitary costume, but then puberty.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-02-06 22:37:38
    Also, I fail to see the Objectivist arguments this guy claims are there, even though I'm sure they are TOTALLY OVBIOUS.

Namely because I'm not looking for hard and fast libertarian belief systems' tenets in a DC Comics movie, but I digress.
  • Tre said:

Also, I fail to see the Objectivist arguments this guy claims are there, even though I'm sure they are TOTALLY OVBIOUS.

Namely because I'm not looking for hard and fast libertarian belief systems' tenets in a DC Comics movie, but I digress.

Maslow's hammer
    What would My Little Pony flavored weed varieties taste like?
  • Anonus said:

What would My Little Pony flavored weed varieties taste like?

Fedora fabric or trenchcoat leather
    impractical.
  • Odradek said:

We forget that Batman was always meant for kids blah blah blah the Joker's unrealistic blah blah blah AlfredxBruce OTP

...I'm tempted to explain in detail why this is terrible, but the right thing to do is dismiss this argument on the grounds that the grammar is poor and the author only has the slightest grasp on the English language (and there's no sign that English is his second language).
  • -sexy voice-

locally grown butter lettuce
  • edited 2013-02-06 23:06:41

Yarrun said:

Maslow's Hammertime.

The Occam's Razor's Edge
    I'm gonna be frank

I wish fedoras were cool again

I want to wear one someday
  • I expect men's hats to come back in the next ten years