The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2013-01-21 02:13:31
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm fond of mangling grammar from time to time--look at how often I turn nouns into verbs or use redundant phrases like "and also"--but I feel like I have to know the rules in order to break them.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

^^ I am? But...I love grammar...

^ See, that's because "failure" is correct.
    oh alright

Something I forgot to mention a few days ago: I saw a magazine (I wish I could remember which, because it was a big-name one) at the doctor's office the other day that had "WINS AND FAILS OF 2012" on its cover.

I think I'm about ready to give in on "fail" as a noun now. If magazine publishers--i.e., people who work with the written word professionally--are willing to accept it, what right do I have to say no?
    that just makes me less willing to accept it.

the spread of internet culture to non-internet mediums bugs me.

it always strikes me as really surreal and weird
  • I'm fond of mangling grammar from time to time--look at how often I turn nouns into verbs or use redundant phrases like "and also"--but I feel like I have to know the rules in order to break them.

Maybe, but you really shouldn't necessarily assume others don't know the rules as well.
    Anonus said:

^^ I am? But...I love grammar...

^ See, that's because "failure" is correct.
    oh alright

Something I forgot to mention a few days ago: I saw a magazine (I wish I could remember which, because it was a big-name one) at the doctor's office the other day that had "WINS AND FAILS OF 2012" on its cover.

I think I'm about ready to give in on "fail" as a noun now. If magazine publishers--i.e., people who work with the written word professionally--are willing to accept it, what right do I have to say no?
    that just makes me less willing to accept it.

the spread of internet culture to non-internet mediums bugs me.
    it always strikes me as really surreal and weird
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who's bothered by this.
  • I prefer to say "major failure" over "epic fail".

major failure just sounds more...failurey.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i feel that the spread of Internet culture into real life is a sign of the growing popularity of the Internet, which to my mind is a good thing.  Although, memes IRL seemed funnier to me when they were injokes, because of the potential for confusion.

Also to my mind 'fail' is different from 'failure' because failure is the opposite of success whereas fail is just some dude falling off a boat on Youtube.

Grammar is a tool to aid communication and nothing more important than that.
  • edited 2013-01-21 02:21:50
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

maybe,="" but="" you="" really="" shouldn't="" necessarily="" assume="" others="" don't="" know="" the="" rules="" as="" well.<="" blockquote="">
    ...Um, where did I indicate I made that assumption?

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ohai the quote plugin shitting itself

haven't seen you in about 5 minutes
    That particular error is new to me.
  • Well you did seem to be implying it but it's possible you didn't intentionally do so.
    a8 said:

i feel that the spread of Internet culture into real life is a sign of the growing popularity of the Internet, which to my mind is a good thing.  Although, memes IRL seemed funnier to me when they were injokes, because of the potential for confusion.

Ah, but now that the internet is popular, it's no longer a world onto its own. It's just a network through which the real world interfaces.

I don't actually think that, that's just a re-purposed and paraphrased passage from Serial Experiments Lain.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think I messed something up when I tried to cut out the rest of the quote, though that still wasn't the behavior I expected to get.
    Rejected spambot name: beatasalata
    i wonder sometimes if in the future the Internet will mostly just be a mobile phone service, with contemporary cyber/computer culture turning out to have been just a flash in the pan.
  • a8 said:

i wonder sometimes if in the future the Internet will mostly just be a mobile phone service, with contemporary cyber/computer culture turning out to have been just a flash in the pan.

Very unlikely. Mobile phones have gotten a lot smarter over the years but there's a very large lag between what they can do and what a real computer can do.

Frankly if anything I see the desktop/laptop having more relevance in the future.

We're decades away from the Matrix and I can't wait.

• edited 2013-01-21 02:32:10
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ i suppose that's true.

i find the rate at which mobile phones have advanced pretty astonishing, though.
  • edited 2013-01-21 02:33:04
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    So do I.

In 2006 I never would have dreamed of the iPhone and its ilk being available like they were a year later.
    The only thing that really bothers me about the spread of internet culture is that corporations seem to be slowly realizing they can profit from it. For example, I saw Nyan Cat toys being sold at Toys-R-Us during the Christmas season.

Something about that kinda thing just sorta rubs me the wrong way. I mean, I get that the internet isn't free and thus, like everything else in life, it must eventually succumb to the almighty dollar, but...I dunno, I still don't like it.
  • I think stuff like that is fine if the creators see money from it.

I doubt the dude who invented the trollface has seen so much as a nickel from its use on assorted stupid t-shirts.

As for the mobile phone thing: I think a lot of it comes down to content consumption vs. content creation.

Mobile devices are good for content consumption. If I just want to read Cracked articles or watch YouTube videos or something, that's pretty easily done on a tablet or phone.

If I want to write Cracked articles or edit video, I'm going to want a real computer in front of me, because its interface generally offers a finer level of control when it comes to content creation.

The other thing mobile devices aren't good for is multitasking, though developers at least seem to want to try to fix that.
  • edited 2013-01-21 02:38:50
    ^^^ i don't like that, either.

It's like, we had a brief window in which a folk culture emerged and flourished, and now it's getting absorbed into the omnipresent market, or something.

This sounds more resentful than i actually feel about it, but it's still annoying.

i'm torn i guess.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    a8 said:

^^^ i don't like that, either.

It's like, we had a brief window in which a folk culture emerged and flourished, and now it's getting absorbed into the omnipresent market, or something.

This sounds more resentful than i actually feel about it, but it's still annoying.

i'm torn i guess.

at first I felt like this (and I honestly still do a bit), but, there is a market for stuff like that so I guess I can't be too mad about it. The same people who are so heavily invested in that particular sphere of creation are interested in it's consumption so, it works out I guess.
  • I think it's paradoxically, easier to hide on the internet.

Let's be honest here, who outside of us knows Heapers' Hangout is even a thing?

Some IJBMers, and some Tropers, probably.

Maybe the odd Goon or guy Odradek makes fun of who gets here by googling himself, but that's about it.

Doesn't anything with any sort of popularity swiftly find itself on at least a T-shirt these days anyway?
  • edited 2013-01-21 02:45:12
    Yeah, i know.  It works out, and it's how our society and economy has always worked anyway, so there's no reason to feel resentment.

All the same, i was astonished when i realized how much money is actually involved in Youtube, for example.  Good for the people who are making content and making a profit off it, but the whole 'subscribe!' thing became a lot less cute when i realized they were getting paid by subscriber count.

And i guess i'm still kind of adjusting, because i never really held Internet content to the same standards that i held commercial content to, so my expectations of what can be achieved online are usually lower than the reality at present.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    a8 said:

i was astonished when i realized how much money is actually involved in Youtube, for example.  Good for the people who are making content and making a profit off it, but the whole 'subscribe!' thing became a lot less cute when i realized they were getting paid by subscriber count.

It's weird, even when I found this out, that never really registered to me. Like, I still saw the "rate comment suscribe" thing as just some cute little thing that I could ignore at my leisure and not something that was actually generating money. Quite frankly, it's weird seeing it, or trying to see it as anything other than frivolous, despite how invested some people are in it. I still can't really grasp just how important some of this stuff is to people.

a8 said:

And i guess i'm still kind of adjusting, because i never really held Internet content to the same standards that i held commercial content to, so my expectations of what can be achieved online are usually lower than the reality at present.

same.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Internet content and commercial content are converging anyways.

Time Warner recently invested $36 million into Maker Studios, the company that produces Epic Rap Battles of History.
  • edited 2013-01-21 02:57:37
    a8 said:

Yeah, i know.  It works out, and it's how our society and economy has always worked anyway, so there's no reason to feel resentment.

Same here. I know I shouldn't really expect anything different, especially considering that maintaining online content isn't "free" the way I tend to think it is, but I still feel a sort of resentment just because.

As for the YouTube thing: I caught on pretty quickly to the whole "Rate and Subcribe! XD" thing, though I do make a point to rate/subscribe for people whose videos I genuinely enjoy and want to support. I had no problem subscribing to Stuart Ashen, for instance, 'cause I want him to be able to keep shoving broken toys on a couch for my entertainment.
    a8 said:

You know what gives me the biggest dissonance there? That Guy with the Glasses. It seemed to start with Doug Walker making humorous videos for fun, but now Channel Awesome is...well, honestly, it feels like a conglomerate of sorts, albeit on a very small scale. It's strange, because I keep thinking "wait a minute, these people do this stuff professionally."
  • edited 2013-01-21 02:57:36
    ^^ That's exactly it.

And that's a case in point:

When i first saw that video, i was just like, omg... how?
  • I subscribe to people that post music i like
  • a8 said:

^^ That's exactly it.

And that's a case in point:

When i first saw that video, i was just like, omg... how?

I still love this one because of all the references Snoop makes to his old songs.
  • I never subscribe to anyone, because it really doesn't require much effort on my part to look up people's videos.
  • On the topic of internet being osmosis'd into mainstream culture....I haven't seen many people BUY those Nyan Cats at Toys-R-Us, let alone the Trollface shirts. I think, yes they can be made money off of, but how many people are going to buy it?

It's like if Hot Topic was selling Homestuck merch...
  • edited 2013-01-21 03:06:09
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Homestuck doesn't strike me as the kind of thing with very much mainstream appeal.

Who knows, though, maybe in 20-30 years we'll see it being referenced in movies and shows as its fandom's generation (I assume that most fans are in their teens and twenties) takes the reins of society :P
  • Are you kidding? I see people who think they're funny wearing rageface shirts all the time.
  • edited 2013-01-21 03:07:47

Are you kidding? I see people who think they're funny wearing rageface shirts all the time.

Little do they know that they are the first marked to die when the revolution comes.

• I don't know why I laughed at that but I did.
    i have seen a few people wearing Homestuck zodiac t-shirts IRL.
  • Yarrun said:

I think we established that the town you live in has some issues with taste, Mojave.

I live in a town most well known for killing the ecosystem of an entire mountain. Ya think?
    camp camp
    hffff
  • edited 2013-01-21 03:11:10
    The sadness will last forever.
    i saw meme stickers in a sticker machine once

weird
    a8 said:

How much of a phenomenon is it? (I defined "mainstream" as "older adults", which may be a weird definition)

I have long wanted a Nepeta shirt, myself...
  • a8 said:

I have too.

I have thought about getting a Sepulchritude hoodie, but it's on a long list of various things I want.