The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Torgo said:

Why the fuck was Pacific Rim supposed to be a multicultural feminist masterpiece anyway?

Well, it was definitely multicultural like that was one case where it mostly put its money where its mouth was.

As far as feminist... that's a bit more dubious because its female cast, while good, is tiny.

It's more a case of it being an exceptionally solid movie that got a lot of credit for being decently progressive.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    But the non-American people don't get to do anything, with the exception of Mako, who is clearly a sidekick.
  • Which is a problem. But the movie itself is thoroughly about the importance of unity. And the fact that characters with literally no lines (the Russian couple, for example) still manage to be memorable is a pretty big deal.

I would also contend that Mako is decidedly not a sidekick. She's not literally the main character but the film centers around her in large part.
  • Plus American mecha stuff consists mostly of the Michael Bay "black people sure are funny/useless, ain't they huh?" Transformers movies, and Pacific Rim was a breath of fresh air.

I would agree that Mako or at least someone not white should have been the protagonist, but it wasn't actively regressive and managed to squeeze in a decently progressive moral. It got a lot of mileage out of that.
  • Also take it from a writer: crowd pleasing stuff like Pacific Rim is really hard to write. ESPECIALLY if you intend to make it positive as opposed to pure junk food.
  • edited 2015-10-18 23:53:49

Tucker said:

Michael Bay "I carry a copy of the law that says it's legal for me to fuck your daughter with me everywhere I go" Transformers movies

ftfy
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    I wish I knew of any music that represented "desolate wasteland apocalypse" as well as Godspeed does cause I feel basic only using them for that
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I don't have a daughter
  • :3 said:

Tucker said:

Michael Bay "the heroes shoot and kill a vagina alien just for being a vagina alien" Transformers movies

ftfy
    ftfy

• i think the "I carry a copy of the law that says it's legal for me to fuck your daughter with me everywhere I go" bit is worse tbh
  • I wish I knew of any music that represented "desolate wasteland apocalypse" as well as Godspeed does cause I feel basic only using them for that

Spec Ops: the Line has some good tracks, being that it is a game set in a desolate wasteland apocalypse.

Try looking up "Bad Vibrations" by The Black Angels or "Stormy High" by Black Mountain

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    try looking up anything by Black Mountain, that band rocks
  • edited 2015-10-19 00:03:58
    fight. dream. horse. love.
    Why the fuck was Pacific Rim supposed to be a multicultural feminist masterpiece anyway?
    people have difficutly lauding crowd-pleasing popcorn like it without trying to elevate them with praise like this, which inevitably only hurts things, which is sad
  • :3 said:

i think the "I carry a copy of the law that says it's legal for me to fuck your daughter with me everywhere I go" bit is worse tbh

It is, but the other thing bore mentioning.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    black mountain sounds like a horror location
    wailing storms
    angry ghosts of long dead hikers
    sentient murder rivers
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I wish I knew of any music that represented "desolate wasteland apocalypse" as well as Godspeed does cause I feel basic only using them for that

Stars of the Lid definitely have their moments in this vein. Final does as well, although that's more a "the sun has died and the world is barren and cold and the sky is full of strange stars and silence" kind of vibe.
    One day soon I need to listen to Lift Your Skinny Fists... on something higher quality than shitty earbuds

Thanks for the recommendations
    There are actually a lot of great spooky drone ambient/isolationist groups out there that have desert, apocalyptic or cosmicist vibes, albeit not necessarily the vibe you describe.

Wait, wait: That Christoph Heemann/Merzbow collaboration. That is perfect. Pure desert apocalypse music.
    I need to find that and listen to it again. That album was the swag.
    There are actually a lot of great spooky drone ambient/isolationist groups out there that have desert, apocalyptic or cosmicist vibes, albeit not necessarily the vibe you describe.
    anything that's well-approximated by "The car's on fire, there's no driver at the wheel" will do nicely
    Tucker said:

Also take it from a writer: crowd pleasing stuff like Pacific Rim is really hard to write. ESPECIALLY if you intend to make it positive as opposed to pure junk food.

But, parts with Ron Perlman and the nerdy scientist who was channeling Ghostbusters-era Rick Moranis, it kinda felt like junk food to me.

I mean you're welcome to feel otherwise.

I wanted to like it, certainly, and I don't think it's BAD.
  • If you are looking for that feeling, my recommendation of Spec Ops's soundtrack is especially apt.
  • pacific rim 2 needs to have more ron perlman

anything that's well-approximated by "The car's on fire, there's no driver at the wheel" will do nicely

Basically anything Heemann or Andrew Chalk has been involved in. I am personally partial to their collaborative work as Mirror, which is optimum low-key horror story music. Live in Bern is an especial treat.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    junk food tastes good
    pacific rim 2 needs to have more ron perlman
    a great deal of things need to have more ron perlman
  • My cat never stops cleaning herself.
    I probably sound like one of those people who go on Reddit to complain about fast food employees not letting me have all the ketchup packets, or having to remember that children exist in a public space, but I really hate it when people ask me what I'm listening to on my earphones.

I am wearing these to AVOID conversation.

This encapsulates my philosophy of life.
  • if they could just adapt the IDW comics, no one would complain about the Transformers franchise.

ok

some people would

but less people. and less justifiably.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm no fan of most Transformers media, but the IDW comics seem like they're the best
  • the only good thing that came out of Bayformers was that one of the character designers for the comics used them as the template for Jhiaxus' new design, but he's supposed to look weird.

a regular transformer:

Jhiaxus:

• Anonus said:

I'm no fan of most Transformers media, but the IDW comics seem like they're the best

they are

granted there are some bad series in there too (no one really likes Drift that much, much less the comic entirely about him)

but because they're less toy-focused than the rest of the Transformers franchises they can do more interesting things. Like getting rid of most of the human characters and setting the stories on other places than Earth, or using more obscure characters, and all of that stuff.
  • not that the IDW comics are flawless, they have their problems. Like the entirety of Arcee's origin and character, but they're better than the movies.

also people tell me that the newish CGI cartoon is pretty good but I have not seen it.
  • also did you know

there are many parallels between the Transformers, particularly the IDW G1 interpretations, and the Gems from Steven Universe?

ah, I am rambling.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    what parallels are these
    Yo, Jane, have you seen Lesbears? You should if you have not.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Rambling is pretty much why this forum exists.

Just sayin'.
  • Anonus said:

what parallels are these

well, admittedly said parallels do rely on a (very well-supported and widely-accepted) theory about Rose Quartz and the Gem Rebellion.

but, essentially, Rose Quartz is IDW Megatron, but the role of who we as the viewer are supposed to side with is switched because the Homeworld is--from what we've seen--a lot like The Functionist Cybertron timeline.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Jane, Sredni, you two should get on the #trashheap IRC channel. Because I'm bored.
  • 0vvvv0 said:

I have seen enough of Lesbears to know that I'm not really interested in seeing more of it.

Maybe sometime if I'm real bored.
    Our IRC channel does not discriminate against tired people

You should have seen me in there back in 2013

I practically cried over not being an immortal winged unicorn in real life
  • Anonus said:

what parallels are these

well, admittedly said parallels do rely on a (very well-supported and widely-accepted) theory about Rose Quartz and the Gem Rebellion.

but, essentially, Rose Quartz is IDW Megatron, but the role of who we as the viewer are supposed to side with is switched because the Homeworld is--from what we've seen--a lot like The Functionist Cybertron timeline.
    I refuse to let a post in which I compare Rose Quartz to Megatron be buried.
    Metatron

0vvvv0 said:

I have seen enough of Lesbears to know that I'm not really interested in seeing more of it.

Maybe sometime if I'm real bored.

I would highly recommend it. It's way more layered and emotionally resonant than the sillier bits would suggest. Which is not to say that it is not funny, because parts of it really are, but it is also extremely moving.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    0vvvv0 said:

Wait, wait: That Christoph Heemann/Merzbow collaboration. That is perfect. Pure desert apocalypse music.

0vvvv0 said:

I need to find that and listen to it again. That album was the swag.

I think I can get you a copy. I'll PM you.
    OWNS 5 ALARM CLOCKS

SETS MORNING ALARM ON CELL PHONE
    The most punk thing you can possibly do is enjoy Mumford and Sons.