General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Go download it! It's fun.

I just beat it a little while ago and there are only three levels so far. But it's still super cool.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The music in Treasure Knight's stage reminds me of Mega Man music a lot.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    So I finished 999 last night. Well, basically finished. I got the four not-good ending before getting the good ending, and rather than play through the entirety of the game for the safe end (which I've basically already seen due to how the game works), I just read it online. The save scumming in the earlier parts to go through earlier routes and check what's up got a bit tedious at points, but overall the game is very good. I adore the character design, the characters, the music, and how it just works so well with the DS. It gets pretty creative at later points, which is if nothing else, just quite nice to actually play. Despite my being bad at puzzles and puzzle games, I only had to check up on one or two, but that's neither here nor there. It's a fun game, and I totally get the appeal.

I also read most of your Shovel Knight and Vagante reviews, Mo. Lost my place, somewhere. Will pick it up again later today.

Also, yes, Kexruct. I have indeed bought Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward already (amusingly also just called Good People Die; I like it). I'm looking forward to it.
  • Woo!

But I'm not gonna lie, the Safe Ending ended up being my favorite, and I feel like it's an important one to experience, but far be it from me to overvalue my own personal experiences with a game.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Well, as I see it, I already experienced the majority of the Safe Ending. I just need to put aside my memories of the Good Ending briefly, and then act like everything was implied. It's not too much that I'm missing out on, but I get your point. Plus, I'm not going to rush to an ending that doesn't give me the closure like the Good End did. It's not bad, just something I've got mixed thoughts about in this case. It was done pretty well, just... not my style. I got what was though.
  • The Safe Ending and the True Ending are the only two ones in the game that, I feel, genuinely do give a complete arc. In the case of the Safe Ending, you don't learn the purpose of the Nonary Game, but the arcs of Snake, Seven, Ace, Clover, and to a certain extent Junpei are satisfactorily fulfilled and in the case of Snake and Ace, are fulfilled in a way that's more interesting and dramatic than in the True Ending.
  • Kex can you read my game reviews to tell me if they make sense to you.
  • Kex can you read my game reviews to tell me if they make sense to you.

• Another Dark Souls update: Finally made it through Anor Londo and The Painted world side dungeon. Whoever designed that one section with the two archers firing at you on the railing of the chapel wall is really sadistic. That was easily one of the hardest parts of the game for me.

Also, being able to fast travel now is absolutely amazing.
  • The Anor Londo Archers are probably the hardest non-boss part of the game.

Another Dark Souls update: Finally made it through Anor Londo and The Painted world side dungeon. Whoever designed that one section with the two archers firing at you on the railing of the chapel wall is really sadistic. That was easily one of the hardest parts of the game for me.

Make sure to find the grave of Artorias in the Darkroot Garden before trying to beat New Londo.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Binged Recettear and Long Live the Queen this week. The former is very easy once you get to the post-game and don't have to worry about debt anymore, but still pretty addicting.

As for the latter: apparently I do best at becoming queen when I focus at least in part on espionage. Apparently a bunch of the alternate endings I have yet to unlock require me to focus on different skills. That sounds like it'll take some getting used to :(
  • edited 2014-07-07 01:55:23

The Anor Londo Archers are probably the hardest non-boss part of the game.

Definitely. At one point, I was almost ready to strangle my controller. I only got past them by luck because one of the archers walked off a ledge and I just ignored the other one.
    Odradek said:

Another Dark Souls update: Finally made it through Anor Londo and The Painted world side dungeon. Whoever designed that one section with the two archers firing at you on the railing of the chapel wall is really sadistic. That was easily one of the hardest parts of the game for me.

Make sure to find the grave of Artorias in the Darkroot Garden before trying to beat New Londo.
    Will do. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It's probably all they could afford.

Ambitious, though.
  • given the popularity of said bands they gotta have deep pockets
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Hey, Marc Hudson has a pretty good voice
  • edited 2014-07-09 23:27:29
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    So in case anyone was wondering, Transistor is a game well worth your time

The story isn't as good as Bastion in my opinion, but the gameplay is far improved
  • Been awhile since I've made a Dark Souls update, so I've pretty much done everything except fight Crossbreed Priscilla, Gwyndolin and the final boss. Finished the DLC that comes with the Prepare to Die addition.

Is it just me, or are the later Boss fights actually easier that the early boss fights (excluding DLC bosses)? It only took me one or two tries to beat most of the later game boss fights.

Been awhile since I've made a Dark Souls update, so I've pretty much done everything except fight Crossbreed Priscilla, Gwyndolin and the final boss. Finished the DLC that comes with the Prepare to Die addition.

Is it just me, or are the later Boss fights actually easier that the early boss fights (excluding DLC bosses)? It only took me one or two tries to beat most of the later game boss fights.

They definitely are.

From kinda ran out of time towards the end of the game, which is why Lost Izalith is the way it is.
  • Odradek said:

Been awhile since I've made a Dark Souls update, so I've pretty much done everything except fight Crossbreed Priscilla, Gwyndolin and the final boss. Finished the DLC that comes with the Prepare to Die addition.

They definitely are.

From kinda ran out of time towards the end of the game, which is why Lost Izalith is the way it is.
    I can imagine. Still, I kind of liked the Bed of Chaos boss, even if it was annoying as hell at the time I was fighting it.

The fights with Artorias and Kalmeet from the DLC were nice though. Added in a nice bit of difficulty. Actually managed to beat Manus on my first try too, which I'm kind of proud of that fact.
  • so hey, the "use active" key in Yume 2kki (1, by default) is not working, would anyone happen to have the slightest idea as to what's up with that?
  • I got closer than ever before to beating the final boss of Super Meat Boy.

Stupid lousy overcomplicated saw puzzles.
  • so how are rock candy controllers
  • I never got one. I held off on purchasing it on the hopes that I'd be able to get a job and buy the regular Xbox controller, which didn't pan out, so maybe for my birthday? I would like to actually play Dark Souls one of these days.

Anyways, I'm still working the keyboard. 
  • naney said:

so how are rock candy controllers

I've had one for about 6 months and they're pretty solid.
  • I might have to write an AutoHotKey script for Yume 2kki which would be the dumbest thing in history.

The only suggested fix I could find did not work so I have no idea.
  • to be perfectly clear, the use key in Yume Nikki (also 1) works fine
  • alright so

turns out that you just actually have to hold the Z key to make things work now

nvm
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    I think that's how it's always been in Yume 2kki, I remember being confused when I was playing both games a while ago
  • I really thought it was the 1 key back before the patched where they switched out Onyx Tile World for Purple World.

maybe I'm just the dumbest individual alive though.
    It's been a while since I played 2kki, I should check if the devs have uploaded an update
  • the .100H update is relatively recent I think.

There's lotsa new stuff, and a bunch of new effects. And two new endings. And a "pseudo-ending", whatever that means.
    Oh cool, last version I have is .100A.

• also they added more combo effects, and an option to quickbar an effect even though I can't use it because I'm not a Japanese speaker
  • Guys

I think I found a hitherto uncharted area in Yume 2kki.

I took a bunch of screencaps but this is by far the most interesting.

it's pretty obviously unfinished, there're lots of places that are clumsily blocked off and a door that doesn't open.
  • They've really been adding a lot of very, very deep-in, very large areas where there aren't any effects or wallpapers to collect, just a lot of strange stuff to look at.
  • i have been playing skullgirls

i have moved from the "how do i do anything" stage to the "i can almost do things" stage fairly quickly
  • Spoiler you cannot get past that second stage unless you are God.
    I wonder what's up with all those benches they added in Yume 2kki. I guess they do something if you find them all, or it's just a random thing the devs put
    I have finally become good at The Wonderful 101.

It is like when Neo sees the code in The Matrix.
  • Spoiler you cannot get past that second stage unless you are God.

(*kanye west voice*) i am a god (*smites Hedi Slimane*)
  • edited 2014-07-17 19:55:36

i don't care how long it takes i'm going to become at least slightly-more-than-competent with this game.
  • I wonder what's up with all those benches they added in Yume 2kki. I guess they do something if you find them all, or it's just a random thing the devs put

I think they're just to take screenshots on.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Odradek said:

I have finally become good at The Wonderful 101.

It is like when Neo sees the code in The Matrix.
    That's exactly what it feels like.
  • progress on being able to play skullgirls continues at a steady clip
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-07-24 09:21:43
    pleasant surprise: watching a development stream of Nuclear Throne actually made me want to try it out, though I think I'll wait until it's available for the Vita because I feel like it'd be a better fit there than on my computer (and also because I desperately need Vita games)

I didn't think I'd be interested because of how it handles respawns, but the leveling seems to alleviate that a bit.

also, I don't know why but I find something strangely intriguing about YV
  • Yung Venuz has a twitter account.

Also, you shouldn't wait to get it on Vita. I've played the game with a controller and it's terrible, it's basically a mouse and keyboard required game.