Pokémon

Comments

• I need to find out if there's a way to teach Gangnam "Uproar".
  • Found out something cool and/or sweet depending on how attached you can get to minor game characters.

Anyone remember the last Rocket Grunt you fought in Generation II?

It was pointed out to me today that the Rocket you come across in Black & White (the one who's given up on restoring the Team cuz he has a wife and son now) is that same guy.

• What about the "Hyuck-hyuck-hyuck!" grunt?
  • ...So, the other day, my sister said that she thinks that Pokemon should
    introduce no more than 3, maybe at the maximum 4 legendaries per
    generation and because of that fact, she doesn't like generations IX and
    X.

...But, in actuality...

Gen I: 5 legendaries
    Gen 2: 6 legendaries
    Gen 3: 10 legendaries (Which I should note is her favorite)
    Gen 4: 15 legendaries
    gen 5: 13 legendaries

...So in reality, no generation of pokemon ever made thus far fits her rule of no more than 4 legendaries.

...Should I tell her?
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
  • edited 2012-12-25 11:39:32

...So, the other day, my sister said that she thinks that Pokemon should
    introduce no more than 3, maybe at the maximum 4 legendaries per
    generation and because of that fact, she doesn't like generations IX and
    X.

...But, in actuality...

Gen I: 5 legendaries
    Gen 2: 6 legendaries
    Gen 3: 10 legendaries (Which I should note is her favorite)
    Gen 4: 15 legendaries
    gen 5: 13 legendaries

...So in reality, no generation of pokemon ever made thus far fits her rule of no more than 4 legendaries.

...Should I tell her?

Even if her nostalgia's off, she does have a point. Besides, it's not like you can go much further when you've introduced God as a Pokemon.
  • edited 2012-12-25 11:48:13
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    True, but who ever said that the legendaries of one generation always have to be more powerful than the legendaries of the last? Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem aren't more powerful than the creator god of the universe and his servants who control time, space, and antimatter (at least in terms of concept). But they still worked out pretty well.

I don't think we'll have another generation where we're back down to five or six legendaries. Cutting down on them might be a good idea, but I think 8-10 is a good spot to aim for.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    A minor trio, a major trio, an event, and one or two flavour legendaries

Although what matters more is making them FEEL legendary

For example, White did a beautiful job on the mythology and making the legendaries have gravity

White 2 went, "Oh, the Muskedeers are agitated. Oh, Azelf flew off somewhere randon". The only spots that made me go, "...Damn, this thing is truly, well, legendary" were Cresselia (not the Marvelous Bridge part, but that creepy ass house where the Lunar Wing is), Kyurem, Reshiram/Zekrom, and the Regis

Honestly, I think GSC did the best job. A powerful mythos for each legendary, yet you have to seek them out and do things that make them hard but rewarding to get. The mythos combined with the, "Holy crap what is this place?" just made me fall in love

As a side note, THAT'S why GSC are my favourites. Because the legendaries were done beautifully (DPPt is a close second (Once again, the legendaries had beautiful myths crafted, Canalave had a library that expanded on it, and the legendaries were in spots that made them feel... Legendary).

(This is followed by RBY (The birds and Mewtwo were in spots that made them sort of, "What is this thing... What is this place?". In fact, the places drove me to explore more BECAUSE of their feeling. And Mewtwo and Mew had the journals that just made you want to know MORE), then BW (Once again, wonderful myths) then RSE (The Regis were memorable. Least favourite gen (although I still love it), but still better than BW2 in terms of legendaries being crafted), then BW2 (Sloppy. Just plain sloppy))
  • edited 2012-12-25 15:14:21
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I see where you're coming from. It seems pretty clear to me that the Generation III and IV legendaries in HGSS and BW2 were put in mainly so that people who didn't have their original games could get them easily. That would make them pretty hard to tie in story-wise.

Also, I had another thought about the whole "what can you do after you have God" thing. It seems to assume that there won't be repeats of concepts. Yet for starters, we already have at least three ocean protectors/deities: Lugia, Kyogre, and Manaphy. Granted, it's more reasonable to have multiple ocean deities than it is to have multiple antimatter deities, but still.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Not to mention that Arceus is only said to have created the Sinnoh region, and the Azure Flute was never released, allowing them to easily retcon the Hall of Origin

In fact, I think that's what they were going for with Kyurem. I think Kyurem's full form (with both Reshiram and Zekrom) is another creator deity, essentially allowing a bit of, "Who's right? All of them? None of them? Maybe they are truly able to create worlds? Or maybe they are just extremely powerful Pokemon that people began to worship?"
  • edited 2012-12-26 02:43:04
    Come to think of it, in terms of sheer power Kyogre and Groudon are still the kings. Kyogre's so overused in Uber competitive play that people often pack Shedinja or Quagsire solely to counter him.

• Eurgh, don't remind me about how hard rain teams make Ubers/OU players...

I'm considering switching to UU just because of goddamned Politoed
  • edited 2012-12-26 09:20:06
    Politoed himself I can deal with, using Illumise's Tailwind as a speed booster for a Smeargle with Spore. Usually it will keep it out of the match... unless the opponent switches in something to block sleep at the last second, like Vaporeon or Toxicroak.
  • Spore Smeargle is only so good with Sleep Clause up though...
  • With Tailwind up it's usually enough for it to set up 1 boost and get out intact.
  • What's your Smeargle moveset? I assume it's something along the lines of Spore/Boosting Move/Baton Pass/Filler?
  • edited 2012-12-26 09:41:38
    Spore/Gear Shift/Baton Pass/Stealth Rock. Illumise is Protect/Encore/Wish/Tailwind, with an Eject Button functioning as a pseudo-U Turn.
  • The main reason that I never used pure support Pokemon was because OU was too offense-centric for me to fully use them

Although that's a fairly good gimmick team you've got there.
  • What's your team, then?
  • I don't have one ATM, given that mine needs a bit of adjusting after Genesect got Uber'd.
  • edited 2012-12-28 01:58:21
    Viani said:

Shuckle takes forever to level up.

Sh.... Shu-Shuckle? A Shuckle? A motherFUCKING
    SHUCKLE GODDAMN NO GOOD PIECE OF DONKEY ASS SUCK PISS CUNT DAMN SHIT AS
    COCK SHIT BLACK PERSON BONER PUSSY BITCH YOU THINK I'D EVER FORGET YOU
    YOU ASSRAPING TITTITWISTING MUFF TURNIP CUMBUCKET YOU HEAR ME YOU PIECE
    OF SHIT YOU'RE STILL DEAD TO ME YOU BRAINDEAD WORM-TURTLE THING WHAT
    KINDA TYPING IS BUG AND ROCK ANYWAY MOTHERFUCKER YEAH THAT'S RIGHT I
    STILL HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN WHAT WENT DOWN IN THAT FUCKING PIKE ALL THOSE
    FUCKING YEARS AGO YOU ASSFACED TAMPON POPSICLE ASSWIPE I WILL RAPE YOU
    AND YOUR FAMILY SHUCKLE YOU FUCKING HEAR ME BITCH I WILL RAPE YOUR
    FAMILY AND THEN I WILL RAPE YOU IN THE FUCKING EAR WHAT'S THAT FUCKER
    YOU DON’T HAVE AN EAR WELL THEN I'LL JUST HAVE TO MAKE ONE NOW WON'T I
    AND THEN I'LL RAPE YOU IN YOUR HOLES THAT'S RIGHT ALL OF YOUR FUCKING
    HOLES YOU PIECE OF MOTHERFUCKING GARBAGE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH WORDS IN
    THE GODDAMN DICTIONARY FOR ME TO USE TO DESCRIBE MY UNYIELDING HATRED
    FOR YOU BUTTHOLE I TOLD YOU I NEVER WANTED TO SEE YOU AGAIN IT WAS THAT
    SIMPLE BUT NO YOU SCRAWNY LITTLE SHIT HAD YOU REAR YOU UGLY ASS FACE
    AGAIN FUCK YOU CUNT YOU RUINED MY LIFE PIECE OF GODDAMN MOTHERFUDGING
    PIECE OF GOAT CHEESE CHUGGING DITCH ASS CUNT RECTAL WART PUSSY COCK
    BARBRA STREISAND!

AND FUCK YOU SIDEWAYS

v YES
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Did you fuckle with Shuckle?
  • Eurgh, /vp/ memes.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Well, my Red and Crystal biodexes are coming nicely

Phanpy are still cowardly assholes, though
  • edited 2013-01-07 14:29:15
    Do you think we'll be getting Hoenn remakes or a new game today?

inb4 "yes".
  • POKEEEMOOOOOOOOON asdasfaffa *explodes*
  • also I like the new fire and water starters. Not feeling the plant so much.
  • edited 2013-01-08 10:03:06

I wonder if the X and Y are hinting at Groudon and Kyogre.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

also I like the new fire and water starters. Not feeling the plant so much.

Same here. I know it's a break from the usual reptile/dinosaur theme for grass starters, but I'm not a big fan of cutesy chipmunks.

I'm also hoping the fire and water starters won't be too much like the Vulpix and Poliwag families.
  • also I like the new fire and water starters. Not feeling the plant so much.

Same here. I know it's a break from the usual reptile/dinosaur theme for grass starters, but I'm not a big fan of cutesy chipmunks.

I'm also hoping the fire and water starters won't be too much like the Vulpix and Poliwag families.
    But then you could have a Battletoads team.

EEEE CUTIES!~ :D
  • I want a Fennekin, seriously that is just way too adora8le for words.
  • If you play the Pokemon XXXX and the Pokemon YYYY, you will be sucked.
  • I just noticed in the video all the new starters use 2 attacks

based on what the attacks look like, i'd wager that Chespin is grass/dark, Fennikin is a fire/physic, and Froakie is water/fighting.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Xerneas and Yveltal
  • Naney said:

I just noticed in the video all the new starters use 2 attacks

based on what the attacks look like, i'd wager that Chespin is grass/dark, Fennikin is a fire/physic, and Froakie is water/fighting.

I'm fairly confident Froakie is water/ice.

• Xerneas and Yveltal

wow they look like something you would use as a username. :P
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ So THAT'S why they looked so familiar...
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Kakuna Rattata, what a Koffing-filled Haze. Kakuna Rattata, ain't no mere Night Daze! It means top percentage for the rest of your days! It's our Paras free~ hive of Combee~ Kakuna Rattata!
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I want to see a massive toad dressed up as a conductor with a baton

His name? Maestroad
  • I smell the blood of PurpleKecleon on those pictures.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Xerneas: 9'10" (3 m)

Yveltal: 19' (5.8 m)
  • I finally start my Emerald Randomizer Nuzlocke challenge. My starter choices?

I think I’m fucking set and this is gonna be the easiest nuzlocke ever. And then I start the first battle.

I AM SO FURIOUS BUT I CAN’T STOP LAUGHING AT HOW FAST I FAILED THIS CHALLENGE

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Starters confirmed as pure Water Grass Fire types!

...Yeah that was expected for the first stages BUT STILL NEWS somehow!
  • I was still holding out for 3 Fire/Fightings.