Pokémon

Comments

• edited 2012-08-26 10:35:27
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    So, the Pokémon Power Bracket from a few weeks ago just ended. The final four were Mew, Celebi, Mewtwo, and Rayquaza. Mew ended up winning.

I would've liked Celebi to win, but Mew's an okay choice for a winner.
  • May replay my old Pokemon Blue game.

Need PC name and starter name (and what starter I should get).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-08-26 18:32:52
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'll second the Bulbasaur vote. As for the nickname, how about Canna? It seems like an appropriately flowery name.

Coincidentally, it's also Lorelei's name in the Japanese version.
  • Heh. Bulbasaur is awesome. The starter on my last playthrough was also a Bulbasaur. I called it Tentacles.
  • edited 2012-08-26 19:29:36
    Glad to hear you like Bulbasaur too!

And if you wanted a more masculine name instead, you could go with Nemo, after this flower.

Not that it really matters too much, since gendered Pokémon don't exist in Blue.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Hey, guys. Guess what it's time for? That's right. Another doublepost necro.

I sampled the first few minutes of White 2 a little bit ago. The game certainly gets right to the point. It's kinda funny how pretty much the second line of dialogue is, "Hey, we've got a starter Pokémon and a Pokédex for you. You know the drill, so get going!"

I'm having trouble thinking of names for my rival and my Snivy. I'm thinking of naming my rival Mark. It makes kind of a color pun; leaving marks on paper? Yes, I know it's dumb. Snivy's name, on the other hand, I don't know whether I want to be mythology-themed or plant-themed or game character-themed or whatever. pls halp
  • is your Snivy a boy or a girl?

If it's a girl, name it Botanica.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I was aiming for a girl. I'll keep that one in mind.

As a random note of reference, the Snivy I had on my first run of White 1 was a boy named Keela, after the villain of Legacy of the Wizard.

Also, Lazuli, you might be interested to know that the default name for the boy trainer in this game is Nate.
  • Heeey, I just bought White 2 myself.

First purchase w/ my new debit card.
  • Whoa, they give you running shoes and the whole tutorial spiel almost immediately.

suhweeet
  • Regular DS, I don'ts got a 3DS
  • edited 2012-10-07 21:17:41
    Yep, just the DS. There are a few extra benefits if you have a 3DS, but they're not really necessary.

Also, what the balls kind of name is Floccessy Town? I know it's a type of cloud, but still.
  • actually, "Floccessy" is probably the most town-like name for a town I've yet heard from a Pokemon game.

• actually, "Floccessy" is probably the most town-like name for a town I've yet heard from a Pokemon game.

Pewter?
    Speaking of town-like names, I could easily imagine someone naming a port town Lilycove.
  • Well when I hear "pewter" I think the material.

Floccessy, assuming it's pronounced with hard C's (knowing me it probably ain't, but whatever) actually sounds like a name a town would have. 

Sounds like a British hamlet, specifically.

• So when I get B2 or W2, I'm going to be naming my trainer Maribel and getting a Pignite named Waddles. Why? Well....
    This is how my first Gym Leader Battle just went:

"Heh, this is gonna be easy. That Patrat went down in two turns."
    "WHAT?! I DIED TO HIS LILLIPUP?! Man, what a waste of two Potions."

Derp.
  • Just beat Clay, loving this game.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    That first gym was easy

"Mareep, paralyze. Switch in Azurill as a sacrifice. Switch in Pidove as a free switch. Leer. Growl whenever he uses Work Up. Murder"
  • Waitwaitwait YOU CAN CATCH A MAREEP IN B2/W2?

BEFORE THE FIRST GYM?

all my envy

all

of

it.

I had neither Mareep, Azurill, nor Pidove. I was trying to do it solely with my Snivy and Riolu, both level 12. Oddly, things worked out a lot better when I decided to use Empress Botanica as my opener instead of Lei-long.

I've fallen a little behind (by which I mean I'm still inbetween the first and second gym) because I can't decide who I want to catch. I have, however, caught a Serene Grace Dunsparce today and named him Hypnos.

Do you think we should make a separate thread devoted to our travelogs for new Pokémon games?
  • edited 2012-10-10 19:23:17
    ^^Yep. There's a whole bunch of stuff you can catch in Floccessy Ranch.
  • Why does everyone have a Riolu?

also holy shit, Dunsparce? Otherwise known as the most underrated Pokemon of all time?

• edited 2012-10-10 19:50:30
    Because thanks to the animated trailer, everyone and their grandmother wants a Lucario and an Arcanine on their team. I decided to pick one to stick with, and I know Lucario a little better.

Also yep. I wish to see the wonders of paraflinching for myself.
  • I had one named Spacecase as part of my team back in gradeschool when G/S/C was out.

Good times.

• Pokerus. My team has it.

Dewott, Flaaffy & Zoroark are great together.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I just like Lucario and wanted a fire type so got Growlithe. I completely forgot about the trailer

And why won't my Riolu love me!? ;.;
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Training for the 3rd gym :D
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Gawd I hate those sewers
  • battling ghetsis, much easier than last time. <= not sure if spoiler.
  • edited 2012-10-12 14:12:39
    Have you found the Eevee place yet?

I can't decide whether I should make myself a Vaporeon, Umbreon, or Leafeon. I used a Dream World Jolteon in White 1, so I thought I should go for something different. Of course, in theory, I could have all three...

^Wow, that was fast. And yeah, I've heard it's a lot easier than last time.
  • I'm a bit disappointed in some ways, between the 3 legendary musketeers, Zoroark & your starter there isn't a lot of work you have to do.

Espec. given the sheer number of major enemies that have nothing useful against fighting types.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ That's why I only use one legendary at a time typically

And where IS the Eevee place?
    I'm at the Virbank Complex. I want an Elekid. He (or possibly she) shall be my sincere ogre paladin who wears armor and needs Order.

Not even my Great Balls are catching one. What the balls, game?

So yeah, apparently Elekid has a ridiculously low catch rate. My only good chance will be if I have a sleep-inducing move, which I lack. Any suggestions?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Catch Mareep. Paralyze the Elekid
  • edited 2012-10-12 22:18:30
    I've got another idea, though it requires me to go out of my comfort zone a bit. See, Dunsparce learns Yawn at Level 16, so I can make Hypnos live up to his name and put the Elekid to sleep. I shall have to grind a bit. Wish me luck.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Fucking hate my White Nuzlocke

Been doing it since March 7th

Have yet to finish even the main story of Black/White due to it
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ One day I will have a Shiny Rattata with perfect IVs and a perfect nature

And I will name him Joey
  • >acquire Pokemon Black 2
    >start a new game
    >female trainer named Kyoko

Let's fucken do this.
    Awesome! I think that makes two of us with White 2 and two of us with Black 2.

In other news, female Eevee are a total pain in the butt to get in the Castelia City courtyard, even with repels.
  • ooh, nice opening.

Reminds me a bit of the bygone G/S/C days for some reason.

It's a whole new world we live in
    it's a whole new place
    with a brand new attitude
    but'cha still gotta catch 'em all
    and be the best that you can be 

[epic chorus]

I like Bianca's new glasses. And her choice of career, partly because Pokémon researcher sounds like the occupation I would gravitate toward if I was a Pokémon character.
  • I think my starter shall be Tepig, as it's the only B/W starter I have yet to use.

Also firetypelol.

Now the name, the name is another matter entirely.

• Actually, I think I'll just skip names this time around, I suck at coming up with them.