Pokémon

Comments

• also I keep being really paranoid with my Eevee because I want to get its friendhip value as high as possible.

Unrelatedly, the day-night cycle in this game just kind of seems to not work in certain places. It's clearly night in the city, but plainly daytime in the desert. Very strange.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm not worried about my soon-to-be Umbreon fainting because I want to evolve him on his first level-up. This, however, brings a few other problems with it (yay step-grinding). I probably wouldn't do this if I could get an Eevee just a tad below level 18 in this game, but oh well.
  • My Eevee's at 22 already and has yet to evolve.

Though leveling up apparently increases happiness by a few points.

• edited 2012-10-16 20:51:13
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    It should be 2-5, like Icamirjde said. So Gar's probably getting friendlier more quickly than you think.

By the way, how many of the Eeveelutions have you tried out for yourself? The only one I've actually trained is Jolteon. He's served me well, but I'm thinking about trying the other ones I like in this game.
  • All of the basic elemental stone ones, but that was a long time ago.

I never could figure out how to evolve them into Umbreon or Espeon back in Gen II. I haven't really had an Eevee since, and I skipped Gen IV due to a disinterest in the franchise at the time, so I've never done Glaceon or Leafeon either, and in fact, don't know how to get them (I assume the latter is a Leaf Stone, but maybe not).

• Hey, I just realized that if you use the movie studio at Pokestar, your character actually talks for the first time since Generation I.

That's frankly astounding.

• edited 2012-10-16 21:15:19
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Good guess, but Leafeon and Glaceon actually evolve in a different way that can be a little frustrating.

You're supposed to find an area where there's either a moss-covered rock or an ice-covered rock sitting on the ground. There is exactly one of each of these in Sinnoh and Unova (but not Johto in HG/SS for some reason). Then you level up your Eevee there.

In Unova, these areas are Pinwheel Forest for Leafeon and the basement of Twist Mountain for Glaceon. But in Black and White 2, they're both post-Elite Four. :|
  • That's hilariously annoying.

Anyway, I just met Nate.

I am miffed by people who share my name.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I did warn you that that was the default name for the boy trainer. :P

And yes it is. But that's not going to stop me from trying out Leafeon at some point.
  • There goes a boy with a palmtree on his head.

Anyway, that was....something. Subway Bosses indeed.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Gator: If you want to, you can trade Eevee to my White version and I can evolve it for you
  • Garfield I gave you five Qualot berries and you still won't evolve what the hell bro.
  • edited 2012-10-16 22:08:03
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Where the fuck did you find five Qualot berries!? Those give 10 happiness a piece!

EDIT: 5 a piece after 100 happiness. 2 a piece after 200 happiness

Assuming your Eevee started with 70 Happiness, it would take 33 berries to get him to the amount of happiness needed to evolve
  • There's a guy to the west of Nimbasa who sells you five a day.
  • I don't suppose you'd know what I had to do if I leveled it up to 24 (caught it at 18) gave it one vitamin, gave it five Qualots, and then handed it a Soothe Bell? It also fainted once.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    In what order?

The order is important. If you gave the berries before leveling, it would have a different happiness than after
  • got it to 22 (I think) gave it the vitamin, got it to 24, gave it the berries, then gave it the Soothe Bell, and just now leveled it up again.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Ok, give me a few minutes
  • Danke.

He also fainted once in there somewhere, but I don't remember where.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    At worst? 131

At best? 139

Bulbapedia doesn't know the exact numbers for levelling up, so it affected the numbers slightly depending on if I use the lower number or higher number

Remember, you need 220 happiness
  • Wow, OK so this is going to take quite awhile.

Phooey. I don't remember it being this hard for Levanny.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Oh, as a note, walking DOES increase happiness 1 point for every 256 steps

So this is all assuming you did it in 255 steps

So the happiness is probably MUCH higher
  • edited 2012-10-16 22:25:15
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    And fainting, no matter how much happiness, only removes one point of happiness

So don't worry too much about fainting
  • I suppose I could just

sorta

spin in circles for awhile.

• I also wanna level up Mufasa, because FUCK YEAH ANTLION THAT FOR SOME REASON TURNS INTO A DRAGONFLY THAT'S ALSO A DRAGON.
  • edited 2012-10-16 22:27:58
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^^ Hatch eggs

Or play my favourite game: Bike around Castelia City while trying to run over people!

Oh, the Soothe Bell increases happiness gained by 1.5, rounded down. Although it may affect steps differently so yeah

EDIT: My strategy is to level up ALL MY OTHER Pokemon first
  • I'm trying to grind everyone up to Level 25. Huge level gap between the desert and the areas near Nimbasa.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ I'm trying to level up to level 25 before even facing Burgh...

Am I really overlevelling?
  • Oh wait you're Nuzlocking.

I don't know, then.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Not Nuzlocking White 2
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    That reminds me, I have an unfinished Soul Silver Nuzlocke with an Entei that replaced my dead Quilava...

...8D
  • Oh, then yeah. Overlevelling like fuck. I've only started running into 25ers in Nimbasa.
  • edited 2012-10-17 03:50:32
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Just to show how much biking helps:

My Eevee was caught at level 19. Just now, he - only three massages, no vitamins or berries - evolved into an Umbreon at level 21
  • But biking is for people who don't want to remove their ears every time they hear the biking theme.

Also I'd personally be fine with either an Espeon or an Umbreon. So I might just do it tomorrow, though I also wanna get an update of my Tohomon LP in tomorrow.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Start biking near a street in Castelia, then enter it. It resets the song
  • edited 2012-10-17 15:09:23

Gator: If you want to, you can trade Eevee to my White version and I can evolve it for you

Thanks for the offer, but I have a DS Phat and a 3DS. When I get around to evolving Leafeon, I'll trade the Eevee over to my own White.

There's a guy to the west of Nimbasa who sells you five a day.

Awesome! I've been wondering how I'm gonna get those.
  • >Congratulations! Your Garfield has evolved into Umbreon!

FUCKYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUH

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    So your Umbreon is overweight, lazy, and likes lasagna?
  • Why do I get the distinct feeling that my computer will be infected with every virus if I click that link?
  • It won't. It's by the same artist that writes Tiny Kitten Teeth.

Think fakemon in a retro style reminiscent of Golden Books.
  • edited 2012-10-18 21:08:41
    Hapynese is my favorite from what I've skimmed over.

I wonder what Toveawhile is supposed to be.
  • On the subject of Fakemon.

We already have 8 developers and are topping out at 12. So come with ideas--good ones--if you want in.

If not, still a fun thing to follow. I'm hoping this actually goes somewhere, most of the difficulty is in convincing Nova to settle for the Gen III engine. :/

• edited 2012-10-18 21:42:59
    Something interesting that the guys in that thread brought up: what if there were more Pokémon games that took place in an environment that wasn't mostly temperate mountains and forests?

Colosseum and XD did a desert, and I know you guys are doing one too. Tropical rainforests are a bit of a clichéd choice, but they might work. If there was a way to make a marine environment varied and interesting as far as Pokémon species, I'd be all for that too.

This is also reminding me of that dream I had a long time ago where I caught a Stantler, a pink Scraggy, and the ghost of a dragon trapped in an incense burner in a state park I've been to a few times. I wonder how a granite outcrop would look in a Pokémon game.
    Gah, I know I've seen Super Saiyan Hugh somewhere, but I can't remember where.