Forum Software FAQs [updated 23 Jan 2013]

edited 2013-01-23 19:04:28 in Administrivia

How do I quote a post?

This is now easier than ever: Simply hit the Quote button on any post!

If you want to make a quote box without quoting another post, the easiest way is to simply highlight the text you want to quote and press the image Indent button in the editor.  In the editor you'll only see an indent (or a blue box), but when you post it should look something like this:

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things."

The exact implementation seems to vary by browser, so yours may not look exactly like my example, but it will be similar enough to get the point across.

How do I embed a YouTube video?

Simply copy-paste the video's URL into the edit box.

The parser can be very particular, unfortunately. The URL has to be exactly in the form of  ID]

Some browsers (including Google Chrome) try to convert the URL to a link by default. If you want an embedded video instead, you'll either have to use the image Paste as Plain Text feature or use the image Remove Hyperlink button after pasting.

Why doesn't my link or embedded image work?

When you go to insert a link or image, the editor already has the http:// prefix filled in.

If the URL you're pasting already starts with http://, make sure you delete the extra one, or your image or link won't work.

image image

If other people still can't see the image, it's likely the site hosting the image blocks hotlinking. Just post it as a link or upload it elsewhere, such as Imgur.

How do I get a username with spaces?

Unfortunately, the software does not allow new accounts to be created with spaces in the name. If you would like a space in your username, post a request in the name-change thread and a member of the staff will change it for you.

Can I change my format for post timestamps?

Yes you can! From your profile page, simply click Custom Date Settings. You can choose between 7 predefined formats or create a custom format.

How can I make spoiler boxes?

[spoiler]It's bigger on the inside![/spoiler]

[spoiler]It's bigger on the inside![/spoiler]

Tagged:

Comments

This discussion has been closed.