The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Asmodai is explicitly mentioned in a John Bellairs book, so I knew about said demon at a fairly young age. Apparently he was also the demon in Solomon's ring.
  • kill living beings
    also, as far as redwall's snakes go i was more disturbed by berussca's children.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Come on rock me asmodeus
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Zassaliss, Harssacss, Sesstra.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I never read any of Redwall

I think I might've missed something
  • edited 2017-07-11 00:28:31
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Zassaliss, Harssacss,and Sesstra. Yeah, nightmares there, too, but I gotta give it to Asmodeus for his lair. Heads and wings and tails, corpse and trophies and treasures everywhere in a twisting expanse of dark and silent tunnels.

I guess the difference for me is the reason for them stinking of death. Zassaliss, Harssacss, and Sesstra have the scent of death from their fused, rotting bodies. Asmodeus has the smell of death everywhere in his lair so you can't smell him coming. Asmodeus moves silently, the children of Berussca gotta scrape the chain and rotted tails on the ground as they move, which is creepy but in a different way.

I prefer,"oh crap, where the heck is it" monsters to "oh crap, here it comes" monsters. More anxiety and less horror.
  • kill living beings
    jeez, i barely remember redwall despite that i must have read at least a dozen novels

the three of em spooked me out just cos they were like... stuck like that. like it was kind of sad?

not that they were also killers and all
  • huh, that stuff is from after I stopped reading

idk if this means I'm old or if I just stopped reading them at a younger age
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    And, for that reason, I was more scared of Darth Maul than I was of Darth Vader as a little kid. At least Vader I can hear coming.

Considering Vader's physical condition, the comparison with Berussca's children works pretty well.
    Triss was published in 2002, so.
  • edited 2017-07-11 00:38:23
    I mean that only makes me nine

maybe I was still reading em but was far enough behind that I never got to that one

I checked the list and the one immediately before it is the last one I remember reading, so
  • kill living beings
    >2011
    >reading books in an order

I never read any of Redwall

I think I might've missed something

I was somewhat opposed to the idea of making predators default villains instead of, y'know, acknowledging that maybe it's kind of lame to have to eat other sentient beings to live. So I never read them.
  • edited 2017-07-11 00:58:46
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I never stopped reading Redwall.    My brother bought all of the books up to Rakkety Tam, except  Salamandastron, Pearls of Lutra and The Long Patrol. Those, and the ones after Rakkety Tam, I read from the library.

I keep forgetting Salamandastron exists, I know it's surprisingly early in Publication Order.  Published before Marlfox.

Also, Outcast of Redwall  was always my least favorite of the pre-Marlfox books.

Legend of Luke was either right before or right after Marlfox.  The ones after those two, I haven't read as many times.

See, when I was a kid, the then-current series I looked forward to most were Redwall, Harry Potter, and Star Wars

Hmm, publication order without looking it up...

Redwall, Mossflower, Mattimeo, Mariel of Redwall, I think maybe Martin the Warrior or The Bellmaker, Salamandastron's in there somewhere, also Pearls of Lutra and The Long Patrol, probably after Outcast of Redwall which is in there somewhere, and then Marlfox and Legend of Luke.  Before Marlfox and after Mariel of Redwall it gets a bit fuzzy, and then it goes Taggerung, Loamhenge, Triss, and Rakkety Tam.  Then Eulalia, and crap, twelve-year-old me would be so disappointed in current me.
  • >2011

>reading books in an order
    oh I definitely didn't do that
  • kill living beings
    as far as i remember redwall was chronologically all over the place, and publication order is boring, so like whatever man.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    speaking of reading books in order

where the fuck do you start with discworld
  • kill living beings
    i guess one that's independent would be good

i read uh... equal rites first, and that went well enough

really independent ones are probably Monstrous Regiment and Small Gods, which i liked both of

(Start with Small Gods, because it's standalone and really good.)
  • edited 2017-07-11 01:21:35
    kill living beings
    this isn't a reading order, it's a chronology... pah

as evidenced with the "industrial" starting with moving pictures and including monstrous regiment. going postal was the big one for industrialization.
    thanks, y'all!!

i think i tried to read, uh...the christmas one when i was younger and i was uninterested so i'm p sure this will go better

as evidenced with the "industrial" starting with moving pictures and including monstrous regiment. pah. going postal was the big one for industrialization.
    I mean, you're meant to read them chronologically, so!
  • kill living beings

meant to

fuck da police
  • kill living beings
    I mean like yeah, if you read e.g. one of the later watch novels first, and Vimes is a superintendent, that would be weird. and i could keep talking about this but i just noticed it's what the dotted lines are for, so forget it
  • Why would you ever suggest that someone start with Mort?

Start with Soul Music. It's technically in the middle of Death/Susan's story, chronologically, but it's a much better introduction to Death's world than Mort and, imo, a stronger novel in general.
    My first Discworld book was Monstrous Regiment, which was an... interesting introduction.
  • Though this is someone who got into Discworld by reading Thief of Time first, of all things, so tiny grain of salt.

Then again, Soul Music was my second book, so it balances out.

as evidenced with the "industrial" starting with moving pictures and including monstrous regiment. pah. going postal was the big one for industrialization.
    I mean, you're meant to read them chronologically, so!
    I mean, so long as it's not too dependent on knowledge of prior events in the series for context and overall satisfaction, I think it's kind of moot? Like, you can start with Small Gods to get a feel for what the books are like and then read something like The Colour of Magic, Equal Rites or Mort and proceed forward.

That said, I started Thud! ages ago and have yet to finish it (although I quite liked it), but I never felt confused in the slightest.
    Okay so you watch Episodes 4 and 5, then you do the entire prequel trilogy, THEN you watch 6.

After this you watch the Holiday Special, the Droids cartoon, Howard the Duck, and the two Ewoks movies before watching, in one sitting, No Country For Old Men and that fan edit of Phantom Menace that removes Jar-Jar
  • kill living beings
    there's probably not a best introduction. there's just a lot of stuff going on.
  • kill living beings
    i have a signed copy of thud. but instead of talking to him i swallowed my tongue. sad but true. now i can't talk
    I think the consensus here is either that there is no consensus or anywhere works because Pterry is great.
  • edited 2017-07-11 01:34:33
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The thing is, the individual series (in particular the Guards and Death books) do tend to pretty tightly intertwined. Witches and Rincewind are looser (outside of like, the Tiffany Aching books), but.
  • kill living beings

I think the consensus here is either that there is no consensus or anywhere works because Pterry is great.

me and tensei both said small gods, so it's law now.

The thing is, the individual series (in particular the Guards and Death books) do tend to pretty tightly intertwined. Witches and Rincewind are looser (outside of like, the Tiffany Aching books), but.

thus the independent ones

or a starter i guess. i mean i liked equal rites. starting with color of magic might be weird. it's kind of... eighties
  • Odradek said:

Okay so you watch Episodes 4 and 5, then you do the entire prequel trilogy, THEN you watch 6.

After this you watch the Holiday Special, the Droids cartoon, Howard the Duck, and the two Ewoks movies before watching, in one sitting, No Country For Old Men and that fan edit of Phantom Menace that removes Jar-Jar
    No Barton Fink vs Jango, smh

Seriously though, Pratchett went out of his way to make most of his books readable even if you haven't read the other books in the series. The plot usually has bits and pieces that are helped by prior knowledge, but everything's relatively self-contained.

Like I said, I read Thief of Time first. Carpe Jugulum was my first Witches novel. I got into Rincewind at The Last Continent, and if Sourcery was my first introduction to Discworld, I might not have found it so likable. You pick whatever book seems the most interesting and damn the continuity.

Also, under no circumstances should you read Colour of Magic first. Everyone agrees that the early Rincewind novels are a bit weak due to Pratchett working out the subtleties of his style.
  • kill living beings
    i liked the nuclear safety joke though. that's choice. i can almost recite it from memory and i haven't read that book in probably ten god damned years
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

it's possible he mentioned asmodeus and i missed it, but i find that hard to believe, because fucking asmodeus, who i thought was a dnd invention

asmodeus was not mentioned.  there was a ceremony in the church the day before (which was the official ceremony) with just our families and he mentioned more explicitly that the previous seven husbands died but not that she was cursed by asmodeus
  • The boyfriend is going to university! :D
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    @Calica You may be the only person in history who has ever had to clarify "Asmodeus was not mentioned by the officiant at my wedding."
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Also it's kind of funny how "oh yeah there was an extra wedding the day before" is pretty much an open secret
    i fell asleep and then i woke up and chelsea manning's a furry now

i'm glad she's enjoying herself
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "licks paw" because we can't see that for ourselves
  • when will Chelsea's fursona fight Milo's fursona
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

@Calica You may be the only person in history who has ever had to clarify "Asmodeus was not mentioned by the officiant at my wedding."

nah, tobit's one of the specific suggested choices by the catholic church
  • edited 2017-07-12 00:07:35
    kill living beings
    it's just solid advice for those married couples that are demon-haunted: don't fuck.
  • kill living beings
    cheese and bread is proving to be a better snack than junk food. more filling, so i want less and it ends up being cheaper. dunno if it's any less healthy though.
  • don't fuck without praying for protection first. that's what broke the pattern of dead husband/unconsummated marriage