• kill living beings
    Odradek said:

geez, it's true what they say about hegel being hard to read
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    That's clearly Carnap you nerd
  • kill living beings
    where the fucuk are all the weird symbols then huhc
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    sometimes I feel weird about how I see Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door as an object of good wholesome childhood nostalgia even though the hub world is a town inhabited by criminals literally named "Rogueport"
    with a gallows in the town square
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Well, it acknowledges immorality instead of just brushing it aside
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    That time Mario literally curried favour with the Mafia.
    I was just thinking about how the blimp and train tickets could not be conventionally purchased, no, they had to be obtained from the mob

(Though Glitzville seems like it's mostly for rich people, and the Excess Express IS for rich people)
  • I want to believe that there's a Mafia enforcer who really wanted his son to think his job was cool and leaned on his Yazuka contacts to make that happen
    Real sad the Tokyo Yakuza couldn't do their annual halloween party for the kids because of gang war

I want to believe that there's a Mafia enforcer who really wanted his son to think his job was cool and leaned on his Yazuka contacts to make that happen

http://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html
    Totally canon Mario facts:

Mario and Luigi are the mob's chief enforcers and hitmen. When Donkey "The Kongpin" Kong kidnapped the don's daughter, Peach, they were sent in to rescue her, as well as in a bid to consolidate power.

Years later, with The Princess now at the helm, the Mushroom "Kingdom" has expanded to become the world's leading criminal organisation, and the bright-eyed young police inspector Bowser, angered by the unchecked crime around him, makes a bid to stamp it out. He succeeds in arresting Peach, but Mario and Luigi are sent in to break her out of jail. From this day forth, Bowser makes it his personal mission to put the Mario Bros. away.

After countless failures, through no fault of his own, a world-weary, cynical, and jaded Bowser joins an illegal street racing circle, making one last bid to deal with the mob for good.
    Memento Mori
    lolz
    Odradek said:

Memento Mori

"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey, one is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler’s story live on, treasured by those who bid him farewell."
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Maybe a computer-type person can explain to me: why do wireless mice and keyboards need their own USB dongles? Why can't they be designed to make use of the computer's built-in wireless functionality?
    Because most computers don't have built in wireless.
    "dongle" is a funny word
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Because most computers don't have built in wireless.

Even nowadays? That's...surprising

I just kind of assumed that since laptops come with wi-fi and Bluetooth built in, desktops would too

There's really no reason not to, unless you're extreme about cutting costs
    My new desktop has built in wireless, and my previous desktop (from 2011) did too.
    The plural of anecdote is not potato.
  • kill living beings
    Like, what, an internal antenna on the mobo? I don't see a lot of point when it's easy to have it on pci like normal

Like, what, an internal antenna on the mobo? I don't see a lot of point when it's easy to have it on pci like normal

No, that's not what I mean. I was counting PCI as "built-in", as contrasted with something that plugs into a USB port.

If my computer already supports Bluetooth I don't see why I shouldn't just be able to use that for a mouse.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I bought a motherboard for work years ago that had built-in Bluetooth, but apparently built-in Wi-Fi was beyond the pale even for that.
  • Like, what, an internal antenna on the mobo? I don't see a lot of point when it's easy to have it on pci like normal

No, that's not what I mean. I was counting PCI as "built-in", as contrasted with something that plugs into a USB port.

If my computer already supports Bluetooth I don't see why I shouldn't just be able to use that for a mouse.
    I'm pretty sure most desktops do not support Bluetooth by default. That said, you can pretty easily just buy a Bluetooth USB dongle and use that for all wireless devices, so I suspect it's mostly just inertia that wireless mice and stuff aren't usually Bluetooth-based.
  • kill living beings

oh. yeah. well, if you already have bluetooth you might be able to, it would just take hacking i.e. support on the computer end. mouse and keyboard manufacturers probably don't bother so much because a usb stick is definitely easier than configuring software, and more like how it used to work.
  • it's weird that Harald Bluetooth's name is associated with technology he'd probably consider black magic.
  • kill living beings
    Jane said:

it's weird that Harald Bluetooth's name is associated with technology he'd probably consider black magic.

it really is. why is it even like that?
    Wikipedia said:

The idea of this name was proposed in 1997 by Jim Kardach who developed a system that would allow mobile phones to communicate with computers. At the time of this proposal he was reading Frans G. Bengtsson's historical novel The Long Ships about Vikings and King Harald Bluetooth.[10][11] The implication is that Bluetooth does the same with communications protocols, uniting them into one universal standard.[12]

uh... okay.

my desktop (which i built, so defaults are not involved) doesn't have bluetooth, but i guess i could get it for my headset. then i'd be able to walk around and listen to music or take calls. which i can already do, but only with my phone which does have bluetooth. Technology
    Jane said:

it's weird that Harald Bluetooth's name is associated with technology he'd probably consider black magic.

I...totally would have assumed this was a shitpost if not for Nitya's response.
  • kill living beings
    nah, there aren't a lot of things in this world called "bluetooth", central.
  • It seems to be just easier and a better idea to have a dongle and thus have a dedicated line of communication directly between the dongle (attached to a computer through a port with universal standards) and the wireless mouse/keyboard, than to try to route yet one more thing through the computer's wireless card, which might not have the proper configuration to support whatever the mouse's wifi is doing.

(Not to mention the even stupider idea of piping mouse motions through the wifi router to the computer.)

Also, bluetooth is just weird.
  • It's thought that his nickname "bluetooth" (blátǫnn) actually meant something more akin to "dark tooth". Ie. he had a conspicuously rotten tooth.
    Little known fact: Blackbeard got his name not from his fondness for facial hair, but because he filled his drinks with pitch.

(Ok, maybe not.)
    He also loved the song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, as recorded in the historical film Pan
    I always hated the name Bluetooth, but knowing that it comes from some 10th-century king makes it kinda better
  • I always hated the name Bluetooth, but knowing that it comes from some 10th-century king makes it kinda better

...and the logo is a fucking rune

Holy fuck
  • actually it's two runes overlaid on top of one another
    how very Tolkienian
    Hagall and Bjarkan.
  • kill living beings
    i keep thinking one of my senators is named "Maxwell" (it's "Cantwell") so i google "washington senators" to check and get the baseball team
  • My flat mate, who did sports therapy, massaged my shoulders to relieve the tension.

Her words were: "holy shit, your shoulders are like a rock"
  • kill living beings
    this company has a science officer named "Engineer"
    Does it have an engineer called "Chef"?
  • kill living beings
    i found another Engineer and they wrote a paper together. unbelievable
    the ancient samurai clans of Wujick and Rosenstein.
  • kill living beings
    Crystal the Engineer (!)