General Video Game Thread

Comments

• I'm sorry but I realize cost is a barrier to entry but how can we start to talk about how things feel to play if we have not played them.

I'm just deferring to (comparative) experts, which is what I always do.
  • Demos?

(Though those pose their own problems, like whether or not the slice of the game you get is actually representative of the entire thing, fine-tuning that went into the final game that the demo lacks, etc.)

ah well
  • Most games don't have those anymore.

Off hand I don't know if MN9 does but I'd guess not.
  • Sorry that came out as cattier than I intended it.

I just feel like things like game-feel are sort of the sort of thing you have to actually play the game to experience you know

but by all accounts it is pretty bad so I don't know why I even care that you said that in the first place. 
  • Jane said:

Sorry that came out as cattier than I intended it.

I just feel like things like game-feel are sort of the sort of thing you have to actually play the game to experience you know

but by all accounts it is pretty bad so I don't know why I even care that you said that in the first place. 
    I mean I guess you'll just have to take this one on faith but I have a pretty good instinct on this kind of thing.
  • At least, I think I do
  • Maybe you do. I dunno.

Like I said if what I read was anything to go by you're right anyway so in this particular case it doesn't really matter.
  • Jane said:

is it true that Mighty No. 9 sucks

Every review I've seen has been seriously negative.

Consensus seems to be that if you're really into Mega Man you'll like it well enough but it's not otherwise recommendable.
    actually i'd say if you're really into Mega Man -- as in if you're seriously wishing for this game to reinvent Mega Man and bring back the freshness of the experiences you had but with the same old platforming goodness -- you'll hate it

otherwise it's an okay platformer
  • edited 2016-10-01 04:15:12
    TitleName said:

Bee I will fight you over that. >:T

I feel they aged fine enough.

i love the classic MM games, but by that I mean Mega Man 4 through 6, while I don't like Mega Man 1 through 3 as much, while for most people they love Mega Man 1 through 3 -- especially 2 -- and feel a lot less enthused about 4 through 6

Kexruct said:

Yeah, same.

Haven't played MN9 but it looks a lot floatier and like it just doesn't feel as good to hold in your hands as the originals. It seems a lot less focused.

the jumping doesn't feel floaty and the controls actually feel reasonably tight in my opinion

i did have to turn down the settings to make my computer able to run it at full speed though

also there is a demo of MN9 floating around from the kickstarter but i don't think it's an official thing meant to act as a demo to new players now
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-01 09:11:40
    Jane said:

I'm sure you think the series is Just Terrible and you can think that

I don't think the series is terrible at all.  I said in that post that I dust off Anniversary Collection every once in a while and still enjoy it.  I just said it didn't age particularly well by the standards of modern games, which is the lens people are going to approach it with unless you make it outright retro like MM9/10.
    Kexruct said:

Yeah, same.

Haven't played MN9 but it looks a lot floatier and like it just doesn't feel as good to hold in your hands as the originals. It seems a lot less focused.

I can see that.  A lot of games these days try to do too much, and Mega Man is particularly susceptible to it because people bitch when it feels too samey.  And then they subsequently bitch when they try something new, because the series' trappings are unusually rigid compared to most and it's really hard to do a clean variation of it.

The dash system they used was risky and didn't quite pay off the way they hoped.
  • I don't like that there is this sort of ongoing discussion in game criticism circles (both amateur and professional) about what constitutes a "walking sim" (or EEGs or whatever you want to call them) and those discussions always, always, always paint Dear Esther as the first one.

I have no problem with Dear Esther and I actually like that game quite a lot, but saying that it's the first game of its type is just wrong. The LSD Dream Emulator came out in 1998. Ignoring it and its descendants (most notably Yume Nikki) is just leaving out a huge chunk of gaming history--almost 20 years--for no reason.

I'd like to think it's not because "lol weird Japanese games" but idk maybe it is.
  • I'm honestly considering, next time I have money, buying article space on RockPaperShotgun (which you can do, though I don't know how expensive it is. That's what those "Contributor Posts" are) to try to put together an argument as to why it should be considered but I am not terribly articulate so that's probably a poor idea.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.

I don't like that there is this sort of ongoing discussion in game criticism circles (both amateur and professional) about what constitutes a "walking sim" (or EEGs or whatever you want to call them) and those discussions always, always, always paint Dear Esther as the first one.

Dear Esther is probably the first game to be called  a walking sim (in the pejorative sense, at least), which is a historical point worth making, but it's always good to acknowledge a genre's antecedents
  • I'm honestly considering, next time I have money, buying article space on RockPaperShotgun (which you can do, though I don't know how expensive it is. That's what those "Contributor Posts" are) to try to put together an argument as to why it should be considered but I am not terribly articulate so that's probably a poor idea.

I'd advice practicing first, but that isn't a bad idea
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-04 06:32:27
    Ugh.  The bonus boss in Ark of Napishtim is utter bullshit.  You basically have to be at least level 55+ to even damage him, but monsters cap out at 49 and very rapidly give you 1 XP (out of 30k).

Like, you can fight him at level in Time Attack and he's random but not particularly difficult compared to the meat grinder that comprises the rest of the game.  But it doesn't give you the achievement.  You have to bring him down in the field.
  • I'm kind of waffling over whether I want to do a liveblog of this game on the hardest difficulty.  I'm perfectly willing to go through that kind of meat grinder if I think the final product will be funny enough, but Napishtim is one of those thoroughly mediocre games that the ways it's good aren't very eye-catching and the ways it's bad aren't particularly amusing.  That, and the characters aren't nearly as exaggerated as Oath so there's not as much potential for silliness.
  • EDIT: bonus boss down at 53.  I had him on the ropes a couple times and died fast, but it went a little bit better once I realized I was still wearing gold farming armor and could actually survive another hit per health bar >_>

Starting Nightmare Catastrophe.  We'll see if it's interesting enough to liveblog.
  • I kind of feel bad for Zachtronics because Spacechem was such a hit that there's basically no way they're going to live up to it.  But hell if they're not going to try.
  • edited 2016-10-06 18:20:08
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    TIS-100 was great, so.

• it's (finally) happening
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

this game was pretty fun

too bad it only came out in Japan, since Sega was too busy hyping up Chainsaws of the Bloody Spikepit 6: CD 32X Edition
  • that game does look pretty fun and now i want to play it
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-08 07:54:55
    Speaking of fun, Toddy finally finished his LP of Ys Origin.  It was a lot of fun to follow and I totally recommend it.

• Also have this thing.

• BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-13 04:24:03
    Whoever was working on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon that decided Perish Song should hit the entire room, not fade when the caster is killed, and can only be cleared by like three things that are all completely worthless in all other circumstances should be eaten by angry Vanilluxe.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Why not a Glalie instead?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    eaten by a grue
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    the devil said:

it's (finally) happening
    8D
  • Bee said:

Whoever was working on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon that decided Perish Song should hit the entire room, not fade when the caster is killed, and can only be cleared by like three things that are all completely worthless in all other circumstances should be eaten by angry Vanilluxe.

the "can only be cleared by like three things that are all completely worthless in all other circumstances" reminds me of D&D's Prismatic Wall
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-13 06:54:07
    It reminds me of a lot of things in D&D, but at least scrolls are cheap to buy/scribe and take up basically no inventory space.  Heal seeds in PMD are really rare, your inventory is cramped, and the Pokemon with appropriate status-clear moves are dead weight and waste reviver seeds.

Why not a Glalie instead?

Because when you show up in the afterlife and people ask you how you died, what's going to be more embarrassing?  "I was eaten by a scary 500-pound oni with devil horns", or "I was eaten by a floating dessert"?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-14 06:54:57
    So I was slightly wrong.  Perish Song doesn't hit the entire room.

It hits the entire floor.  Including the jackass client who wandered off to take a piss in a remote corner of the map.

Also I just fought Giratina.  My Sneasel had Barrage + Better Odds.  Used an Alliance to null type disadvantages and immunities.  She auto-crit two full Fury Swipes for over 700 damage.  The same Alliance had Totodile leader (also with Barrage) double max-attack Waterfalls for 150 apiece, and Fennekin with 3x Power Boost Y shoot for a good 150 too.  So yeah, I just blasted a postgame boss for over 1000 damage in one turn.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    the entire floor

who would do this
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-14 15:59:36
    I can't even think of any other moves that affect the entire floor.  At least Aromatisse finally got to earn its keep.

Although it was kind of funny when I hit a Politoed with a Confuse Wand and it accidentally Perish Songed half the map.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    New FFXIV expansion was announced today. It's called Stormblood, is set in Gyr Abania, and is launching in early Summer. Main job for the expansion is Monk, and Red Mage and Dancer were heavily implied to be the new jobs. Looks like we might be getting 3 raid difficulties too.

PS3 support is being completely ended when 4.0 launches, so SE and Sony are doing a free PS4 upgrade campaign.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Hmmm

Red Mage, and Dancer? That kind of makes me want to pick up FFXIV again...

Also, what do you mean by Monk is the main job of the expansion? Are they going to focus on renovating the Monk skillset or something?
    I mean the job the expansion is focusing on storywise, akin to Dragoon in Heavensward. They are revamping the battle system in general, but they're being cagey on what exactly that entails.
  • Mewtwo down.  Fucker was tough, but we got him.

lol 950+ Recover
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-15 22:52:59
    ^ Did who overpay for what

So I just realized.

Smeargle + Perish Song + Lock On can consistently annihilate the entire floor in 3 turns.
  • ^ Did who overpay for what

So I just realized.

Smeargle + Perish Song + Lock On can consistently annihilate the entire floor in 3 turns.
    "Bee overpaid, but he got Mewtwo."
  • I guess in videogame terms that would be like, spending a the super-awesome super-limited items that you've been saving the entire game, on a boss that's not the final boss.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-15 23:35:35
    Oh.

I mean I blew a shitload of reviver seeds, berries, and elixirs and shit, but given that he's one of the most difficult postgame bosses I wouldn't call that overpaying.

I wasn't going to USE Mewtwo, I just wanted to beat him up for treasure.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-15 23:40:38
    Oh, and I found a lovely little grinding spot.  Mysterious Geoglyph is a short obnoxious dungeon full of Genesect that shoot you from across the room.  But the final floor is a big one-room spiral with plenty of cover and about 6 respawning Genesect.

My partner is a Fennekin with Heat Wave.  By the final floor she had Power Boost Y, Barrage, and Comeback emera -- easily strong enough to oneshot the lot of them, and the multiple hits made Barrage pretty much surefire.  We just camped at the stairs and exhausted my food and elixirs on her while she sat there blissfully frying an entire room full of robot tank bugs for about 750 XP per use (which in this game's terms of narrow XP gain is actually a metric asston).  It was pretty great.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-15 23:53:28
    Oh God, Heat Wave just makes that joke worse.
  • Nintendo's next game console is called the Nintendo Switch.

The console itself is more of a tablet than a traditional gaming box, coming with a docking station to connect to your TV and a pair of detachable controller sides (which can be used for local multiplayer on the go).

I'll admit that the hardware isn't the prettiest, but gosh, what a cool idea. It seems like a nice evolution of what made the GamePad and the Wii U unique, and I'm impressed at the amount of power that has to be inside the tablet itself.
    And naturally the name invited dozens of jokes. I almost feel sorry for Nintendo, since it happens with most their consoles, but that joke was too easy for me not to make.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    What are the jokes?
    Jokes about subs/doms and (more rarely) tops/bottoms.