The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    birth
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    my birth
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    what about it
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Aliroz said:

Water is for drinking, not for bathing.

"And as a national spokesmodel for the Ethical Advancement of Melonade, I am contractually unable to drink, talk about, or bathe in any other liquid!"
    birth me
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I feel like Tumblr hates Muse because, despite the fact that Muse represents all the same opinions the median tumblr leftist has, they're white cis indie rocker dudes and are thus assumed to have in some small way failed to be the level of 100% purestrain #woke that Tumblr demands from such people.
    tumblr's kind of crazy
    If Rebecca Sugar was a cis dude, but the show was exactly the same, Tumblr would be trying to argue that the creator of Steven Universe believed that the show ended homophobia, and then constantly smugly dunk on the strawman they just created.
    tumblr's kind of insane
  • edited 2016-10-04 01:57:05
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    CarnEvil said:

I feel like Tumblr hates Muse because, despite the fact that Muse represents all the same opinions the median tumblr leftist has, they're white cis indie rocker dudes and are thus assumed to have in some small way failed to be the level of 100% purestrain #woke that Tumblr demands from such people.

I mean, I know you like Muse, but I'm not crazy about them myself and it has less to do with their politics (which are fine) than their musical qualities, or rather, the total lack of subtlety in any of their musical qualities.

Like, they managed to fuck up Chvrches' "Lies", which is an amazing song, by overselling it to death.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i kinda feel bands like Muse and Green Day get unfairly criticized for their political material

because on the one hand yeah it's not very nuanced

otoh it's pop music, i feel if nothing else it's encouraging people to care about these issues, or even consider them at all, which is something

CarnEvil said:

I mean, I know you like Muse, but I'm not crazy about them myself and it has less to do with their politics (which are fine) than their musical qualities.

Like, they managed to fuck up Chvrches' "Lies", which is an amazing song, by overselling it to death.
    Okay but like, these people do not talk about Muse's music, they skip straight to OH DRONE STRIKES ARE BAD HUH MUSE, BET YOU THINK YOU'RE MAKING AN ORIGINAL POINT HUH

If they talked about the music, it would be them disliking the music, which is fine
    i feel similarly about Russell Brand
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    In a somewhat humorous coincidence, I just clarified what I meant by "musical qualities," and... eeeeyup.
    anyway i like Muse

they're like . . . Queen meets Radiohead, basically

the bombast of the former with the ambitious, proggy leanings of the latter, and the vocal range of both
    i felt they were lyrically wittier before they went all political, and i'm a little sad about that i guess

i used to consider them one of the more lyrically interesting rock bands, but it's like they lost their sense of humour
    tumblr's kind of wacko
  • Tumblr's just banal
    I'm pretty sure Macklemore never once thought he was ending homophobia with Same Love, nor that he was the only rapper to ever think about it, and Tumblr attributing those views to him rather than Random Macklemore Fan #43245 was deeply disingenuous
    CarnEvil said:

CarnEvil said:

I mean, I know you like Muse, but I'm not crazy about them myself and it has less to do with their politics (which are fine) than their musical qualities.

Okay but like, these people do not talk about Muse's music, they skip straight to OH DRONE STRIKES ARE BAD HUH MUSE, BET YOU THINK YOU'RE MAKING AN ORIGINAL POINT HUH

If they talked about the music, it would be them disliking the music, which is fine
    Fair point. But it seems like a lot of whiny political Tumblrites have really bad or boring taste in music, and tthus have nothing interesting to say for or against Muse on a stylistic level, so they bitch about the lack of lyrical nuance while lacking any political nuance in their own right.
    Anyone remember when people thought Muse were going to be the next Radiohead? Or at least, Radiohead from the alternate universe where they kept plugging away at the style of The Bends.

Like, literally, my introduction to Muse was from a guy I met in college who had Radiohead and Muse in first and second, respectively, on his personal Greatest Bands Ever List.
    Radiohead is just a ripoff of Danny Dyer's Chocolate Homunculus tbh
    Haha, it seems Tachyon ninja'd me and knows exactly what I mean.

anyway i like Muse

the bombast of the former with the ambitious, proggy leanings of the latter, and the vocal range of both

See, I feel like they overreach in both directions, and they lack Queen's knack for legendary hooks and self-aware comic sensibilities and Radiohead's mastery of atmospheric dread and almost stifling tastefulness.
  • edited 2016-10-04 02:08:34

CarnEvil said:

I'm pretty sure Macklemore never once thought he was ending homophobia with Same Love, nor that he was the only rapper to ever think about it, and Tumblr attributing those views to him rather than Random Macklemore Fan #43245 was deeply disingenuous

the fact that he wrote it for a campaign of a referendum in his home state, and that he has an uncle who's gay conveniently eludes most people 
    Muse are one of several bands (of which Coldplay are the other most famous one) that i feel got their sound from imitating The Bends-era Radiohead

Muse and Coldplay both took that sound in different directions, obviously, but the influence is fairly clear i think

anyway i like Muse

See, I feel like they overreach in both directions, and they lack Queen's knack for legendary hooks and self-aware comic sensibilities and Radiohead's mastery of atmospheric dread and almost stifling tastefulness.
    that's fair, on both counts

i wouldn't rank them above either band, but i feel they have their sound and it works for them
    (By which I mean that their late '00s work is kind of airless but it's also surgically precise in execution and has zero fat to trim.)
  • kill living beings

almost stifling tastefulness

it's times like this i'm glad i gave up on thinking i understood music

anyway i like Muse

that's fair, on both counts

i wouldn't rank them above either band, but i feel they have their sound and it works for them
    There is some Muse I've heard which I genuinely liked, because it nailed the sort of driving nocturnal psychedelic quality that Radiohead's best Bends-era work had in a more overtly proggy vein. But a lot of their stuff feels overwrought and operatic while aiming for transcendence in a way that just falls flat for me. Again, I come back to their cover of "Lies" because it so encapsulates my issues with that part of their work. I'll find both and compare them here if you haven't heard them, because, like, jeez.
    wait so where did the Goro Goro Iki thing come from then?

like i thought it was just your personal injoke

almost stifling tastefulness

it's times like this i'm glad i gave up on thinking i understood music

(By which I mean that their late '00s work is kind of airless but it's also surgically precise in execution and has zero fat to trim.)

It's an old, old SA Let's Player meme.
  • kill living beings
    that doesn't really help, but mainly it's just an arresting phrase.
    I said it because I don't feel like tastefulness and refinement are inherently good things. Too much control and aesthetic perfectionism can make a work feel lifeless, or at least excessively artificial.

As far as I can tell, it was started by a group of Michigan college students. One of them mentioned it as "the only good anime" in an LP he did back in 2008, and linked a wikipedia page for it, which was also fake. I liked the joke, so I started using it on TvTropes, because there was just enough information on it on the internet to seem vaguely plausible.

The video above is a video the same guy and a friend of his made years later as the end for a series where they riffed on bad anime.
    CarnEvil said:

As far as I can tell, it was started by a group of Michigan college students. One of them mentioned it as "the only good anime" in an LP he did back in 2008, and linked a wikipedia page for it, which was also fake. I liked the joke, so I started using it on TvTropes, because there was just enough information on it on the internet to seem vaguely plausible.

The video above is a video the same guy and a friend of his made years later as the end for a series where they riffed on bad anime.
    It's a good joke.
    ah

CarnEvil said:

It's a good joke.
    The guy who popularized it has a podcast called History Honeys with his wife which is excellent, and everyone should check out
    You have mentioned it before! I will look into it. :3
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm sorry, British retrogamers, but that keyboard looks awful
  • kill living beings
    Nice that it has a graphic of an actual spectrum, though.
  • How to sound American:
    1. Say "zee eks spectrum" when referring to the ZX Spectrum
    it's the Dark Side of the Moon keyboard
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I feel like "space" being treated as Yet Another Key and not, you know, a bar along the bottom would make it difficult to touch-type on this unless you learned specifically for it
  • kill living beings
    Done and done.
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-10-04 03:11:45
    11:11 

make a wish