The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Because the book is thick and I haven't read all of it.
    And besides, I'm not as good a storyteller as @Calica, for instance. Or even @Section42L.
    All my ideas suck. Unless they don't.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I thought I'd suck as a GM before I actually tried it, too.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

That is literally a meaningless statement, you know

I thought I'd suck as a GM before I actually tried it, too.

well that's encouraging

Anonus said:

it means that all of my ideas suck except for the ones that don't suck
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

Anonus said:

it means that all of my ideas suck except for the ones that don't suck
    ...you really don't understand why that statement is meaningless?

It's like if you said "all politicians are named Barack Obama except the ones who aren't."

It's technically true, sure, but it doesn't mean anything.
    oh, grammar stuff
    Anyways, AU, I think you would do just fine as a GM.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I mean I did suck as a GM, and it didn't stop me :p
  • what is Unknown Armies

anyway lately I have wanted to play like a BattleTech campaign or something but the issue with that is that those games I never want to actually run them, I just want to be a part of them, and also I hate roll20 which is everyone's go-to for these sorts of things.
    Jane said:

what is Unknown Armies

anyway lately I have wanted to play like a BattleTech campaign or something but the issue with that is that those games I never want to actually run them, I just want to be a part of them, and also I hate roll20 which is everyone's go-to for these sorts of things.
    It's an urban fantasy RPG where you play street wizards who get their powers from visiting famous landmarks, or collecting rare books, or acting stupidly in dangerous situations
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    "Alther" is a weird word.
  • edited 2016-09-13 02:22:33
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Anonus said:

Like whatever bullshit story I come up with is going to be absolute trash.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: the trick is that it's not your story. I mean, it can be, and illusionist/simulationist play is a totally valid direction. But that's hard. It's way easier to accept that isn't actually your story. It's the story of the players and their characters. Create NPCs with agendas that the PCs will care about, have the agendas connect to each other and set down conflict "powderkegs," and then just let the PCs run wild.
    Jane said:

what is Unknown Armies

Odradek said:

It's an urban fantasy RPG where you play street wizards who get their powers from visiting famous landmarks, or collecting rare books, or acting stupidly in dangerous situations

You can also play postmodern shamans who emulate archetypes to gain powers.
    I wanted to play in Unknown Armies but I also wonder if I should run a campaign given the fact that I have never played or run the system before
    Also

I don't want to saddle poor Section with more shit
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    good doggies
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I had a dream where I was trying to kill the south park guys, and you guys were stopping me from doing so.

Dangit guys, it was just a dream, yo.  It won't stain my soul if it isn't real, right?
    (2015 self)
    Realtalk, though, I respect how you guys don't indulge me all the time, and are willing to tell me off when I'm being crazy or unreasonable.
    (2015 self)
    Triple post,
    triple post

somebody lifted the lorax

triple post
    triple post

somebody lifted the lorax away
    Aliroz said:

I had a dream where I was trying to kill the south park guys, and you guys were stopping me from doing so.

Dangit guys, it was just a dream, yo.  It won't stain my soul if it isn't real, right?
    Yes, it will not

Aliroz said:

Realtalk, though, I respect how you guys don't indulge me all the time, and are willing to tell me off when I'm being crazy or unreasonable.

I feel the same. Sometimes you don't need an enviroment that reinforces the bad parts of you

Speaking for myself
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'd kill them myself.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    You can kill them, I don't mind.
    (2015 self)
    MachSpeed said:

I'd kill them myself.

Ah, mach, you're a good man.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'll believe you, just this once.
    Wireless earbuds are such a useless idea
    Odradek said:

Wireless earbuds are such a useless idea

I feel like I'd lose them even more easily than regular earbuds
    Exactly
    as for Unknown Armies: I'd run the campaign on IRC, #madokamadness if there's a vacancy (or #trashheaprp if there's not)
    thebaffler.com/salvos/foer-franzen-sturgeon This is vaguely obnoxious
    The frustrating thing about trying to get inspiration for Chess Kung-Fu is that there are actually almost no references to Chess Kung-Fu in the Wu-Tang Clan's 'Da Mystery of Chess Boxin''.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    This NLSS is surprisingly grosser than the norm.
    Odradek said:

He's right about Franzen, from what I can tell, but I find this sort of inconclusive rhetoric about the politics of art terribly unsatisfying. It comes off as pretentious because it winds up feeling like the essayist isn't building to a proposed solution or even some sort of revelation, but obscuring a "...so? ...and?" kind of point with a lot of maundering so it looks more meaningful and intelligent. He brings in Zink at the end, but it still feels like he's skirting around stating his agenda.

Additionally, it seems like he's dismissing Miéville for being a fantasist without actually saying it, which is ironic given the endless prattle about the baleful nature of American realism.
  • kill living beings
    transistors continue to be fake, or possibly joke
    I sent the magazine in question a fairly snarky letter. Do I have no life? Maybe. But it felt worthwhile.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    What's so funny 'bout Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin?
    peace lovin' and a stand-in?
    What do we call those "in this moment I am enlightened by my own intelligence" assholes? Euphorics?

If so, suck my dick, Euphorics.
    I gotta stop posting right as I go to sleep.
    Odradek said:

The "humans are, and should only ever be, social animals" line Marxists like to take is never argued for, I've noticed
    It's really weird people bought the Steven Pinker lie that leftists are all blank slate believers, when it's so obviously not true.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Isn't writing an inherently solitary exercise?

Also, doesn't defining a protagonist inherently necessitate them sticking out from the rest of the characters?

What's the solution this person recommends to both these things?
    80xu8vlge8lx.png
  • so what you're saying is that the only real things in the world are elephants
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    "Apparently in the far-flung future, it's still Us vs. the Reds. And these guys were supposed to be the ones with imaginations."

http://www.lileks.com/misc/scifi/91.html