The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Carbon County, Coalifornia.
  • ...point.

Followup IJBM: I had called Jane "Countess of ____" based on what Pennsylvania county she lived in but now I can't remember what that was

Or maybe that was Sredni? Count of Montgomery? But I could've sworn I'd done it for Jane too
    hence, the Countess of Carbon County
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh, right!

Also: Am I the only US Route 62 fangirl on HH? Surely that can't be...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    what makes you a fangirl of US 62?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's fun to drive down ^_^
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

lol

cowpeople
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Oh hey the new Abject Suffering is the latest installment of "Gary and Kole instinctively hate any pop culture thing that wasn't a part of their childhoods"

Like I have no connection or knowledge of fuckin' XO Manowar at all, and the name sounds absurd, and this is still irritating to me.
  • XO Manowar sounds like a 1999 techno group.
    Someone who unironically defends the dreadful ugly 90s X-Men cartoon has no business making fun of anything
    Manowar are a silly band, but I bear them no ill will nonetheless
    STK651754.jpg
    if you mean the superhero X-O Manowar, though...well, I know nothing of superhero stuff
    which I guess is what you were referring to
    I know nothing either, but the knee-jerk dismissal that they meet everything that wasn't part of their childhood with is utterly exasperating after a while.
    buttnuggets
    For some reason, when fandom wikis talk about TV censorship, people seem to make this assumption that the FCC is responsible for it all.

Like, I've seen the PPG wiki claim that the "Whoopass Girls" name was dropped due to FCC regulations. That doesn't even make any sense! Cartoon Network is a cable channel, they don't answer to the FCC! It was changed because the higher-ups at CN didn't think they could get away with marketing a "Whoopass" cartoon to children.
    People assume the FCC regulates everything.
    the camp grounds eh
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

Someone who unironically defends the dreadful ugly 90s X-Men cartoon has no business making fun of anything

*'90s X-Men hate-five*

People assume the FCC regulates everything.

i know, it's so annoying
    What do I need to put on my resume if I want to be hired as a serial killer
    What kind of psychopath joins the army in this day and age
  • edited 2016-05-29 02:31:44
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

My 15-year-old cousin wants to be a cook in the army.  My uncle was a pilot in the air force.  My Grandpa was a cook for the navy in WWII.  My other grandpa was a tank mechanic in WWII.

I don't think they are all psychopaths in this day and age.

But, from... certain people on youtube comments, I can see why you would get that impression.
  • Oddly enough my grandfather was also a cook in the army.
    My grandfather (on my mom's side) liked to tell us about D-day and the Normandy landings and all that. 'Cause he was in it, I guess.
  • edited 2016-05-29 03:06:09
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Oops. Double-post.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Odradek said:

I joined because they're the only ones hiring entomologists full-time these days.
  • MetaFour said:

they're the only ones hiring entomologists full-time these days.

ok now im curious: what does an army entomologist do

it it all knowing stuff about mosquitos or
  • kill living beings

MetaFour said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Drop_Kick
  • Within a day the mosquitoes had bitten many people.[2] In 1958, the Corps released 600,000 mosquitoes in Avon Park, Florida.

MetaFour said:

Mosquito surveillance, mosquito identification, reminding everyone "For the love of all that is holy, put on DEET and take your doxycycline." Also monitoring for ticks, sand flies, filth flies, spiders, scorpions, anything that spreads disease or bites or stings. And they throw in snakes and rodents too, because why not?
  • kill living beings
    really though, back in the day walter reed was... not an anti-entomologist

relatedly someone vandalized the wikipedia article on Carlos Finlay. changed "Known for: Mosquito and yellow fever research" to "Known for: Mosquito butthole and yellow fever research". As a Carlos Finlay fan, I
  • MetaFour said:

MetaFour said:

Mosquito surveillance, mosquito identification, reminding everyone "For the love of all that is holy, put on DEET and take your doxycycline." Also monitoring for ticks, sand flies, filth flies, spiders, scorpions, anything that spreads disease or bites or stings. And they throw in snakes and rodents too, because why not?
    hey, who's giving this report, you or me?
  • it's in a professional clear plastic binder
    "She says my scientific illustration looks like I traced the Batman logo and added fangs!"
    "Very astute."
  • kill living beings
    militaries probably worry about sickness more than... practically everyone

the CDC grew out of the Office of Malaria Control in Wartime Areas which wow is a clunky name now that i write it out
    And yet they still blunder into locations with abysmal or non-existent planning re: disease prevention.
  • MetaFour said:

MetaFour said:

/r/retiredreactionimages
  • kill living beings
    didn't say they were good at it

things i'm kind of low-key mad about: the cholera epidemic in haiti was probably caused by nepalese troops somehow, marking the only time haiti and nepal have ever appeared in the same sentence
  • militaries probably worry about sickness more than... practically everyone

the CDC grew out of the Office of Malaria Control in Wartime Areas which wow is a clunky name now that i write it out

solution: just call it OMCWA
  • Jane said:

Odd Marmoset Clique Washington Area, the most respected indie rap collective of the late 2000s
  • Jane said:

Odd Marmoset Clique Washington Area, the most respected indie rap collective of the late 2000s
    I'd object to this mockery but Deep Puddle Dynamics was a real group that existed and people actually respected them for a time.
  • kill living beings
    i like deep puddle dynamics

re OMCWA i should probably come up with some ominous sounding health organization initialisms. i kind of like UNDO from immortal hounds, cos even though it's an acronym "Disease control Organization" isn't too far fetched
  • i like deep puddle dynamics

If I had to pick one rap group I thought you'd like it'd definitely be either them or The Antipop Consortium.