General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Things that could be done with neglected Smash Bros stuff

Ice Climbers: Would be good for a co-op DS game, or a Wii U game with the touchpad and controller. One person controls one ice climber, and the other controls the other

ROB: Go back to the original idea and make it an actual toy. Combine it with some VR tech so you can actually play a videogame with it.

Captain Falcon: Already Mentioned

Game & Watch: I'd probably play a 3DS version of classic Game & Watch stuff. Heck, would make a good mobile thing now that they're finally going mobile with stuff.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I refer only to the 2D Metroids, of which relatively few exist. 3D is for lamers

(I sort of kid...I'd undoubtedly try Prime if I had the means of doing so)
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-04 03:46:17
    Prime Trilogy is on the Wii U online store.

If you spring for it (which I recommend), try starting with one of the save files here, since the friend voucher stuff for unlockables in Prime 3 was discontinued before the port came out.
  • See, the "Nintendo doesn't use its IPs" thing is something I can agree with when given a specific example but when used as a general statement it just kinda rubs me wrong.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    For the Wii U online store I'd have to have a Wii U, yes?
  • Bee said:

could we maybe not recycle Ganondorf's moveset again

On that note, Ganondorf's moveset always bothered me. I dislike clones in general, but I don't see why a Falcon clone was required and why Ganondorf in particular should play like Falcon. Based on the Zelda games, Ganondorf could have any number of moveset interpretations. 
  • Apparently he was a last minute addition
  • I always kinda wanted a Ganon/Agahnim character that worked like Zelda/Sheik.
  • I thought Ganondorf's thing is that he's a Captain Falcon clone but is much slower and hits much harder.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I prefer Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf but I also like Smash Ganondorf. Both have good, powerful, solid and menacing movesets.
  • I thought Ganondorf's thing is that he's a Captain Falcon clone but is much slower and hits much harder.

Right, but that's not a very Zelda thing. 

To my understanding, one of the draws of SSB is that it imagines characters through the auspice of a fighting game, moving aspects from their "native" gameplay style into a new one. In the case of Captain Falcon, we can observe that his specials are mostly fast traversal attacks, which is keeping in line with his origins as a racing game character. I'm aware that his moveset is also a leftover from when SSB wasn't going to be a Nintendo-spanning fighting game, but it's still a pretty appropriate choice, right? 

Ganondorf doesn't really do anything representative of the attacks or strategies he employs against us within the Zelda games, though. He plays like a really big burly guy, not a guileful sorcerer.  
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-04 08:56:44
    Ganondorf is kind of a wildcard in the Zelda games though.

Ocarina of Time: straight-up mage.
    Wind Waker: speedy Fire Emblem swordmaster.
    Twilight Princess: Dark Souls.

Then again, they might've vaguely based his Twilight Princess moveset off of his Smash Bros. playstyle by then.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    As the Demon King of Chaos (something that goes back to Link to the Past as the big pig man), Ganondorf playing like a really big burly guy with dark magic makes sense to me.
  • But it never bloody takes advantage of that except for Kid Icarus. 

I stand by my "probably the best game on the system" comment about Kid Icarus Uprising, BTW. Even, or perhaps especially, if I didn't actually remember to say that.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Haven said:

But it never bloody takes advantage of that except for Kid Icarus. 

I stand by my "probably the best game on the system" comment about Kid Icarus Uprising, BTW. Even, or perhaps especially, if I didn't actually remember to say that.
    But what about left handed people. :|
  • edited 2016-03-04 17:37:42
    I'm left hamded! It's good... but you gotta shell out extra for the Circle Pad Pro. Or you're SOL if you have the New.
  • I am a left handed people
    I don't see a lot of difference.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Theory: Half-Life 2 is an allegory for the colonization of the Americas.

* The Combine are, of course, the colonizing forces, and humans are the natives. Humans fight back but are crushed due to technological superiority. The Combine feed the survivors lies about being a civilizing and uplifting force.

*The role of invasive species is not neglected. The landscape is now filled with aggressive alien organisms upsetting the ecosystem, most of which appear to have been brought along by the Combine more or less accidentally. Those shells filled with headcrabs are basically less subtle smallpox blankets.

*The Combine have no regard for the ecological destruction they cause so long as they profit and gain resources.

* In this analogy, the Vortigaunts are African slaves.

* I have no idea how the G-man fits into anything

• The G-man is Emperor Norton duh
  • Some douchebag on the Steam forum for Trails in the Sky just randomly started plugging Donald Trump.

This is a game whose story culminates in the villain leveraging populist demagoguery and xenophobia to build and enforce a fascist police state run by a rogue government department.  And generally makes enough use of irony and wit along the way that anyone who's played it long enough to be hanging around on the forum should probably be self-aware enough to understand why shilling Trump sounds extra-stupid there.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    MAYA'S IN THE NEW ACE ATTORNEY 

AFTER ALL THESE YEARS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-06 08:05:30
    Like, starring or just in it?  Because she was there for Layton vs. Phoenix too, and even had a more prominent role than in some of the main Phoenix games.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    she's just in it. maya hasn't been in any of the main phoenix wright games in a looong time though, so i'm excited
  • Bee said:

Some douchebag on the Steam forum for Trails in the Sky just randomly started plugging Donald Trump.

This is a game whose story culminates in the villain leveraging populist demagoguery and xenophobia to build and enforce a fascist police state run by a rogue government department.  And generally makes enough use of irony and wit along the way that anyone who's played it long enough to be hanging around on the forum should probably be self-aware enough to understand why shilling Trump sounds extra-stupid there.
    Vigi React?

I'm guessing there's only one post left in the aftermath, but based on that post I can't tell which side of Poe's Law it's on.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-06 19:07:53
    It hasn't had an aftermath yet.  I'm just quietly reporting since political discussions are expressly forbidden on Steam forums.  Nobody's dropped in to stop it yet.

I just thought the circumstances were funny because Trails's own very obvious political subtext runs directly counter to the guy he was advocating.
  • Oh, I figured there was an entire thread that had gotten baleeted.
  • edited 2016-03-06 22:40:43
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    "Nayuta Sadmadhi" looks wrong. I feel like it should be "Nayuta Samadhi."

The latter is a thing in Buddhism. The former is not.
  • edited 2016-03-09 07:21:49
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Hey a new AVGN game.

Plus A Hat in Time has a non-Greenlight page on Steam, finally, which is nice. Probably the only collect-a-thon I've ever been this interested in?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
  • For the most part I was surprisingly ok with where the Heart Of The Swarm campaign went in StarCraft II, but I have one major complaint about the ending specifically, even if it was supremely satisfying to see Arcturus get blown the fuck up.

Spoiler:
     Did they really need to give Kerrigan like a 30 second "damsel in distress" moment and then have Raynor rescue her? It's just kind of stupid. I understand the pylon is some kind of ancient xel'naga artifact or what have you, but you're gonna sit there and tell me the skeletal-winged psychic hellbeast woman in charge of all of the zerg can't take a magic taser to the stomach?

In general, I don't mind cliche writing in this kind of game (WarCraft's writing is pretty subpar too) but there's a difference between "tried and true" and just bad. Really I don't like how this series seems to treat women in general (that mercenary captain lady being oh-so crazy is annoying as fuck too). 

I wouldn't care if this game came out in like 99 or something, but this isn't even ten years old! Step it up guys, jesus.
  • Glenn confirmed for corporate puppet for Falcom. :V

He has to plug this game every few months or else he goes back in the cage.
  • TitleName said:

Glenn confirmed for corporate puppet for Falcom. :V

He has to plug this game every few months or else he goes back in the cage.

that would be a pretty cool job actually
  • edited 2016-03-11 21:08:02
    Sure, if you like living in a cage and eating only fireball candy when they remember to feed you. :V

You don't want to know what happens if you fall behind in your job, oh nooo...

Point is, exaggeration asides, vidya game development can incredibly stressful. Good reward, but far from idlyyic.
  • Playing IE GO: Chrono Stones has felt a lot like playing the Pokemon games used to feel like for me. Planning out teams, recruiting players, and raising them up from lv 1 has been great (well, aside from some of the more tedious scavenger hunts required to recruit certain players). I also like how Chrono Stones actually encourages you to have multiple teams and lets you customize each one.

Having a bunch of female players who are just as good as the male ones is cool too, even if some of them can take a while to recruit.
  • I speak from personal experience: game development gets really, really nasty and publishers are exactly as bad as you think they are.
  • so would anyone wanna play some StarCraft II matches later. The multiplayer component of the game is free (tho they do make you do a tutorial first).

I don't use hotkeys and have a poor command of tactics, so
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    now that I have money I finally jumped on the Undertale bandwagon

completely unspoiled too, somehow
  • I am more likely to buy the soundtrack than buy the game lol
  • I mean if you're going to buy one thing or the other you can just hear all of the music while playing the game.

S'all I'm saying.
  • I am enjoying the Protoss campaign in SC2 more than I thought I would.

Mostly, I think it's the lasers.

And the Protoss remind me a little bit of the Sanghelli, who I like.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Spring break goal: finally actually finish Psychonauts. 
  • So I played Blade Symphony recently, which is weird because it's a 2014 game that should have caught my interest long ago. I remember hearing a little about it, but not much follow-up -- probably because of how it awkwardly compromises between a generalised fencing simulator (for lack of a better term) and a fighting game. 

The basics: You have one attack button, and your attacks are modified by your traversal direction, stance, and charge level (of which there are three, counting uncharged attacks). There are dash evasions, rolling evasions, a kind of charge dash, and jumps as additional traversal options. Your character choice determines your moveset, and your weapon choice determines your attack attributes. There's a simple sword crossing system where upon two attacks colliding, the stronger attack completes its path and the weaker attack is knocked aside. Due to the stance system and charge levels, any combatant with any weapon can plausibly have the stronger attack in an exchange. 

There are two major problems in terms of actually using this sword collision system:
    • The degree of mobility combatants have is so high that plenty of attacks are made without the need or opportunity to cross an opponent's attack.
    • Many attack geometries are poorly suited to colliding with opponent's attacks, as they don't spend enough time in front of the character using them. 
    Basically, the game's selling point is in providing a platform for virtual swordfights, but it's basically too wuxia to make good on that promise. Any kind of game is, by necessity, going to modify fencing in order to make it plausible to execute in its context; even real-world fencing styles make allowances for the differences between training and sincere, mortal use of the weapon (such as artificially weakening one's blows to avoid blunt force trauma damage with the blunted swords used). But the elements in this game ultimately conflict; it's trying to be a high octane spectacle fighting game at the same time it's trying to include substantial elements of realistic swordplay. 

There's also the fact that only the longsword and katana class weapons "deserve" to  be in the game, as it revolves nearly entirely around two-handed sword use. Other inclusions, like the rapier, jian, and scimitar, feel really artificial as a result. Weapon traits also raise some questions, such as why katana uniquely have the feint, which is a highly contentious technique in two-handed sword disciplines. Or why rapier can move while blocking. Or why scimitars have faster charge rates on attacks. 

While I appreciate what this game set out to do, its scope is concurrently too wide and too narrow. That said, it's ultimately pretty fun to play and there's some true strategic depth in there, but it's marred by the game's mechanics and content veering off in too many directions at once. This is a good swordplay game by the haggard standards of video game fencing, but it's also less than it could have been by a substantial margin. I don't regret spending $10 USD on it at all, but I do regret the kinds of compromises it found between very disparate concepts and genres.   
  • Glenn

Just buy the game

Jane said:

I mean if you're going to buy one thing or the other you can just hear all of the music while playing the game.

S'all I'm saying.
    I basically know all the spoilers, and the money goes to the same person anyway
  • played Halo Wars while my tapes were recording and am newly mad that the sequel is apparently going to be exclusive to Windows 10 computers. Somehow.

and Xbox One, but I don't have one of those.