General Video Game Thread

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i find Groose hilarious because of how ridiculous he is

but yes that is frusrating timing, sure
  • edited 2016-03-28 19:47:42
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Game dialogue should never occur during tense, inconvenient or otherwise inappropriate moments, is all.

Alphys is the only exception. ONLY.
  • @Bee what skills should a solo Paladin be looking into

I'm level 8 right now, Blood Elf.
  • So when I heard they were adding the king from Wind Waker to Hyrule Warriors, I was like "how does that work, does he just shapeshift back and forth from the boat."

Now that I got my hands on the transfer code, it turns out that is exactly how it works. And I'm so glad.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-29 00:40:17
    Jane said:

@Bee what skills should a solo Paladin be looking into

Honestly if you're only going to 20 it won't matter much as long as you take Retribution instead of the healing/tanking trees.  It's difficult to overstate how trivial the opening content is anymore.

Spec Retribution, use a 2H weapon, and grab talents that look like they will murder faces.

Actually if you stick with it long enough, the tanking tree makes for some really hilarious soloing because you can outlast elite encounters and AOE-farm non-elites.  But that only kicks in all that well around lv...25 I think?  I dunno, it's been a long time and several expansions since I played a pally, but I can't imagine they nerfed Prot Paladins much since Cata.

EDIT: I just checked a talent calculator and they've dumbed it down so much that you'll only get one choice of talents by lv20 anyway and it'll be very minor.  I regret quitting after Cataclysm less and less.
  • Please tell me there's a video somewhere?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1mcyLyNUG38

Also Linkle is a cutie, a badass, and a dork all at once. (Tetra is very satisfying to play as because I wish she'd gotten to kick more ass in Wind Waker and now she has the chance. Toon Link I could take or leave, and I haven't tried Skull Kid yet.)
  • Bee said:

Jane said:

@Bee what skills should a solo Paladin be looking into

Honestly if you're only going to 20 it won't matter much as long as you take Retribution instead of the healing/tanking trees.  It's difficult to overstate how trivial the opening content is anymore.

Spec Retribution, use a 2H weapon, and grab talents that look like they will murder faces.

Actually if you stick with it long enough, the tanking tree makes for some really hilarious soloing because you can outlast elite encounters and AOE-farm non-elites.  But that only kicks in all that well around lv...25 I think?  I dunno, it's been a long time and several expansions since I played a pally, but I can't imagine they nerfed Prot Paladins much since Cata.

EDIT: I just checked a talent calculator and they've dumbed it down so much that you'll only get one choice of talents by lv20 anyway and it'll be very minor.  I regret quitting after Cataclysm less and less.
    I'm at 18 now and this is exactly what I did.

It's kinda fun but everyone is remarkably antisocial considering that this is an MMO. I think a lot of the people playing are just doing what I'm doing, this is a "new player" server.
  • also? I don't play many MMOs but it is super weird to me that half of my armor slots are still empty. I have yet to see a helmet for purchase or as a quest reward anywhere.
  • edited 2016-03-29 09:19:32
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1201826

WARNING: potentially NSFW pictures

> All foreigners play is games where you slaughter people indifferently, so they've got a lot of nerve to speak up about small things like this in other countries' games.

Person's got a point, distasteful as it may be.
  • Sort of? That follow-up image of Japanese gamers' reactions is basically a xenophobic checklist, and there aren't that many differences between the levels of violence in games of either cultural origin. Western culture gave us the first person shooter, but Japanese development gave us the musou. In any case, a game developed for an international audience should probably defer to international standards in cases of potentially sensitive content like this. 
  • It is sort of a semi-common complaint on such a place as the Steam forum to see someone complaining about various types of games they don't like, and such complaints are generally directed at indie/2D/retro games or anime/visual novel type games.  The latter version of complaint frequently includes a statement of being offended by the smutty content of such games, but ironically said complaints also frequently come from people who play all sorts of violent and sometimes gory games, which leaves them open to the obvious counterargument.
  • Right, which is that we tend to be more comfortable with violence than with matters of sexuality. That's a true observation, but I'm not getting that argument from that anti-foreigner image. All I'm getting is a glimpse into Japanese gaming culture's dark heart, which is apparently as black as ours. 
  • All I'm getting is a glimpse into Japanese gaming culture's dark heart, which is apparently as black as ours. 

Yeah, pretty much.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-31 04:05:38
    Goddamn, Fi is the most useless companion fairy ever.

"Look, Master.  There's some glowing shit over there you need to pick up.  Unfortunately it's blocked off by a large gate.  But look over there.  There's some even brighter glowing shit you need to schlep across the room.  I predict there is a 1% chance you haven't already been through three dungeons and a considerable amount of overworld extensively utilizing this exact gimmick."

But against a boss?

"This bioform is large and scary.  That is all the information I have gathered.  Remember, you can ask me my unwanted opinion of general exploration in the dungeon you're already at the end of by pressing the large brightly-labeled button on your UI that's literally been there since the beginning of the game.  I predict there is a 95% chance you have just had your face bitten off while I was jawing away."
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    and that is why you only play the early Zelda games
  • Bee said:

"This bioform is large and scary.  That is all the information I have gathered.  Remember, you can ask me my unwanted opinion of general exploration in the dungeon you're already at the end of by pressing the large brightly-labeled button on your UI.  I predict there is a 95% chance you have just had your face bitten off while I was jawing away."

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Bear_Lore
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Haven said:

Please tell me there's a video somewhere?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1mcyLyNUG38

Also Linkle is a cutie, a badass, and a dork all at once. (Tetra is very satisfying to play as because I wish she'd gotten to kick more ass in Wind Waker and now she has the chance. Toon Link I could take or leave, and I haven't tried Skull Kid yet.)
    Oh my fucking god that's wonderful

"FUCK YOU I'M A BOAT"

Also

"KING DAPHNES used SURF!"
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-31 05:11:11
    And done.  The last two fights were fucking obnoxious.

Note to Wii Motion Plus devs: if you make a tiny window for a very quick swing, it will almost always do two swings because the accelerometer is still bouncing around inside.  Please take your split-second electric parry and shove it up your ass.  Directly up your ass.  Do not pass Go.  Do not collect 200 rupees.  Shove it directly up your ass.  Now collect 200 rupees and shove all of them up your ass too.

This game would have been infinitely better if they just used the B button to denote swinging.
  • All I'm getting is a glimpse into Japanese gaming culture's dark heart, which is apparently as black as ours. 

Yeah, pretty much.
    I think that's true of any human culture
  • Alduin said:

All I'm getting is a glimpse into Japanese gaming culture's dark heart, which is apparently as black as ours. 

Yeah, pretty much.
    Your words are as empty as your games' social impact.  Gamerkind ill needs a developer such as you!
  • and that is why you only play the early Zelda games

*proceeds to play later Zelda games*
  • I'm just gonna start saying "and that's why you only play the early Zelda games" as a response to literally any problem.
  • Alduin said:

All I'm getting is a glimpse into Japanese gaming culture's dark heart, which is apparently as black as ours. 

Yeah, pretty much.
    Your words are as empty as your games' social impact.  Gamerkind ill needs a developer such as you!
    *throws goblet filled with mountain dew*
  • Haven said:

Alduin said:

Yeah, pretty much.
    *throws goblet filled with mountain dew*
    Dorito Storm!  Dorito Storm!  Dorito Storm!

and that is why you only play the early Zelda games

:(
    technically Fi is the most useful companion fairy but the most irritating sword

unless, were Navi and Tatl responsible for Z-targeting?  i forget
  • Jane said:

I'm just gonna start saying "and that's why you only play the early Zelda games" as a response to literally any problem.

You can use them as an excuse to get out of any situation, too.
  • Where was I when Paul Allen went missing? I was probably playing the early Zelda games.
  • Tachyon said:

technically Fi is the most useful companion fairy but the most irritating sword

unless, were Navi and Tatl responsible for Z-targeting?  i forget

Yes. As much as people like to rag on Navi and Tatl, I enjoy the notion of a game mechanic having its own characterisation; essentially the same concept seed as in Super Mario 64, where you can see a cameraman by looking into a mirror. It's a good example of how Nintendo was thinking about game design at the time, using the new available dimension to turn the player into a director -- or at least a cinematographer. 

Also see: How the lock-on in Zelda games doesn't give you a fixed, over-the-shoulder perspective, but rotates the camera so as to make Link and his target the extreme ends of a sort-of isometric shot. 
  • Yeah the fairies were the Z-target.  It was why you couldn't target Ganondorf in the first fight in OOT and had to shoot him first-person, because he blasted her away.

I also really enjoy the idea of Fi as a character.  But the execution...good lord.  Reams of unskippable text on things that are glaringly obvious, and the one or two times you need them she says she knows nothing and then talks about unrelated shit you already knew.
    "Reams of unskippable text on things that are glaringly obvious"

this is why you only play the early Zelda games.
  • Who is John Galt Splatoon Bowser??
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I think I'm the only person here that agrees with Imi.

I'm okay with this
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-31 19:03:53

Also see: How the lock-on in Zelda games doesn't give you a fixed, over-the-shoulder perspective, but rotates the camera so as to make Link and his target the extreme ends of a sort-of isometric shot. 

It is straight behind in Skyward, but that's because directional swings are unusually important.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-01 18:45:28
    So, theory.  Demise mentions that he's humoring you with a battle because he's so used to humans being a screaming mess that he thinks you're interesting, and that perhaps humankind has come a long way while he was out.  Fi has been sleeping ever since his original sealing.

What if Fi is actually used to humans of old being shambling barely sapient neanderthals that need everything explained to them?

"Please, Master.  Do not swallow that spoon.  I predict there is a 95% chance that it will become lodged in your -- oh my.  Processing.  Processing.  Nearest hospital located.  You may also dowse for hearts as a temporary substitute for oxygen."
  • So I just stumbled upon a fascinating YouTube channel.

i still kinda wish Skyrim gave us the option to play as the Thalmor, or to pick a fight with them directly and drive them from Skyrim altogether

i realize both of those would have messed with the war questline, but i feel that's more a deficiency of the questline than a problem with wanting the Thalmor to be more involved as a faction
    also lately i'm thinking the best Zelda was actually Majora's Mask

it's the only game in the series where i have to try very hard to say anything negative about it, and i found it one of the most compelling games i've played
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-02 17:44:18
    The only bad thing I can really say about Majora's Mask is that it's too short.  The 3-day schedule was so absurdly detailed it took up half the cartridge >_<
    Majora's Mask has some annoying bits in it, like the stealth part of the Deku palace or whatever, and the boss of the water dungeon. Actually just the water dungeon in general. Actually just water in general.
  • I really want to like Miitomo, it seems like it has a lot of potential, but it's sort of minimized by the fact that you can't add anyone without either linking a social media account or being in the same room (?!). Which kind of bugs me.
  • Yeah I feel similarly.

For reasons one can probably infer I'm reluctant to link my Facebook account, and there's at least one irl person I'd like to add but I have to wait until I next see her in person.

It'd be cool to add people from here, too...
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-03 04:08:57
    I seriously don't know what it is with people and Zelda water dungeons.  I loved Great Bay Temple.

Like, you can't even use the usual slow movement complaint this time because you got a really fast and maneuverable water form that could hold up in land combat almost as well as Link's regular form.
    Swimming feels unnatural to many of us.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-03 07:48:31
    Maybe it's just because I played the shit out of Ecco the Dolphin?  I dunno.

Also I started Hero Mode.  It's kind of funny how the back door in the Sealed Temple is actually cracked open now and you can see past-Zelda still there the very first time you walk in, but it doesn't set off your dowsing.
  • edited 2016-04-03 13:34:27
    Crash Course just started their series on games, beginning with a broad definition, some elements of their appeal, and touching on their applications outside of the direct gaming experience. 

The series is intended to concern more than video games, including sports and tabletop games among other types, but I thought this was a good a place as any to post the video. Plus, I suspect video games will take centre stage given their current prominence and the capacity we have to collect data from them. 
    Bee said:

I seriously don't know what it is with people and Zelda water dungeons.  I loved Great Bay Temple.

Like, you can't even use the usual slow movement complaint this time because you got a really fast and maneuverable water form that could hold up in land combat almost as well as Link's regular form.
    i genuinely, honestly found both the Water Temple and Great Bay Temple much more enjoyable than the vast majority of dungeons in the first 2 games in the series
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    If you're comparing the 3-D Zeldas to Zelda 2, then I actually understand that opinion.
    Zelda 1's dungeons feel kind of basic because all the rooms have the same shape etc. They're still ok though.

Zelda 2 is kind of hit-or-miss.

ALttP has the best dungeons, this is not my opinion, this is fact.