General Video Game Thread

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-03 23:31:26

They also have no faith in Paper Mario, and 3D Mario games in general

Except they've been releasing those regularly and they're overwhelmingly really good.  We haven't had a good Metroid game since 2007.

I don't really buy the "exploiting nostalgia" argument.  I mean yeah it is, but good titles exploit nostalgia too.  This looks bad and half-assed because it just looks bad and half-assed.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • The Witcher 3 is pretty great. My only issue with it was how slowly one would gain skill points, since the slot limit exists anyway. There's this huge wealth of different builds and the game is massive, but the game forces narrow commitment to skill purchases. 
  • Kexruct said:

And it seems like the clearer examples of "exploiting nostalgia" are never called out as such. Hyrule Warriors, fun as it was, was absolutely gratuitous in how it just threw Zelda Iconic Moments at the player over and over. Pokemon has been trying to capture Gen 1's lightning in a bottle for two generations and literally has remakes of older games as part of the regular release schedule. Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival was... yeah.
    I mean I love me some Pokemon but all of the main Pokemon games are basically "the same as the last one, but moreso".

(also Pokemon is GameFreak but everyone knows this)

anyhow I don't know who you're talking to. No one here is saying this stuff, I just think it's weird how Nintendo kinda treats Metroid as its black sheep.
  • Pretty much everything that isn't Zelda, Mario, or Pokemon is Nintendo's black sheep. Or at least has been at some point.
    Jane said:

stop posting that

Uma
  • Anyway the Witcher 3 is the best open-world game I've played in a while. Also it has this

I've been thinking about getting The Witcher 3. Would you recommend I play the first two games first before trying that one?
  • I mean, I'm not trying to be dismissive but I struggle to think of what they develop that is not one of those four franchises.

Kirby, which they should also treat better.

Kid Icarus which I have no opinion on.

and Smash I guess, but they keep up a decent clip with that one.

I'm not saying they need to make more Metroid games or whatever, but it seems like Metroid titles are both A) less common and B) subject to way more tinkering with the gameplay formula than their other "big" franchises. With the exception of, again, maybe Kirby.
  • oh, Pikmin.

I forgot about that one.

But I think they've kind of abandoned that?
    I have never played either of the first 2, and I'm understanding the plot just fine.

Geralt has a lot of previously established old friends and enemies, but they give you the context you need.
    Kid Icarus had one game for the NES, and then it suddenly became a thing again with the 3DS game.

And I guess he was on Captain N, but eh.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Fire Emblem Fates finally has a European release day... of May 20th. And we're getting Revelation later too because???????
  • I mean, it's not like they have an obligation to release new entries in a franchise. 

• Kexruct said:

I mean, it's not like they have an obligation to release new entries in a franchise. 

This.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-03 23:49:47
    So apparently Steam is super-pushing their authenticator by completely disabling the Market for accounts that don't have it.

Douchebags.  I assume this is their way of making it look like they're not inept after the two major security breaches they've had in the last year, neither of which would have been prevented by Steam Guard.
  • Or even that continually releasing old IPs is a good thing. I think they're doing fine enough with Zelda, less so with Mario and Pokemon, and I'm feeling a mite overexposed to Fire Emblem. I prefer new games in series I like to be special and not just a regular part of a lineup.
    Bee said:

So apparently Steam is super-pushing their authenticator by completely disabling the Market for accounts that don't have it.

Douchebags.  I assume this is their way of making it look like they're not inept after the two major security breaches they've had in the last year, neither of which would have been prevented by Steam Guard.
    ...Are you seriously calling them douchebags for making you use an authenticator???
  • edited 2016-03-03 23:53:14
    Bee said:

It's a 15-day wait on trades and market usage.

Also, the first security breach last year was stopped from actually compromising account access by Steam Guard.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-04 00:05:49
    I'm calling them douchebags for taking out their historical egregious ineptitude with sessions and password resets by making me go through a mobile text that will cost more than anything I'm going to be making from any given trading card sale, yeah.

Also, looks like a full stop to me.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1047-edfm-2932

We require Steam Guard to be enabled for 15 days to help protect your items and Steam Wallet funds from being misused by someone who may have illicitly obtained your password. If you have not had Steam Guard enabled for 15 days, you will be unable to trade or use the Community Market. Accounts that currently have Steam Guard disabled will be unable to trade and use the Community Market.
  • Kexruct said:

I mean, it's not like they have an obligation to release new entries in a franchise. 

I did not say they did.
  • I have stumbled upon a story summary for Halo 5 and I am honestly not sure if I want to dig any deeper into this mess.
  • Bee said:

I'm calling them douchebags for taking out their historical egregious ineptitude with sessions and password resets by making me go through a mobile text that will cost more than anything I'm going to be making from any given trading card sale, yeah.

Also, looks like a full stop to me.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1047-edfm-2932

We require Steam Guard to be enabled for 15 days to help protect your items and Steam Wallet funds from being misused by someone who may have illicitly obtained your password. If you have not had Steam Guard enabled for 15 days, you will be unable to trade or use the Community Market. Accounts that currently have Steam Guard disabled will be unable to trade and use the Community Market.
    Oh, I'm talking about this: http://store.steampowered.com/news/20631/

This is about the trade holds.

Steam Guard by e-mail will still work, just will cause a 15-day delay on trade and market activity.
  • Yeah, with Salt's appeal, what you do is use

Kexruct said:

This.
    It's more an issue of wasted opportunity.

like, for example, there hasn't been anything made for F-Zero in almost a decade. A series whose main character, Captain Falcon, is one of the most popular characters in Smash Bros. 

Hell, have you seen the cast for those games? You could get three or four more fighters for Smash Bros if they just released a new installment of it.
  • Fire Emblem Fates finally has a European release day... of May 20th. And we're getting Revelation later too because???????

Revelation gets a later release date in all regions, presumably to encourage people to play at least one of the others first.
  • I have never played either of the first 2, and I'm understanding the plot just fine.

Geralt has a lot of previously established old friends and enemies, but they give you the context you need.
    Okay, noted. Thanks.
  • edited 2016-03-04 01:00:56

And for the Imis in the audience...
    Fun fact, I didn't even pay attention to her boob size until you said Imi.  Then I had to scroll back up to check again because I'd forgotten.
  • could we maybe not recycle Ganondorf's moveset again
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-03-04 01:51:55

Jane said:

oh, Pikmin.

I forgot about that one.

But I think they've kind of abandoned that?
    Nintendo actually announced that Pikmin 4 was in development a few months ago. I was worried about Pikmin's future for a while though, since 3 seemed to be in limbo for a while until it was released on the Wii U in 2013.

That said, I think I will have to recuse myself from this discussion about Nintendo IPs, since I have a pretty obvious pro-Nintendo slant. I guess all I will say is that Splatoon is already one of my favorite Nintendo IPs and I feel like it has a bright future.

Fire Emblem Fates finally has a European release day... of May 20th. And we're getting Revelation later too because???????

Revelation gets a later release date in all regions, presumably to encourage people to play at least one of the others first.
    Except we're getting a special edition with all 3 games and we're already getting the game two months late. :|
  • edited 2016-03-04 02:51:25
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    They don't have an obligation, but if they want to keep brand presence in peoples' heads, they need to make new things. It's marketing. And if they don't want it anymore, they should just announce that they're closing up shop.

And you know what? I've never played Zelda outside of a few isolated incidents. I'm interested in playing the new Zelda game. There's no nostalgia for them to hook me by.
  • You really should play some of them.  They earn their fame.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I will get to it eventually. Maybe I'll pick up Wind Waker HD.

But, anyway, "nostalgia" is a stupid argument because people get interested in old things every day.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-04 03:05:11
    That, and it's a perfectly valid emotional response to play on.  I mean, that's kind of what entertainment is fundamentally supposed to do.  The important part is just doing it well.
  • Bee said:

could we maybe not recycle Ganondorf's moveset again

No, no, we use Ganon's moveset on Black Bull and then give Ganon a new moveset. One that isn't an inexplicable clone of another character.
  • I mean, shit.  Exhibit A.

• You're missing the point anyways. 

The point being that F-Zero is absolutely chock-full of stupidly awesome stuff like Black Bull that's ripe for some sort of multiplayer game. It doesn't even have to be racing, if you don't want to upset the Mario Kart monopoly. A fighting game would be just as appropriate -- a more standard one as opposed to Smash Bros's more casual set-up.
  • Like, I had this great idea where you combine the racing aspects of the series with the inherent fighting potential of it, like with races that determine who gets more health in the next fight, or fights that determine who gets a head start in the next race.

Just...dammit, F-Zero has a ton of weird lore that is just drying up in a corner, and that bugs me. Why do you ignore your old properties, Nintendo; why don't you love us?
  • edited 2016-03-04 03:27:25
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'd play an F-Zero fighting game.

I'd play that F-Zero fighting game.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-04 03:27:38
    That reminds me vaguely of this medieval games thing I had on my NES.  It was supposedly like a triathlon-style series of events, but none of them mattered because it all came down to a swordfight at the end of each tournament and I never noticed anything you did up till then had any impact on it.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    oh hay, a post was addressed to me.

cool
  • I won't lie, they hit it out of the park with Splatoon, but they'll suck that cow dry somehow.

Nintendo's gift is that it has a wide library of properties, any of which can be momentarily rejuvenated by a cameo in Smash Brothers. But it never bloody takes advantage of that except for Kid Icarus. 
    EVO: Search for Eden
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    as for Metroid, it is unfortunate that good games in that series are so few.

that's why HARDCORE 'troiders like me keep resorting to playing hacks and stuff. Currently playing Hyper Metroid, right now
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-04 03:31:11
    ^^^ And Fire Emblem.  And F-Zero GX.  And probably others.

^ Do a minimalist Hypermode run of Prime.  I dare you.  I'm still putting off finishing Prime 2 because goddamn Quadraxis is actually hard on that run.

as for Metroid, it is unfortunate that good games in that series are so few.

"All but two of them"?