General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    No problem.
  • I should play Momodora 1 and Momodora 2.
    Congrats.
    I dedicate this victory to Chaos.
  • Played Fire Emblem Awakening for the first time in a while the other day. I should probably finish it now that it's been long enough the next game is out, but every time I play I get sidetracked from the story by grinding supports because I just want everyone to be married and have good relationships with their family.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-20 01:52:43
    Yeah that's why it's been taking me, like, eight months to finish it.

I CAN'T HELP IT, YOUR CHARACTERS ARE TOO ADORABLE

And seriously, Chrom is the best protagonist the series has ever had.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Haven said:

Played Fire Emblem Awakening for the first time in a while the other day. I should probably finish it now that it's been long enough the next game is out, but every time I play I get sidetracked from the story by grinding supports because I just want everyone to be married and have good relationships with their family.

I made a commitment to finish it a few months ago and I still haven't.
  • The game has so many amazing conversations.  Avatar tricking Maribelle into going Cockney.  Chrom recruiting his pega-pony princess.  Gregor's ridiculous romance advice to Cordelia.  Miriel guilt-tripping Stahl into letting her study his miraculous averageness by every conceivable measure.  Olivia going Solid Snake on her son.  Anything with Owain -- including throwaway combat quotes.

I feel like I'd think Nowi and Lon'qu playing House would be a lot more hilarious if Nowi's romances weren't all suuuuper creepy.  Please stop doing this, Japan.

If I had to pick a favorite, Owain x Cynthia is a thing of timeless beauty.
  • Bee said:

I feel like I'd think Nowi and Lon'qu playing House would be a lot more hilarious if Nowi's romances weren't all suuuuper creepy.  Please stop doing this, Japan.

I didn't mind Nowi/Henry.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You put Nowi and someone else who is also a kid but more responsible. Like Donnel.

I like how each relationship is Beat A, Beat B, Beat C, and all of that leads to friendship, but then you can cultivate Beat D, and that makes sense and I love that, but sometimes the seams show.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-20 04:06:05
    Like, it wouldn't have been nearly so bad if she had grown-up moments and owned her age every once in a while.  But no, she really is just an even less mature Pinkie Pie all the time, with no off switch.  Her marriage conversations are basically POMF =3.  She doesn't even hint at any other facet of her character until halfway through her chain with her own fucking daughter.

I wound up pairing her with Ricken because I figured him and Donny were the ones least likely to get carted off by the FBI for hooking up with her.  And then Nah got Lifetaker and everything went better than expected.

EDIT: ^ Manakete with Aptitude.  Because Donny wasn't broken enough by himself.
    I went out and bought Fire Emblem Birthright. Even though I haven’t finished Awakening.

Two reasons: One, red packets from Chinese New Year meant that I had some cash lying around. Cash that, when I carry it around, makes me uneasy.

Two, they didn’t have Conquest, but that’s fine, I was getting Birthright anyway.

I’ll run character creation and run the first few missions tonight before bed. And then it’s back to grinding out Awakening’s social links.
    Jesus Christ, Birthright/Conquest has so many more characters than Awakening does. And they’re all social-linkable.
    So I figured I'd try to get all of Blue Baby's unlocks and found this.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    fire emblem dilemma: do i want to play as a cute girl but have to marry a dude or do i want to play as a dude and marry a cute girl

being gay is hard
  • I always go for the be a girl to get the guy option
  • Don't the new Fire Emblem games both have a same-sex option?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    if a game lets me play as a cute girl I almost always do so
    Bee said:

Don't the new Fire Emblem games both have a same-sex option?

the lesbian option is a stalker + a reused model of a female character from the last fire emblem game so

ehhhhhhhh.
  • Epitome said:

fire emblem dilemma: do i want to play as a cute girl but have to marry a dude or do i want to play as a dude and marry a cute girl

being gay is hard
    I feel this so hard.
  • Epitome said:

Bee said:

the lesbian option is a stalker + a reused model of a female character from the last fire emblem game so

ehhhhhhhh.
    ffs

• "gay options" are somehow more annoying than having no gay stuff whatsoever
    Yeah, at least for me. More than a little disappointing.
  • Rubicon X is a great game with utterly labyrinthine level design. Even moreso than the main Marathon series.
  • Epitome said:

Bee said:

ehhhhhhhh.
    well shit

Haven said:
    oh my god

• edited 2016-02-21 01:07:20
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The idling features in this thing are so involved. You get your own fortress, you can build stuff, your characters will stroll around and talk to each other, a hubba reader building (which I could never find in Awakening), feed your pet dragon, harvest daily stuff, and best of all, you can zoom into your fortress and see a full 3D model of everything. Can't walk around as a 3D model, but it's good enough.

Also, isn't there a female merc who is also romanceable by either sex?
  • edited 2016-02-21 01:01:31
    MachSpeed said:

Also, isn't there a female merc who is also romanceable by either sex?

As far as I'm aware there is only one gay option of each gender, so presumably this is the same character Epitome mentioned.

Also, bought Birthright. I may or may not actually start a campaign today, but either way I probably won't be able to devote much time until Monday evening or so.
    Oh yeah, it's just Rhajat.

I was thinking of Soleil.
    MachSpeed said:

soleil is a lesbian whose s-supports with guys are all platonic in the NA version but she still doesn't have any s-supports with girls for some reason
  • not an (active) Nintendo or Fire Emblem person at all but

they knew damn well they didn't have to make the whole game $80 and only available in bundled form as a Special Edition

thing ends up being more expensive than most home console titles with the current pricing model but it's ~Fire Emblem~ so they know people are gonna buy it anyway
    Epitome said:

MachSpeed said:

soleil is a lesbian whose s-supports with guys are all platonic in the NA version but she still doesn't have any s-supports with girls for some reason
    ok i looked at her actual english support now with corrin and her s-rank isn't platonic (curse you, misinformation giveeeers) but she does still talk about how much she likes cute girls the whole route and she blindfolds herself and pretends corrin's a cute girl the whole time so she can build up a tolerance and stop fainting around girls

if we can romance lon'qu who's like deathly afraid of women (and i did) then let me romance this gay merc
  • Oh, it's that girl.

Wasn't it originally 'i'll take this pill so Corrin will look like a girl and all the girls will look like boys, then dating him won't be a big deal'?

I vaguely remember Tumblr being upset over that
    Wouldn't Soleil be great as a bisexual?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Tre said:

not an (active) Nintendo or Fire Emblem person at all but

they knew damn well they didn't have to make the whole game $80 and only available in bundled form as a Special Edition

thing ends up being more expensive than most home console titles with the current pricing model but it's ~Fire Emblem~ so they know people are gonna buy it anyway
    Each version is as long as a standard Fire Emblem game. Only the first five maps are wholly shared, and any other reused maps have completely different objectives.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-21 09:22:13
    I think I'm past the last big difficulty cliff of Avernum 2 Torment.  My tank has stopped dying to a stiff breeze and picked up main healing/curing duties, so the full priest can freely melt faces.  Everyone else just got durable enough to take out the "hi I'm a teleporting permanent-frenzy assassin who summons absurdly durable AOE-silence-spamming minions" boss.

Things went a lot faster once I finally managed to get past the ridiculous vahnatai ambushes on the way to Gaddika's Fort.  Just inside is an easy boss that drops Discipline Blade.  I gave it to a mage along with the tank's +weapon gloves, which got her a skill that basically lets her go completely apeshit on the first turn, and makes it a lot easier to thin out the massive crowds the game throws at you on overworld encounters.  The other mage has some Gymnastics gear and Mercuric Leather, so she's got a half-decent chance of doubling on any given turn too.

The last major thing I have to make sure happens before a specific point is getting the first Crystal Soul before dinging 29, for some rather silly build optimization reasons.  Beyond that, I'm pretty much home free.

The game is kind of silly.  The first game's remake sort of opened up the map in little segments that all allowed you to make a decent amount of progress on all three main quest threads over time.  This game opens up the entire map immediately after the prologue, but everything related to the three main quests is WAY the fuck too dangerous to even consider until you're nearly at the monster level cap, so you basically grind to 25+ against the lowbie quests (itself a relative term, as most of them are tuned to ~20 and there's not much you can do immediately after leaving the vahanatai lands).
  • so does anybody know how to do this bullshit

I'm trying to figure out how to host games in Aleph One so I can play Marathon Infinity with CC (and possibly other people here if they were so interested) but I can't figure it out.
  • I got as far as typing your IP address as an address in the browser bar, I can't get the actual page to show up, just gives me a blank webpage.
  • oh, wait, no, I got it.

I typed it wrong -_-;
  • ok, so I've got a Belkin router, where am I going to set up port forwarding for a game?
  • When I see "port forwarding" these days I usually just chalk it up to "I should download Hamachi".
  • ok, well I'm not gonna do that, cuz I don't know what that is.
  • I'm not perfectly sure either but the way I understand it is that it creates another internet access IP address or something like that for your computer, a "fake" one that only communicates with LogMeIn's Hamachi servers, and then lets computers that connect to those servers to find and connect to each other, so that people can use that to play online games together that would otherwise require them to find unusual ways to get around their firewalls.
  • petition for people to start using the word "trapformer" so they can stop talking about "fair" and "unfair" platformers
  • edited 2016-02-23 07:56:47
    I use the term "troll platformer" or "platform hell".

Troll platformer is a platformer that aims to intentionally mess with the player.

Platform hell is a platformer that is intentionally very difficult.

Not all troll platformers are platform hell.  For example, Eryi's Action is quite playable, just trollish.
  • Crystal Soul down.  Everyone has their time-limited skills trained with enough levels to spare to optimize their builds, and I now have two mages with Adrenaline Rush.

At this point I expect things are going to be pretty simple, if drawn-out.  Up till now it's mostly been a carefully-paced race to hit Crown Clearance and the first Crystal Soul with enough levels left to exploit their training for extra defensive points.  Now I get to back up and nail all the smaller dungeons and encounters that I skipped for loot, maybe pick up a haakai for the spirit prism (lol battle frenzy).

From what I remember, the endgame was absolutely pathetic compared to the meat grinder you had to go through to get there.  I could probably give Garzahd the Noob a run for his money right now if it didn't require a plot weapon I can't get for another several levels.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    favourite puzzle rooms in 999 at this moment in time: kitchen, operating room, captain's quarters

i felt bad for visiting the shower room.  Like i'd forced Junpei to act ooc and put the characters through distress just for the sake of completionism.