General Video Game Thread

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yeah same. Or actually, probably not. You can do that for me!
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'll try to remember. >_>
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I think I'll play Bastion again.
  • edited 2016-03-01 06:25:01
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    *sneezes*
    Bee said:

I never understood the point of rereleasing Xenoblade on 3DS.  Like, not only is it pretty much the only 3DS game out there that requires the new model nobody has.  But half the appeal of the game was its gorgeousness, and on a screen that small all that's really left is mooning over how British everyone is.

Guess you're not really feeling it.
  • My roommate was talking about it the day it dropped.

Not sure if it's really my thing but I commend its willingness to reflect the player's identity, and indie successes are the best kind of successes.
  • Hey @Crystal, what were the two platformers on Steam you pointed me to the other day?
    I... honestly can't remember without looking at the logs, sorry. I find them through my Queue, and I'm used to going through my Queue in 30-60s, so unless I'm super interested in them like with Slain!, they're easy to forget since I just follow/wishlist them.
  • It was one with a generic-sounding word for a name.  Like Introception or something.

The other was Momodora 4 I think.
    Yeah I skimmed my wishlist and following lists and I got nothing. If you don't find them later (Momodora 4 sounds about right though), hit me up sometime tomorrow and I'll give another look when I'm more lucid. It might also have been an itch.io link, as I've been returning to that more often.

• If you've got chat logs, see if you can find the time you mentioned Momodora 4 to me on IRC.  You mentioned it along with another game, if I recall correctly.  Both are Steam things.
  • Momodora is a franchise of indie metroidvanias if memory serves.
  • Yeah it is.  The dev's homepage has links to all four installments -- the fourth one is upcoming.
  • Let me try to guess at that other game.

It's something that looked vaguely reminiscent of some of the following games:
    * Timespinner
    * Chasm

At least visually, it looked that way.  Like, kinda brown, but also vibrantly colorful.

Unfortunately there's like 25 pages of platformers on Steam to look through.
  • this game is a clone of a webgame I remember playing ages ago

does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was almost literally the same thing but the graphics and general presentation were a bit better
  • I look at more footage of Dark Souls and I am still on the fence about Dark Souls.

Though sorta leaning against it.
  • To be honest, the game doesn't really look that inviting to me; it's just that people tell me about how much exploration there is to do.

The exploration seems to be the only draw for me, though.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-02 08:10:59
    Avernum 2 Torment run complete.  Garzahd is still a noob, albeit one I had a hunch I should pop invulnerability/speed elixirs against and was proved right -- apparently his damage ramps up very quickly on Torment, and I suspect he would've oneshot me in another 2-3 turns even through 11 resist, Ward of Elements, and invulnerability.

The Empire Portal was kind of silly, because there were random mages and assassins running around that were more powerful and had more HP than the actual boss.  The last two Crystal Souls were barely worth mentioning, though apparently the Angierach lich has a bonus to damage based on HP lost, and I had to invulnerability pot against her too.
  • To be honest, the game doesn't really look that inviting to me; it's just that people tell me about how much exploration there is to do.

who tf is telling you that exploration is the draw of Dark Souls

no, you'd almost certainly hate the entire Souls metaseries. Please stay away from it.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Well I do like poking around areas.
  • Yeah, there is an exploratory bent to the mechanics, too.
  • Jane said:

To be honest, the game doesn't really look that inviting to me; it's just that people tell me about how much exploration there is to do.

who tf is telling you that exploration is the draw of Dark Souls

no, you'd almost certainly hate the entire Souls metaseries. Please stay away from it.
    A couple friends at least, who have been telling me about how there are entire hidden areas and how various paths that seem explorable actually are and lead to all sorts of interesting features, and there's a lot to discover on one's own, and so on and so forth.

What would you say is the main draw(s)?
  • I mean there's sort of a metroidvania element--and the whole series is gorgeous aesthetically--but the main focus is on the combat system.

Which is terrific mind you, one of the best, but that is mostly what the game's about.
  • I'd say go for it and don't drown yourself in expectations. More than anything it is just a damn fine game.
  • edited 2016-03-03 00:49:57
    It seems to be a high-quality game.

It's just not really particularly high on my to-play list, and I have a few friends who keep on telling me to play it.

But, I don't really want to.  I don't "need it in my life" right now.  And furthermore, I don't think I'll enjoy it very much.
  • Well, frankly you've got damn weird tastes so maybe don't go for it? Idk. In general it's best to not lose yourself in your own wants because no game ever fully caters.
    I am liking Soma better than Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
  • edited 2016-03-03 01:10:47
    Well right now I want to play Pokémon Crystal and Unepic and maybe Trails in the Sky.

In general though I'd say here's my view of what I know of Dark Souls:

* it has lots of exploration, which is something I'd like.
    * its combat is slow and deliberate, which may be something I'd like, but that depends on how frequently it occurs before I can get where I want to go, and also depends on how well it fits with the atmosphere.
    * the difficulty is also reputed to be rather high.  I may enjoy this if I feel invested in the game (e.g. La-Mulana, the Ys games) but on the other hand if I don't feel invested this just makes the game a slog at best and make me drop it at worst.  So it could go either way.
    * it also seems to have detailed customization of combat and abilities, which is something that I'm somewhat more likely to find tedious than interesting, on balance.
    * movement is also slow and deliberate, which is something I'd probably get tired of after a while.
    * it is very sparse on music, which is something I'd probably not like that much.  It seems to do atmosphere pretty well, and I generally appreciate atmospheric cues, but it does set atmosphere using visuals and ambience rather than music, which isn't my favorite way of doing it (though I can't say I dislike this way either).
    * it doesn't have much in the way of aesthetic elements that I particularly like.  I don't dislike the game's aesthetics, but they just don't particularly inspire interest.
    I'd lean on you not liking it in that case.
    Maybe you'd like Shadow of the Colossus
  • Maybe you'd like Shadow of the Colossus

I've been meaning to play ICO for a while now.  NO PS2 though.
    Is is on PS3 if yo have that
  • Don't have that either, sorry.
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-03-03 04:26:11

I've already beat 2/4 of the games I currently own for the 3DS and the fourth one got lost in the move, AFAICT. What would you guys recommend I get?

I second Haven's Smash Bros. rec. I also liked Bravely Default and Majora's Mask 3D a lot.

BD has some of my all-time favorite turn-based RPG gameplay. I am not a huge fan of the story (it gets a bit repetitive) and characters, but I think the gameplay makes up for it. BD has a demo on the eshop if you would like to try it out and see what you think.

I think MM3D is largely an improvement on Majora's Mask and makes the more annoying parts of that game (i.e., the saving system) a lot more manageable.

There is always Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire too. As an Animal Crossing fan, I liked New Leaf a bunch as well, but I understand that that series is very much your mileage may vary territory.
  • edited 2016-03-03 04:44:06
    BD = Blue Dragon?

edit: no wait, Bravely Default, presumably
  • Jane said:

this game is a clone of a webgame I remember playing ages ago

does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was almost literally the same thing but the graphics and general presentation were a bit better
    also
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Manjusri looks so fucking cool as a Hoshidan Noble.

Mozu, the new Donnel, can't reclass as a bow knight or something right now, but she can become a Master-Of-Arms and wield the entire weapon triangle, which is rad. Also, getting her to grow was much easier.
  • Boring Nintendo Direct, but I loved how insistent they were that the new Metroid game was worthy of, like, existing. The contempt was palpable. It was hilarious.
  • I feel like Nintendo has like....no faith at all in the Metroid franchise, which is very peculiar.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-03 23:07:35
    They seemed determined to make that a self-fulfilling prophecy with Other M.

EDIT: Just watched it.  Still looks awful.
    They also have no faith in Paper Mario, and 3D Mario games in general
    Other M was such a weird thing
  • I dunno, people have such a weird relationship with Nintendo franchises. Don't release games and people get mad, do release games and people say you're "exploiting nostalgia." It's tiring.
  • Same thing has happened with the Mega Man franchise, actually.
  • edited 2016-03-03 23:17:01
    I prefer this clear delineation between more trivial spinoff games (TriForce Heroes, Federation Force) and mainline games to a weaker whole.

And it seems like the clearer examples of "exploiting nostalgia" are never called out as such. Hyrule Warriors, fun as it was, was absolutely gratuitous in how it just threw Zelda Iconic Moments at the player over and over. Pokemon has been trying to capture Gen 1's lightning in a bottle for two generations and literally has remakes of older games as part of the regular release schedule. Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival was... yeah.
  • But no, the existence of a new Zelda game is "exploiting nostalgia." Whatever. This is why I stopped paying attention to video game fandom.
    Man fuck fandom.
    Anyway the Witcher 3 is the best open-world game I've played in a while. Also it has this