General Video Game Thread

Comments

• The new Splatoon stage is pretty great. Conveyor belts, whee!
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    In Pewdiepie's Amnesia The Dark Descent videos, which he made when he was just starting out, he hides from a monster, then knocks some barrels over accidentally, alerting the monster. He then made a joke about the barrels working against him.

You now know how far Pewds can run a joke into the ground.
  • I wish I for real didn't know who Pewdiepie is.
  • edited 2015-12-29 19:20:10
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Praise Be to The Great Carry. A most thoroughly appreciated item, The Pinking Shears.

Edit: Will be doing this, eventually, in the future. Gotta get me those Eden tokens (the unlocks are cool too).
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I should have listened to that advice to put on music while doing this. Goodness, I am a slow one sometimes.
  • I picked up Goocubelets 1 & 2 for a few cents' worth of income from trading card spam.

Don't bother.  It's not very good.  Decent ideas, but the inconsistent physics ruins it.
    Do you mind elaborating?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-30 23:56:08
    It's a Sokoban style thing where you roll goo cubes around.  But instead of the movement being scripted directly to the grid, it's done by an inconsistent physics engine.

Like, about halfway through the first game you have to roll your cube over single holes in a high-rise, but sometimes it just doesn't work and falls through, or the cube spins a bit in the air while crossing the hole and ends up offset by half a grid unit.  Or you have to go over a hole, push a cube on the opposite side, and end up in the target's old space -- but instead your cube stops while pushing the other one and falls through the hole.  Keep in mind it has digital input so there's no way to moderate or adjust your speed and momentum and make this less likely.  Later levels make you do so many of these operations that completing it becomes a dice roll.

The second game introduces more things that would be interesting if they weren't also fucked up by bad physics.  Places where you have to skirt the cube along a transverse edge, and it'll just randomly fall off.  Floor pieces connected at an angle that are clearly supposed to have a couple grid slots' worth of spaces that can support your weight, but rolling over them or pushing other cubes over them will randomly offset it by a fraction of a grid space.  Stairs, which will almost always offset you from the grid.  Ink cubes, which restart the puzzle if anything touches their ink stain -- but are often placed at non-grid intervals and it's nearly impossible to predict their death zones (made worse by the camera pulling out really far on some later levels, which fucks with depth and how close you are to them).

Oh, and because it's physics-based instead of scripted, there's no undo button or anything.

It's like the devs never played it with debug settings off.  My only consolation is that it only cost me $0.49 and might pay for itself with the trading cards if I leave both games idle for a few hours.
  • Bee said:

It's a Sokoban style thing where you roll goo cubes around.  But instead of the movement being scripted directly to the grid, it's done by an inconsistent physics engine.

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

why would one do this
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-31 00:01:41
    BECAUSE PHYSICS ARE COOL

even if they don't fucking work

Oh and the first game is also really, REALLY badly optimized.
    Well, drat, I was rather interested in those games. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Jane said:

Bee said:

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

why would one do this
    because Bad Rats is a successful game
    Crystal said:

I should have listened to that advice to put on music while doing this. Goodness, I am a slow one sometimes.

It is happening and it is so darn fun.
    imageimage
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Requiescat in pace.
  • edited 2015-12-31 16:32:19
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Requiescat in pace.

I died on Dank Depths I with one of the strongest non-Guppy setups I've ever had. As Keeper.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Keeper OP, plz nerf.
  • my little sister wants an edgy, dark and mysterious hidden object game on steam
    I bought Five Nights at Freddy's 3, and have been trying to beat it.

I read the community guides, never have I been more aware of this game having an audience of 12 year olds. Even the more helpful guides read like this

""you need to let Foxy jumpscare you because for whatever reason that makes Springtrap go to CAM 2 after Foxy has jumpscared you simply stay on CAM 2 and keep playing the audio as much as possible, if you do this right Sprintrap will go from CAM 2 to Vent 15 (CAM 15) once he is at CAM 15 close that AS FAST AS YOU CAN.""
    Usually when something declares itself "The Ultimate Guide" to a game, it is not seven badly written paragraphs, five of which are about lore speculation and the remaining two of which are about easter eggs.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    what lore does fnaf even have anyways
    Frig, it feels weird to have sacrifice rooms be useful, and actually gunning for Angel Rooms, kind of.
    I now realize people will be referencing David Tennant in Jessica Jones until the day I die.
    It begins (also I should have saved that other Dagaz rune for the next floor, oops).
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-04 07:29:47
    I'm getting back into Shipping Simulator 2013 Fire Emblem Awakening to get ready for Fates.  I forgot how terrible half of these units are and how amazing like a fifth of them are.  I'm pretty sure Chrom, Lucina, Robin, and Morgan could pair up however they like and annihilate almost the entire game by now, but it feels like cheating.

Also I was playing Divinity: Original Sin with one of my friends earlier today, and ran into flaming skeletons.  I was reduced to buffbot because I'm playing a pyro mage who's spent most of the game so far setting half the field on fire.  Like, I guess I can also rain dance and zap standing water with a lightning staff to AOE stun (which we had to do a few times), but it's nearly impossible to control that because you can't see the terrain well enough to predict where puddles happen, and you wind up stunning your own melee half the time.
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-01-05 04:13:13

Splatoon is a good game.

While I am still pretty mediocre at it (or just plain bad depending on your perspective), it is one of the few games that I can play for hours on end without getting bored. And that is saying something given that I mostly stick to the splattershot jr. and have barely tried any of the other weapons.

I am definitely looking forward to the next splatfest, even if I know I will probably get rekted again in it, haha.
    <3 Hush with my favorite character, Lilith, beaten.
    I laughed. I want this so much.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-07 07:50:25
    I just finished the final bonus level of Super Mario 3D World as Toad.  That was horrible and Toad is horrible.

Just Rosalina left.  At least she can jump decently.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Jane said:
    Yeah, I'll play that.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Toad is not horrible
  • I watched a guy play it to the end.

The ending is stupid but the rest of the game is solid.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-07 17:59:37
    Just how far did you get with Toad?  Because later levels rely on jumps he's barely capable of without a cat/tanuki suit, and jumping rhythms that get disrupted because he's just slightly too fast but not fast enough to make a positive difference.

Champion's Road with Toad was like pulling teeth -- moreso than any other character.  His speed is just wrong to slip between the single-space blocks whenever you jump unless you adjust and interrupt his momentum every time, he gets so little airtime that the butt-stomp trick for the beat blocks has to be frame-perfect, and even killing the magikoopas sucked because he barely jumps high enough to stomp airborne enemies from sinking blocks.
  • That moment in Fire Emblem when you bring in a C-list character for plot purposes, an enemy procs Vantage + Astra on her, and she dodges all five hits because fuck yeah.
  • Yeah those moments are quite a thing. 

Then again, I run MAXIMUM MYRMIDON, partially because engineering those situations is just that hilarious. 
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-08 03:22:48
    I'm running a lot of myrmidons in this playthrough too.  Mostly because the dedicated axe users in Awakening are almost all fucking awful (too slow, no resist, no defense, or all of the above (fuck you Vaike)) and I'm better off giving an axe to a Hero or even just fighting lance users with lances.
  • There's something special about consistently having a high crit chance and two attacks per round, too. 
  • OWAIN NEEDS NO AID
    Bee said:

Just how far did you get with Toad?  Because later levels rely on jumps he's barely capable of without a cat/tanuki suit, and jumping rhythms that get disrupted because he's just slightly too fast but not fast enough to make a positive difference.

Champion's Road with Toad was like pulling teeth -- moreso than any other character.  His speed is just wrong to slip between the single-space blocks whenever you jump unless you adjust and interrupt his momentum every time, he gets so little airtime that the butt-stomp trick for the beat blocks has to be frame-perfect, and even killing the magikoopas sucked because he barely jumps high enough to stomp airborne enemies from sinking blocks.
    I got nowhere with Toad because I have not played the game.

I'm just saying I like Toad as a character, is all
  • Nothing beats playing Showdown, running two Prankster users and being called a "fag" who should "get cancer and die" after winning a match
  • It just occurred to me that maybe I am not the nicest person.
    I HAVE BEEN ACCIDENTALLY SUMMONED
    MAXIMUM MYRMIDON