General Video Game Thread

Comments

• edited 2015-11-06 03:18:36
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Mushihimesama, a beautiful fantasy-themed danmaku first released in Japanese arcades in 2004 and made by the venerable Cave, is now on Steam and translated into English. The level design is top-notch and very challenging. Modes include Novice (for babbies), Original (fugging hard), Maniac (absurdly hard), Ultra (will instantly annihilate you), and Arrange (a somewhat different rebalanced version originating on PS2). Like any good shmup, there are online leaderboards, replay sharing, and a training mode. The (until now) super-rare Version 1.5 is also available as paid DLC, as is the game's lovely soundtrack. Miko highly recommends this game. :3

Change it to Crystal and yeah. A shmup certainly worth playing if you're gong to pick any.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I could only play the babby mode
  • A friend of mine is selling her Panzer Dragoon Saga, the whole Saga, anyways It's on here at the moment, check it out if you're interested, It's the lowest price on here at the moment, $374.99 by user OctopusRainbows
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    It would be super cool if I had monies to collect things like a Saturn and 375-dollar games for it. One day... one day. ;w;
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Neat, very very neat.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Overwatch is going to cost $40 minimum and I'm not happy about it. I don't see how that's a justifiable price when I assumed it was going to be F2P.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-11-07 01:34:37

It'll get less expensive as time goes by, and there's always the possibility that they'll go free with it like what happened to TF2 after it was out for a while.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I really like the characters too. But I can't justify dropping that much on it.
  • edited 2015-11-07 02:39:54
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
  • Move over Mario Kart.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-11-08 07:22:36
    Okay, my screwing-around runs of Metroid Prime 2 are done.  100% on Veteran, and a 4:12 sorta-speedrun of Normal.

Now...the Hypermode minimalist.

God help me.  Echoes is way, WAY harder than Prime 1.

EDIT: It's underway.  I'm past the Space Jump boots and about to hit the pirate base.

Dark Aether sucks balls without those two extra energy tanks, but the good news is the early bosses and minibosses aren't that bad because you spend them inside a safe zone.  So as long as you don't completely shitlord things several times in a row, you're going to out-regenerate the boss.  Still, Ing in general have a fuckton of HP on Hypermode.  It takes like a minute and a half to kill the first Warrior Ing you run across, and Jump Guardian is really long.

Weirdly, the most dangerous boss so far was the Alpha Splinter.  Not the Dark Alpha Splinter.  He's still a wuss.  But the 30-second bit you have to burn through before it gets possessed by Ing, because regular-ass Alpha Splinter leads you when he charges, and can kill you in four hits -- as he did to me the first time.

The most dangerous thing so far, of course, is pirate ambushes, and I died once to a 3x ambush coming out of Dark Aether in the giant portal room with no cover whatsoever.  The pair of Dark Pirates were tense, but doable.

Total deaths: 2
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-11-09 07:21:09
    At Amorbis.  He killed me three times so far, because he's surprisingly difficult on Hypermode with no energy tanks to outlast his really long laser spam, and no light ammo to power through it.  None of his breakables drop ammo, so you're on your own, and just about any of his attacks will do about half your health.  Also when he vacuums you in for the morph ball bomb, you'll randomly take 25 damage after getting spit out.  It's not consistent.

Also died once to getting caught in Dark Aether in a room full of tentacles that would not fucking retract, and one super-cheap instant death when I was running past a Phazon tank and an Inglet behind me shot it >:(

Surprisingly, I clutched Dark Samus on the first try, after spending half the fight at 8 health.  Her first half is kinda cheese because her movement is so erratic and she'll randomly ram you.  But while her second phase is heavy on invulnerability frames the movement is a lot more predictable.

Total deaths: 7
  • edited 2015-11-09 08:06:55

what on earth needs to update on GOG

most of the games on there are like 20 years old
    A while ago, they started carrying recent games.

Also, some devs/publishers actually like to try to maintain and bugfix their releases.

And you get situations like The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky where the code is basically held together by duct tape and the good grace of the gods and an update can easily break something for anyone.
  • no humble bundle, i'm not gonna give you money for your monthly bundle if you're not even gonna tell me what games i'm getting, sorry
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    New Isaac patch. Azazel is fixed. Greed mode now crashes the game if you try to play it.
  • New Isaac patch. Azazel is fixed. Greed mode now crashes the game if you try to play it.

That sucks.

It is ~masterful bug testing~.
  • I started an Eden Run in greed mode the other day, I started with Brimstone, Burnt Penny, and teleport, and I lost in the first floor due to poor play and misplaced bombs.
    Apparently they broke all 3 superbosses, because they don't test their release builds.

back on topic, we believe we know whats causing the crashing in large boss rooms (greed,MS and H) sadly it only happens in release...

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Jesus christ, how does this happen?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-11-13 21:58:57
    Zeether said:
    I mean 8 makes sense.  But they'll localize a rerelease of 7, one of their worst western releases, but not 10?  Come on Squenix!
  • Jesus christ, how does this happen?

Basically the 20 or so testers they have playing the game are a very different beast from the thousands that play the retail version.

I talked to somebody on Modding of Isaac about it a while ago and it's very peculiar stuff.

Bee said:

Zeether said:
    I mean 8 makes sense.  But they'll localize a rerelease of 7, one of their worst western releases, but not 10?  Come on Squenix!
    DQX would take a lot since it's an online game. I think XI is a more realistic localization, but which version would come here is another story...
  • Jane said:

Jesus christ, how does this happen?

Basically the 20 or so testers they have playing the game are a very different beast from the thousands that play the retail version.

I talked to somebody on Modding of Isaac about it a while ago and it's very peculiar stuff.

• edited 2015-11-14 16:46:06
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The Keeper is now finally playable after the completion of the ARG (the solution to which was "Live in Santa Ana".)

To unlock him you need to put 1000 coins in the Greed machine. Have fun with that one.

EDIT: Oh, also you can't unlock The Lost through seeds now.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I JUST FOUND OUT THAT YOU CAN BUILD CITIES IN FALLOUT 4

FALLOUT: SKYLINES

I was interested in buying it before, but now I'm genuinely excited to. I just wanna build some post-apocalyptic cities. 
  • 1. Is it just me or am I less desiring than average of "sandbox" opportunities in my gaming tastes?

2. Does the amount of desiring of "sandbox" opportunities in games vary significantly by culture?

3. If the answers to both 1 and 2 are yes, to what extent does has culture influenced my taste?

4. Are there any other confounding factors?  For example, what effect does growing up with certain types of games, by itself, have?  How do these factors affect the results found in questions 2 and 3?
    I finally beat the "Destroy Escaping MT" mission in Armored Core 3 after failing it one too many times because I didn't figure out where the second enemy MT comes out. For some ridiculous reason even when I pass by the door it leaves from it still manages to escape me and guides online do suggest killing the first MT when it's by that door...I have no idea.
  • 1. Is it just me or am I less desiring than average of "sandbox" opportunities in my gaming tastes?

2. Does the amount of desiring of "sandbox" opportunities in games vary significantly by culture?

3. If the answers to both 1 and 2 are yes, to what extent does has culture influenced my taste?

4. Are there any other confounding factors?  For example, what effect does growing up with certain types of games, by itself, have?  How do these factors affect the results found in questions 2 and 3?

AAA game studios like sandbox games because it makes it easier to appeal to a wider variety of players. What you're experiencing is marketing saturation.

On top of that there are a lot of indie pseudo-sandbox games, just because that's where the money is seen as being right now.

The Keeper is now finally playable after the completion of the ARG (the solution to which was "Live in Santa Ana".)

To unlock him you need to put 1000 coins in the Greed machine. Have fun with that one.

EDIT: Oh, also you can't unlock The Lost through seeds now.

these are good things
    I tried out a new graphics replacer mod for Morrowind today, Morrowind Watercolored. It's absolutely gorgeous. It's true to the original graphics, but gives everything a softer look to it. It's essentially just th vanilla textures doubled in size and with a filter thrown on, but I can't complain. 

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    looks pretty nice.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    That looks really nice.
    It's by far my favorite graphics mod I've found so far.
  • It really works to fix the whole "everything's too brown" problem Morrowind had.
    It will never cease to amuse me that the imperial blades master in Morrowind, ostensibly a high ranking and highly trusted government official, chills shirtless in his room doing drugs all day.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Hylics looks like a terrible JRPG but an interesting random text generator.
    Hylics.
  • edited 2015-11-17 13:40:35
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Hylics is a pretty standard JRPG set-up. You have attacks, spells, guard, a party, quests, and sidequests. 

You could say it's kind of like OFF, in that what distinguishes it from "normal" JRPGs is the aesthetic and the renaming of stats and items into weird things. There's also another gimmick, in that all the flavor text is just random generator garbage, which is not something the game itself tells you. For me, the illusion breaks after around half an hour of trying to piece together the meanings. And piecing together a cohesive understanding of the strange and esoteric world around you from randomized words can be fun. It's like, nobody's playthrough could possibly be the same, because it's random. At least, in theory.

The problem is that the illusion breaks because it's a pretty standard JRPG. People say things that don't have the cadence and syntax of the randomized lines, because it needs to be played, finished, and completed. They speak like normal people, albeit about strange subjects and objects, because they need to sell you things and give you quests.

There's structure and cohesion to it that works against the chaos that it's so in love with. The world of Hylics is different from playthrough to playthrough, but the quests and mechanical seams always stay the same.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I replayed and beat World of Goo again.

It is a good game.
  • gawwd. so i booted Heroes of the Storm up again today after not playing for a while, and there's a new hero out by the name of Cho'Gall.

This particular hero is a two-headed ogre that requires two people to play, one controlling each of the heads. Does that sound kind of ridiculous? It is, it's extremely ridiculous, but it's also some of the most fun I've ever had playing this dumb game.

One of the heads is a beefy warrior type (this head's player is the one that controls the hero's movement) and the other one is a dark wizard, and as either head you can take talents that synergize with or enhance your buddy's abilities in some way. Tremendously fun.
  • I think that's a minor WoW character.

HoTS is interesting but I hate things that require me to cooperate with people I don't know. It's like getting a group assignment except instead of describing the water cycle your assignment is to fell the enemy's fortress.
  • Jane said:

I think that's a minor WoW character.

HoTS is interesting but I hate things that require me to cooperate with people I don't know. It's like getting a group assignment except instead of describing the water cycle your assignment is to fell the enemy's fortress.
    Yep, though Cho'gall was originally originally introduced in Warcraft II in the Orc campaign as the head of the Twilight's Hammer clan.
  • i can definitely understand that sentiment haha. i have a couple friends i usually party up with when i play, which helps take the edge off
  • ^^also i think probably the origins of the Ogre Magi hero in DOTA2
  • anyway hots is basically the most casual moba there is which is cool, cuz i can just chill and mess around and have a good time with my friends without having to be super serious or shit. i haven't even touched the game's ranked mode, i'm all about that quick match