General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Isn't Yume 2kki not even translated
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    does it have dialogue?  i don't remember there being dialogue in the first game
  • There are some books you can read in Library World, and it gets a little confusing when you have >20 Effects with names in the native Japanese, but you kinda just get used to it after a while.

There is not much reading, certainly.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Elite: Dangerous is very good, even when I'm not sure of what to do. All I know now is that I need to get out of the star system I'm in, because everyone on the subreddit and the official forums has said that it is a terrible place.
  • edited 2015-12-01 04:22:13
    Upon looking at the Nintendo 3DS eShop, I am suddenly wondering why I don't have a 3DS and why I don't have like $40 at a time lying around collecting dust and ready to be thrown at things like Lord of Magna or Rune Factory 4.

Okay, to be fair, I'm exaggerating a bit, as I haven't even seen the trailers for them, and I wouldn't normally buy games without even seeing the store page descriptions and trailers for them.  I do know they're both XSEED titles though so I know at least the localization will have been done well.

This is why I should stay at Steam, at least for now.  They have fewer games that I want.  I'm not seeing potentially good games everywhere I turn.

And besides, I've basically cleaned out most of the games I want already.  And at rock-bottom discount prices.  So I'm not tempted.
  • I wonder if I should post what I just posted, on the Steam forum, knowing that it can be flamebait.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I like how in Dragon Age Inquisition, you get unique dialogue and decisions options based on your class. It's roleplaying, in a way, using mechanics and the situation at hand to define the character.
  • Okay, let's be frank here.

There are too many great games in existence.

I cannot, in any practical way, give all of them the attention they each deserve and the money their devteams each deserve, unless I have a time machine (to play and discover all these games) and a bottomless vault filled with money (to reward those people who do good work with it).

The only question, then, is how best to select which ones to play.
  • I would appreciate it if ME let my Engineer do Engineer stuff every once in a while.

I'm still angry that the Geth Mindscape quest in ME3 gives all Shepherds a gun tool. A good Engineer uses their Omnitool as much as their gun. More so in ME3, since powers are dependent on loadout now
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    There's a bit in ME3: Omega when you can just fix the city-threatening tech problem if you're an Engineer, but that's only one instance and not nearly enough.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-01 06:35:28
    Metroid Prime 2 Minimalist Hypermode: Torvus done.

Two more deaths to Grapple Guardian.  He isn't hard (the pylons regen you plenty), just very long and easy to fuck up and die instantly if you clip a wall.  Five charge shots stuns him.  Use super missiles if you get him caught on a pylon, because more spawn when he hits it.

Save your light ammo for the final phase.  Shoot him with four charged power beam shots, and use light on the fifth to stun -- you have just enough time to pump another charged light down his mouth before he closes it.  Then wait calmly on the other side of a pylon while he throws a tantrum.  Do that twice and he's dead.

Chykka, likewise, is more long than hard, died on the first try, and is more likely to damage you with carpal tunnel than anything.  He gives huge breathers to regen all damage you take as long as you're not an idiot and get hit several times in a row.  Beam can destroy everything you'd expect to use seeker missiles on.  When he surfaces to tongue-snare you, break it with charged light to the face, then super missile or dark beam to the chest.  Farm missiles from the minions to top off before finishing the first phase.

Light Chykka is a douche and normal beamspam is your best bet.  Wing hardpoints take three missiles apiece, and you get no ammo during this part.  As you grapple toward his back, fire a dummy charge shot so your seeker charge doesn't waste a missile.  Do two full salvos to all of his wings, then destroy two more with your last missiles.  The other two have to be broken one at a time with beamspam, and you have to stun him all over again each time.  All his attacks are telegraphed clearly and dodged simply -- the only tricky part is remembering to wait a bit before jumping his spitballs, because he will lead you vertically.

Dark Chykka is easy enough, even if you wasted all your light ammo on the first form.  Use what you have then wait for minions to refill ammo and missiles.  The only thing to watch out for is his spitball barrage, which is more of a shotgun than his light form's sweep and can fuck you up right quick if you're not expecting it.  Grapple around to dodge.  If you're grappling away from minions, listen for the barrage so you don't get plastered in the face as you turn around.

Almost died to the 2x Grenchlers on the way out of Torvus, because they're right in the way and there's no room to maneuver around them.  >:(

I got to Sanctuary, but died to the pirate ambush on the bridge.  I'll try it again later this week.

Total deaths: 48
  • I would appreciate it if ME let my Engineer do Engineer stuff every once in a while.

I'm still angry that the Geth Mindscape quest in ME3 gives all Shepherds a gun tool. A good Engineer uses their Omnitool as much as their gun. More so in ME3, since powers are dependent on loadout now
    I think it's something of a holdover of ME1's class system being /completely/ ass-backwards. I mean, ME1 would have you believe that after, what, eleven years of active military service that five out of six possible Shepards still hadn't learned how to competently use anything but a pistol but then over the course of like a year and a half acquired the ability to use any weapon.

As it is Mass Effect was already working with an asston of variables and it kinda stands to reason that something like class selection would fall to the wayside when story decisions have to be accounted for (especially considering classes can be changed in between games)

• The class and level system in ME1 is one of the most bafflingly inept implementations of the concept I've seen

It's not even TECHNICALLY horrible it's just brazenly unsuited to the game.
    The rubble textures in Fallout 4 broke.

They just...broke.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The land of apocalypse opals.
  • I just finished watching Guilty Crown, so the idea of apocalypse-related crystalline structures is especially relevant.
    They only seem to do that from one angle.
  • i'm the broken apocalypse texturing
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Haven said:

i'm the broken apocalypse texturing

i mean, you are bastion
  • I'm the health bar
  • Calica said:

Haven said:

i'm the broken apocalypse texturing

i mean, you are bastion
    point!
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-03 07:33:18
    I've been poking around with the custom Hexcells levels on Reddit.

Fucking...Zelox's levels are some of the most brutal things I've ever seen.  They're not unsolvable, and I've done about half of them, but from what other users have said they're nasty enough to break the editor's autosolver and I totally believe it.  Finding cells on it is like pulling teeth with a pipe wrench.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    hexcells is a puzzle game.  sort of a cross between minesweeper and picross, on a hex grid
  • ahahaha

In the last five seconds of a match, I put down an ink mine, then lost a gun fight, then got to watch my killer walk straight into my mine--killing them right before the buzzer.

It was the best thing that's happened the entire time I've had this game.
  • edited 2015-12-03 15:01:22
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Xenoblade X status: Has the best British voice as a choice for female playable characters.
  • Calica said:

hexcells is a puzzle game.  sort of a cross between minesweeper and picross, on a hex grid

Specifically, one known for never having to guess -- though sometimes the logic can get a bit crazy.
    I got over 170,000 credits in Elite Dangerous just from hanging around the police in resource extraction sites and shooting whoever they'd shoot at. If I spent about an hour there I reckon I'd get almost a million.
  • edited 2015-12-04 03:10:31
    I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I bought the new Shipwrecked expansion for Don't Starve. So far, I'm really enjoying it - I love making small, self-sufficient fortresses, and this expansion is excellent for that.
    Apparently Telltale is making a Batman game.

My only question is; "Where's my Daily Planet series?"
  • I still have a rant to write about The Walking Dead, Season 2

It's a disappointment in a lot of the right ways, but in so many of the wrong ways.
  • In retrospect, I can't think of another time where every single plot setup just craters as thoroughly as in Walking Dead season 2. It's actually kind of amazing. 

Probably the best was the cliffhanger of episode 4 into the start of episode 5 though. Suddenly, evil Russians from nowheree! A blastout with high powered rifles at close distances! Wow! Except all the Russians died immediately despite having the group surrounded and being the ones to open fire.
  • snakebird hurts my head
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

snakebird hurts my head

Yeah. ... yeah.

Snakebird is top wonderful though so it's all well.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I don't think I will ever be able to beat the bonus stages of that game.

There's a key change or whatever in this song that made me want to cry all of a sudden.
    xenoblade x is really really good you guys

...You know, I've unfortunately been unable to contribute to any of the crowdfunding campaigns that I've taken interest in due to a lack of money myself, but I'm extremely tempted to find a way to change that for this one, even if it is probably a long way off.

Teaser trailer here. Double Fine's doing it via Fig, with a goal of $3.3 million. It's lofty, but I have hope.
  • I'm surprised they would.  From what I heard, the first game was so unusually rough getting through the process that by the end they were all thoroughly sick of it.  Which is a shame, because it was fucking great.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    how can it cost $3.3 million to make a game
    Jane said:

gotta pay folks

jeez, how much do game maker peoples make? I gotta get in on this

^nice tits
  • MachSpeed said:

There's a key change or whatever in this song that made me want to cry all of a sudden.
    Yeah, something about this song was brutally effective, especially over the end credits.
  • the shark guy is cute

Jane said:

gotta pay folks

jeez, how much do game maker peoples make? I gotta get in on this

^nice tits
    Remember, this is 3 years worth of salary for 65 people.
    fair enough.

Man, remember the good ol' days when, like, four people could make a game in six months or something