General Video Game Thread

Comments

• edited 2015-11-04 18:19:35
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    I get newgrounds edginess. nothing in this article suggests he's particularly different from the usual newgrounds person, just a more dedicated and self-reflective version of them.

"He shares that horror remains his favorite film genre while
    gesturing towards some Jason Voorhes figurines (“There’s something
    simplistic about it. I just like the idea of a retarded killer—an
    unkillable retarded killer is very appealing to me.”) neatly lined up on
    his window sill. A wrinkly poster for Evil Dead 2 hangs in the background.
    "

like I know where this stuff comes from. I assumed that BoI (and newgrounds shit in general) comes from a 2000s-era american-kid-in-hyperreligious-environment-with-dissenting-thoughts-or-damage-from-the-experience mindset and that is exactly what this article is going into.

I was already a really black sheep in the family—I was this weird artistic kid … but there was a lot of pulling me aside and explaining to me that what I was doing [and things that I liked were] evil,” McMillen recalls."

also

With Isaac, it was an angsty, frustrated take on religion. I
    definitely went in feeling [like], ‘I’ll show them!’ and I came out
    feeling like, well, I can’t deny that if I didn’t grow up Catholic I
    wouldn’t have all these pieces. It’s an incredibly creative religion.
    And rituals are calming and comforting… I don’t know,” he trails off.
    “You come out different… [and] grow up a bit.

local man reconciles r/atheism with catholicism
  • edited 2015-11-04 18:21:27
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    He was doing this stuff before Newgrounds, and doing your same tired "lol Newgrounds edginess" crap gets tiring when I'm always trying to say, yeah, you know, it started way before that, and simplifying someone's experiences to loledgy just... utterly rubs me the wrong way. Because that's what consistently happens, alongside snide jokes about abortions and whatnot. It's tiring and old.
  • edited 2015-11-04 18:24:04
    Yeah, this stuff existed before newgrounds. It's a pretty shared aesthetic. South Park become a series in 1997, but it was built after the creators saw the popularity of their first two videos, one released in '92 and the other in '95 The latter - surprise! - was a viral video on the early internet.

Newgrounds was founded in 1995.

Go ahead and enjoy your james but when peopel get pissed off at this guy and/or his studio I just think, fuck, relax and play another top down shooter for a bit and deal with the fact that this other game's visuals aren't literally shit and blood. the community has built this trained outrage whenever the game doesn't meet their expectations and it's much the same with gamer culture in general.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Okay I think my ideas aren't even being engaged, as always happens, so I'm not going to bother again.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Sex Grips said:

whenever the game doesn't meet their expectations and it's much the same with gamer culture in general.

...Do you even understand what people are complaining about?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    SG, please stop projecting your dislike of the game onto the assumed character of the creators and tacitly insulting and condescending to people who like things that you don't in the process. I don't even play this game and I can tell you're being a smug jackass from fifty paces. It is really unbecoming.

And really, you've done this sort of borderline troll pontificating a lot lately. Maybe you want to step back and reassess how you treat other people before you generate another wall of text about something you have no real investment in, ne?
  • edited 2015-11-04 19:19:07
    well, it's good to see everyone editing their posts after i respond to them

i try not to talk about boi because yes i hate it but i really don't see anything I'm saying about this guy as being unfounded. you don't have to agree with it but if i'm literally citing shit I'm not being a "smug jackass", especially when I'm not insulting any of you for playing it (though i definitely see that i am to be insulted for insulting the game). boi is as much an american-counterculture zeitgeist as south park is and if everyone feels otherwise despite this guy doing interviews where he talks about what almost every american kid went through/sometimes still goes through, that's their own damn business.

i commented this time because this is a guy who develops games who's receiving a lot of shit from a community for varyingly valid reasons and it's the same "gamers get demanding --> creator gets belligerent" cycle that happened with phil fish and i think it's both annoying (internet drama) and bad (everyone gets mad, problems will be resolved or not resolved regardless of anger, but the dev will also get personally condemned for it). as someone who makes games himself and has watched tons of devs get watched so intently by fans it hits on a personal note for me. they don't even really have the option of being non-public, because being a public personality is part of how you do marketing as an indie dev.
  • I was not asking to be preached to but ok.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

I was not asking to be preached to but ok.

I don't think anybody was.
  • So between this and the dudes who keep popping into my twitter mentions to yell at me for "posting spoilers publicly" I now have nowhere to gripe with annoyance at an aspect of a game that I otherwise enjoy that bothers me.

Coooooooooool.
    I'm sorry for contributing, QP.
  • edited 2015-11-04 19:56:04
    We can do anything if we do it together.

So between this and the dudes who keep popping into my twitter mentions to yell at me for "posting spoilers publicly" I now have nowhere to gripe with annoyance at an aspect of a game that I otherwise enjoy that bothers me.

Coooooooooool.
    Just do it in your thread.

If Sex Grips follows you there, you can get his posts deleted.
  • edited 2015-11-04 20:01:52
    I don't know why you guys think I'm some goddamn marauder.

Like, would it have been valid for me to raise this much shit back when I got this response to talking about my musical interests? I wouldn't have done it anyway, but jesus.

I don't have anything else to say about boi anyway. You "can" go on in here.
    "Goddamn marauder" is a serious exaggeration of any sentiment, is all I'll say.
  • And like

I own Nuclear Throne too

it's a pretty good game and I've been a fan since I bought it like two years ago.

It doesn't have very much in common with Isaac other than sharing a genre, so I'm not sure why you're trying to convince me that it's somehow better or something? I like both games, though I find the cult of personality that's developed around Rami super fuckin' creepy.
  • I just bought the new Isaac expansion, and finally got my new graphics card so I can play it, is there anything I should look out for the first time I play it?
  • I just bought the new Isaac expansion, and finally got my new graphics card so I can play it, is there anything I should look out for the first time I play it?

there's an item that looks like a VR headset, it's really cool, pick it up.
  • also try getting to Womb II / In Utero II before 30 minutes.
  • edited 2015-11-04 20:09:15
    Crystal said:

"Goddamn marauder" is a serious exaggeration of any sentiment, is all I'll say.

I basically got called an asshole by two people.

And like

I own Nuclear Throne too

it's a pretty good game and I've been a fan since I bought it like two years ago.

It doesn't have very much in common with Isaac other than sharing a genre, so I'm not sure why you're trying to convince me that it's somehow better or something? I like both games, though I find the cult of personality that's developed around Rami super fuckin' creepy.
    I don't mean to say "this game is ostensibly better", just that I normally see extreme feelings on specific games being best justified as "I don't have another option", so I figured I'd throw some out there. (I also linked Crimsonland.) You don't seem obsessive or whatever, if that's what you're wondering.

Rami does good stuff though he does have a pretty huge public image regardless. It's exacerbated by the fact that he basically travels and talks/advocates/whatever everywhere. I think he's managing it well (eg: people got mad at him because he basically implied that dropping out of school to make games was a good idea, and he didn't lose it or whatever, he mentioned it in his tweets and then recently did a presentation that basically said "your first game(s) is(are) going to fail, if you're getting into this you need to make sure you *can* fail"). It is definitely an anomaly and it could certainly get too defensive of him and become cultish.
  • Outside of actual new character, are there characters from vanilla rebirth that are different now? Whether it's tweaks, or just a different way in which they work with the new items.
  • most people who I know who play BOI also play Nuclear Throne
    Sex Grips said:

i try not to talk about boi because yes i hate it but i really don't see anything I'm saying about this guy as being unfounded. you don't have to agree with it but if i'm literally citing shit I'm not being a "smug jackass", especially when I'm not insulting any of you for playing it (though i definitely see that i am to be insulted for insulting the game). boi is as much an american-counterculture zeitgeist as south park is and if everyone feels otherwise despite this guy doing interviews where he talks about what almost every american kid went through/sometimes still goes through, that's their own damn business.

i commented this time because this is a guy who develops games who's receiving a lot of shit from a community for varyingly valid reasons and it's the same "gamers get demanding --> creator gets belligerent" cycle that happened with phil fish and i think it's both annoying (internet drama) and bad (everyone gets mad, problems will be resolved or not resolved regardless of anger, but the dev will also get personally condemned for it). as someone who makes games himself and has watched tons of devs get watched so intently by fans it hits on a personal note for me. they don't even really have the option of being non-public, because being a public personality is part of how you do marketing as an indie dev.

And yet your response to, say, Crystal's responses to your comments has been "not listening, can't hear you, what was that noise, ignoring it." Nobody's arguing about whether or not it's a zeitgeist or whatever you're on about, but with your whole attitude and your refusal to listen to what other people are saying in response, making your "points" as if in a vacuum. It's cantankerous and puerile and you need to at least pretend you are having a real conversation instead of making it all about your dislike of this game being "vindicated" by stupid Internet Drama.

And yes, that latter point makes you come off as smug. It is practically the dictionary definition of the word. You are gloating about how a developer is supposedly showing their true colours because they made a game you don't like that supposedly reflects a culture you don't like. That is smug.

Now stop it before I have to actually do something beyond tell you off.
  • I don't mean to say "this game is ostensibly better", just that I normally see extreme feelings on specific games being best justified as "I don't have another option", so I figured I'd throw some out there. (I also linked Crimsonland.)

I have plenty of top-down arena shooters with roguelike elements in my Steam library (Isaac itself, Nukeseat, Our Darker Purpose and Wizard's Lizard). So I appreciate the concern I suppose but, nah, I'm good.

I don't put 300 hours into a game I don't like (I actually have substantially more than that in Rebirth but it's hard to know how much exactly, I pirated the game before buying it).

It is definitely an anomaly and it could certainly get too defensive of him and become cultish.

What I have seen basically amounts to "everyone loves Rami" and that to me is sort of weird.

I don't follow talks and that kind of thing (I don't make games and given how tedious the process itself seems to be, I likely never will) so I suppose I am an outsider in that regard.
  • edited 2015-11-04 20:14:27
    I'm still not sure how being called an asshole - which rather simplifies the more specific issues mentioned with trying to talk to you - is still equivalent. I don't even think you're an asshole. Personally, if I think someone is an asshole, or acting like one, I say as much.
  • Outside of actual new character, are there characters from vanilla rebirth that are different now? Whether it's tweaks, or just a different way in which they work with the new items.

the new mode unlocks additional items that the characters can start with. Cain starts with the Paperclip trinket now, for instance, which makes him much better.

Azazel is fucked up after last night's patch and I'd wait until they fix it to do anything with him.

Judas is slightly worse in comparison with base Rebirth because a longstanding bug with The Book of Belial was fixed (when used on a boss room it was supposed to--and now does--give you an extra 25% chance of getting a Deal With The Devil, for a long time it gave you an extra 2,500% chance, which, whoops). IMO though it still makes him good.

Lilith is weird and I still don't fully understand her from a gameplay perspective. Just avoid Mom's Knife as her and you'll be good.
  • Sex Grips said:

And yet your response to, say, Crystal's responses to your comments has been "not listening, can't hear you, what was that noise, ignoring it." Nobody's arguing about whether or not it's a zeitgeist or whatever you're on about, but with your whole attitude and your refusal to listen to what other people are saying in response, making your "points" as if in a vacuum. It's cantankerous and puerile and you need to at least pretend you are having a real conversation instead of making it all about your dislike of this game being "vindicated" by stupid Internet Drama.

And yes, that latter point makes you come off as smug. It is practically the dictionary definition of the word. You are gloating about how a developer is supposedly showing their true colours because they made a game you don't like that supposedly reflects a culture you don't like. That is smug.

We're cool Sredni, it's fine. I overreacted.
  • edited 2015-11-04 20:30:54

Sex Grips said:

If you wanna ban me, honestly, do it. I ought to be doing other things with my time than posting here and that'd be a pretty solid way to keep me from getting preoccupied with this place.
    Crystal said:

I'm still not sure how being called an asshole - which rather simplifies the more specific issues mentioned with trying to talk to you - is still equivalent. I don't even think you're an asshole. Personally, if I think someone is an asshole, or acting like one, I say as much.

Like I linked in my other post, I just don't really get how what I do differs significantly from other things I've seen happen in response to my own tastes/et cetera. I'm just really frank with it, while most people like to dress it with irony or sarcasm. I didn't ignore anything you said; if I "did", it's just that I have no response to "the way you phrase things irritates me". I can say the exact same thing about a lot of people here and elsewhere, and I just don't see the point in confronting them about it because I don't see it changing (partially because everyone else thinks it's fine). I don't like to upset you at all, but I don't think I can see myself restructuring the way I talk about things to avoid doing so. It's a virtue to have a soft touch when talking to others but I can't muster it, especially not in public text and especially not when I figure most other people largely behave similarly in text.
    Sex Grips said:

Sex Grips said:

If you wanna ban me, honestly, do it. I ought to be doing other things with my time than posting here and that'd be a pretty solid way to keep me from getting preoccupied with this place.
    Crystal said:

Like I linked in my other post, I just don't really get how what I do differs significantly from other things I've seen happen in response to my own tastes/et cetera. I'm just really frank with it, while most people like to dress it with irony or sarcasm. I didn't ignore anything you said; if I "did", it's just that I have no response to "the way you phrase things irritates me". I can say the exact same thing about a lot of people here and elsewhere, and I just don't see the point in confronting them about it because I don't see it changing (partially because everyone else thinks it's fine). I don't like to upset you at all, but I don't think I can see myself restructuring the way I talk about things to avoid doing so. It's a virtue to have a soft touch when talking to others but I can't muster it, especially not in public text and especially not when I figure most other people largely behave similarly in text.

I think we try to avoid that kind of asinine "what you like sucks and I take glee in making you feel bad for it" shit around here, and I think that you enjoy this sort of response to your own tastes and interests about as much as anyone here enjoys your similar responses to theirs. Saying that you don't like a thing is fine, but the bare minimum of things like tact and empathy are to be expected.

As for banning you: No. You have not done anything egregiously awful. But you might want to cool your heels and think about how you say what you say for a while lest you be probated.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Salut, je suis Wiley Wiggins! Bienvenue a Fantastic Arcade!
  • now i am imagining a french animated feature from the 80s called Fantastic Arcade

that'd be a cool show
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :3
  • i wanna find that one about the fox man now
    "Like I linked in my other post ... et cetera."

I'm not sure I understand the relation. Above that linked post, I see Jane detailing hip hop stuff, and below that I see... a correction, I guess? I'm not sure I even see the issue.

"the way you phrase things irritates me" "changing"

Like, that is exactly what I'm not talking about. I largely take no issue with how people talk around here. My comments were not about that in any capacity. Crystal, "sometimes you phrase things in a confusing way" (sometimes with "and it makes deciphering your point difficult"), is fundamentally different from Crystal, "you're being overly aggressive", both of which I've (accurately) been called at times.

Essentially all I said was that I felt like my ideas weren't being engaged with, or it was going the way conversations in the past have, alongside feelings of disrespect. Which is seriously different from "goddamn marauder."
    If the "goddamn marauder" remark relates to telling Jane to post in her thread, then I did phrase that comment kinda meanly and I apologize for that.

I won't lie and say your remarks didn't kinda annoy me, however. I'll elaborate on this if you want me to.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    naney said Combichrist are bad, maybe kind of blunt if you're a fan but clearly a valid opinion

but the issue here is this kinda extended pontificating about 'newgrounds culture' which dismisses the actual substance of arguments being made by shoving them into a box marked 'taking this too seriously', and that's annoying
    Besides everything else, is Newgrounds culture even still seriously a thing nowadays?
    Yep! We just grew up into adults, is all.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    tbf Sex Grips specifically said '2000s-era'

talking about Edmund's background not the present
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-11-05 01:47:40

While I think what Sex Grips said about the creator of BOI was harsh, I do not think the reaction to it was really warranted (though granted, if there is more context to this than just the last couple of pages, feel free to point it out and correct me). I think it is fair to criticize a game if you would like, even if that game happens to be popular here.

Of course, criticizing the people who play the game is another thing altogether. I did not personally see as much of that in Sex Grips' comments as other people seemed to have, but I will admit that I dislike BOI, so I have a bit of bias here. Honestly, I worry sometimes that this site tends to be kind of intolerant of dissenting voices/opinions in general.
  • edited 2015-11-05 14:12:49
    LW said:

While I think what Sex Grips said about the creator of BOI was harsh, I do not think the reaction to it was really warranted (though granted, if there is more context to this than just the last couple of pages, feel free to point it out and correct me). 

Literally just the last few posts and then parts of this as it branched into something different.
    LW said:

I think it is fair to criticize a game if you would like, even if that game happens to be popular here.

I don't think you'll find anyone disagreeing with that. If I were playing it right now instead of putting gaming on hold I'd probably be doing that right now.
    LW said:

Honestly, I worry sometimes that this site tends to be kind of intolerant of dissenting voices/opinions in general.

Again, not something I see. Every site, every community, every small or large group online will have a majority or like-majority or similar opinion. It's just sort of inevitable as opinions congregate.

... but one of our co-founders is ostensibly anarchist and/or libertarian, for example, while I'm pretty sure not everyone fulfills both of those. Like, SG is still around, and can and has argued his side the entire time.

To clarify, at worst, I thought my ideas weren't being engaged (which was somehow mistaken for phrasing talk even though it wasn't like that), and I called him patronizing. At no point did I call him or anyone else an asshole, or a goddamn marauder, and similar. If I think someone is being [thing], I, you know, do that. If I am wrong or too whatever, I expect to be quoted and given a different viewpoint. If it weren't tolerant of dissenting voices/opinions in general we would have significantly less people here. I mean, yeah Vash came in, but also this is Vashtar? He doesn't come in for every little thing he disagrees with, or point out his moderator powers, to every little thing that prickles him (because like anyone else he is capable of differentiating these things; it's required of a mod). We're never not just a congregation of people with roughly similar interest.
  • edited 2015-11-05 21:55:53
    ftr the marauder thing was "if sex grips follows you to your thread", which I felt indicates people (not just section) thinking I'm chasing them around to tell them how i feel about their tastes.

this is the kind of thing i'm used to gamers throwing at devs. "feel guilt for your intensely late [as in, a few days] [weekly, in this case non-severe-bugfixing] update [after 94 updates delivered weekly]". i'm used to pietpiet being a bit short-tempered and defensive, like most devs, which is very likely because this is how a large number of the people who bother to contact the team talk to them. which is why, without seeking out a history of the boi drama, i went straight to "just play something else".
    Sex Grips said:

ftr the marauder thing was "if sex grips follows you to your thread", which I felt indicates people (not just section) thinking I'm chasing them around to tell them how i feel about their tastes.

Did you even see my apology for that?

I admitted that was kinda mean of me.
  • edited 2015-11-05 22:10:25
    naw, yeah, i saw it. don't worry about it, just wanted to make sure that was understood by crystal.
    LW said:

Of course, criticizing the
    people who play the game is another thing altogether. I did not
    personally see as much of that in Sex Grips' comments as other people
    seemed to have, but I will admit that I dislike BOI, so I have a bit of
    bias here. Honestly, I worry sometimes that this site tends to be kind
    of intolerant of dissenting voices/opinions in general.

I don't want to ever advocate for bullshit like "right to be offended"
    but I'm gonna have to say that the enforcement of "you can't insult
    pieces of media (even without displaying -isms)" is going to inevitably
    be uneven-handed/populist (beyond me thinking it's kind of dumb). you could argue
    that insulting things people like is disruptive/trolling (it /is/ antagonistic, but argument and/or debate are inherently antagonistic; it's of course possible to minimize hurt feelings by avoiding personal attacks) but I don't think single messages in general
    threads count (in this case, it wasn't a single message because it was
    engaged with). i'm not going in the boi thread and going "boi sucks" or nuffen.
  • edited 2015-11-05 22:15:57
    I saw it, thought it would've made sense to me to @ me since it was @ me.

I'm not even sure how to address the rest of your comment, since nobody here even thinks you can't insult pieces of media. Do you know how often that happens around here? Or how often we argue about media in general? Since a fair enough number of regulars are open to discussions and whatnot concerning media as a whole, and specific pieces of media.
  • but argument and/or debate are inherently antagonistic

that just plain isn't true unless you get very fiddly with the definitions of several of those words.

also lol, "debate"
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I saw Marauder and all I thought of was the BattleMech
  • so anyway the Evil Eye is a pretty cool item.

so anyway the Evil Eye is a pretty cool item.

I really like it.
    Mushihimesama, a beautiful fantasy-themed danmaku first released in Japanese arcades in 2004 and made by the venerable Cave, is now on Steam and translated into English. The level design is top-notch and very challenging. Modes include Novice (for babbies), Original (fugging hard), Maniac (absurdly hard), Ultra (will instantly annihilate you), and Arrange (a somewhat different rebalanced version originating on PS2). Like any good shmup, there are online leaderboards, replay sharing, and a training mode. The (until now) super-rare Version 1.5 is also available as paid DLC, as is the game's lovely soundtrack. Miko highly recommends this game. :3