A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• Sex Grips said:

RE HELLO NASTY

naney said:

I tried listening to that album once

i like it :( it's got too many tracks for its own good (apparently so do most hip hop albums?) but a few of them are gold

it's a problem with a certain kind of rap album.

if you're looking to get into hip-hop tho I am your witch
  • edited 2015-08-14 19:44:20
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut

Sex Grips said:

RE HELLO NASTY

naney said:

I tried listening to that album once

i like it :( it's got too many tracks for its own good (apparently so do most hip hop albums?) but a few of them are gold

it's a problem with a certain kind of rap album.

if you're looking to get into hip-hop tho I am your witch
    I appreciate the offer, though normally i kind of just pick up albums as i find them interesting. Which is admittedly harder to do with hip hop, I guess, because I don't think of it much.

As far as I can tell there are three main genres of rap types of verses:
    1. Brag rap: MC details their possessions; their sexual conquests; their superiority or power over the listener/others;
    2. Complain rap: MC talks about a real world issue, or personal issues
    3. Party rap: MC hypes up an imaginary party, which can be YOUR party if you play it at your party

I don't really care about Party Rap (it's basically all the beastie boys did other than nonsense lyrics, but I can appreciate the MCing despite that). complain rap is fine by me and if I can relate or it's a subject i'm familiar with then I can even like it a lot (I love Killer Mike's Reagan). But I fucking hate brag rap. (I hate that sort of lyrical subject in general. it's not as common in the genres I listen to but when I find it it turns me off.)

I'm quite interested in stuff that depicts a sort of setting or tells a (weirder) fictional story like Deltron 3030 or, for the most whacked out stuff I've listened to, halfsharkalligatorhalfman by Kool Keith. I just usually don't find it too good...like, Virus is good, but the rest of Deltron 3030 is basically randomized vaguely-sci fi nonsense. (Virus feels a hell of a lot more focused and well-told than the rest of the album.)

Listening to halfsharkalligatorhalfman again, maybe I should give the Dr. Octagonecologyst another shot. Again, mostly randomized nonsense, but. iunno. i like it more maybe because i'm not a B-movie snob as I am a sci fi snob.

Blackalicious's Deception is also good enough that I'll have to go through their stuff sometime. fits into the sort of "story" section but it's obviously not as out-there as either of the two other things i mentioned.

• OK well your first problem is trying to sort rap into boxes and then push away some of those boxes.

The things you mentioned are all interconnected and it is difficult to get away from any particular one. There are very few rappers who make only one kind of song (career battle rappers like Percee P notwithstanding).

Take Kendrick Lamar's "Backseat Freestyle" (which is, incidentally, not actually a freestyle, but we'll get to that in a second)

ostensibly it seems to be a pretty materialistic--even shallow--track. You don't get much more blunt than "I pray my dick get big as the Eiffel Tower".

But, in the context of the album it's from--good kid mAAd city--it's part of a larger story. The song comes immediately following a skit where a young Kendrick's friends pop in a beat CD and egg him on to freestyle, hence the name of the song, it's part of a larger narrative about young Kendrick's life experiences growing up in Compton.

Now that's a very obvious example, and most rap albums are not concept albums in the same way GKMC is, but you get what I mean. You can't sort hip-hop into categories like that or you'll just get frustrated.
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Well I mean I'm used to having to dissect albums and stuff. half of combichrist's stuff is gross misogyny but then the other half is either punchy evil and/or mechanical-sounding techno with or without horror lyrics. i am the Creature from the Black Shuffle-oon

Fear of a Black Tangent has Map Your Psyche which is basically 3 or 4 bragrap verses (collaboration track) and i usually tolerate it but like if i'm making playlists i leave it out.
  • combichrist is just bad

if you want mechanical sounding techno you might wanna listen to like actual techno
  • I have oodles of actual techno recommendations
  • I am not sure I'd call anything Busdriver's ever been in the same room as "brag rap", but OK.

I can't help you with making playlists because I don't listen to music that way (and don't really understand why anyone would, aside from long car trips), so you're on your own there.
  • edited 2015-08-14 20:17:29
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    living up to my signature here.

'preciate the initial offer, regardless.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    You posted that image twice.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Are we still talking about rap? What other albums out there have production that sounds like 1956

• Well skipping through a couple tracks this doesn't really seem like a rap album.

But um, hmm.

Try Madlib's Beat Konducta vol. 1-2? It's like, way busier than this, but the general vibe is similar.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Well, songs like "Sarpodyl", "Life to False Metal", "Judah", "Lordy Child", and "Dry Bones" are holdovers from Soul-Junk's prior life as a garage rock act. 

But if songs like "ill-m-i", "How We Flow", "Eyes, Externally', "Pumpfake", or "The Peacemaker" aren't really rap, then I don't know what to think anymore.
  • edited 2015-08-15 12:43:57
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I think the reason why I didn't like the second opening song for Stardust Crusaders - 'Sono Chi no Kioku' - is because unlike all the others, it doesn't really have a consistent build-up. It's more like the conflicting tones of a duet in a musical number, which does make a lot of sense. I thought it sounded choppy, strange, conflicted.

Now that I know what the terms are, I enjoy it a lot more.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that's great
  • OPN is releasing a new album, called Garden Of Delete, and weird stuff is happening. http://dl.pointnever.com/tothefans.pdf
  • it's the excision/datsik font

has opn gone full dubstep
  • cal chuchesta dropped a mixtape

the first track is him rapping badly about making food over the Hot N*gga beat and then he argues with himself about xXx vs. Gone In 60 Seconds

why
  • Anthony Fantano's deliberately bad and unfunny "comedy" persona
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Is everybody on his dick like they're supposed to be?
  • this thing has a 3pac feature that's how you know it's quality
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I like Pet Shop Boys. There's an online radio stream that's nothing but PSB 24/7 (with some songs they were involved with as well) and I'll occasionally pop it on while going to sleep because it often helps me doze off.

They've got a new album hitting next year and I'm excited for it. Electric was nice.
  • edited 2015-08-20 23:43:55
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I am cautiously optimistic.
  • naney said:

I didn't know the meaning of laughter until I saw this post
  • Meek Mills seems to be the only Philadelphia music person of note working right now and that makes me sad. 

That and maybe the occasional immortal bar band like Doctor Dog or a sprinkling of Goth acts.

Black Thought tho
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ...true point. Thank glob, someone respectable.
  • squarepusher's Go Plastic sounds exactly like a more innept Kid 606 with no sense of humour, 4/10
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I think the music in Hey Arnold had a small effect on my slight enjoyment of jazz/chillout/ambient music
  • I actually really like lil ugly mane
  • Send Em 2 Tha Essence

no but you should check out Denzel Curry (and Raider Klxn in general) if you like Ugly Mane.
  • what are your thoughts on him anyways?

oh also this is one of his album blurbs on bandcamp: ***edit*** just clearing up speculation from emails asking "what band does that one song" ect. No band made any of these songs. All of the three sided tapes have been compilations of music I've made (mostly by myself) over the last 15 years that I forgot about, lost, hated or other people didn't like when I attempted to play it for them. If I was gonna make a compilation of "songs I like" or "heady jams you should check out", you would know because it would mostly just be that cover of "I wanna hold your hand" by the Beatles that those barking dogs did, repeated a dozen timeS. That version is so good. I never liked the Beatles at all until I heard that version. there's a certain dissonance in the original version that i love and never noticed until those mangy mutts kicked down the door and forced me to acknowledge the contributions of the fab four. Also there was a whatchamacallit candy bar commercial when I was a kid that had an incredible song that I still listen to a lot And I'd probably credit it with giving birth to my lifelong interest in music. Also I'm not gonna make a tracklist for this because it would require me to think of names and titles for two hours worth of shit like "cbjn457bbbbb.mp3"
  • that is the most relatable thing I have ever read from an artistic perspective
  • I like Ugly when he actually raps, but like a lot of MCs that are sort of on the border between "good at rapping but weird" and "bad at rapping but people like them because it's weird", he goes too often to the latter for my taste.

That said, "Twistin'" is a great song.
  • also I'll never be able to compete with Pee-wee's Big Adventure. None of us can. We're not talented enough. It's too good. It's why i never finished high school. Its why I cant go on.
  • idk I largely don't like lengthy injokey Bandcamp descriptions even tho I sometimes use them myself.
  • personally I like his strong sense of imagery and his conceptual consistency, those are two things I look a lot for when listening to music and he delivers in spades
  • but really if you like Ugly you should check out most of Raider Klan

I'd maybe start with Blackland Radio 6.66 by Spaceghostpurrp.
  • someday I will make a track entirely out of pee-wee herman samples
  • but really if you like Ugly you should check out most of Raider Klan

I'd maybe start with Blackland Radio 6.66 by Spaceghostpurrp.

• I seen ur post don't worry
  • ok gud

tell me what u think of RK.

They've since disbanded bc Purrp kinda started dissing everyone and then got involved in a fight with a 13 year old so dude's fallen pretty far from where he was at his peak.