Anime

Comments

• kill living beings
    the amount of obvious retconning in jojo is pretty funny
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    also One Piece has, at least so far, largely managed to avoid the ridiculous power level escalations that plague similar series like Bleach and DBZ, which again i think is the result of planning stuff in advance

like, Luffy gets dramatically stronger over time, but the relative strengths of the various forces and the major players in the conflict are established fairly early on, so it never feels meaningless in the way it can all too easily in shows of that kind
    oh, Jojo, of course

i've only seen Phantom Blood, so far

i appreciated the pace, One Piece kinda drags at times, Phantom Blood moved very quickly
  • edited 2015-10-20 17:25:15
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I am aware that it is supposed to be head and shoulders above the vast majority of its peers, but... 713 episodes to date. I would die. Like, I'll watch 51, 74, even 110 episodes of one anime, but lord have mercy.
    it took me a very long time to catch up

i think the manga moves faster, but i vastly prefer animation
  • kill living beings
    700 20 minute episodes, that would be... uh... long
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yeah, I prefer animation in a lot of cases. But I really don't know if I would be able to muster the emotional investment or the energy even if it were like crack-infused potato chips. I can barely progress in a relatively short series if my funky flow is interrupted.
  • edited 2015-10-20 17:35:57
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that is entirely understandable

one thing i rather miss about the earlier one piece, before the war arc and the time skip, is the scenes where we'd see the straw hats just kinda hanging out with one another, joking around, winding each other up, laughing at stuff

probably a lot of that was filler, but it made them seem like a group of genuine friends, rather than just people on the same side in a fictional conflict

it diminished around about the time Brook showed up, and perhaps that's why, entertaining though he is, he's never quite struck me as having a developed personality in the way that the others do
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Hunter X Hunter
    i will get to it
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    700 episodes is what you get when an anime has been running for 16 years. :P

(See also: Detective Conan, with 793.)
    Torgo said:

Hunter X Hunter

I have it on my shortlist. I will watch it; thoughts will be shared.
    i am trying to persuade my brother to watch it with me

i may have more luck once we have finished Serial Experiments Lain, which i've seen before but he hasn't

700 episodes is what you get when an anime has been running for 16 years. :P

(See also: Detective Conan, with 793.)

I knoooow.
    OpAPHID said:

i am trying to persuade my brother to watch it with me

i may have more luck once we have finished Serial Experiments Lain, which i've seen before but he hasn't

That one is good.

Knowing a little about how DID progresses makes the plot a bit less obscure, though. That, and a nominal understanding of Jung.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Good, good.

Eventually, I'll be watching it (again again) with Miko. Probably this summer, I dunno.
  • 0vvvv0 said:

I have it on my shortlist. I will watch it; thoughts will be shared.

>hunter x hunter

>short
    hey after one piece, 148 episodes doesn't look so bad
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'll be rewatching One Piece with Edlyn once again at some point.

This time, we'll both just watch the FUNimation dub.
    OpAPHID said:

Pretty much. Still twice as long as Monster, or roughly the length of Legend of the Galactic Heroes plus Death Note, but I can handle that given a sufficient amount of time.

Speaking of which, I have avoided Death Note because of how wildly overrated it seems to be and how awful its fans can be (not you, Section), but I might watch it for the hell of it later.
    Death Note is silly operatic fun, as is Code Geass.
    Torgo said:

What I watched:

What I expected:

What I got:

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I quite enjoyed DN as a young teen, even rewatching it multiple times, since it is silly operatic fun. Much like Code Geass too, which I still intend to rewatch because it was just really engaging for me. Or at least, entertaining enough to functionally be engaging. I like them both.

Also I binged Hunter X Hunter (2011) over part of a summer, which did help with things admittedly.
    I have been informed that the cat-and-mouse aspect is actually rather clever and engaging and, as noted, the ham is delicious—and that it massively tones down the sexism from the source material—but I think my inner hipster kicked into high gear regardless. It's like I have these unreasonable standards built in that say, "I will not be typical weeb trash and watch this silly thing when I could be watching Aoi Bungaku or Mind Game, goddamnit!" that keep me from giving in and watching things that are dumb fun. But at the same time, I really don't like snobs, and I don't judge other people for liking schlock or goofy dumb things because I think them getting something that I can't out of it is great. The problem is, finding something genuinely fun and carefree that I can still get into and not get bored by is hard. I don't want to feel like I'm being talked down to.
  • kill living beings
    woooooooooooo

oooooo
    oooo

i haven't even get more than five episodes into part three
    Have you seen Fate/Zero? That's the most recent anime I've seen that pushed the buttons Death Note and Code Geass did
    Death Note is not among my favourite anime, but i don't regret having watched it
    Which is, incidentally, why I treasure stuff like Hozuki no Reitetsu, Fullmetal Alchemist and even The Tatami Galaxy. Or, outside of anime, Steven Universe.
    Torgo said:

Have you seen Fate/Zero? That's the most recent anime I've seen that pushed the buttons Death Note and Code Geass did

Not yet. Also another thing I have thought about getting to but dawdled on despite people I trust digging it.
    incidentally i have tried to watch Monster twice

both times i found it fairly intriguing, and the second time i got considerably further in, but somehow i lost interest both times
  • edited 2015-10-24 17:49:16
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    That's accurate to CG.

My feelings on snobbishness and similar are more or less predictable. As for me, see, I'm coming from the place of watching what I like because I want to, which pretty easily leads to me watching utterly pandering crap like NGNL, or Bikini Warriors to see if it's as silly as expected (for all of one episode). It's hard to feel like I'm being "talked down to" when I choose to pick up whatever, you know?

F/Z manages to be, I feel, clever and engaging enough, coming from someone that's worked through the original material at a dead bird's pace. I'd say Myr's comment is spot-on, while mentioning that none of the fights feel forced - not that I'd expect otherwise - all while being properly entertaining in themselves. Never mind the pretty art. Would recommend.

Likewise for F/SN UBW, although I'm only like halfway through that because reasons.
  • edited 2015-10-24 18:02:47
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    0vvvv0 said:

OpAPHID said:

Pretty much. Still twice as long as Monster, or roughly the length of Legend of the Galactic Heroes plus Death Note, but I can handle that given a sufficient amount of time.

Speaking of which, I have avoided Death Note because of how wildly overrated it seems to be and how awful its fans can be (not you, Section), but I might watch it for the hell of it later.
    FWIW, I'm still not sure how much I still like the show, so it's not like I would've strongly opposed your viewpoint or anything. I feel much the same way about Gurren Lagann at this point.

I intend on rewatching both eventually to find out how much I still like them.
    Also, come to think of it, I thought Kill la Kill was absolutely delightful. So I can definitely appreciate the absurd when I feel like it's been done well.
    Kill la Kill was great, and it's one of the reasons why I'm not sure how much I still like Gurren Lagann.
  • edited 2015-10-24 18:07:39
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Because Imaishi did it better the second time?

Or third, really. KLK is like his first two series in a giant blender with extra '80s thrown in, from what I've gathered.
    Yeah, that.

Then again, I used to think that way for Evangelion vs. FLCL and no longer do, and I also still liked Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt when I watched it not too long ago, so...
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I thought someone from Gurren Lagann also worked on Kamen Rider Fourze, but I don't remember who it was.
    FLCL shares a head writer with Utena, incidentally: Yoji Enokido. He's worked on tonnes of great stuff.
  • flcl was weird because I thought it was pretty good but for someone who wasn't me if that makes sense
    :3 said:

flcl was weird because I thought it was pretty good but for someone who wasn't me if that makes sense

Yes.

I have felt that before but I can't immediately say for what.
    :3 said:

flcl was weird because I thought it was pretty good but for someone who wasn't me if that makes sense

That person is more or less exactly me, I think, which kinda amuses me.

It might also be one of those things that depends on what age you first watched it, too.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I can't really stand Panty and Stocking.

It feels like a thirty minute episode of Sex and Violence Also Machspeed, but without the killer, perfectly-timed, hypocritical juxtaposed jokes.

It's definitely funny to somebody, but that somebody is not me.
  • Non Non Biyori is still good.
    Oh wow, go you, little girl.
  • 0vvvv0 said:

OpAPHID said:

Death Note is incredibly, beautifully, hilariously stupid.
    Brief further aside about said show: I have heard a lot of people bitch about the second half, but what little I know suggests that part to be legit interesting.
  • edited 2015-10-24 21:51:06
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I quite liked the second half, and I feel that they perfectly stuck the ending.
    The only good anime op is Gundoh Musashi

• re: FLCL, one of my favorite anime, but I am not sure how much I could rewatch it.
    Apropos only to the thread subject: I think I am finally coming to accept that I am a sucker for cheesy, campy, or just intensely girly opening and closing themes. I mean, I guess it doesn't entirely count because Yoko Kanno has a reputation, but the opening to The Vision of Escaflowne just makes me irrationally happy whenever I hear/see it.